• This topic has 144 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)
  • Trail dogs….NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
  • bigpole
    Free Member

I’m a dog owner, I take my dog on walks where bikes are used and I make an effort to keep him under control,especially when bikes are going past, which is a challenge.
    I have been on 3 rides this year and have had incidents with trail dogs.
    2 occasions where I’ve been at a trail center on MTB only trails, to find a dog running at me, causing me stop, nearly coming off, and ruining a downhill I’ve just spent all my energy climbing up to the top. On the third,once again at a trail centre the dog had been abandoned by its owner, miles from any where, in sub zero temperatures, the dog was limping, and not in a good place. I took the dog back to the car park to find the owner having a brew in the cafe. I had to coax the dog back along fire tracks ruing the ride, that I had to drive for hours to get to.
    I don’t blame the dogs but the owners.
    Dogs are unpredictable…. Even the most highly trained have their moments.
    When you are riding your bike, do you know what your dog is up to behind you?

scruff
    Free Member

my dog is pooing into a bag then throwing it into a tree.

jam-bo

Yep

[video]http://vimeo.com/67476747[/video]

Wouldn’t ever take him to a ‘trail’ centre though.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2F5QQ9WHVw[/video]

andyl
    Free Member

OP am I allowed to take my dog with me out on my local natural trails or would you like me to stop doing that?

Dogs in trail centres has been done to death.

Sandwich

I know what my dog is up to. I don’t bugger off and leave him. 12km/h speed so that he doesn’t overdo it and we have a great time. No trail centres mind as we ride from the door.

mjsmke

Dogs in trail centers – no thankyou
    Dogs in local woods – no problem

big_n_daft
    Free Member

OP am I allowed to take my dog with me out on my local natural trails or would you like me to stop doing that?

there are plenty of restrictions that can operate that mean that you should stop doing that, I imagine though you conform to the norm for dog owners from the way you phrase your question 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Dogs in local woods – no problem don’t stray from the path if you don’t like dog eggs

FIFY

which category do you fit into?

http://www.waste-management-world.com/articles/2014/04/poo-report-suggests-dog-owners-need-educating-on-animal-waste.html

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve no problem at all with a well trained trail hound following his owner about so long as they’re exactly that – well trained. In fact, that goes for both the dog and the owner. So long as the dog isn’t getting in anyone else’s way or shitting on the trail, go for it.

andyl
    Free Member

there are plenty of restrictions that can operate that mean that you should stop doing that, I imagine though you conform to the norm for dog owners from the way you phrase your question

First part doesn’t make any sense and as for the second what is this ‘norm’ you are assuming I conform to?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

First part doesn’t make any sense

dogs are banned from parts of the countryside or restricted to being kept on a lead. These restrictions can be seasonal or all year round.

what is this ‘norm’ you are assuming I conform to?

the usual high level of respect for others and the countryside flora and fauna

Which category are you?

Proud to pick up – happy to be seen carrying dog waste, will pick up in all locations and take it home if no bins are available

It is the right thing to do – will pick up in public places but will seek to dispose of the waste as soon as it is practical; often embarrassed to be seen carrying bagged waste

I have done my job – if there is no bin available will leave the bagged waste to be dealt with by others

Only if I have to – will only pick up in the presence of other people – likely to discard when no one is looking

Disengaged – will not pick up in any situation even if they are aware of the environmental consequences of their actions

andyl
    Free Member

Why stop there. Do you want to accuse me of leaving my dogs shit in farmers fields and on footpaths or hanging it in bags on trees while you are at it? Or how about he regular mauling of the faces of children we meet or slaughtering newborn lambs that we enjoy on a weekly basis, especially in spring time?

You ride a mountain bike, therefore I am going to assume you ride on footpaths, ride ‘cheeky trails’ away from bridleways, ‘trash’ the countryside making trails and jumps, drop litter, be rude and abusive to other countryside users, throw your inner tubes into trees, leave your Co2 canisters on the trail, park your car blocking access to my field despite it being obviously needed, damage footpath stiles lumping your bike over them, leave gates open that were closed…..etc etc etc

I bet you drive a car too…now where do I start there?

In response to your edit: I always pick up and if there is no bin I take it home with me. As can be contested by the many people who point and laugh at the bag of dog shit hanging off my tow bar when have been somewhere that doesnt have any poo bins. I also try to always buy biodegradable poo bags unless I can’t avoid it.

If you bothered to look up my posts before insulting me you would see I can’t stnd people who don’t clean up after their dogs and do not believe they should have one if they are not prepared to clean up after it.

Satisfied?

andyl
    Free Member

Oh and I even make sure I have the means to transport my dogs poo when I am out on my bike and plan my rides to pass poo bins near the start of the ride so I can dispose of “early poos” and clear room for the smaller poos later in the ride that will inevitably come when a dog is running lots.

I also take a litter bag out with me and pick up litter dropped by walkers, school kids and mountain bikers as it annoys me and is a danger to livestock and I would hope that other people pick up any litter they drop of they pass through my fields were my sheep are.

johnj2000
    Free Member

* tumbleweed*

taxi25
    Free Member

Hear we go again 🙄 for the record I’m a dog lover and owner, but for gods sake take your dogs for walks, runs, rides whatever but not at trail centres !!! Is that to hard to understand ???

SOAP
    Free Member

Is it exceptable to run them over at trail centres?

hora
    Free Member

People who mtb nowadays with a ‘traildog’ are thecultimately bike fashion victim. I used to do it years ago on quiet trails away from trail centres.

Is it a problem at trail centres though? (I dont visit em often so dont know)

mattbee

Actually, I think this time we may have got past the 1 month barrier before this resurfaced.
    Some people who own dogs are knobs. Some dogs are knobs. Some mtbers are knobs. Combinations of these may cause irritation to other people.
    Or; life sucks, get a helmet….

rOcKeTdOg

“oh sorry, he’s not vicious he just doesn’t like bicycles”

“then why is he off the lead on a cycle path”

“because he’s trained”

cue owner desperately trying to catch dog as he runs, snarling and barking after a cyclist who passes us while we exchange views

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have no problem people being lazy and taking their dogs out with their bike instead of walking with them, apart from at trail centres which are purpose built for biking only, not dog walking.

tomd
    Free Member

Proud to pick up – happy to be seen carrying dog waste, will pick up in all locations and take it home if no bins are available

It is the right thing to do – will pick up in public places but will seek to dispose of the waste as soon as it is practical; often embarrassed to be seen carrying bagged waste

I have done my job – if there is no bin available will leave the bagged waste to be dealt with by others

Only if I have to – will only pick up in the presence of other people – likely to discard when no one is looking

Disengaged – will not pick up in any situation even if they are aware of the environmental consequences of their actions

You missed:

Sociopath – you don’t care. In fact, you enjoy the touch of warm dog faeces and relish the chance to dangle it prominently from a tree. Sometime you even try and get your dog to go just after a hidden bend on a down slope so that folk will slip in it.

yunki
    Free Member

apart from at trail centres which are purpose built for biking only, not dog walking.

Tricky one this… I suspect most trail centres were just errr, trails a decade or so ago with very few if any bikes to be seen..

I know our local trail centre was a family spot popular with kids and dog walkers.. It’s still very much a family orientated destination with a couple of playparks and many walking trails criss-crossing the bike trails..

You’re bound to get a few dogs out and about in the woods no?
    If you’re really seriously concerned with getting away from people, dogs, kids, ex-golfers, enduro doods or whatever, then make the effort and get out somewhere remote

RustySpanner

People have issues with dogs – hence all the threads.

Dog owners on here must be:
    A- Saints
    B- Liars.
    C -Statistically unrepresentative.

Like drivers, I’ve never met a dog owner who classes themselves as less than excellent.

dudeofdoom

I think the problem is that most town people aren’t really any good ‘outside’ anymore.. unless they’ve got toilets/bins and wifi etc they dont seem to be able to cope…

and the poo in bags hanging around I just don’t get…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I love dogs and would love to say they should be a happy mix with cyclists on the trails. Have had plenty of rides where others have brought their mutts along and had no incidents.

Although. I must say I once had the displeasure of being rerouted off the red route at mabie quite a few years ago whilst some works were being carried out. They basically made you ride quite a section of the footpaths (Dog walking routes) before you got out onto the trails. I have never been so disgusted in supposedly ‘outdoor’ people in my life. It absolutely reeked of dog shizzle. I mean, flies, putrid decaying crap and having to watch where I was riding.

As I said, I love dogs but I now class dog owners in the same category as smokers (My family are all smokers). They somehow convince themselves that what they are doing doesn’t have any effect on others to the point that they will argue black is white to win an argument.

We have a local woods which is popular with kids to go for a walk with their parents. We have a local tarn where its perfect for a family stroll. Guess what? Both stink of dog crap.

Del

apart from at trail centres which are purpose built for biking only, not dog walking.

as Yunki, but also bike trails may be built for biking, but anyone on foot has a right to roam through FC land, upon which many bike trails are built. just because there’s a picture of a bike at the trail head, and a no entry sign at the other end, doesn’t mean you can ride round that blind bend at ten tenths if you can’t stop within the distance you can see.
    if i’m voluntarily repairing a trail you ride regularly, and have my dog with me, are you going to get the hump?

deviant
    Free Member

Dog owner here and sometimes take them with me, I wouldn’t take them to a trail centre as I think it’d be too busy for them but out and about in the countryside they come with me as we rarely encounter other bikes and often not another soul full stop.

Re. the dogs crapping in the woods, yep, couldn’t care less.

They were around long before MTBers decided the countryside belonged to them….and to be honest you expect animals to poop in the woods, it’s what they do!
    Pavements etc are a different matter and I clean up if they mess at the beach, in town, my garden etc…

I do wonder what the typical town dwelling, middle class MTBer expects of the countryside these days!?

matt_outandabout

As we all know, it only takes a few irresponsible dog owners to affect and tar all dog owners.

With that in mind, I agree with some of littlestHobo’s sentiment – a good proportion of dog owners now seem to not care about poo being left lying around and dog potentially causing a nuisance to others (and I too have nearly come a cropper at a trail centre end of last year because someones ‘trail hound’ was running all over the trails chasing passers bikes while they had a break).

However, I think it is the dog owning community that needs to sort this one out, not us grumpy ones with prejudiced views. 😉

samcheese
    Free Member

Last week, I was riding the W2 at Afan with some mates. On a very fast part of ‘Windy Point’ a nice lady had stopped her pannier-laden bike to have some fun with her three dogs which were leaping around oblivious to the danger of bikes hurtling towards them.

Her bike, which was helpfully left leaning against the banking and partially in the trail, was pointing ‘up’, against the direction of travel.

What can we conclude from this? Nothing.

But I do hate dogs, though. They stink.

nickc

As long as your dog is on a lead, you can do what you like with it.

I resent dog owners who fail to respect other users of trails and paths, because they want to let their dogs roam free. I fully understand that’s what you want, and who wouldn’t, but here’s the thing…I don’t want to try to make the decision about what your dog may or may not do. By NOT have your dog under the control that a lead offers, you are in fact abdicating YOUR responsibilities to me, and I don’t know the dog, I don’t know whether it will try to bite me, that (for instance) it’s just a dog that loves barking and that’s not a precursor to some other behaviour, but you do. So, do the responsible thing and put it on a lead.

Thanks

bearGrease

As we all know, it only takes a few irresponsible dog owners to affect and tar all dog owners.

However, I think it is the dog owning community that needs to sort this one out, not us grumpy ones with prejudiced views

That’s a joke right? It seems quite clear that the “dog owning community” seems content to blame the mythical “few irresponsible owners” and do nothing. Ban the flea-ridden, tuurd laying mutts from public places.

tthew

Last time I went to Llandegla, there was a bloke lying by the side of the trail, swearing about this dog who’d knocked him off. His advice was ‘give the bloody thing a good kicking’ which I didn’t, I assumed it was just frustration venting, as he wasn’t really hurt, (I asked). I did wonder where the owner was though, so I asked the next bloke who was stopped a couple of hundred yards further on, assuming it might be his.

‘Yeah, It’s always doing that. I’ve no clue why he insists on bringing it’ 😯 😀

Burchy1
    Free Member

Del – if i’m voluntarily repairing a trail you ride regularly, and have my dog with me, are you going to get the hump?

Depends on the quality of your repair! 😉

DezB
    Free Member

What’s being said? Am I allowed to ride with my dog or not?
    Cos I’m going to do exactly what STW says.

robdob
    Free Member

As I said, I love dogs but I now class dog owners in the same category as smokers (My family are all smokers). They somehow convince themselves that what they are doing doesn’t have any effect on others to the point that they will argue black is white to win an argument.

+100

Amen to that.

matt_outandabout

Del – if i’m voluntarily repairing a trail you ride regularly, and have my dog with me, are you going to get the hump?

Are we talking double, table top or pump here? 😉

andyv
    Free Member

I love riding my bike.
    I love it when my dog runs with me.

Both our lives are too short to worry about what others having less fun than me think.

Andy

matt_outandabout

That’s a joke right? It seems quite clear that the “dog owning community” seems content to blame the mythical “few irresponsible owners” and do nothing. Ban the flea-ridden, tuurd laying mutts from public places.

There in lies the issue. Most of the dog owning community seem to refuse to admit there is a (growing) issue and how many (irresponsible) dog owners there are out there, and that resentment is growing about dogs and fouling, as they take it a personal slant on their dog ownership.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Trail dogs….NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.