• This topic has 70 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nixie.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Those spangly new Tech 4 E4 brakes
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Am usure as to whether I gel with the levers or the aesthetics, but the deal maker for me is the brake’s modulation and being able to haul a big old biffer (me) to a stop.

Before I spaff a slightly unjustifiable amount of cash on a pair, has anyone had a chance to run these back to back with the old Tech 3 four pots? Or a set of SRAM Codes?

Also, purple ano accents are still cool, right?

crossed

Also, purple ano accents are still cool, right?

Was there ever a time when they weren’t?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They’re a significant improvement on the Tech3 4 pot. I’m a 95kg lump on an eBike and working just great.

Stealth Ad. If anyone is after a BNIB Tech 4 with a V4 caliper RHS and a LH Tech4 E4 in boring old black, message me.

sillyoldman

Was there ever a time when they weren’t?

Yes. Since time began.

northernremedy

Huge improvement over codes and the tech 3’s. They’re brilliant.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yes. Since time began.

It’s a good job that they don’t do Rasta-ano.

sillyoldman

Or oil slick

dyna-ti

Buy them. But stick with black.

I remember an interview at hope where they said that black was the more robust anodized medium compared to the others.

Light green or team green as everyone knows fades very quickly, red fades to a not so nice pink and the bright sharp blue dulls down.Orange seems to last well, as does purple.

So black as the base and ano master cylinder lids and caliper bore caps. Adjusters in the chosen ano also are a better deal than a complete lever which is prone to wear and from falling off. Plus having the base black means you can change the coloured accents as the mood takes.

Comparing the two levers, they’ve done away with the tiny circlip on the T3 lever pivot for a nut on the T4 pivot, but its still a pain in the arse getting the tiny c clips off the adjusters.

ta11pau1

I’ve gone from tech 3 to tech 4 with the v4 calipers, so not exactly the same – but yes they’re a very decent upgrade. Power has gone from ‘being there, but hidden deep in the lever travel requiring a big squeeze to access’ to ‘anything more than the lightest of squeezes and you’ve got all the power you could ever need’.

Tbh if you want oodles of power with loads of modulation, just get the V4, skip the E4.

fathomer

They’re a big step up from the Tech 3, slightly more initial bite and a lot more power overall but still loads of modulation. I had two sets of Tech 3 E4s that became two sets of Tech 4s as the Tech 3s felt terrible in comparison!

teethgrinder

Tech3 calipers with the hybrid ss/phenolic pistons is an improvement in itself.

igm

Riding T4X2 against T3E4 the former is more powerful in both my and my 16 year old’s opinion.

So I’d guess the T4E4 is even more power.

jimmy748

I’d try the new pads in the T3’s first, they are a very significant part of the power upgrade.

riklegge

I’ve had T3 E4 previously, and recently went from T4 E4 to T4 V4.
    As others have said, the T4 is much better. And if you want power it’s worth the relatively small additional outlay for the V4 caliper.

thered

I went straight from Tech 3 to Tech 4 on my Trek and the difference is startling.
    Went from struggling to stop to nice and bitey

kimbers

T4s are really nice to use, very light lever action for tons of power, especially compared to tech3s

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Interestingly at hardline chatting to Brayton he had E4 tech 4 not v4 and I said i thought you’d need v4,s and his answer was hope had told him to run E4 as they had more power initially in the stroke than the different piston sized v4 which had more overall power but was more akin to needing more on lever pull for an power .

Big-Bud
    Free Member

@PJM1974 I got a pair in purple from a seller on eBay for a right deal . couldn’t be happier there miles ahead of the tech3

mboy
    Free Member

Interestingly at hardline chatting to Brayton he had E4 tech 4 not v4 and I said i thought you’d need v4,s and his answer was hope had told him to run E4 as they had more power initially in the stroke than the different piston sized v4 which had more overall power but was more akin to needing more on lever pull for an power .

The V4 caliper with its different sized pistons equates to a greater mechanical advantage at the lever basically, but for a tiny bit more lever travel and a softer feeling lever… The way to deal with this is typically to run a braided hose and a harder pad compound on the V4 for a similar feel, but more power in reserve…

J273
    Free Member

Has anyone found any decent deals on these?

sharkattack

I was just about to ask that ^

What’s the going rate for a front and rear Tech 4 E4?

nixie

Brake only £175 can be found using your favourite search engine.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They’ve not long been released and were taking a while to come through. £175 an end is about as cheap as you’ll see them at mo. Hope never discount anything as they sell everything they can make, so any discounts you’ll see are the retailers taking a haircut on the price.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The only retailer I could find offering them at £175 per unit is my LBS.

My frame has internal routing, so I’m hopeful that the brakes will arrive with a spare connector as I’ll need to cut the hose and feed it through my frame. I’m considering booking my bike in to have the rear brake fitted and bled – I don’t have any spare 5.1 fluid to rebleed it unfortunately.

chestrockwell

Yes. Since time began.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

teethgrinder

Dot4 will do. Even petrol stations sell that

riklegge

My frame has internal routing, so I’m hopeful that the brakes will arrive with a spare connector as I’ll need to cut the hose and feed it through my frame. I’m considering booking my bike in to have the rear brake fitted and bled – I don’t have any spare 5.1 fluid to rebleed it unfortunately.

FWIW all the tech 4 brakes I’ve bought have included a spare barb, olive and washer. I cut my rear brakes to thread through a frame and by being a bit careful (making sure to keep the lever the right way up and holding the hose to prevent leaking) I didn’t need to bleed at all.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

If you have Merlin discount there offering further discount a pair can be add for £280

nixie

@big-bud is that gold level?

nixie

Yesterday I look and silver discount was applying to hope brakes. Today they have added a 1% discount meaning the 10% no longer applies. grr.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They quickly realised they were loosing money. Smart.

nixie

Perhaps but the brakes are up at list price and did not seem to be under any extra discounting (other than loyalty).

metalheart
    Free Member

@nixie Merlin were running an extra 10% off 20 ‘big’ brands last week (were they not?). That will have stopped working early doors Monday as their promotion will have run its course (I got some shimano stuff myself).

The gold discount still works…

nixie

Didn’t think hope was in that promo. Yesterday loyalty discounts were showing, today they are not. I cannot find a single RRP product with the ‘medal’ loyalty indicator.

metalheart
    Free Member

Maybe your discount has run out, This happened to me a while back. Or you are just logged out?

I’m seeing gold discount (on Tech 4 brakes).

nixie

Odd. No not run out or logged out, just gone back up a level again actually. It shows in my account as active just not against products.

Edit, think I’ve worked it out. Something to do with being on WiFi. Wondering if it’s related to the geolocation of home up (shows as Holland rather than UK for some reason).

metalheart
    Free Member

Rather than start a new thread (as its Tech 4 related):

What discs are compatible with these E or V4’s?

Can i run shimano 180’s?

I have SLX atm and front mounts directly Odín to the (X-Fusion Trace36) fork and its a SolarisMAX so whatever type shimano converter is out back.

I think I have 203/183 discs I bought about 4 years ago when I got caught out thinking I’d get gold discount but by the time it got applied the RRP had gone up and they were suddenly going to cost more even with the extra discount. I got the adaptors to suit Tech 3 (?)s at the time…

What do I need (couldn’t make too much sense of the Hope website…🤪

metalheart
    Free Member

@nixie weird. I just went back up gold on Monday… Guess check with Merlin?

ETA: does it show if you add stuff to your basket?

nixie

No didn’t show in the basket either. It was working on work of yesterday while I was connected to a UK work VPN. Today on the normal ip it stopped. Toggling mobile on and off WiFi turns it on an off 🤪.

@metalheart
    hope do adapters for both 189, 183, 200 and 203. You should be ok to reuse your existing adapters and disks.

davros

Mine are happy with Shimano 180mm rotors and adapters.

I also bought mine with the merlin gold discount plus a £20 points voucher. Still not cheap!

Oh you can get an extra 4.25% off at merlin with topcashback.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.