Home Forums Chat Forum Ticks, is it game over for shorts?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • Ticks, is it game over for shorts?
  • hightensionline

😬

redthunder
    Free Member

Today I’m trying…. 10 Denier.
    do I look sexy

Hope the ticks don’t find me to Sexy ;-)

hightensionline

Those shoes could be tricky on Spuds or flats, but at least they’ll show your lovely ankles off.

b33k34

It’s really interesting how people’s reports of tick ‘bites’ varies from “never been bitten” to “I pick up ticks all the time”. Is this because some people attract and pick up ticks more easily

Does seem that way – i had a mate and he was always fine, but his partner would pick up numerous ticks every time she went out.

I think I’ve had two ever. And one of those was on the top of my big toe (I think it was in my crocs when I put them on). But I know other people who get them regularly even if in longs and long sleeves. Clothes don’t seem to help hugely.

MrSparkle

Fascinating creatures.  A bit like ladyboys.

In what way are they like ladyboys???

johnhe

Just to say that Lymes disease is a complete and total, un-exaggeratable nightmare if not caught and diagnosed. (My daughter caught it when young, and on holiday in the Black Forest). Once identified, it’s a breeze to treat, at least in my daughters case. But boy, it’s awful until you figure out what it is. Life altering/destroying.

doris5000
    Free Member

Growing up in Herefordshire/Shropshire and doing all my outdoor pursuits there and in Wales I’d not really heard of them never mind seen one.

Same – I spent the mid 90s dragging my bike around the Stiperstones/Eastridge/Longmynd etc and had never really heard about ticks until relatively recently

mikeyp

Most tick treatments for pets etc are broad spectrum insecticides and tend to be nasty. They are toxic to bees and lots of aquatic life so reducing their use is a good idea. It’s the reason why your dog should not go in a water course within 2 days of treatment.

redthunder
    Free Member

Today’s legs….

lady m

Pix later.

Might look into a Only Fans account;)

mudfish

johns
    Just to say that Lymes disease is a complete and total, un-exaggeratable nightmare if not caught and diagnosed. (My daughter caught it when young, and on holiday in the Black Forest). Once identified, it’s a breeze to treat, at least in my daughters case. But boy, it’s awful until you figure out what it is. Life altering/destroying.
    I wonder if it was a straightforward cure for her because you caught it quickly?
    Was that the case?
    Did she get the bullseye rash?

I’ve read that there’s a treatment time limit and once Lyme gets hold it’s an incurable lifelong problem. (Eg with my US pal Lenny who was killed by lymphoma which the docs said was due to his Lyme).
    The lady I met in my local woods (Friston) who’d been infected there years earlier, told of having to travel to Germany to get diagnosed and despite treatment still feeling quite ill years later.

mudfish

Anyone tried the “tickless” ultrasonic repeller?
    https://healingfursouls.com/tickless-review/
    Seems too good to be true? Very varying reviews out there.

core

Herefordshire/Welsh borders area – never had an issue with ticks, on myself or dogs, until this year.

My friend’s terriers used to occasionally get them after they’d  been down a hole somewhere, but since the spring we’re finding them on the dogs (spaniels) after most walks if there’s any remotely long grass involved. Sometimes catch them before they’ve had a chance to latch on, but end up pulling most out – alpkit do a good tool that seems to get the mouth parts out too.

In the past few weeks we’ve been in Cumbria, The Highlands, Peak District and South Downs, and have found ticks on the dogs after walks in all of those locations.

crosshair
    Free Member

Pretty much only wear shorts at work, often in bracken, occasionally in thick bracken. Luckily don’t get ticks despite the dogs getting plastered here if not Bravecto’d. Their current dose is at around 17 months and still effective- we only re-treat once they start getting live ticks again.
    I do have to pluck around 15 horse flies a day off of my legs and arms but thankfully I don’t react to those.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Had 17 on my legs (was wearing baselayer Helly Hansen tights at the time). Had to pick them all off. Always use a lighter to kill them as nothing else seems to work (once they’re removed, of course).

Kayaked up in Lomond last year and found the islands were full of them. So far, managed to avoid Lyme Disease as far as I can tell.

Normally live in Southern Spain and only ever saw one which was in Cazorla, which is a wetter part of Andalucia. Probably too hot for them that far south and not much foilage neither.

I’m not sure trousers work. They’re tenacious little things and seem wise to the fact that they can hide much better in the hard to reach places (once had to remove from under my balls and had to get my mate to pluck one from my arse crack).

If I come back from wildcamping these days in the UK, I go through the unedifying procedure of squatting over a mirror and examining my behind – something only someone on a GP’s salary would contemplate no doubt.

jamiemcf

I go through the unedifying procedure of squatting over a mirror and examining my behind

What about trying the mirrored wardrobe doors …. What else do you do with them?

mudfish

My thinking with light coloured pants is that you can see em and brush em off. Sure they can get inside too.
    Not so easy with my customary all black outfit. My pal says he’s had them inside bike tights. Tenacious little buggers.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have had a couple and fine they itch and hence have found them as there has been something to notice. Got them before they have swelled up so early.

TheBrick
    Free Member

They like warm moist areas hence why you find them on balls/bum/twurnt

mudfish

I don’t think they always itch.
    Little sods they are.
    I’m using pale trousers so I can spot em before they crawl in and Smidge now, but if it repels insects what’s it doing to me when it soaks in!
    The cost of cycling!

brokenbanjo

I had a job surveying for ticks in the Cairngorms. I spent a summer dragging a white blanket over various moors and counting them. Suffice to say, I got bit plenty of times, including once on the winky. I got Lyme’s too, but got super strong antibiotics when I told the Dr my job. Incidentally, the antibiotics I was one, apparently a single tablet was sufficient to treat syphillis, I was on two a day for 10 days.

Re the Frontline issue, spot ons disperse through the lipid layer on the epidermis. We tend to wash it off every time we shower. I don’t want to know what is in Bravecto, what I do know is that it comes out in dog’s poo, meaning those pillocks that claim that nature will degrade their dog’s excrement are way off the mark (like the unrottable sheep poo on the hills).

mudfish

Brokenbanjo
    Wow, quite a job that. Do you take precautions now when in the countryside / riding?
    Thx

inky_squid

I do all my outdoorsy stuff in mid Wales and I’ve never gotten ticks.  My wife hasn’t either.  We both do tend towards wearing trousers all the time.  It does worry me a bit, but I’ve never noticed a bite before.

jamesco

Years ago when Ticks,  Scab mites and other  creepy crawlies and their associated diseases were becoming a real issue for sheep farmers the Ministry of Agriculture brought in a scheme where sheep flocks had to be compulsorily dipped twice a year within certain date parameters. What this did was to eradicate lots of the nasty  ( and not so nasty ) bugs from the public consciousness , Tick numbers in the bracken beds plummeted . However  the favoured chemical for this scheme contained organophosphates and some shepherds began to develop a condition known  as ‘Dippers Flu’, which subsequently became known more widely as ‘Gulf War Syndrome’ due to soldiers being given a treatment to ward off insect borne diseases in the Middle East and also the effects of the Organophosphates when used in a war zone as a nerve gas. This brings us to the point where our government drops the dipping scheme as they realise the connection and don’t want to be sued by thousands of sheep farmers who were forced to use this lethal chemical , albeit relatively safe if handled as prescribed, I have witnessed people mixing the stuff with their bare hands and winced. Basically ‘Spoton’ et al are weak OPs which act as a nerve agent on creepy crawlies but who knows how these things build up over time in the food chain and the effect they have  long term. In short that is why we are seeing more and more ticks , they have always had a massive pool in the wild deer population but equally deer numbers are increasing all over the country, sheep farmers still have insecticides at their disposal but they are not used in the same blanket ways of yesteryear.

mudfish

We’d better be vigilant.
    I’ve a pal who is quite seriously ill with diagnosed Lyme. 3 weeks of heavy antibiotics have not shifted it.
    He said he always checked thoroughly after being outside and was constantly removing then – and that even so, he sometimes found them a few days later on him in areas previously checked.
    Apparently they can stow away on clothing or in the car and get on you later.
    Also it’s worth mentioning that he had one inside his long Lycra cycling tights right up on the thigh. They seem to crawl with quite some determination.
    On the plus side the hospital A&E doc did test for Lyme hoping it would account for the neurological symptoms which prompted his visit.

13thfloormonk

Our wee boy seems to pick them up very easily, I feel terrible as I never believe him but every time, right enough, there’s another tick (it’s always tiny black ones, not sure what species that is). Thankfully they seem to latch on in very obvious places like forearms, calves and his chest randomly, is a kids skin thinner/warmer or something?

I’ve got a 100% record for extracting them intact so far and our son is very brave about it, but I don’t want to tempt fate so will start Smidging him and hoping it works.

mudfish

My pal who tested positive is still ill. Mental issues. Take em seriously! I guess that’s the way ne advantage of cold weather. They aren’t out.

MadBillMcMad

In case people not aware smidge acts as a tick repellent as well so reccomend using all day when riding in tick country not just when the flying wee beasties are out

slowsslow
    Free Member

A few years ago I lived in a place which was recognised as the ‘tick capital of the Northern Beaches of Sydney’. I could not walk in the garden without getting one. I checked every time I came in and usually got them when they were crawling. However, the locals swore by a rub down with talcum powder after outside activities and then getting into an epsom salts bath. It seemed to work – but I would suggest prevention is better than the cure so now I live back in the UK – on a farm with lots of deer on it so I use smidge now.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Most tick treatments for pets etc are broad spectrum insecticides and tend to be nasty. They are toxic to bees and lots of aquatic life so reducing their use is a good idea. It’s the reason why your dog should not go in a water course within 2 days of treatment.

Our vet is pretty vocal about not administering due to the damage to the environment.

dovebiker

Picked the first one off the dog at the weekend – we do have red deer living next to us. Some of the repellents like Tick Magic use non-insecticides and are quite effective – a local farm worker swears it’s very good

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Craghoppers only make these for women at the mo:

https://www.craghoppers.com/womens-nosilife-adeena-legging-blue-navy/

but, it’s the way to go👍

reluctantjumper

Funny this thread has popped back up, was just thinking it was getting close to tick time again. Since posting this:

Rarely get bitten, probably one or two a year but even then I have had a confirmed infection of Lyme. Took a while to get my doctor to take me seriously, they really thought it was a fake disease, but when the lethargy got to me quite seriously they ran tests and I came back positive. A long course of antibiotics eventually sorted it out and I’ve got no lasting effects but it did knock me down a few pegs for nearly 12 months!

Still ride in shorts just make sure I check for them afterwards.

I got a late season bite last year, only a mild rash and no ill effects so must have got lucky:

Will have to see about some sort of spray for this year, hard to find one that I don’t have a reaction to!

reeksy

We get lots of ticks where I live in Queensland. The best prevention we’ve found is actually made in the UK from “lemon eucalyptus”

https://www.mosi-guard.com/

We buy the roll on stick in batches as we keep it in the cars, riding bags etc.

I actually have a shirt that smells of it even after being washed.

mudfish

Greatbeardedone – I’m not sure about leggings doing much good. My infected pal wears them and still found a tick inside them on his thigh. Tenacious little buggers.

mudfish

Reluctantjumper. I suggest try Smidge. There’s also some strong stuff you can spray on clothes. Lasts a few washes.

As the clocks are about to change I’ll soon be wearing my beige Nukeproof pants to I can spot em before I transfer them to the car. Some sites say they can live a long time awaiting a host!

mudfish

Spotted near Warminster by my infected pal

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11.57.55

highlandman
    Free Member

Either two species, or two generations of the same species.  That’s an interesting collection!

corroded
    Free Member

Argh, that’s horrible. I’m anticipating an awful year for ticks in my part of the country (the South Downs), thanks to the warm winter. I no longer hike or camp in grass.

Question for the Australian residents: do ticks in Australia carry Lyme disease? I know they carry other nasty things.

matt_outandabout

We have deer in the garden regularly now – which is why we have both had ticks from our own garden last year.

There are many reasons I want to shoot 75% of Scotland’s deer- roe and red.

bikesandboots

I’m sure there’d be something not too nasty you could spray your garden with. Heck if there were deer based insects in my garden I’d be considering shooting the deer, spraying the whole place with Agent Orange, and burning it with napalm.

Deer Ked, hate the buggers.

We could do the cull by shooting from a helicopter like they did in Australia for the camels.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.