Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • Chainline
    Free Member

My pic didn’t seem to work, here’s another
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Joq6uN]IMG_4324[/url] by Phil, on Flickr]null

heresay I gather but I may lift the bars back up again to make it super comfortable to remain in the drops for normal riding..

matts
    Free Member

Might be worth checking with Kinesis as to how much steerer you can safely have above the cone spacer.

Chainline
    Free Member

I will, but if its not safe, the steerer shouldn’t be that long!

matts
    Free Member

The steerer is a standard length that needs to be able to fit many different sized frames. If it came with a 20cm steerer, it wouldn’t be much use in a frame with a 22cm head tube.

DezB
    Free Member

When I’d built my Tripster and took it back to show the (very experienced!) bike shop owner, he sucked through his teeth when he saw I had a couple of spacers on the top! The carbon bung needs to be flush under where the stem clamps for maximum safety.

DezB
    Free Member

oops repeat post

Chainline
    Free Member

Sorry, not down with that theory!

DezB
    Free Member

How about: It looks bleedin awful! 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

More plausible…

Chainline
    Free Member

I don’t like high rise stems either mind. I’ve dropped it 20mm. Maybe a bit more. Drop position needs to be sensible though for normal riding

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just prepped the tripster for summer, fitted some mudguards :

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks turnerGuy.. Should guarantee us no rain for the next 4 weeks..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am buying a new umbrella tomorrow as well…

matts
    Free Member

Ha. I just took them off mine as the forecast looks OK for the next week.

Probably a big mistake.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Aaargh!! Matts! Put them back on.. Put them back on now!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Pic of my trusty ATR, after the hard, painful but fun Lapierre white-roads-classic-sportive.

There was some other nice bikes/set ups there as well.

DezB
    Free Member

Right then! I see a few of you Tripster owners have Tubus racks fitted. Anyone tell me which model and whether bodging/adapting is needed? Thanks!

cloudnine
    Free Member

I think its the Tubus Airy Ti.. probably head to rose bikes for one

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Sizing help.

I’m looking at getting one, I’m 5ft8in, would a 51 be too small??

cinnamon_girl

I’m looking at getting one, I’m 5ft8in, would a 51 be too small??

UrbanHiker – yes, definitely. Mine’s a 51 and am 5’5″.

slowster
    Free Member

UrbanHiker, the problem is that what is the right size for you is not determined just by your height, and based on personal experience I would not rely on the suggested height ranges in Kinesis’ geometry charts.

In your shoes I would try to get a chance to sit on a 51cm and a 54cm – maybe other Tripster owners reading this thread are near you and could help: where are you based?

slowster
    Free Member

A while back someone asked what bolt to use to fit a mudguard to the fork. Unless you want to have the mudguard bracket at the rear of the fork crown, it is not necessary to use an extra long bolt.

There is a shoulder inside the rear of the hole that appears designed specifically for a standard recessed allen nut for caliper brake bolts, so I used an 18mm recessed allen nut and a 30mm bolt:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-caliper-brake-sunken-nut/rp-prod17557

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009YHJFL0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone ridden their tripster in a CX race?
    I’ve been thinking of entering a few races in the welsh CX league this year.
    Anyone know if I need certain width tyres? Got some 38c nano races.. But do I need 33c?

DezB
    Free Member

Someone looking at this thread might be interested. There was a full build, 55.5cm frame, Tripster on the classifieds this morning. (STW regular selling, I think).. Might be gone by now.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Question: what is a ‘Tripster ATR’?

Question: Who, outside of late 90s Bristol, actually uses the word ‘lush’?

64 pages. Perplexed…

DezB
    Free Member

A: It’s a bike frame made by Kinesis

A: The bloke who started this thread

You read them all??

brassneck

So my Tripster proved a perfect companion to a London to Amsterdam last week. Always comfy, fast when needed, relaxed when not.

Unfortunately it gained its own battle scar – a dirty great crack across the top tube just under a cable stop weld 🙁 – pics when I collect the bike, but it’s a crack for sure. Explains the creaking .. it was under an Alpkit fuel cell so wasn’t apparent till I stripped the bike for transport home.

With Shiny Bikes (yes, I actually received one from them) apparently gone, do I go back to Kinesis or a distributor to see if I have a warranty claim?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Brassneck.. try upgradebikes or go direct to kinsesis

slackboy

Question: Who, outside of late 90s Bristol, actually uses the word ‘lush’?

late ’90’s Bristol was all about “pesh” only the old folk used “lush”

restlessnative123
    Free Member

Being a titanium fan (my road bike is a Van Nicholas) and recently purchasing a 2nd hand gravel type bike (Genesis CdA) which I’m loving, I started to look for one bike that would combine both, found this thread & fell in love 😛

LBS has a 6 month old demo frame & fork they’ll do me for £999, it’s used but in good condition, and I can use cycle to work 🙂

Test ride on Sunday, it’s a 57cm & I’m 6’3″, hopefully it fits then I might be in the club !!

Nipper99
    Free Member

restlessnative123 would you share the LBS if the frame is no good for you?

restlessnative123
    Free Member

Nipper – yep, will let you know if it’s no good.

slackboy

Mini PSA:
    Challenge Strada Bianca Race tyres (33mm) are EUR 25 and bike24.de. just had a good review on road.cc. Works out at about £46 delivered for a pair.

http://road.cc/content/review/196793-challenge-strada-bianca-race-33

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

After 2 years of ownership and 14,000 miles my Tripster died.

Freeborn were excellent with replacement, luckily they had a 54 in stock and the frame was swapped out in under a week. Freeborn said this is the first one they have had back.

@brassneck, speak to Upgrade.

cloudnine
    Free Member

brassneck.. has yours gone in the same place?

restlessnative123
    Free Member

Looks like I’m joining the club, had a test ride today and I have to say that although 7cm taller than the Kenisis size guide the 57cm felt great. Bike shop set it up so the measurements were the same as my road bike.

There was no toe overlap, I didn’t feel too big on it and it was pretty comfortable – does anyone one else over 6ft ride a 57cm bike ?

Here’s the bike the way the shop set it up – I won’t be buying the carbon wheels, monococque bars or the 1 x set up, but I might get a good deal on the SRAM Red hydraulic shifters …..

matts
    Free Member

Yes. I’m 189cm and I’m on a 57. I use a 130mm -6? stem for commuting and training on the road, and swap in a 110mm +6? if i’m planning to do extended off-road riding.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Has anyone else had cracked frames – I’ve found a deal on a new ATR frame and fork but feeling nervous now after seeing the above, cheap titanium etc, and thinking of just sticking with a steel frame?

slackboy

Has anyone else had cracked frames – I’ve found a deal on a new ATR frame and fork but feeling nervous now after seeing the above, cheap titanium etc, and thinking of just sticking with a steel frame?

I think that’s the first – pretty sure it would be all over this thread by now if there were more.

turns out I was wrong – hadn’t read brassnecks post above

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a choice of All City Macho King in 853 with a Whiskey carbon fork or an ATR frame and fork for the same money…

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.