Home Forums Chat Forum Theft by Ticketmaster

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Theft by Ticketmaster
  • sc-xc

(Added extra post as forum glitched for me when submitting the last one)

Cougar

Big events routinely crash their site- not just that one event but the whole site. There’s absolutely no meaningful queueing or attempt to mitigate that.

There was a time I would argue that you don’t scale your systems according to atypical demand.  Like, when the mobile network used to melt at 11:55pm every New Year’s Eve – it would be stupid to build infrastructure to cope with that and have 80% of it dormant for the rest of the year.

But that was then.  Today, cloud computing enables entities to spin servers up and down based on demand.  It’s perfectly plausible to have multiple servers automatically power up to react to load and then shut down again to save money.  With Ticketbastard it’s either incompetence or wilful obstinance.

shinton
    Free Member

But that was then.  Today, cloud computing enables entities to spin servers up and down based on demand.  It’s perfectly plausible to have multiple servers automatically power up to react to load and then shut down again to save money.  With Ticketbastard it’s either incompetence or wilful obstinance.

I agree in principle that Cloud gives you the ability to auto-scale on demand but when 14 million people are trying to get tickets that load must even stretch things to breaking point.  However, TM know the tickets will sell come what may so why spend money spinning up expensive resources so obstinance is my bet.

MSP

or is part of the sales strategy, especially for dynamic pricing. If you just go onto TM add the tickets to the basket and are straight through to complete the transaction within a minute (which is all it should take) you are more likely to baulk at the cost and not buy. If you have already committed yourself to hours of trying to just get to add the tickets into the basket you are much more likely to accept the overpriced ticket and gouging additional costs.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

^^^ Very much this.  Make them wait, make them pay.

dafydd17
    Free Member

I don’t think obstinance is a word…Obstinacy, perhaps?

scuttler

There was a time I would argue that you don’t scale your systems according to atypical demand.

Bookies would for the Grand National

HMRC wouldn’t for Self Assessment deadline

Cos ££££££

vlad_the_invader

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj04y6y0316o

Oasis “ditch dynamic pricing” for North American leg of tour but are still using Ticketmaster…

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.