Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Tired of hearing this at work……..
  • bensales
    Free Member

“Sorry, couldn’t find the mute button”

We use Skype every bloody day, for multiple conference calls, and have done for years. You think everyone by now would know how to put themselves on and off mute.

richwales

“Can you just…..”
    Use of the word “just” when it usually means days of work

tall_martin

“stop talking”

” I’m not talking” -clearly were talking as their mouth was going and their mate was giggling.

Year 9 counted me at 52 stop talkings in a 45 min lesson.

Cougar

Phone call, “I’ve just sent you an email…”

Well, one of those two things was redundant, wasn’t it.

DezB
    Free Member

The sound of my own snoring

timidwheeler

We’ll have to take it to committee.

fasthaggis

“You’re a cyclist,why is it that …<anti-cyclist rant>” ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m fairly easygoing by nature, but anyone who uses the word “segue” in a meeting should be taken outside and shot.

DezB
    Free Member

fasthaggis

“You’re a cyclist,why is it that …<anti-cyclist rant>” ?

Ah yes, I’ve been told the same story a few times by the same bloke – how a cyclist he overtook, giving a very wide berth, did some hand gestures at him. I don’t think it was me, so not sure why I’m supposed to be at all interested… 😆

gummikuh

“I’m an engineer”

fasthaggis

Well,all cyclists know each other Dez a bit like the Borg,so he probably thinks it’s one of your mates 😉

craig5

“just a 2 minute job” (my arse it is), why cant we (you) do it like this or can we? (ignore the design/H&S/procedure/common sense). No you cant

deadkenny
    Free Member

With release long overdue, bloated and overloading dev & test resources…

“Can we just squeeze this into the release also? Shouldn’t take long”

timmycee
    Free Member

“Takeaway single espresso”

highlandman
    Free Member

‘Most people in business are honest and just want to pay the right amount of tax’.

welshfarmer

[strong]wwaswas[/strong] wrote:

“Jesus loves you.”
    If you will work in a church what do you expect?

Nah, he works in a Mexican prison 🙂

What I am likely to hear this weekend (and every other weekend when the weather is nice)

“bugger, looks like bloody walkers have left a gate open again. Go sort those sheep out.”

RobHilton
    Free Member

Use of the word “just”

Bane of my life!

“I don’t know why…”
    “My opinion is…”
    “In the Daily Mail it says…”

And other logical fallacies :/

Discussions on getting new phones by people who think bigger numbers = better. e.g. Megapixels

nicko74

How do you find out if there’s a pilot on the forum?
    Don’t worry they’ll tell you…

😀

“Avoiding action, turn left IMMEDIATELY, traffic in your 12 o’clock, 2miles, is an opposite direction Boeing, same level”

Flying off boats given you’re using left/ right?

Nico
    Free Member

Some folk are just born to whine on about stuff.

muddylegs
    Free Member

I know it’s the weekend and I don’t like to disturb you but….

A colleague is on a Brexit planning team. Every time I see him I ask “have we left yet?”

Oh how he laughs!

edhornby

“We are where we are” not only does it never apply to a geographical location it’s completely senseless. We’d be better off quoting rastamouse and ‘make a bad ting good’ which is the sentiment that someone tries to convey when they use that awful phrase

MSP
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

At the end of the day…
    I’m not racist, but…
    I know you’re on your lunch but…
    Hey, you’re a nurse, what’s this [shows festering body part]…. Even when I say I’m a psych nurse they carry on!

perchypanther
    Free Member

We are where we are” not only does it never apply to a geographical location it’s completely senseless.

Yeah, but it is what it is.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not hearing but tired of saying
    “Have you tried switching it off and on again?”
    And if anyone tells me they’re tired of hearing me say that try doing it before you call me

“Your call is important to us”

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

“Avoiding action, turn left IMMEDIATELY, traffic in your 12 o’clock, 2miles, is an opposite direction Boeing, same lev

@pomona

“We’re running late today, can we have a short cut?”

Mister-P
    Free Member

Takeaway single espresso

Could be worse, they could be saying expresso

Kryton57

“He’ll do it on Wednesday when he comes back from annual leave”

No I **** won’t, because you haven’t talked to me, understood my workload or realised I’m out of the office until Friday so stop promising customers shit I can’t achieve!!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

“it will be good experience/for your development/for your competencies”.

What you really mean is will I take on the job with out grumbling, that all the more experienced guys have turned down and told you where to go.

P-Jay
    Free Member

He’s on “annual leave” which makes no sense really, he’s on Holiday, or on “leave”. “Annual Leave” is how much you can take, not some horrid code name for Holiday.

“Monies” no, it’s money, however much of it, it is, it’s money.

“Client wants to speak to you” which is often code for “Client doesn’t know you from Adam, but wants to discuss something I will find unpleasant to talk about so I’ve name dropped you as our equivalent of Mr. Wolf from Pulp Fiction”

“Can I borrow you” – are you simple? I’m not a cup of sugar, just ask for my help or a chat.

“Are you busy” which might as well be “it’s a trap”.

“I can get it cheaper in PC World” – which you can’t, thanks mostly to the way Microsoft sell Windows devices, and the fact there’s a few hours labour to take it from “Hi” to a fully working and integrated computer on your network, not to mention, you didn’t actually know what you needed until you asked me and I spent hours of my time and experience to spec for you.

“Cloud” because “cloud” means internet and internet is free yeah? So I want 10TB of data and a load of programmes available globally through the thinnest of clients in the most secure way possible whilst still maintaining the performance if a 10 Gigabyte internal network, I want it tomorrow and obvs, it’s free init? What do you mean pay? My mate runs his multinational on DropBox!

“Ever since” as in “ever since your team installed our new phone system 3 months ago my printer, monitor, car, next doors cat, appreciation of the arts has stopped working, you must replace it immediately”.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

expresso

Oh. Oh no. Please don’t.

MoreCashThanDash

There’s some sort of therapy being had in some posts up there!

I keep hearing “are you on holiday again?”. No, I have a term time contract, it’s not holiday, I’m just not contracted or paid to come in.

deadkenny
    Free Member

“It’s a regression”

Just because you haven’t seen it before and it’s the first time you’ve run that specific test on a feature that already existed doesn’t mean it’s a regression.

“I installed previous version and it worked fine”

Still not regression unless you’ve done a controlled test starting from same base point, same test, on both versions and have control over the data source. Even then can be a random issue just haven’t noticed before.

Sorry, dev rant. Everything marked regression means top priority and blocks release, in their opinion. 90% have not been and half of those were user error.

takisawa2

“We can do that, cant you…”

Adequately sums up life at the cutting edge of pneumatic s design.

matt_outandabout

” Office 365 and SharePoint can’t do that”

(Today’s was being unable to insert pictures into word or PowerPoint)

scc999

“I know I should <insert correct process here>, but….”  Yep, far quicker for you to disturb me, thus meaning that all those who HAVE followed the correct process have to wait while I explain to you that you need to… oh never mind.

As I’m leaving for the day, having already been delayed so I’m rushing to catch the one train an hour that goes to my station.  “I can see you’re rushing off, but this wont take a minute”.  You’re right, it’ll take at least 5 minutes.   It could also wait until tomorrow.  Or you could follow the correct process and it could be fixed by someone before then.

Actually, most things people say to me that involve the word “but” in the first sentance.

Hey ho – long weekend coming up!

jamesoz

“It passed last time, I don’t see how the server room has new holes in it”

Or
    “You’ll be fine on your own it’s only one cylinder”
    yes a 150kg cylinder and there’s stairs.

And the classic:- (me) “we can’t get carry it up the stairs, 300 kg is too much”

(Them):- “have you tried the other stairs?”

leffeboy

feels P-Jays pain

and scc999’s pain 🙂

“can we buy this thing I just googled 5 mins ago as I think it might be able to solve the problem I can’t be arsed to specify and it turns out they write good marketing blurb that I’m completely sucked in by as thinking isn’t one of my skills…”*

* This might be paraphrased a little

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Resourcing time
    “But you have 2 people working for you”
    Yep one does 4 days the other 2-3 so I have 1.2-1.4 people which is why it will take longer!
    “We need results for the case study”
    The project isn’t finished – I’m not making up numbers
    “Travelling isn’t really work”
    when looking at another long week in random places/declining to take the 6am flight as I’m not paid any extra to get up at 3am and spend 18hrs out because we organised the meeting before checking flights

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Tired of hearing this at work……..’ is closed to new replies.