• This topic has 49 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Thinking of getting a Heckler- please tell me good and bad about them
  • igm

Given I just weighted my Alpine 160 at 33.5 lbs, including Reverb, Fox 36 Talas, 3×10 drivetrain and flat pedals, those Heckler weights seem quite high.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve never had one, but have always had a soft spot for the Heckler probably because I used to lust after the Team MBUK downhill bikes a long, long time ago.

They’ve always struck me a pretty good bikes, never the lightest or most cutting edge but good solid bikes.

My big issue with SC is the sizing – the top tubes seem to be ridiculously short.

There’s a strong second hand market so you may as well try one. If you don’t like it, I doubt you’ll have any issues selling it on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ideal for people who wished they could afford an Orange Five but can’t.

ah bless, maybe it’s the price an Orange should be?

_tom_
    Free Member

My big issue with SC is the sizing – the top tubes seem to be ridiculously short.

This is why I like them. Seem like they’re made for fun rather than all out efficiency or whatever. Both the Bullit I had and the Chameleon I have now are probably the most playful and fun bikes I’ve ridden. It’s a toss up between the cham and my old blender anyway.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Loving that 68 degrees is steep lol

Bagstard
    Free Member

I think it is the combination of short top tube and 68 degree head angle, although I’m sure my 2006 was69 degrees! I really didn’t like it on anything steep downhill.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep I literally have no idea how I can ride it, the bike screams last year so much.

Edit# also add in the inconsistency of measuring quoted angles, the range of for lengths available and the range of A2C measurements for forks of even the same length…

mtbscoop
    Free Member

I brought a new Heckler in 2004 and have changed pretty much everything on it apart from the frame. Love it. Tried various other bikes, when I get the new bike itch, but nothing seems to have that “fun” factor. Easy to maintain as well.

Current setup is 32.5 lbs, and use it for everything, including 24hr races! Get a coil shock though and I also have 140mm Van32 up front.

mtbscoop
    Free Member

Pic of my Heckler

[/url] photo (14) by pug_b70, on Flickr[/img]

D0NK

Ideal for people who wished they could afford an Orange Five

chuckles, you’re funny. Virtually the same bike but orange cost 50% more* True I wouldn’t mind being able to spaff even more money on bikes but between those two I’m never going to opt for orange prices no matter how minted I am.

Admittedly SC do stupid price bikes aswell.

Another 47 damp miles in the bag for my heckler yesterday 😉

*Not seen the 27.5ified heckler prices so dunno if things have changed.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of getting a Heckler- please tell me good and bad about them’ is closed to new replies.