• This topic has 104 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mahalo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Tweed valley – what a lot of riding!
  • big_scot_nanny

Posting to mention actual mountain biking 🙂

My, isn’t the whole Glentress/Innerleithen area fantastic for a weekend away? We did it last weekend as something of a replacement for our (now non-traditional, damn it!) PPdS weekender. Weather and trail conditions were very alpine! Sunny, dusty, hot. Is it like that all the time in the borders 😉

Friday was supposed to be the Golfie, but hangovers dictated it was a day on various Glentress reds and some off piste. Our decision making was not up to the steep trails! Lovely just the same.

Saturday was Glentress Black, and then back up to the mast as when we had got to that point before on the main loop, loads of folks had recommended and pointed out various off piste options that were all amazing. The main black trail itself was fantastic too. Very enjoyable. the three sons (teenagers) in the group real showed the old boys up! we did something like 60km and about 1600m climbing. Knackered.

Sunday was Adrenalin uplift. It was amazing. So many trails, so many horrifically steep lines on the off piste stuff. So much to keep everyone occupied. Some of the old boys much happier with no need to pedal. Adrenalin were amazing, waiting for no more than a few mins at the bottom before we were back at the top again. Now, an alpine chairlift on a lovely day is a pretty zen place to be. The experience in the back of a dusty van drifting corners at 50mph up a potholed forest road was a little different. 😆 Still it worked brilliantly.

Only casualty was one pedal that just fell apart on my son’s bike (Why oh Why did I buy CB pedals? Every single piece of CB kit I have owned in all my years has spectacularly failed. that was the last ever), and my knees which after three days of knee caps were a bit raw and tender at the front from the rubbing. Need to replace those I think.

Anyway – if you haven’t been – go do it! what a place.

Pic from somewhere on the way up redemption climb. some were not happy with all the climbing 🙂

ta11pau1

Yep it’s awesome up there and enough riding for a full week let along a weekend.

The steepness of some (most!) of the off piste took me by surprise, there were more than a few expletives being said!

intheborders
    Free Member

Sunny, dusty, hot. Is it like that all the time in the borders 😉

No, you had our one day of summer – nothing to see here.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I rememeber last summer… it was a tuesday.

Anyway OP thats a nasty lie, its shit here no one should bother coming.

big_scot_nanny

Apologies – you are right. It was shit!

@ta11pau1
    yeah, shit the bed its steep. internal/external monologue was “keep low, weight down, bend your arms, lean the bike… **** **** ****… made it… **** **** ****… whats this!?!?.. OOOFT… made it…” etc etc

sharkattack

It is brilliant but I haven’t been up there for years as it’s now a 6 hour drive. I’ll have to make the effort since we won’t be going anywhere exotic for the foreseeable future.

Northwind

I didn’t ride down there for most of a year with lockdowns and some health issues, when I went back I genuinely thought “man, this trail’s got way harder, wear and tear’s a killer” about just about everything, before I realised my brain had just reset into Normal mode.

dc1988

I rode Tweedlove a few years back in the rain, it was a fun introduction to some of the steeper and more technical trails.

But yes, it’s rubbish, no-one should go there.

kayak23

Awful place. I actively avoid it.

chickenman

As above, if you don’t go for a while it takes a good many trails before you relax again on the steep stuff.

singlespeedstu

I heard the trails were good so now live here.
    It’s very disappointing and I wouldn’t recommend the riding here at all.
    Wish I’d stayed were I was.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You need a single speed stu.

singlespeedstu

That’s the last thing I need now I live here.😁
    Must give a special mention to how shit prospacker and date night were this morning
    Awful trails.

brads
    Free Member

Been there most of the last fortnight and plan to try and stay there as much as poss until August.

I love the place. Golfie seems to be a new lesson every day for me just now.
    Right side Clyde is my current fave.

Still struggle with the bottom runs at Inners mind.

chickenman

Inners bottoms when it’s really dry and loose can be real front bottoms!

singlespeedstu

Date night was a combination of dust and marbles today.
    No idea how the bike actually got round a couple of the corners on the steepest part of the chute.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

We had a flying visit on the way home from our trip last weekend. Both shocked with the fact it was dry. My favorite part of the hill is still the bit with 2nd Base, Kendal Mint Cake, etc on. Couple of great new trails since we were last up.

We went further north this time, controversially – I preferred the likes of Dunkeld/Scolty & the Deeside trails. There is a lot of hidden gold up there, that’s equally as steep & long, just not quite so battered by volume of riders.

It must be tough picking between all the great places to ride 🙂

frogstomp

Just finishing up a week in Ballater, next stop Tweed Valley.. oh, how I ache! Just in time for a change in the weather too, by the looks of it.

ready

I’m there in a couple of weeks with Mrs Ready. Bit nervous to be honest! Can anyone recommend a few trails to warm up on, rather than us head blindly into a steep techy trail that could end in divorce!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a few trails to warm up on, rather than us head blindly into a steep techy trail that could end in divorce!

Are you want g enduro stuff or do you mean “we want nice fun trails to ride?” if the later you really won’t go wrong with Glentress colour progression.

ready

Thanks @Joshvegas.
    Last question.. Is the Adrenaline Uplift worth booking? Or is Inners a bit more “challenging”??

joshvegas
    Free Member

No idea lifts are cheating and I like my wheels on the ground. If you explain what might cause divorce people will chime in.

If you like and old school drag up fire road and bomb down a row of hills type xc route gypsy Glen is a lovely ride on a warm evening… Which you may or may not get…

Northwind

Couldn’t recommend the uplift except for people who either want to do the dh/offpistes, or who’ll be happy just doing a couple of trails all day. The hill doesn’t have a great mix of trails for less advanced riding, but also it’s also an absolute warren so even if you were to go with a list of more approachable trails it’s often easy to take a wrong turn and end up on something orrible.

You definitely can pick out good options if you want to try some of the offpistes, as a bit of progression/variety from the trailcentres. Like, the Fort and Dave’s Trail at Glentress, or maybe Mast of Zorro, are right on the trail centre routes, or you can throw in Mild Peril as a diversion on the black.

singlespeedstu

Golfie was pretty busy today.
    Think the fire was caused by ebikers with their planet destroying fire starting contraptions.
    Caught these two admiring the aftermath of an ebike ride.
    2021-06-18_04-39-18

@ready

I can show you round a few of the trails if you want as I currently have a bit of time on my hands.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Glentress is pretty fun. Brown Troot great on a hangover. Especially in its current state.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Sorry for jumping on someone else’s thread

So easyjet has beaten Boris and macron to skuppering my trip to the alps with whiteroom 😢 with all my flights cancelled
    I’ve booked myself in a hotel in Innerleithen for a few days from 19th july
    Planning to book the uplift at Innerleithen for one day.
    What shouldn’t I miss

Cheeky question anyone riding tweed valley who don’t mind someone tagging along? 🙂

Although Jimmy crankies announcement regarding Manchester may put a spanner in the works 😞

ChrisL

lightfighter762 Full Member
    Glentress is pretty fun. Brown Troot great on a hangover. Especially in its current state.

What is the current state of Broon Troot (sic)?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Although Jimmy crankies announcement

Don’t be a cock.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Agree^

jodafett

Don’t be a cock.

Don’t be cranky.

(Couldn’t resist)

militantmandy
    Free Member

What is the current state of Broon Troot (sic)?

Running great a couple of weeks ago. It’s had one or two of the very worst roots removed (for the race I think) so is maybe a bit less awkward.

For those looking for some guidance re difficulty:

GT – If you are happy on the harder off piste i.e. Hush Hush and Trail Fairy Plan, you’ll likely be fine on the easier Inners trails. They would include Angry Sheep, Green Wing, Deer Hunter, IXS, Upper/Middle Cresta and Upper/Middle Gold. If you’re happy on those, you’d probably also be happy on the easier Golfie trails, like NYNY, Repeat Offender, Greg Jolifes etc.

RE the uplift. Is it worth it? If getting in ten laps sounds appealing, then 100% yes, it’s worth it. Certainly gives you a good way of exploring the trails. The climb up is not toooo bad, but unless you’re mega fit, you’d be very unlikely to do more than 2-3 laps. There are some superb trails at Inners, so in my view, definitely worth it. Try and tag along with a local!

jimmy748

@notsospeedydaz I’ve got a couple of days work in Eyemouth that week, should be done by Tuesday night and am planning on spending the rest of the week up there, Innerleithen/Golfie etc, I’m going to book the uplift for Friday & Saturday. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday at Ft Bill for a day.
    Drive back to Bournemouth on Sunday. Thanks

brads
    Free Member

I had a fish tea at the Ship in Eyemouth the other day. Was braw.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Sorry for jumping on someone else’s thread

So easyjet has beaten Boris and macron to skuppering my trip to the alps with whiteroom 😢 with all my flights cancelled
    I’ve booked myself in a hotel in Innerleithen for a few days from 19th july
    Planning to book the uplift at Innerleithen for one day.
    What shouldn’t I miss

Cheeky question anyone riding tweed valley who don’t mind someone tagging along? 🙂

Although Jimmy crankies announcement regarding Manchester may put a spanner in the works

I’m moving into a new house in Inners on the 16th and I’m off the whole week beginning 21st, so will definitely be around and riding. I’d be happy to give you a we tour round Golfie / Inners / Thony (brave pants). There’s Yair and Cademuir also, although I don’t know them quite as well.

adcock9jn

Not to forget quality gravel riding and xc rides out into the hills as well from the Tweed Valley, which may suit families having longer stays after having visited the trail centres and want to just explore the area more. BikeValleyTrails will help them on their way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Be off with you with yer gravel nonsense!

mark88

Another hijack – I’m visiting this weekend and will be riding alone. If anyone would be willing to show me round or let me tag on to a ride (Sat, Sun or Mon) it’d be greatly appreciated.

stcolin
    Free Member

the easier Golfie trails, like NYNY, Repeat Offender

I found repeat offender much more difficult than NYNY, although it has a few jangy bits in the middle. Pretty much my limit. My first visit to Golfie I tried No Social. Nightmare. Spent it all on my arse.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I found repeat offender much more difficult than NYNY, although it has a few jangy bits in the middle. Pretty much my limit. My first visit to Golfie I tried No Social. Nightmare. Spent it all on my arse.

I guess it’s all a matter of context. Personally, I would agree that Repeat is harder, but my GF reckons NYNY is harder because there’s no real let up and it’s so long, whereas on Repeat, whilst the features are bigger, at least there’s some more chill bits in between. Totally depends on what you’re used to though, so I can definitely sympathise

No Social is one of the few I’ve never tried (people keep telling me it’s really hard!), but I’ve had many humbling experiences at Goflie that left me considering taking up a different hobby. I think unless you’re an absolute shredder, it’s best to get a steer on what to try first. They’ve added ratings on trailforks for each trail. Some are a bit random, but they’re mostly not too far off.

ta11pau1

I did some laps of Angry Sheep at Inners which was perfect for my soft southern skills, thought it was much steeper than it looked but was really getting into the rhythm by the end.

I also rode hush hush/five year plan at Glentress. MISTAKE. :O At the bottom, after checking I still had a ballsack after an altercation with the saddle, I was amazed to find I was alive. And wondered how I was still alive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.