Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Today's dullest topic: domestic LED bulbs
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Put these in all the main light fittings in my house about a year ago and none have “blown” or whatever it is LEDs do yet. Prior to that the bulbs were going all the time, and tripping the ridiculously old fuse thing that you have to wire yourself.

AlexSimon

Can I recommend Ikea.
    Their CRI (colour rendering index) numbers are high and generally seem good quality.
    We bought a range of all the ones with a CRI >90
    They also sell adapters for bayonet fittings.

Murray

Anyone found any decent G9s?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Both Osram and Philips do G9 LED replacements.

CountZero

Edukator – Reformed Troll
    Try Googling before rubbishing, gofasterstrips.

Premature ageing of the retina.

It’s well known so you’ll have no trouble finding something similar in English.
    Isn’t LeFigaro something like the Daily Mail?
    This whole ‘blue light from LED’s’ thing I’m pretty sure is a red herring rather than a blue whale – if you have a regular white LED and shine it on fluorescent material, it’ll look bright, but it won’t glow, but if you use a blue LED, it will, because there’s a strong UV element to the output.
    Bleating on about not having a mobile phone on by your bed because the ‘blue light’ will disturb your sleep is just so full of crap, it makes no sense at all; what about natural daylight, is that less damaging then?

footflaps

Just over 2 years ago I swapped every light bulb in the house over to LED at about £5 each. All from LED Hut. Rather disappointingly they’ll all now failing….

These are two which both went this week. They started flickering madly then died 1-2 days later. On examination they’re coming apart…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RHKcvJ]Duff bulbs from LED Hut[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Jamie
    Free Member

Just over 2 years ago I swapped every light bulb in the house over to LED at about £5 each. All from LED Hut. Rather disappointingly they’ll all now failing….

I redone the house via LED Hut, apart from the tubes in the kitchen, similar time ago. So far 5 have gone. To their credit, I just shoot them an email with the order #, and I get replacements the next day or so.

I had a chance to extend the warranty from 2 to 5 years when I bought them, but forgot. Looks like all new failure replacements will be bought elsewhere.

Murray

I used to buy from LED Hut too – gave up as they wouldn’t refund for very early failures ( < 1 month)

cinnamon_girl

Get in the fxxxing sea, I got me a refund. 8)

@Murray – I’ve also ordered, via energybulbs.co.uk, a Philips G9 although had to settle for less wattage than the 40w non-LED it’s replacing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Although we did swap a few back to hallogen as the “90W equivalent” was a bit optimistic.

We have Ikea dimmable 150W equivalent in the living room – they are very bright indeed.

CountZero

I’ve replaced most of the house lights with LED ones I bought from Wilco’s, replacing those nasty low energy fluorescent jobbies, which are now in a pile in the cupboard; where can I dispose of the drafted things? Nearest council tip?
    All I need to replace now is the overhead tube in the kitchen.
    Those LED Hut lights are clearly rubbish, that’s a structural failure, not a specific LED issue, probably heat causing the plastic to break up.
    Even without a receipt surely the EU legislation covering something for six years should cover those, they’re clearly unfit for purpose.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

All I need to replace now is the overhead tube in the kitchen.

If you’ve got a fluorescent tube in the kitchen then leave it. The efficiency of Fluro tubes is as good as LED, the tubes last a long time with high CRI and good colour. Trying to pack fluoro tubes into small bulb shapes didn’t work so well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just come back to this and reading people saying they replaced all their house bulbs and had issues. I replaced all mine with the osram superstar ones, about 3 years ago, I’m pretty sure I paid £7.50 or less on some multibuy they’re probably much cheaper now. I’ve not had one fail and I’m really pleased with the quality of light. my house is quite dark and these lights made a massive difference compared to old energy saving bulbs I had.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve replaced tubes with LED tubes. They’re 1800lm and visibly brighter than the fluo tubes they replace. 20W rather than 36W which isn’t much of a saving I admit. In the living room I use a 1700lm with a warmer colour.

Cougar

How does that work, do you need to remove the starters?

phiiiiil

They come with a “dummy” starter that replaces whatever is there. I’ve got a few LED tubes in the garage, I really like them. They’ve outlasted the old tubes, are brighter and are much less fragile.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

20W rather than 36W which isn’t much of a saving I admit

They’ve outlasted the old tubes, are brighter

I know people seem to like these LED tube replacements but the numbers don’t stack up on them. Quality T5 high efficiency tubes (eg OSRAM) are quoting 92 l/w which is as good or better than any production LEDs. Rated for a 20k+ hour life (same as LEDs). They’ve other lamps rated up to 104 lm/w and long life versions supposedly good for 35-40k hours.

Unlike the dodgy chinese lamps it’s far more likely that they actually reach the stated efficiency, run at the stated wattage and will actually last that long. Even if they don’t they’re a fraction of the price of LED replacements (about £2 each)

much less fragile.

Can’t argue with that but unless installed without any sort of diffuser I’ve never managed to break one after delivery and installation

Cougar

As a random tangent, talking of strip lights,

I’ve got one that I took out of the kitchen, probably 8′ long. How are you supposed to dispose of the bloody things, it’s been in my back yard for six months as I don’t know what to do with it.

sweepy
    Free Member

Put it on freecycle and someone will have it for their garage

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Today's dullest topic: domestic LED bulbs’ is closed to new replies.