• This topic has 144 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)
  • Trail dogs….NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
  • kendonagasaki

There are many places with signs that suggest you find a stick and flick?
    Llandegla being one such place and quite a number of FC car parks have signs.
    I suppose it saves filling landfill with plastic bags.

poah
    Free Member

deviant – Member
    Loving the ‘keep your dog under control’ sentiment on here but seemingly children can do no wrong

children shouldn’t be let loose to walk on trails either lol

jam-bo

so what happens if your kid needs a shit in the woods?

do you bag it?

boxelder

children can do no wrong, apparently they can just wander about unsupervised touching whatever they like and it’s someone else’s fault if things go tits up!….um, parents!?

EDIT – Parenting’s not easy, but it’s good community sense to be tolerant and encouraging of the next generation, who will be keeping the world spinning once we’re trundling around looking to enjoy our retirement.

Reading stuff on here recently makes me feel good, as I seem to be getting more tolerant, while others can’t stand it when folk don’t agree with them.

Take Whinlatter – whine about paying to park while they go for their PR run down a man made descent (for nowt) but woe betide any child or beast interrupts them. Oh and parking on the road side on the bend down from the visitor centre causes a traffic hazard – but hey, that’s your choice.

Let’s plant privet hedges along all trails to keep them to ourselves.

Del

So you would be happy for your dog to bite a child?

back under your bridge.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The last 3 I’ve had like to back up to bushes or trees well off the beaten track. I’m happy to let them and leave it there

don’t stray from the path then,,,,, 😉

don’t worry about the habitat degradation and the disturbance of local wildlife

mjsmke

What happens if a dog, a child, and a walker frighten my bike thats not under much control under me and the bike hits all 3?

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I get the feeling the persons complaining about dogs as unexpected hazards are the sort who try to sue if they have a tumble if trail maintenance is not up to scratch. I get the concern with dogs at trail centres but the bloody dogs were running around woodlands way before all the city dwellers and golfers decided they want to ride their bikes in the woods. Cannocks follow the dog would not even exist if it wasnt for a dog

wanmankylung
    Free Member

back under your bridge.

It’s easy to call troll. However, in the discussion above the poster seems to think that it’s the childs fault if they get bitten. Surely, a dog that is well trained and under control wouldn’t bite a child who snuck up on it. And if it did then it wouldn’t be under control or safe…. Seems logical to me.

slowoldman

Lot of anger.

nickc

It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, eg:

in a public place
    in a private place (eg a neighbour’s house or garden)
    in the owner’s home
    The law applies to all dogs.

Out of control
    Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
    makes someone worried that it might injure them

This is the law, it’s not an opinion, or an idea, it’s what the law says. Your dog has no rights or responsibilities because it is an animal. As a dog owner you have a responsibility to other people in society to ensure they are safe around your animal. It’s not anyone else’s responsibility but your’s alone. It’s not the parents of children, not non dog owners that may encounter that dog, but solely yours.

Those are your responsibilities

Clear?

I don’t really care about your dog. If you want to exersize it any way you want, you go right ahead (I understand that part of the joy of dog ownership is watching your dog run free) The point I’m making is that the responsibility for that dog lies solely with you. what it does is your responsibility. If you’re not in control 100% of the time, then your are abdicating that responsibility to some-one else, some else who doesn’t know your dog like you do. All that you need to do is ask yourself: Is that is fair. Is it fair to ask a child to make a decision about your pet based on no knowledge of how it behaves? Is it fair to ask some-one running or riding who comes across your dog suddenly to make a decision in a moment about how to approach it, or to try and decide how it will react to them?

Now, you may conclude that it is fair, that dogs off the lead are a part of society that non dog owners should just man/woman/child up about. That’s fine. Like I said up there, I don’t care about your dog.

Just give it some thought.

For that opinion you can liken me to Hitler as much as you like. 🙄

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Finally someone with some sense.

Del

It’s easy to call troll. However, in the discussion above the poster seems to think that it’s the childs fault if they get bitten. Surely, a dog that is well trained and under control wouldn’t bite a child who snuck up on it. And if it did then it wouldn’t be under control or safe…. Seems logical to me.

yes, it is. you quoted me. you wanted to respond to the other post you should have quoted him.
    what seems logical to me is that i took the necessary action to prevent the child i mentioned even being in a situation where something might have gone wrong. i don’t blame the child, i blame the parent. they wouldn’t let their toddler wander up to the open fire at the other end of the room, i presume, why my dog?

edited to add quote.

allthepies
    Free Member

Chapeau nickc

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

yes, it is. you quoted me. you wanted to respond to the other post you should have quoted him.
    what seems logical to me is that i took the necessary action to prevent the child i mentioned even being in a situation where something might have gone wrong. i don’t blame the child, i blame the parent. they wouldn’t let their toddler wander up to the open fire at the other end of the room, i presume, why my dog?

edited to add quote.

A few years back, when my Jack Russell was just a pup, I was out walking the dogs when a bloke pushing a pram called her over. Being a friendly type she went over and was rewarded with a tickle. Then, to my horror, the chap picked her up and put her in the pram. Had she bitten or otherwise harmed the infant, whose fault would it have been?
    She didn’t harm the child, and never has harmed anyone but it was probably one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen.
    Kids these days are either scared stiff of dogs, possibly with good reason, or have seemingly never been warned they might bite , and to ask before they pull their ears…

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I don’t care either way about dogs but i wouldn’t own one, wouldnt want one in the house and think people who take them to busy trail centres are imbeciles.

Anyone who thinks its OK to own a dangerous dog is not wired up right in the head though.

devs
    Free Member

don’t stray from the path then,,,,,

don’t worry about the habitat degradation and the disturbance of local wildlife

Yes I’d imagine a dog poo in thousands of acres of Scottish woodland really degrades the habitat and disturbs teh wildlife. All those foxes, badgers, pine martens and otters all bag and fill up landfill so that perfectly good land has to be dug up and filled with plastic bags full of air 🙄

rockhopper70

we are in the national trust, and they actively encourage stick and flick in their more rural areas and woodland.
    I suppose it is better than hanging bags of it from trees.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

(Dog owner here) As an owner you have responsibility for everyone’s safety – your dogs and any person or other animal that may come into contact. Can you do that while riding tour bike? Simple question really….

kirby700
    Free Member

There’s a local bridalway literally at the top of my street which could be lovely to ride down with my two children but its so chuffing stressful. Fresh sloppy dog eggs all over. We once had a word with one guy and it got a bit heated . He rang his mate whos a local bobby whom confirmed he was a prick for not picking it up. Its social terrorism. Pick ya shoot up simple.

divenwob
    Free Member

3 dogs here and 3 kids,what should I do?????

bikeytom
    Free Member

Reading through these posts makes me feel that part of the problem is just down to overcrowding.
    Here in Suffolk horse riders present a far far bigger issue for my rides than dogs, trails which flow perfectly one day can be churned up by hooves and covered in horse poo the next (no one asks them to pick it up). But we share the trails because they are limited to the same bridleways as me and i’ve made friends with several local horse riders who I often meet.
    My dog comes out with me all the time, he’s well trained (genuinely well trained, my wife is a trainer for our local dog agility club and regularly competes) and i pick up after him, none of the horse riders mind him, neither do any of the joggers, ramblers, fishermen or other trail/forest users.
    I occasionally have issues with other dogs chasing him/me but it’s generally fine. I’d never take him to a trail centre though, as well trained as he is he’d just be in the way bless him and as I said before, these places are overcrowded so we all have to think of each other.

aracer
    Free Member

Pick up your kids’ poo

big_n_daft
    Free Member

rockhopper70 – Member

we are in the national trust, and they actively encourage stick and flick in their more rural areas and woodland.
    I suppose it is better than hanging bags of it from trees

everything to do with saving money not emptying dog poo bins, nothing to do with protecting flora and fauna, always used by dog owners to justify not bagging and binning it when they get home

rockhopper70

I’m just relaying what nt say, not justifying it or whatnot.

divenwob
    Free Member

Oh I normally bag it and hang it in a tree. 😆

devs
    Free Member

everything to do with saving money not emptying dog poo bins, nothing to do with protecting flora and fauna, always used by dog owners to justify not bagging and binning it when they get home

Just how much damage to flora ad fauna do you think dogshit does? Poo bags have a half life of about 50 years and take up a lot of space when full of cack and air. If every dog shite was put in land fill we very soon would have no land but landfill. All when a couple of weeks out in the open sees off the problem. I know how long it takes for one to degrade as I have set up CCTV to try and catch the tosser that keeps letting his dog crap behind my car in teh street. It really isn’t long.
    Of course, if it’s the kind of land that people are likely to use for picnics or whatnot then the stick and flick isn’t appropriate but then I doubt the landowners would advocate it. Anyways, if a dog is prone to stop and shit on a trail then no they shouldn’t be taken to trail centres.
    I would have no issues taking mine to GT, CyB, NyrA, Laggan, Golspie or Glenlivet. Or any of that style. He would be no more of an obstacle than me on my own but if the fact he was there annoyed you the I would take more pleasure from that.

wallop

I’m quite surprised at the number of people who don’t understand the difference between horse poo and dog poo.

tthew

Is it Horse Poo is fricking massive and can be hard to avoid when spread all over a narrow path, and dog poo is small, tidy and easily bunny-hopped?

(yeah I know horse crap is just chewed up grass, but it’s still antisocial to leave massive pile of it in shared areas)

bearGrease

I will vote for nickc in May.

bearGrease

Its social terrorism

In the past our local cub group used to go gorge walking at a nearby beauty spot. They don’t go anymore as the local dog walkers have dropped so much dog muck in the burn.

It’s not hard to come to the conclusion that dog owners are a dirty, antisocial lot.

rocketman
    Free Member

I will vote for nickc in May.

+1 nickc for PM

mjsmke

Horse poo is plant based so rots down like compost very quickly. Dog poo is like human poo. Meat and veg based so takes much longer to decompose. Thats why cat and dog poo is bad for compost heaps.

Best thing to do is use a plastic container with a lid to collect the dog poo. Flush it down the loo when you get home then re use the plastic container. No bags. No mess on the trails. I know the foxes and cats still poo but we have to what we can as a community to keep our planet clean.

coastkid
    Free Member

I’m a dog owner, I take my dog on walks where bikes are used and I make an effort to keep him under control,especially when bikes are going past, which is a challenge.
    I have been on 3 rides this year and have had incidents with trail dogs.
    2 occasions where I’ve been at a trail center on MTB only trails, to find a dog running at me, causing me stop, nearly coming off, and ruining a downhill I’ve just spent all my energy climbing up to the top. On the third,once again at a trail centre the dog had been abandoned by its owner, miles from any where, in sub zero temperatures, the dog was limping, and not in a good place. I took the dog back to the car park to find the owner having a brew in the cafe. I had to coax the dog back along fire tracks ruing the ride, that I had to drive for hours to get to.
    I don’t blame the dogs but the owners.
    Dogs are unpredictable…. Even the most highly trained have their moments.
    When you are riding your bike, do you know what your dog is up to behind you?

Yes it`s called a seatpost cam 😉 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

horse/cow poo – quinoa
    dog/human poo – MacDonalds

different bacteria innit… stuff from meat-eaters will make your kids go blind and poison your vegetables, stuff from grass-eaters can be used to heal the sick and tastes great in a sandwich

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Am I the only person who can walk/bike/whatever outdoors and happily walk past horse/cow poo and not really have much of a issue with any smell (Obviously a slurry pit or when the farmer has been spraying is a bit OTT).

But you walk down an alley/trail where it is popular with dog walkers and it feels like you are constantly being hounded by flies that have been happily playing in dog crap and the smell is something else.

Its why I related it to smokers being ignorant earlier. I love dogs but the problem is more the volume than the actual dogs for me. I gave the example of mabie because to all intents and purposes this is ‘the great outdoors’ to some. If dog walkers can turn an entire trail into a turgid, gas mask required hell hole then they really need to be made to change rather than asked.

sbob
    Free Member

divenwob – Member

3 dogs here and 3 kids,what should I do?????

Take your perverse interspecies relationships to the next level and breed a new species that can pick up its own turds? 💡

fionap

So what should one do when it’s near the end of a long walk and your dog is no longer shitting solids? Bag doesn’t work, stick doesn’t work…

sbob
    Free Member

The dog/human hybrid would shart directly into the bag, keeping the trails cleaner than ever!

andyl
    Free Member

Is this still going on?

nickc
    It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, eg:

in a public place
    in a private place (eg a neighbour’s house or garden)
    in the owner’s home
    The law applies to all dogs.

Out of control
    Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
    makes someone worried that it might injure them

You seem to be under the impression that a dog off the lead is dangerously out of control? A dog can be out of control but not dangerous and a dog can be off the lead and not out of control and not dangerous.

There is a distinct difference between a dog actually, genuinely being threatening and someone who is afraid of dogs thinking the dog is going to inure them, be it de to a genuine fear due to some event or an irrational one due to lack of understanding and often ignorance.

If it due to a genuine fear then I am sorry that something has happened to you and I suggest you seek help to deal with it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Trail dogs….NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.