• This topic has 70 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nixie.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Those spangly new Tech 4 E4 brakes
  • Big-Bud
    Free Member

@nixie yes gold plus the extra discount is still showing so there a bargain

metalheart
    Free Member

I also bought mine with the merlin gold discount plus a £20 points voucher

This would probably be my plan…

My hope adaptors are probably for 160-180 at the front (considering i trashed a SLX calliper trying use an adaptor on my first X-Fusion fork….🤦🏼‍♂️😓

Do they direct mount onto the fork (like the shimano does) for 180’s or do you need an adapter (L?).

teethgrinder

Depends on the fork. But if it’s a 180mm PM without an adaptor now it will be with an E4.

If you need an adaptor to run 200mm or 203mm now you will with an E4.

My Tech4 MC’s have turned up and they’re lush. Came with all the hose fittings as well

metalheart
    Free Member

Okay….. I think I’m getting there…

I have a 180 PM fork, an H adaptor (so either 160 – 183 or 180 – 203) for the front and a 183 black FR or a grey 203 FR.

And a B mount which will give me IS to 183 (for a black FR)…

So I don’t mind mix coloured floating rotors then I’m golden. Don’t think you can go 180PM to 183 so looks like I’d need a IS to 180 to keep SLX rotors… i.e. an N adaptor…

teethgrinder

You can put washers under a 180 PM at either end, or the PM end of an is-pm to make it 183. Same with 200mm and 203

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks teethgrinder. Much appreciated.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, they’ve arrived. The aesthetic is early Mono M4, but the best bit is that in each box I’ve a spare set of pads – I swapped the resin jobs for the sintered set supplied – and the spare olive & insert too. I know that both F&R hoses will need to be trimmed to fit, that’s a job for tomorrow.

dyna-ti

Well, they’ve arrived.

Sorry, is that the full set you’ve bought, not just the levers ?.

fathomer

@PJM1974 I don’t think there’s any sintered in the box. All 3 sets we have came with green race pads fitted and a spare set of organics. Sintered are gold backed.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As above, the E4 comes with race pads fitted and organic in the box. The V4 comes with an extra set of sintered as well as the race and organic.

nixie

Mine are stuck in RM somewhere due to the strikes. Sold the e4/x2 combo for £250ish (brakes only).

metalheart
    Free Member

Couple more questions:
    A) are people needing to bleed after chopping hoses?
    B) anybody used Rush Cycles (they popped up on google for Tech 4 bleed kits and and appear to have full range of brakes at a reasonable price)?

Merlin currently out of stock for E4 in black or decent colour… but have V4’s… 🤔

riklegge

@metalheart no, I didn’t need to bleed on any of the hose shortening I’ve done (tech 4 E4 front and back, plus tech 4 V4 front and back).

metalheart
    Free Member

@riklegge cheers, its been my experience that (mostly) hose shortening without bleeding leads to better results (on Shimano)… 🤷🏻‍♀️

rootes1

@metalheart

used a few times now, mainly for Galfer pads. Nice quick service.

metalheart
    Free Member

@rootes1 thanks, good to know. I’ll see how things sit in a weeks time, maybe give them a phone…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If you want black V4 or M4 on tech4 master cylinder, I can beat that rush price. 1 set only. PM for info.

kimbers

Yup I’ve also used Rush for galfer and hope stuff, seen great

PJM1974
    Free Member

@PJM1974 I don’t think there’s any sintered in the box. All 3 sets we have came with green race pads fitted and a spare set of organics. Sintered are gold backed.

I stand corrected, these are Hope’s red pads. Both ends have had a pad swap, will save the race jobbies for the summer.

Sorry, is that the full set you’ve bought, not just the levers ?.

Thanks @dyna-ti – I did buy a full set of levers and calipers.

This weekend has been a bit of a ‘mare – thus far I’ve only fitted the front brake. Thankfully, clipping off the excess cable and fitting a new olive and connector was a breeze. Next job is going to involve me routing the hose through my frame and seeing if I can find a spare SRAM shifter mount for my dropper post. I’m looking forward to getting these bedded in and trying them out.

Oh and the purple ano accents (and banjos too!) are bob on.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Three lunchtime rides in on the red pads and I can safely say that I’m impressed. It’s slippery out right now, so I’ve not tested outright braking power, but the modulation is sensitive and there’s plenty of feel. One finger braking is quite intuitive with these.

dyna-ti

How did you get on with bleeding it ?. assuming you’ve dont a top up bleed after cutting it.

Im filling mine from completely empty, but the lever feels spongy. That said ive heard it doesnt feel as positive off the bat till the pads contact the rotor, then it feels normal. Any experience there you’d care to share ?.

metalheart
    Free Member

For those with Merlin Gold they are currently 15% off with an additional 10% at checkout.

That (coupled with a £20 reward points voucher) I’ve just ordered a set of E4’s for just under £280.

nixie

Damn that’s cheap! Not in stock in orange so don’t feel I’ve missed out.

northernremedy

Bought the bleed kit to do mine. Fantastic. Watch the video and it couldn’t be easier.

escrs
    Free Member

Just bought a set of Tech 4 V4’s to replace my Tech 3 V4’s (now residing on another bike)

Paid £200 for each brake from Wiggle with my gold level discount, ordered and delivered in less than 24hrs (have a Wiggle+ account)

Hopefully ill get round to fitting them this weekend

Mine came fitted with the green race pads, in the box was a set of red organic pads and a set of the purple e bike pads, been using the purple e bike pads for a year or so now on the old Tech 3 V4’s and they are really good

Also running Hope V4 vented rotors, 203mm front and rear, so braking should be spot on

metalheart
    Free Member

Not in stock in orange so don’t feel I’ve missed out

I have email stock alerts for orange and black for E4’s (and orange for V4’s). I decided I’d take my 2nd preference when the email came in telling me the LH E4 black was back in stock and I could make a matched set. Wait for orange to come (and miss the extra 10%?) or for the LH to go out stock again… I checked after I ordered and it already was…

When do Hope usually raise their prices? I got caught out like that before, waiting for a better discount level and finding they had gone up by more than the extra %age off by the time it had kicked in.

escrs
    Free Member

So just went to fit mine and run into a couple of issues

Issue number one is that Hope have changed the shifter/dropper fitting on the Tech 4 lever so my Wolthtooth dropper lever no longer fits and it seems Wolthtooth havent made a new adaptor for the Tech 4 lever yet

Issue number 2 is that as Hope have made the lever’s top cap longer, so my Tech 3 Hope bleed kit’s top cap wont fit, will have to order a tech 4 bleed cap for £8 (or just keep topping up the resivior whislt bleeding)

Bit annoying that Hope havent advertised these changes as far as i can see online

nixie

To be fair every generation of hope master cylinder has a different top cap and it’s pretty obvious in the pictures.

The first point isn’t hopes fault. They do not advertise the brake as support ispec a (or b it whatever) like the tech 3 did.

simondbarnes

When do Hope usually raise their prices?

They often stay the same for absolutely ages. However, they have price rises on Jan 1st

metalheart
    Free Member

They often stay the same for absolutely ages. However, they have price rises on Jan 1st

I thought that might be the case (what with inflation running 10+%).

Feel happier about going for black, rather than risking waiting for orange…🤪

nixie

I’ve fitted mine now. Had to do a full bleed on the rear and I stupidly forgot to extend the pistons before cutting the hose 🤪. Felt good on the garden test but yet to ride properly.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.