• This topic has 49 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Thinking of getting a Heckler- please tell me good and bad about them
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just always fancied a Heckler really….

Main use Alp type holidays, uplift days, having fun on.

honourablegeorge

They size up small, they’re dead reliable, and they’ll do exactly what you describe above.

igm

Heckler? That’s the American version of the Five isn’t it.
    Well you’re unlikely to find any opinions on that sort of thing round here.

dantsw13

I’d say the Heckler is for exactly what you describe. Ive just spent a long weekend in the Alps with mine. It takes a 160 fork, has a bulletproof single pivot bearing, and loves going downhill.

It can be prone to bob if you mash the pedals, but its a 160 bike, FFS!!

[/url]
    Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

_tom_
    Free Member

^Nice 🙂 I’ve wanted a heckler for a while – had a Bullit and loved it but it was a bit too much bike for what I was riding. Heckler pretty much seems the same apart from shorter travel and lighter.

dantsw13

I had an old style Heckler last year with 150 Revs, and it was my main bike. This one has 160 Marz55’s, offset bushings and 1×9. It can climb when needed, but I am lucky it is a second bike for me.

Sanny
    Free Member

I had a first generation Heckler. The back end was several milimetres wider than my 135mm hub so had to get sent back and replaced. I rode the frame for just over three years until it cracked at the seat tube weld. Jungle sold me a replacement frame at a discount. It then broke in the same place. They then sold me a Superlight at a discount. It didn’t break but then I stopped riding it after two months when I bought a Turner and sold on the Superlight.

Jungle dealt with the problems but I never really felt the love for Santa Cruz bikes despite having owned three of them.

acidchunks

the old 26″ or the new fangled 27.5″ for 2014?

I love my 26″ 2013 Heckler but it’s my first FS so can’t compare it to anything other than my old hardtails. The bike seems to relish being thrown around and ridden hard, handles very well even with a 140mm Rev.

Only negative point I can think of is the paint work is made of cheese and scratches easily.

Furious

Here’s mine…

150 Revs, reverb and tubeless. Recently converted to 1×10. I live and ride in the dark peak. Its been to the Alps. Its been to trail centres (including Antur Stiniog). I love it.

Good things – bomb proof, even with crests. Likes going down. Makes me smile
    Bad things – can be a bit wandery on very steep climbs. Probably not the lightest, but then I’ve never weighed it or cared.

godzilla
    Free Member

A good bike, I bet the new Heckler is twice the bike, has that perched ok feel, was replaced by a Five that was a far better alpine weapon.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

was replaced by a Five that was a far better alpine weapon.

interesting, can you elaborate please?

chris36860
    Free Member

This is my 2011. Its now running 1×10, Orange Easton Havoc bars and stem, dropper post and bigger tyres. It rides up pretty well but the RP23 isn’t the best as it blows through its travel very easily. I’ve put a large lump of grease in the body of the shock and it makes a massive difference.

Took it to the Alps last year and again tomorrow for a week and its a joy to ride. It takes anything I can throw at it. I totally love the bike but my riding style is changing so looking at going to a Nomad when I get back.

You will not be disappointed in any way. It works really really well with the Fox 36 apart from on low gradient fast trails as the front is quite loose. I drop the forks down to 130mm on the Talas and it sorts the problem.
    [/url] santa cruz 003 by Aleks & Chris, on Flickr[/img]

Just do it!!!!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Good allround do-most-things-well-enough bike.
    Not owned one myself but a couple of riding buddies do. Pretty similar sort of thing to a Five I’d say.

If it’s primarily for uplifts & Alps, then it might be a little under-gunned but would cope (as would a Five)

godzilla
    Free Member

interesting, can you elaborate please?

Slacker stiffer and generally more robust feeling, I would deffo have another Heckler as a lite trail bike but IMHO its a poor an all mountain bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s like a 5 but priced properly for what it is, a simple full sus, nowt fancy just does a job.

160mm front slightly longer rear shock balanced it nicely. Never had any problem keeping up with people…

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Good fun bike, pivot kept coming loose and I sold it because it annoyed me. Short for fat American types.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can also post mine for a nice price 🙂 Blur LTc en route

nickc

how much are these bikes weighing (average?) I’m guessing north of 35lbs? Is that about right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mine on show above was 15kg/33lb
    2×9
    EX321’s
    Minions
    KS Post
    Marx AMSL’s
    NP Bars

Frame for sale

dantsw13

Mine is 32lbs

nickc

oh, OK, less than I thought. Could it be a “one bike” bike?

acidchunks

I’ve previously posted that mine weighed around 38lbs (bathroom scales) but after hanging the thing off a mates park tools scale it slimmed down to a more respectable 32lbs & 15oz.

That’s with a rev rl, am4/721 hoops, dh tubes, m4 tech brakes, 3×10 deore cranks and a Hilo. Not exactly the lightest build options.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes

DezB
    Free Member

I had a go on one and didn’t like the swingarm rubbing my calves. Well, not exactly “rubbing”, but came in contact fairly regularly.
    Might have changed them since then, but I preferred the Mk1 style (which was fab, but I couldn’t afford at the time).

Furious

oh, OK, less than I thought. Could it be a “one bike” bike?

It’s my “one bike”

D0NK

rebuilt my ’03 coil shock version at weekend, knocked out 40miles* on it tuesday night, grinning my tits off.

very very fun bike.

*biggest ride of the year so far – on a chunky, bobby, sticky tyred build too.

acidchunks

It’s my “one bike”

Same here, apart from the one I ride to work on but that doesn’t count, does it?

portlyone

Mine has a coil shock, lyriks and dual play tyres. It’s a little heavy but can still do a decent XC job (the limiting factor is the portly rider).

IMAG0261 by NazcaMan, on Flickr

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve had 4 or maybe 5 Hecklers, messed about with other stuff but never had anything else as good an all rounder.

Current one was bought 2nd hand and is a 2011/12, much nicer with a 1deg Works angleset fitted. Tried offset bushings but didnt like them as they slackerized the seat angle.

I got a cheap Kashima RP23 off CRC, much better than any other air shock I’ve had, virtually as good as the coil on previously. Got lucky with the compression / rebound tunes though- seemed about right out of the box.

All shown here apart from recent changes to Marz 55s & new back shocker.

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/scruff0372/album/bikes/

superfli
    Free Member

Chris36860 – do the shim mod (search for rp23 shim mod) to your RP23. Was the first thing I did to my Heckler when I got my frame. Makes a massive improvement to the shock.

Dantsw13 – did you get 2 offset bushings for your Heckler? I just bought 1 in an attempt to lower the BB a little, only ridden it once, but I might get a 2nd.

I have 160 vengeance on my Heckler, and onyl recently realised how high the BB is after test riding a few new trail bikes.

The pre ’12 Heckler is a little too steep for my liking. I had 150 revs on previously and always felt that it could be better on the downs being a little slacker. 160 forks beef it up considerably and match the stiffness of the rest of the bike, plus complement the 150 rear very well. I dont find it any trouble climbing. Also never suffered from pedal bob, but that might be how I pedal.

The 07-10 models had pinch bolts on teh swingarm and also thinner walls on the tubes around the pivot. Pinch bolts breaking were pretty common, and I also cracked the tube wall so had to get a replacement swingarm from Jungle. The newer design is a lot better. I would try and get a 10+ model.

Comfortable and good fun. It might not be the fastest bike out there for most of your general trail riding, but as a solid, simple, pretty reliable do it all, its not bad at all.

galactus
    Free Member

My much loved heckler tarted up (powder coated etc) before selling on 🙂
    Preferred the coil shock at the rear though

dantsw13

Superfli – yep, both bushings. I find they keep the bb down to offset the height of the 160 fork, as well as slackening the bike.

Scruff, I’m pretty sure the offset bushings steepen the seat tube angle?

scottfitz
    Free Member

superfli – Member
    Chris36860 – do the shim mod (search for rp23 shim mod) to your RP23. Was the first thing I did to my Heckler when I got my frame. Makes a massive improvement to the shock.

Dantsw13 – did you get 2 offset bushings for your Heckler? I just bought 1 in an attempt to lower the BB a little, only ridden it once, but I might get a 2nd.

I have 160 vengeance on my Heckler, and onyl recently realised how high the BB is after test riding a few new trail bikes.

The pre ’12 Heckler is a little too steep for my liking. I had 150 revs on previously and always felt that it could be better on the downs being a little slacker. 160 forks beef it up considerably and match the stiffness of the rest of the bike, plus complement the 150 rear very well. I dont find it any trouble climbing. Also never suffered from pedal bob, but that might be how I pedal.

The 07-10 models had pinch bolts on teh swingarm and also thinner walls on the tubes around the pivot. Pinch bolts breaking were pretty common, and I also cracked the tube wall so had to get a replacement swingarm from Jungle. The newer design is a lot better. I would try and get a 10+ model.

Comfortable and good fun. It might not be the fastest bike out there for most of your general trail riding, but as a solid, simple, pretty reliable do it all, its not bad at all. I love to two tone green paint job!!

scruff
    Free Member

dantsw13, mine didnt. Slackened the front end & seat angle off and dropped the BB. I’ll chuck em back on when I go t’Alps next though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think they’re a bit long in the tooth now. Ideal for people who wished they could afford an Orange Five but can’t. If you’re going second hand and want a single pivot bike, try a cannondale prophet (or get a five!)

nacho
    Free Member

Ooh a Heckler love in! I have a 2009 w/ 140 revs, reverb, coil DHX4. Recently fitted a Works 1deg head angle which has helped for the downs.
    It’s my everyday bike in the summer and I love it. (Have a HT as well)
    Tested a Marin, Orange5 and a couple of others when I bought it.
    Reliable, fun, and complements my rubbish skillz. Think it’s about 31Lb and was perfect for the Spanish rock gardens with Switchbacks.
    If the new 650b is a noticeable improvement (and I can save enough pennies) then I will be upgrading next summer.
    My only complaint could be a strike the pedals quite often and a little bit of pedal bob but I clear technical climbs better than I do on the HT which is around 4lbs lighter.

Speeder

Didn’t like mine at all – I bought a 2010 version 2nd hand and kept it for 6 months or so before getting rid. I’ll concur with most of the negative comments and try to think of something positive about it.

Negatives
    Short – 1-1.5″ shorter front end than it ought to have for the size -guess it’s designed around a 100mm stem
    Steep – Tried slackening mine off with offset bushes but didn’t help enough
    No support in suspension – the oft mentioned hole in the travel – it can be fixed and it’s probably the RP23 more than anything but it was unnerving to ride
    Wide rear end – catching heels every now and again – no damage but it gets a little annoying
    High BB – Even if it’s actually not they just look like it been jacked up a bit in the middle
    Heavy – 7+lbs for a very simple trail bike frame is a bit porky

Plusses

It didn’t break.

Errrrr . . . . . . they’re cheap(ish)

Sorry but I couldn’t recommend anyone bought one but as is shown above there are lots of people that think they’re great.

julianwilson
    Free Member

igm – Member

Heckler? That’s the American and less expensive version of the Five isn’t it. fify 😀

In fact I think it would still have been signficantly less than a 5/sub5 when they were welded in USA then shipped here and Jungle Tax applied (and cost a little more than the taiwanese versions iirc) then shipped here and import and ‘Jungle Tax’ applied.

-If you get a new one in the UK you get free pivot bearings for life. Only £15 a set for the hecler but every little helps…
    -they look nice, almost round tubes and everything!
    -iscg 05 tabs on new ones.
    -30.9 seat tube for droppers
    -newest ones have tapered headtube for unnecessarily-sized fork steerers.
    -I think they are fun. Others think they are to high up (esp compared to a five) Both the five and the heckler are also ubiquitous enough that chances are someone near you ought to have one in your size you could have a go on.

But yes the sizing on sc’s is interesting: pay attention to top tube lengths. (I have ’05 vintage small size yeti and a large size sc, both have same seat and top tube lengths, go figure!)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ideal for people who wished they could afford an Orange Five but can’t.

Funniest thing I’ve heard in ages…..

But yeah, Quality trolling, right there… 🙄

_tom_
    Free Member

Steep? 68 degrees ish head angle which is spot on for a versatile bike, slacker does not (always) equal more fun, quite the opposite in fact!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of getting a Heckler- please tell me good and bad about them’ is closed to new replies.