Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 328 total)
  • Top Gear – Back this Sunday
  • legend
    Free Member

TGT is worse for that too, just completely switch-off to it after a while

the-muffin-man

I think I preferred it with Evans – at least he was excitable and gave you someone to shout at!

convert

Yep – that was ok.

A much braver attempt at a relaunch than the first attempt that kept too much of the old show both physically and in format.

Agree with a above that Rory is a bit of a puppy dog. I thought it was better for having no Stig too, although that is just a temp thing. Harris teaching the celeb the ropes is better. The car change is also an improvement. Road trip was watchable and only the jetwasher that was a bit pointless.

But its not a global seller – that ship might have sailed.

nickc

watched it on iplayer tonight, convert pretty much sums it up. I think it will still sell though.

CountZero

think I preferred it with Evans – at least he was excitable and gave you someone to shout at!

No, I switched it off, deleted it, and deleted the series link, I couldn’t work up the enthusiasm to raise my voice, it was just too embarrassing to watch.

wrecker
    Free Member

Chris Harris looks really forced. It’s like he’s been told “OK, you need to ridicule the others” as a kind of clarkson. This won’t work! He’s a good chap, and just needs to be himself, the show won’t suffer if there is no laddish ridicule. They seem to be trying to replace personalities with others trying to be those personalities and it’s just…well…shit.
    Let them be themselves. It won’t get the mass appeal that the last show got anyway so they may as well make it a full on motorist show.
    The americans won’t buy more than one series of this. It’s not entertaining to the masses, may as well swallow it and make it something new.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The americans won’t buy more than one series of this. It’s not entertaining to the masses, may as well swallow it and make it something new.

Given that USA and Australia have their own presenters, as does Germany. Is it not the format that was sold rather than episodes?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hmmm. Not sure. It did seem a long hour. I like le Blanc. He has that middle aged confidence and I like his dryness which is accentuated by his voice/accent. Rory needs to rein in his pubescent fervour. Not sure about Harris. He can’t help his cock sureness as a decent racing driver. He handled that FXXK like a seasoned Mig pilot. But he is on that short bridge between proficiency and arseholeity.

Will watch again. It’d be nice to have a 10 min review of cars we can all at least hope to own and enjoy.

nealglover
    Free Member

Given that USA and Australia have their own presenters, as does Germany. Is it not the format that was sold rather than episodes?

Yes, obviously. But don’t ruin it for the BBC Brand Strategy experts above 😉

mefty
    Free Member

No its both, or maybe was. Although in US, Top Gear UK is shown on BBC America, dont know whether it is shown elsewhere. In Australia, BBC Knowledge shows it first, then Channel 9. TV rights are very complicated these days.

deserter
    Free Member

Will watch again. It’d be nice to have a 10 min review of cars we can all at least hope to own and enjoy.

They do that on the extra show, I think the extra shoe enhances the main show, it’s like they are more relaxed on that

eemy
    Free Member

I think the extra shoe enhances the main show

Is it Matt LeBlanc or Jake le Peg who presents that?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Y’know the “extra show” thingy, the online BBC 3 thingy..

Do you not think that this will be pushed hard every show? I think soon, maybe even next season, that TG will be pushed to BBC 3 for online only.

edlong
    Free Member

IMHO they still haven’t had the courage to move it on from the Clarkson era. That is why Evans failed. They’re trying to make the Clarkson Top Gear with different faces. I thought Evans was a good choice originally, but I think I was expecting it to become a different show that played to his strengths – “TFI Cars” if you like.

pocpoc
    Free Member

A bit late to the party, but I’ve finally had chance to watch it.
    General impression is it’s OK. Nothing mind blowing but watchable.
    Except for Chris Harris. What an irritating little know-it-all twerp. Don’t know if it’s really him, or just a character he or the show is trying to create, but if I were Matt leBlanc I’d probably have punched him at some point during that challenge!
    Both Matt and Rory but looked genuinely annoyed and fed up with him a few times already during that piece.
    And I don’t think that James McAvoy took to him either judging by some of his responses 😕
    How many times did he have to insult him with the “you didn’t catch that, it was the electronics” line – I counted at least 3 times.
    Also, that crash definitely didn’t look staged. If it was sureley they would have has a nicely framed external shot rather than the combination of shaky in car footage from both vehicles?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve taken amazon prime in the last month so am starting to watch GT and without intending to its sort of in parallel to TG. I am not a fan of JC, but I do like Hammond and especially May. I enjoyed GT ep 1 very much. its what TG always wanted to be ( or i wanted it to be). A sort of TV version of Evo magazine, having fun reviewing amazing cars. No lower budget fillers doing daft stuff like destroying a caravan. Ep 2 watched yesterday was less good for me….a big filler with them doing daft stuff running around and shooting guns…oh dear. First episode of TG i liked, not quite the bug budget of GT but still the tv I want, and although i haven’t yet warmed to any of the presenters, I don’t dislike them either. I’m keen to see what the rest of the series is like.

prawny

Watched it last night, thought it was OK, not as good as TGT ep 1 but better than ep 2 which is as far as I got.

That said, I didn’t think the last series was half as bad as everyone made out, and I though Evans was OK too.

Chris Harris is probably my favourite out of the new three, quite like his presenting style, watched a couple of his Youtube vids after the last series and they were quite good too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed it, nothing too outrageous.
    Chris Harris, hmm, I like having someone with some indepth knowledge and technical ability, but he is a bit too much of a smart arse at times.
    Matt I like.
    Rory is ok, but he’s a bit meh.
    Hopefully they’ll get into a groove and relax a bit then they can develop things a bit.

legend
    Free Member

Rory could well be the new Jason Dawes….. with any luck

prawny

Nah he’s already lasted one series.

PrinceJohn

Really enjoying tonight’s episode, they seem to be growing into their roles more.

Cougar

Cock, has it started? I thought it was on at 9.

PePPeR

Enjoying the midwife prog on bbc1…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m warming the Harris, I already like MLB.

Ditch the SIAToyota.

Loved the Guila, was surprised because I thought it’d be a pile of 156 in a dress.

Love the Porker, love the challenge so far.

If it ended now I’d give it 8/10, but the boring Tennant bloke is on so it’ll get a 7/10 because it’s a waste of time.

crazy-legs

That was fun – an hour of very easy watching, same stunning photography as always.

I actually prefer it to the Grand Tour.

bigdaddy

Enjoyed that – it’s really coming together and they’re finding their feet. That mammoth mountain bit was ace!

wool

Brilliant, whole family watched tonight lols all round. Now have 8 & 10 year old bugging me to get the Porsche and the Alfa, I can afford nether.

Moe

I wonder …… if the BBC actually pulled a blinder last year; stick the marmite wonder kid in charge (Evans), let everyone aim vitriol at him, let the new guys settle in, let Evans be the fall guy …. let him fall. New guys start second series – everyone loves it. Result! BBC sticks one to Clarkson!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I enjoyed it tonight, it all mostly works now.

What have they done to the track? 1:44 in a GT86, that would be a decent, but not amazing time in the Lacetti.

I know the GT isn’t universally loved, but it should be massively faster than the Liana or Lecceti.

Kryton57

Very good. A show about cars stunningly shot without annoying quips, rather than the other way around.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Good wasn’t it! Fast forwarded the bloody star bit though.

PrinceJohn

I actually prefer it to the Grand Tour.

I didn’t get on with the Grand Tour – watched the first 2 or 3 but gave up on it.

grahamt1980

Like it more than last season and more than the Clarkson era to be honest.

Just good tv without the annoying tossers

nickewen
    Free Member

Cracking episode!! The Porsche vs Lambo up the mountain was incredible and looked like so much fun! Would love to do something like that. Lucky boys getting to do that for a living.

It’s got mr questioning M3 or Giulia though.. always thought it would be the Beemer but not so sure now! Can’t afford either one of them mind.

MartynS

Yet to watch, got it recorded.
    Grand tour ep 1 vs TG ep 1..
    TG has it by a mile. Feels like it’s back to the hayday of clarkson etc..
    Just a really good watch.
    TGT was fairly painful. Don’t know how true the figure is but the top gear series has a smaller budget that a grand tour episode.
    I’ve got a good feeling about TG…!

pondo

Didn’t enjoy the porker/lambo thing as much as last wek’s high miler thing, but a general rhumbs up from me. Good team – Monkey Harris stands out for me.

butcher

Agree that it’s beginning to feel much more like old Top Gear now, and the presenters appear to be genuinely enjoying it. In comparison, the Grand Tour feels quite stale and you get the impression even the presenters are bored of doing the same gags every week.

coogan
    Free Member

I’m liking it so far. Towards the end of the last series of TG it started to get a bit better… mainly as Evans was getting pushing further and further off camera. I’ve always liked Chris Harris so it’s good to see him get a bigger project to work on.

The Grand Tour was… meh, much like the last series of TG. Far too over scripted, and trying too force the jokes today too much, Hammond got right on my nerves, but it did have some good bits, but too many meh/bad bits. Best part I remember was the GT40 documentary that May did. But then he’s always been my fav one. Will see how they adjust it for the new series. But for now, TG is better option for me.

johndoh
    Free Member

But that Lambo- I just squirted something. Gorgeous.

6079smithw
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    I enjoyed it tonight, it all mostly works now.

What have they done to the track? 1:44 in a GT86, that would be a decent, but not amazing time in the Lacetti.

I know the GT isn’t universally loved, but it should be massively faster than the Liana or Lecceti.The fastest celeb did a 1:39. Never heard of whoever it was but a quick driver would be in the low 1:30s I reckon.

Great episode and hurray for the Alfa Giulia

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 328 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear – Back this Sunday’ is closed to new replies.