Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Today's dullest topic: domestic LED bulbs
  • cinnamon_girl

25,000 hours? Get in the fxxxing sea!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I can guarantee you they don’t last that long, especially the GU10 spotlight ones

Keep the receipt

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never had one blow (normal bayonet/screw fitting ones).

Although we did swap a few back to hallogen as the “90W equivalent” was a bit optimistic.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Try a decent brand 😛

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The normal light fitting ones seem to last for ever, but the GU10 spots are crap.

cinnamon_girl

13 months and I don’t live in the Arctic Circle or Scotland. Not a spotlight, just used in a table lamp.

Likely I have the receipt, will they refund?

Any makes that are more prone to failure?

cinnamon_girl

Decent brand? Such as?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well, seeing as you asked, try Philips or OSRAM.

scotroutes

That’ll be average rather than guaranteed lifespan. In Dorian Grays attic a light bulb has been on for the past 6 years….

cinnamon_girl

Thanks gofasterstripes, that’s helpful.

scotroutes – I expected to be dead before the bulb ran out!

matt_outandabout

Our screwfix ones, bought on recommendation from here, are all going about two years in, all within weeks of each other… :/

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Is it the switching on that does the damage? As with the old filament bulbs.

The LEDs themselves last years. Unfortunately the cheap Chinese electronics that power them are crap.

For example, big solder blob at no extra cost…..

maccruiskeen

I expected to be dead before the bulb ran out!

You should get that table lamp PAT tested – it sounds lethal 🙂

footflaps

The LEDs themselves last years

Not at full brightness though, above about 60C they start deteriorating and slowly dimming.

cinnamon_girl

You should get that table lamp PAT tested – it sounds lethal

I blame the operator. 🙂

It tries to work, flickers away but barely any light. Didn’t leave it too long due to fear of exploding, or something!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What wattage are you after?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve also found a big difference between weird brands off Amazon that claim all sorts and quality brands like Phillips and osram etc. Even my GU10s last if they are Phillips etc. I’ve got a fairly dark house and have some brilliant osram bulbs throughout.
    I think they’re osram superstars and I didn’t pay more than £7.50 per bulb 3 years ago.

cinnamon_girl

15W, 1521Lm. The worry is that I have a couple more of this make of bulbs in other table lamps.

cinnamon_girl

Philips and Osram sound a good idea, don’t want any more Homebase bulbs.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

15w GU10?! Yes, you’ll struggle to keep that cool. I was imagining <5w TBH.

Edukator
    Free Member

The first one I bought in about 2008 IIRC, a 4W screw in, is still going. It cost what seemed a fortune and replaced a normal 40W giving a bit more light as a bonus. It’s run perhaps 10hr a day for 200 days for over 8 years (I bought for the most used light logically enough).

So 16000 hrs or 16000 x 4W / 1000 = 64kWh which has cost about 10e. The normal bulb would have cost 100e to run. Bargain.

Don’t use LEDs in a situation where you can look at them directly. Reflected light from LEDs is OK but directly in your eyes it could cause damage long term.

cinnamon_girl

gofasterstripes – the others are a lower wattage but there’s no mention of GU10. Called LED Classic dimmable but unable to use dimmable function. This is supposed to be the equivalent of 100W.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Reflected light from LEDs is OK but directly in your eyes it could cause damage long term.

yawat?

Pretty sure there’s UV filtering in the phospor. Either way, it’s that fact it’s really really sodding bright that’s likely to be the problem, not some other property of LED light.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Dimming LED’s is a PITA. Many dimmers expect a substantial minimum load, which LEDs don’t present [eg 150-500w dimmer won’t like 5x15w LEDs] then there’s also the issue of dimmer type compatibility. In many cases dimming is achieved by clipping the start or the end of the mains sinewave, LEDs that are dimmable may expect trailing edge and you may perhaps have a leading edge dimmer…. or the other way around.

I am a bit pressed for time, so here’s a DUTCH page for LED dimmers, try using Google Translate or something to read the site and get a feel for the dimmers they’re using.

http://www.ledlampendirect.nl/led-dimmer-230v-inbouw-geschikt-voor-alle-bekende-merken-afdekramen.html

I strongly suggest lower power GU10’s, if you buy a modern high-quality GU10 replacement you may find you hit your required light output at a lower wattage due to increases in LED efficiency.

NB also google “LED lighting CRI” – if you need colour accuracy in that room.

captaindanger

I don’t think the op was after a gu10? Unlikely in a table lamp. Philips osram megaman all worth a look but you will be limited if you want it 1500 lumens. I’ve recently discovered calex which look great but not tested them for 25000hrs! They are reputable though so I think that should be a reasonable value

MrOvershoot

slowoldgit – Member

You do know how dimming an LED works?

Edukator
    Free Member

Try Googling before rubbishing, gofasterstrips.

Premature ageing of the retina.

It’s well known so you’ll have no trouble finding something similar in English.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Philips do trad globe b22 type led bulbs of 1500lm, if that is what the OP is after

http://www.leds4less.co.uk/100w-led-replacment-bulb-lamp–b22-bayonet–high-power-smd–philips-415-p.asp

rmacattack
    Free Member

yeah the hours thing is probably an average in lab test conditions. real world not so much. there’s a few ways to look at it like said above. buy cheap but replace sooner or buy dearer and get a bit longer. i wouldnt be to fussed cause youd save on the leccy a bit anyways.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m aware of the discussions about blue light from LEDs, but I think the risk is hugely exaggerated…. Also, any decent LEDs are much warmer than old style whites.

cinnamon_girl

gofaster – I only use them in table lamps. Are you saying that wattage is asking for trouble?

I’ve found the receipt, funnily enough I’d already returned one of the two as it wasn’t working. Normal price £13, it was bogof when I purchased so £6.50 for one. 😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hey.

Is it a GU10 then? I can’t quite understand from this talk of table lamps 🙂

If it’s a GU10 in a recessed fitting then I would think you’d be better staying at a lower wattage. If it’s in a table lamp, so relatively well ventilated then a good quality bulb should last a long time there, no excuses. It’s not that a higher power LED lamp should last for a shorter time, only that relatively higher power lamps generate more heat, so how the lamp is installed and ventilated is more important.

Most other types of lamp should also be designed for free air operation, so again, unless they’re crammed in a tiny space I don’t think you have a problematic installation environment.

PS @ Edukator, sorry I didn’t mean to sound like a dick.

cinnamon_girl

No, it’s a B22 with a large amount of plastic beneath the glass and weighs a ton.

This one:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/dimmable-led-classic-bc-15w-bulb-342986

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK so I suggest trying a Philips or Osram equivalent. I would be very confident that it will last a long time in a well-ventilated lamp 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thank you, shall do that. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Are the lamps connected to a dimmer?

cinnamon_girl

No, no dimmer facility in my home.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ok!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m generally not one to carry out animal testing, but it occurs to me, that in this case I sort-of have.

This is a 2x50w LED pack for my fishtank, here running 50w of 430 and 410nm blue LED’s.

There is also some photoreactive medicine* in the tank – rather analogous to the way the orange phosphor in white LED’s fills in the longer wavelengths.

Normally I run this at about 20w, with 50w of mixed whites (etc) as well. None of the fish seem to have any problems with their eyesight (I’m glad!)

Makes you think…

*eSHa2000 – nothing special.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Today's dullest topic: domestic LED bulbs’ is closed to new replies.