Viewing 19 posts - 361 through 379 (of 379 total)
  • Tim Farron
  • bloodynora
    Free Member

Liberal Muzlimz…. hahahahahahaha…. thanks Turnerguy for that gem

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

the definition of who an ‘enemy of the people’ is is in the Daily Mail – so whomever it targets is an ‘enemy of the people’ . That must be pretty simple to understand, right ?

You may disagree.

But you still can’t get past the fact that they are an enemy of the people, as it meets the Daily Mail’s definition.

Northwind

TurnerGuy – Member

but that is what the bible says so you have no reason to think it is offensive. It’s sinful, end of.

I really have no idea if this was a joke or not tbh, I hope so but in this thread it’s getting hard to tell.

mt
    Free Member

I read that the bigots and fundamentalists are still at play.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I really have no idea if this was a joke or not tbh, I hope so but in this thread it’s getting hard to tell.

I can’t see what your argument is – it meets the definition of that word in the bible, so it’s a sin.

Or are you saying that your definitions of what are a sin is override what is in the bible, or that you dissagree with parts of the bible but not others, and find it offensive that those bits were written ?

So you find the bible offensive, which is fair enough, but you can’t find Farron offensive for pointing out that homosexual love is a sin as he is correct, that is what the bible says.

What exactly are you offended about ?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

turnerguy – just swap ‘Christian’ and ‘Bible’ in your argument with the words ‘Muslim’ and ‘Quran’, or any other philosophy/religion. Then maybe you’ll understand why not everyone in a secular democracy accepts the ‘authority’ or ‘definitions’ of the religious. In fact, so contentious are they that even theocracies have constant internal division and fighting over definitions.

Why is it perfectly OK for random religious people to go around pointing the finger and marking innocent people as ‘evil’? Effectively demonising them? This kind of demonisation plays hard with authoritarian politics. It’s not a far stretch from pointing a finger to sewing on a pink triangle. It always starts with the pointing finger, which somehow you are OK with.

Freedom of speech is more than free when your are in power.

kelvin

The good news is that plenty of christians will give you a very different interpretation of all this to that which many evangelicals (and some trolls on a bike forum) offer.

tjagain

I am not sure if Turner guy is arguing devils advocate but what I find offensive is Farron thinks its OK for public servants to discriminate against homosexuals.

Now I do believe in religious freedom but religious freedom is trumped by the need to act without prejudice and this is even more important when its a public servant.

It goes back to ” religion s like a penis. Its fine to have one, its ok to be proud of it, its good to play with it but please don’t wave it around in public and try to stuff it down others throats”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*erratum

This kind of demonisation plays hard right into the hands of authoritarian/fascistic politics

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

turnerguy – just swap ‘Christian’ and ‘Bible’ in your argument with the words ‘Muslim’ and ‘Quran’, or any other philosophy/religion. Then maybe you’ll understand why not everyone in a secular democracy accepts the ‘authority’ or ‘definitions’ of the religious.

I don’t accept that authority either – it is BS – but if it meets the black-and-white definition written in their texts then it meets the definition – that’s it – there is no argueing against it.

Or has sin now got a secular meaning ?

Why is it perfectly OK for random religious people to go around pointing the finger and marking innocent people as ‘evil’?

It’s not – it is offensive, but that doesn’t get past the fact that the religious texts say the act is a sin.

The good news is that plenty of christians will give you a very different interpretation of all this to that which many evangelicals (and some trolls on a bike forum) offer.

well that would be more BS then as it is there in the bible, unless they are saying that the bible and the word of their god is BS. Which obviously it is, but that is another issue.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Pretty sure a sizeable swathe of Christians don’t believe in the literal word of the bible and recognise large parts of it as allegorical and as having been edited, translated and interpreted by the early church onwards. That’s why you can buy the Good News/Kids bible etc which have edited and amended text compared to the King James Bible (which is significantly different to the latin versions that preceded it).

tjagain

the stabiliser -0 indeed which is why the church of scotland is happy to marry gay folk in their church. Farrons views might have had a bit more traction with me if shared by a large part of the population like say abortion but on this one his views only shared by a tiny minority.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pretty sure a sizeable swathe of Christians don’t believe in the literal word of the bible

all the bits written by the prophets though are the ‘word of god/jesus’ so how can they not believe those bits?

the stabiliser -0 indeed which is why the church of scotland is happy to marry gay folk in their church

Marrying gay folk I suppose is OK in the eyes of the church, as long as they do not consumate the marriage.

What a joke religion is…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Will this country adopt atheism if Corbyn and McDonnell get in ? Like many other Marxist states :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

if so I might consider voting for them…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Marrying gay folk I suppose is OK in the eyes of the church

Which church? Baptist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, United Church of Christ, Methodist, Episcopal, Brethren/Mennonite?

Westboro Baptist?

ymmv

as long as they don’t consummate the marriage

Hmm.

While Christianity has traditionally forbidden sodomy, believing it to be parallel to homosexuality, some believe in the Hebrew text and history that the word sodomy literally means “male temple prostitute”, and not a translation for homosexual. Thus, homosexuality is not thought of as an act of sin in a growing population of churches today

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_affirming_LGBT

Not all LGBT (or hetero) ppl like butsecks btw, even if Bible-types could agree on the definition of ‘sodomy’. What is ‘consummate’? Penetrate? Orgasm? Copping a feel? How do lesbians ‘consummate’ a marriage?

‘consummate’ is an odd term IMO. Marriage is so much more than what type of non-reproductive sexual activity is preferred. As I say, churches/temples/mosques mileages will vary im differing degrees.

kerley
    Free Member

Will this country adopt atheism if Corbyn and McDonnell get in ? Like many other Marxist states

No, it is not one of their policies
    No, because it won’t be a Marxist state

thestabiliser
    Free Member

all the bits written by the prophets though are the ‘word of god/jesus’

New testament? Written by disciples not prophets innit? An account of the life of Jeebus by a few different folk, mortal, fallible folk? Not all of them agree on the events either. Sounds pretty open for debate to me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

New testament? Written by disciples not prophets innit?

in one of the links I provided eartlier it said Pauls writing were the words of Jesus.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Oh well, if it’s on the internet it must be gospel ;P

Viewing 19 posts - 361 through 379 (of 379 total)

The topic ‘Tim Farron’ is closed to new replies.