• This topic has 104 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mahalo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Tweed valley – what a lot of riding!
  • teethgrinder

Will be at Golfie on Sunday. Looking forward to it now I’ve change rotor out back (was screaming all the way down in the dry the last time – awful, it was).

militantmandy
    Free Member

I think Sunday afternoon will be Thorni. Not been there in ages so will need to readjust to the steepness. Saturday probably Golfie. The conditions at the weekend were the absolute best I have ever ridden there. Just perfect.

stcolin
    Free Member

left me considering taking up a different hobby

Exactly how I feel after riding there. I enjoy some of it, but mostly hanging on for dear life.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

@mark88
    Give us a shout I should be about one of those days.

frogstomp

Exactly how I feel after riding there. I enjoy some of it, but mostly hanging on for dear life.

Same here, but I enjoy the challenge.. rode 3G, Repeat Offender, Waterworld etc. yesterday and feel like I could ride most of them but I’m let down by struggling to cope with the physicality and sheer relentless of the tracks compared to anything I ride the rest of the time – I have to stop to get a grip again!

On the other hand, doing those yesterday meant I was significantly quicker than previously on Mud & Roots, Broon Troot and Trail Fairy Plan at GT today!

danimalz

Hijacking this thread as I’m planning on visting Glentress etc in mid Sept – any tips on good places to camp ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You mean campsites or wild?

ready

Just back from 4 nights in Innerleithen, booked as a last minute back up because of the Alps/Covid cancellation.
    Had a couple of days at Glentress, Adrenaline Uplift day at Inners, plus a quick look at Golfie – and it was some of the best riding I’ve had in a long time. Coming from the flatlands of Suffolk, I was blown away by some of the steepness to start with, but you soon get used to it and positively embrace it – even though we had some proper “HOLY Sh!T” moments!
    Awesome fun, absolutely loved it, and we will definitely be back!

brads
    Free Member

I’m still here .
    Not planning to leave Inners till Aug.
    It’s still brilliant lol.
    Been speaking to loads of visitors at the campsite and everyone loves it.
    The only problem folk have is choosing what to fit in.

impatientbull

Head up tomorrow for a few days. Does anyone know of the trails North of New York, New York are open?

singlespeedstu

Don’t think they’re open until the end of the month.

ready

If you mean the Wolf tracks, last week there was a sign saying none of them were open (although NYNY was OK). Flat white was also closed for repair.

Tracey

Abigale is competing in the Vallelujah Enduro this weekend so we thought as the forecast isn’t that bad that we would set off up today and make the most of it.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Abigale is competing in the Vallelujah Enduro this weekend so we thought as the forecast isn’t that bad that we would set off up today and make the most of it.

Isn’t that bad!!? It’s scheduled to be 24 degrees! In Scotland! I’m doing Valle too, should be a good one.

LD
    Free Member

Any gen on Valle route? We’re in the valley “training” for King and Queen and would be good to know what to avoid. Any info/guesses/speculations on K + Q route would be nice too.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Any gen on Valle route? We’re in the valley “training” for King and Queen and would be good to know what to avoid. Any info/guesses/speculations on K + Q route would be nice too.

The full course will be released tomorrow after the rider briefing at 1900. From the notes issued, looks like it’s 100% GT, so I would just ride at Inners instead that weekend.

RE King and Queen – here’s the 2019 route for reference:

https://www.trailforks.com/route/tweedlove-king-and-queen-of-the-hill-2019/?activitytype=1&z=12.2&lat=55.62455&lon=-3.04135

Nothing too nuts in there. I guess it’ll be of a similar difficulty.

LD
    Free Member

Cheers, they were both my assumptions. Planned Golfie Saturday and Inners Sunday so should work out OK.

scruff
    Free Member

Any news on what’s unavailable to ride at the weekend due to the enduro?

Tracey

Been out and about today and quite alot seems to be from the mast. I think the map goes out tonight

doomanic

I’m up at Glentress Forest Lodges from 16th to 20th August, any one available to show a couple of wobbly eBikers around?

singlespeedstu

Drop us a PM if you want showing around.

danimalz

Campsites really – will be in the van.

Edit – that’s a delayed reply to JoshVegas, on where to stay in September around Glentress / Peebles – never been so not sure where’s best to stay, but planning on travelling around a bit…

Tracey

We have just had 5 nights with the camper at our usual spot which is Crossburn in Peebles, always first class. when we booked a couple of weeks prior the website was showing full for the full year but they had plenty of room when we rang.
    Also stopped in the camper at Glentress Lodges and Tweedside at Innerleithen, both were good but think Crossburn pips them.
    Stopped at Rosetta in Pebbles once but didn’t sleep much as there was a lot of youths wandering about in the early hours.
    I think some park on the carpark over the bridge in Peebles and it has public toilets at the top end

singlespeedstu

Golfie was about as good as it gets today conditions wise.
    Some right grumpy folks about though.

rOcKeTdOg

hotel in Innerleithen

It’s not St Ronan’s is it?

v7fmp

spent last week in the tweed valley, like many as a trip abroad wasnt possible.

What an absolutely stunning part of the world. So many good trails. We did two days of adrenaline uplift. Then 4 days of riding, took in Golfie, Thornielee, Glentress etc.

A lot steeper than the usual stuff on the south coast of england, but a decent challenge. Thornielee was a particular highlight for me, Slabs n Tarts was an excellent trail.

Did a fair few of the more well known trails, NYNY, Feed the pony etc etc. All really good with their own charms.

Local bike shops were really helpful, I-Cycles doing a last minute brake bleed before they closed for the day.

No1 Coffee house had some banging veggie wraps.

All in all a great week and definitely a part of the world i would like to visit and ride again.

Please note, the above opinion was during a week of glorious sunshine, i am not sure how confident i would be on some of the steep trails if it was pissing wet! 😀

mahalo

off up to the T.V. tomorrow for a few days. looking for some intel on must-do trails? read this thread a year ago and found some gems so hoping to strike gold again… got an uplift one day but planning to ride some different areas this time, yair / cademuir / thornilee – rather than just mashing golfie, unless theres anyu unmissable new stuff up caberston??

TA

militantmandy
    Free Member

Golfie has had some work. Dances with Wolves, Wolf of Wallstreet (totally transformed) and Big Baw are all running absolutely prime. Yair is running again, but I think access has changed, someone who rides there more will likely know better. Cademuir and Thorni both running very well.

How well do you know the uplift hill? There are some great mashups to be had, but it helps to follow a friendly local.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Also, it is BONE DRY at the minute. Not sure how the weekend will be though!

intheborders
    Free Member

Out last night and flying – a bit of moisture TBH would help to ‘tighten’ the trails, such much dust.

a11y

Yeah, Golfie is ridiculously dry at the moment (Sunday just there). We rode what the EWS folk raced a few weeks ago and it was a good mix: Dances with Wolves, Repeat Offender, Big Baw, Feeding The Pony, then a mash up of DH stuff at Inners. It’s a decent 36km/1600mtrs day. I’d not bother with the Inners stuff if I was doing it again, but the rest was superb. First time riding Feeding The Pony and its well worth the epic push up, good to have Big Baw back in use also.

singlespeedstu

Yair is running again, but I think access has changed, someone who rides there more will likely know better.

Yair is indeed mostly open. Forbidden Fruits is still closed though.
    All the trails on the Raielees side now have a new start then drop back into the original trails.
    I might be around on Friday if you want showing round?

I’d also look at Glenbenna if you’ve not riden the trails there before.

Golfie was getting a little too dry yesterday. Could do with damping down a bit.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’d not bother with the Inners stuff if I was doing it again

If you know where to go, an uplift on the Inners side is still magic!

militantmandy
    Free Member

Golfie was getting a little too dry yesterday. Could do with damping down a bit.

I’ve been desperately trying not to stare at the piles of gravel on the inside of every corner. Some rain is is forecast I think.

a11y

If you know where to go, an uplift on the Inners side is still magic!

It was more the mash up they used for EWS wasn’t the best trails, but we were determined to follow the exact EWS route through to the end just because! I prefer stuff Inners stuff like Angry Sheep etc although TBF don’t know much else beyond that at Inners – Golfie is my default when visiting the area as I know much more of it already.

BoardinBob

I’ve been desperately trying not to stare at the piles of gravel on the inside of every corner.

Aye the piles of type 1 that have been flung into some of the holes post EWS aren’t great!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.