Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Trends you've followed that you wish you hadn't?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Not so long ago I followed the crowd and changed a perfectly good set of tyres that I had no issues with.

Guess what I bought? Hans dampf for the front and a Nobby Nic for the rear.

My god it’s an aweful set up for me! Way too much drag for my liking and more grip than I need. I can imagine I’d love them if I had ski lifts around me to ease the pain of squirming their draggy grippy knobbles up the trails and had a load more descending to actually get enough speed up so I can use the grip.

I’ve appreciated them on the odd descent in the Lakes and the Peaks but the rest of the ride has suffered for having them on.

On this one I have to say I shouldn’t have followed the herd….

What are your sheep like mistakes?

zippykona

Not buying a USE Sumo seat post. Apparently it’s the seat clamp of death.
    When I did find a bargain one it was a piece of piss to set up and has remained rock solid.

mindmap3
    Free Member

To be honest, I’ve been pretty lucky so far especially with tyres but that’s mainly because once I find some I like I tend to stick with them.

I can’t really think of a trend I’ve jumped on and hated and I guess I’ve jumped on a few (although I’ve done wide bars and short stems for as long as I can remember). I’ve bought bikes that I’ve hated.

rOcKeTdOg

new romanticism in 1981

mindmap3
    Free Member

RD has made me think of some of the none bike trends…in my case Nu Metal!

As far as bike stuff goes I often go against it…still on 26ers, love my Fox forks, like Hayes brakes, love Sram drivetrains, like Cannondales, don’t have owt against trail centres etc.

hot_fiat

Tioga farmer John’s nephews. Everybody had them in the early 90s. Total bag of manure.

Tioga psychos. Everybody had them in the…. (Repeat until fade)

Latex tubes were the worst lemming like decision. Every time you’d come to use the bike they’d be flat: not from a slow, they’d just bleed air away. They could also burst from getting too warm. Useless.

Lifer
    Free Member

The trend is over.

Nobby

new romanticism in 1981

I was thinking simply “wedge” haircuts.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Getting wed. Seemed very popular a while back. Can’t seem to see any positives in the thing now.

senorj

new romanticism in 1981

Obviously. 😀

I was into break dancing and the like when I was 14. 😕

kayak23

Belt clips for phones…

bigblackshed

A flat top mullet in 1986. Done for a girlfriend. I looked like a twunt of the highest order. 2 hair styles in 1. Both of which looked awful. She dumped me a month later. Took 2 years to grow it out again.

🙄

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^ just like that, but more twunty.

organic355
    Free Member

VHS

theotherjonv

I like his novelty camera lens cap.

tinsy
    Free Member

bigblackshed, you looked more twunty than him? … Please would you still have any images of this you can share?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Twitter.

Caught between mates who love using it for rideouts and my Mothers constant “how are you Son” twatter..

warton
    Free Member

looking back, as a white, middle class teenager, living in suburban, privileged Newcastle, wearing an Africa Pendant, with not a hint of irony was not a good look.

crofts2007
    Free Member

uphillcursing – Member
    Getting wed. Seemed very popular a while back. Can’t seem to see any positives in the thing now.

POSTED 51 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

+1 🙂

stumpy01

Charge Spoon – bought one on the back of my mates and all the reviews saying how comfortable they are.

Not for me they aren’t….

brakes
    Free Member

working for a living.
    it’s just so dull.

Bazz

Strava, deleted the app off of my phone yesterday. Now i can get back to riding just for the sheer enjoyment. Damned competitive streak making me go balls out just because it’s being recorded 🙄

Simon

Going out and getting pissed every weekend throughout my late teens and twenties. Wish I’d discovered riding sooner….

_tom_
    Free Member

low-carb dieting. I didn’t realise how drained and irritable it’d made me feel, since going back to a “normal” diet (following the racing weight book) I feel great again and can actually put all my effort into riding and weight training.

nickc

Not really a trend I’ve followed, more its the stuff I’ve realised I’ve missed out on.

My bikes have always been a bit too XC, although its a Cham with a 140mm fork, it’s still got narrow ish tyres and the saddles always set too high, I can do all the things I want on it, but I’ve realised that actually I can probably have more fun with a longer fork, some bigger tyres and a bit more space to move about on.

[blowing my own trumpet]
    A recent trip to the alps revealed that given the right equipment I’m actually not as bad at the descending/jumping thing that I thought I was,
    [blowing my own trumpet/]

Time for a slight change in perspective

tomhoward

Strava, deleted the app off of my phone yesterday. Now i can get back to riding just for the sheer enjoyment. Damned competitive streak making me go balls out just because it’s being recorded

Kind of this, I rarely use it now. It’s quite interesting to see the stats, but not because I’ve killed myself to make them better. I’d rather have a nice, fun ride then look and go ‘oh look, I’ve done xyz…’

rewski
    Free Member

idave diet and hoxton fin

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Op: if chucking it, can I have your Dampf please? Email in profile.

chilled76
    Free Member

Not getting rid matey, I’m keeping the combo for an Alps trip next summer.

ska-49
    Free Member

All my mates ran flats and everybody I spoke to said SPDs are a terrible idea. I got a pair the other day just to try. What a game changer! Why did I not do this before?!

Murray

SPDs. Better than toe clips but nowhere as good as decent flat pedals with PINs.

_tom_
    Free Member

All my mates ran flats and everybody I spoke to said SPDs are a terrible idea. I got a pair the other day just to try. What a game changer! Why did I not do this before?!

I thought the same on road bike, but can’t get into spds on mtb. Maybe it’d be better if I used pedals with proper platform bits, but on the ones I have the float feels weird with my feet sliding around sideways.

richmtb

SPD’s here to.

Developed lots of bad habits as a result, trying to go back to flats and re-learn riding a bike

wordnumb
    Free Member

Reading online forums. I only took a peep to see if anyone had posted about cycling routes on Dartmoor, then I created an account and posted an innocent question about suspension settings. Now I’m writing long replies to subjects I have no knowledge about or interest in and I find myself becoming very angry at other forum users who botch there grammer and spolling. It infects my offline life as well, causing me to laugh at Audi drivers and roll my eyes when I see five oranges on display in the green grocers.

My advice to anyone reading this would be: don’t get lured into reading online forums. Don’t turn out like me.

sprocker
    Free Member

full suspension gone through about 8 in the last 3 years having had a chameleon for years before. Just gone back well bfe anyway.

Come to think of it I also got an i phone which I make calls on and text with and that it, may have been more cost effective to stick to my vintage Nokia.

bigblackshed

Tinsy.

No photo could be allowed to survive of that dark month of my life.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Anything uttered by a man with a “character” beard 😆

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Road riding. It’s ruining my life.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

burly all mountain bikes. They have there place, but that place is not in the South of England.

chilled76
    Free Member

Ahem Wordnumb when criticizing other peoples grammar you might want to use the correct “their” 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

Bless.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Trends you've followed that you wish you hadn't?’ is closed to new replies.