• This topic has 104 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mahalo.
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Tweed valley – what a lot of riding!
  • asbrooks

A group of us were up there from Thursday to Sunday last week. First time for me and I found it tough. The descents are full on and takes some time to get used to. I’m more used to the lakes and the Peaks while the descents may be long are not as challenging physically or mentally.
    It didn’t help that I was suffering from hay fever which developed into a cold. Made the climbs interesting until it got so bad I had to bail.

There’s a great atmosphere around the place and found the locals a friendly bunch. Hope to go back next year

stcolin
    Free Member

Well, shameless plug for my recent trip. The updated Repeat Offender was one of the favourite runs…And it was bone dry

mahalo

just home from 4 full-on days in the Tweed! some good intel here thanks, particularly Glenbenna!! Thornilee was great too!

not in a rush to ride Yair again, but would be a nice change if your finding inners and golfie a bit too rough and physical…

intheborders
    Free Member

not in a rush to ride Yair again

Yair is best if done in the ‘right’ order – running brilliant on Sunday.

rOcKeTdOg

Been going up there for 17 years, since getting a gravel bike I’ve explored away from the way marked stuff and it’s ridiculous how much great riding there is just withing a 10 mile radius of Peebles on natural stuff.

I need to go again

asbrooks

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned. If you want to support the upkeep of the trails there is link on the Tweed Valley trails association where you can make a contribution.

I am in now way associated with them, but try to support them and others if I ride the trails.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned. If you want to support the upkeep of the trails there is link on the Tweed Valley trails association where you can make a contribution.

I am in now way associated with them, but try to support them and others if I ride the trails.

Great shout. They also do a dig day every Thursday night.

frogstomp

You can also pick them as your Amazon Smile beneficiary.

particularly Glenbenna!!

Is there more to Glenbenna than Glenduro / Mud Funnel shown on TrailForks (and a few closed ones)?

dumbbot
    Free Member

not in a rush to ride Yair again

Yair is best if done in the ‘right’ order – running brilliant on Sunday.

Well I can only say I’ve always previously really enjoyed Yair, it’s just nice to get away from the heaving crowds at the Golfie sometimes…not even sure I’m doing it in the ‘right’ order either.

I have to say though that I haven’t been post-storm damage, I believe that it was pretty much neglected by the FC compared to some of the other forests in the valley…so much props to the few volunteers who got the trails back open again.

mahalo

Theres definitely more to Glenbenna than trailforks suggest, you might have to do some rooting about but that Glenduro is an amazing track and worth it for that alone!!

frogstomp

Theres definitely more to Glenbenna than trailforks suggest, you might have to do some rooting about but that Glenduro is an amazing track and worth it for that alone!!

Great.. I’m up in a couple of weeks so will try and take a look.

singlespeedstu

@mahalo
    Glad you enjoyed Glenduro.
    Did you go from the trig at the top?
    Such a great track with a bit of everything as it changes character as you get further down.
    As said there’s more than one trail there…

The things you didn’t like about Yair are what makes it so good.
    Living round here you sometimes get fed up with all the braking bumps and crowds that other areas of the valley get.
    I can do midweek rides/maintenance over there and not see another person.

frogstomp

The things you didn’t like about Yair are what makes it so good.

Love a bit of Yair.. up to the 3 Brethren and it feels like an XC ride with cracking descents!

@singlespeedstu
    this is my ‘usual’ route (shown a few years back). Any suggestions for improvements given the current state of things – I see Forbidden Fruit is gone (boo!). Is it worth looping back around for Ginger Mullet?

fathomer

I’d not heard of Glenbenna before, I’ll be up in the valley with the Mrs in September. How difficult a track is it in comparison to the Golfie trails? Ta 🙂

singlespeedstu

I’d start by parking at Yair bridge instead of Peel now FF is gone.
    Up the fireroad and pushup track and do as many of the trails that feed off that as you can until you’ve had enough of the pushup. (Ebikes are brilliant here as you can ride the pushup track)
    Then head up the fireroad again and up the SUW and do Off the saddle and loop back round up SUW.
    Then head up to the 3 Bros and down the mullet.
    From there either back up to 3Bros and down quarry/DD or just straight into DD.

Give us a shout if you want showing round.

Edit.
    fathomer.
    It’s no more difficult than Golfie stuff.
    Steep section is near the bottom and exit onto the fireroad is a little awkward now it’s been re routed.

kelvin

You can also pick them as your Amazon Smile beneficiary.

Thanks. Done.

fathomer

Thanks Stu, will go have a look on my own and see if it’s wife friendly.

Didn’t know about Amazon Smile, will use that going forward, thanks.

singlespeedstu

If she’s OK on Golfie stuff she’ll be fine.😎
    It’s one of Msstus favourite descents.

mahalo

dont get me wrong Yair was great. certainly feels a lot less trodden and the climb up to 3 bros is great, we did it twice! rode ginger minge (i think) quarry dd and scorpion…

then over to Thornilee. slabs, full definition and tiger king. tiger king was another favourite of the weekend!

Re Glenbenna, yes! climbed all the way out to do ridge run followed by the trig trail. another place that feels a lot less trodden and fantastic views.

The fireroad climb up to nuts and glenduro is an absolute dream too! the tracks may not be as long but they are miles easier to lap than golfies!

over 7000m descent in 3 days.

BillOddie

Off up to the Tweed Valley on Sunday for 5 days riding with my 14 year old.

Have a vague plan with regards to riding, i.e. start at Glentress then get steeper/harder as the week goes on, probably do an uplift at Inners, some Golfie time on the less mental trails…

Say hello if you see a bloke on a Banshee and teen on a Sonder hardtail.

mahalo

Hello. Off back to the valley of dreams again this weekend.

Anyone any intel to share? Noobs, must-do’s, must avoids…?

singlespeedstu

Waterworld has reopened with a new entrance and apparently is a bit of a handful in the wet.
    There’s a new trail everyone is raving about. Wardell Way. Runs across Upper Avalanche.

mahalo

Awesome thanks Stu…

paino

Excellent thread resurrection timing, heading there this weekend myself. Not been in over 5 years.

mahalo

Assuming this is that new Waddell Way..? Looks class. I will obviously be riding it just like Reece… https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjYkvBxJhFk/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.