Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • The wind this year…
  • mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Yeah I noticed some quite long periods with a north easterly through spring. And just generally quite a lot of wind this year.

Also, sat up the top of Leith Hill sunday. I know it’s fairly high up but nearly being blown off my perch multiple times in a gale on a dry sunny summer day with my sandwich steadily accumulating dust seemed odd.

MoreCashThanDash

Does seem odd having food uneaten that accumulates dust….

slowoldman

Great feeling when you get a perfect tailwind though, was doing 28mph with Zone 1 HR on Saturday’s ride, which is not a combo you often see…

I must have been going in the opposite direction.

slowoldman

You’d better get used to it, as the world heats up the wind will increase.

Could be the end of the World.

Caher

I see the mad wind is back, just in time for my weekend pedalling.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Second day off on the spin where winds are 20-30mph, looks like it might be another turbo day, while tomorrow is wet after work so I won’t pop out then.

Please, just give me some dry calm days at 15-20C to head up Butser, Milland and Harting hills! 🙁

garage-dweller

@nobody think you’re probably not far from me. Bit blustery here. Supposed to run into next week. Dam nuisance.

MoreCashThanDash

Yep, another wet and windy ride this Sunday by the looks of things

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Can’t say I noticed it any windier, tend not to notice it when you live on the coast in Cornwall as it’s always windy!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Windy again in South London. Sunny enough between clouds dashing over, but wind is rattling the house.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve noticed it’s been more windy this year, mostly because I’m mildly phobic of gusty/high winds and it causes me anxiety 🙁

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@nobody think you’re probably not far from me. Bit blustery here. Supposed to run into next week. Dam nuisance.

Bitterne SO18, good hills are worth cycling to.

Another day off, another gusty day, approx 17-33mph westerly expected all day… Might be quicker to use an e-bike coming back home! 😆

ahsat

Windy days such as today as just weather with a strong gradient between two pressure systems. As said above, climate change will increase that as the intensity of pressure systems will likely grow.

However, there is also a link between phases of the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), which is measured by the difference in pressure between Iceland and the Azores. This fluctuates on season-yearly basis and positive NAO index (the red bits in this graph) results in warm, wet and windy weather in Northern Europe, which resulted in all those storms we had this winter. We are in a negative phase at moment, which results in generally the opposite. So you will see extended periods of windy v calmer weather driven by this climate phenomenon.

eyestwice
    Free Member

How windy is too windy for most people when riding off-road?

somafunk

When the ground around softwood trees starts to lift up, time to leave

bigjim

wind farms = deep state wind making machines controlled by greta and 5G and the illuminati doncha know

kerley
    Free Member

Another day off, another gusty day, approx 17-33mph westerly expected all day… Might be quicker to use an e-bike coming back home!

Would have been for me this morning. A struggle for last 10 miles. I picked a bad month to increase my gearing by 4 inches.

theotherjonv

Hey then ventologists….. if wind is the movement of air in patterns around areas of low or high pressure, what makes it so gusty currently then? I’ve just chased a table cloth across the garden, 5 minutes later the fabric of my event shelter is motionless?

Daffy

Currently gusting at 80kph here at the exposed border between South Gloucester and Wiltshire. 🙁

There are very few days when the wind is below 20kph – I can think of only 3 rides so far this year and I tend to ride 3-5 times per week.

footflaps

I picked a bad month to increase my gearing by 4 inches.

I swapped my chainset for a sub-compact one this year, with lockdown and solo riding just don’t need the big gears you use when you’re in a fast group pace-line etc. Only time I top 30mph now is on the odd downhill.

grtdkad

Very unusual to have such a prolonged period of high winds (but winter was unusually windy too), keeps National Grid busy balancing the system – which keeps me in work(!)

Those big Fans are currently producing 11,500MWs of power !! http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Joe

Just came back on this thread – it’s been bonkers this weekend !

Caher

Still windy – 2 storms in 5 days. Has someone broken the jetstream?

DezB
    Free Member

to be fair we have had some lovely, non windy weather lately.
    This lot just waited til I was on leave 🙁

BlobOnAStick

Hmmm. Looking at the Silver Birch in my garden and pondering on whether it should become firewood before it becomes wrecking ball.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m struggling to remember when I last went out in ~45mph gust winds up on to the Old Winchester Hill ridge heading towards Butser Hill, sure I’ve done it a few times in the last few years, but a silly part of me has wanted to head out that way all afternoon… Even though the turning point could have crazy crosswinds and the headwind home would be brutal.

Generally, the weather this year in Hampshire has been carp (windy, rainy or both) so often when my health has not been bad enough to warrant time off the bikes. Ironically, both periods I’ve not felt so clever, the weather hasn’t been too bad (besides being heatwave hot).

molgrips
    Free Member

Has someone broken the jetstream?

Yes, we all did…

CountZero

Ah…….since records began. But when did the records begin?

Depends, some go back to the 19th Century, I believe.

From the Met Office:

Summary
    Monthly Historical information for 37 UK Meteorological Stations. Most go back to the early 1900s, but some go back as far as 1853.

Data includes:

Mean maximum temperature (tmax)
    Mean minimum temperature (tmin)
    Days of air frost (af)
    Total rainfall (rain)
    Total sunshine duration (sun)

Some more historical wind stories:

Looking back on Scotland’s strongest winds and deadliest storms

Personally, I don’t think this year has been particularly windy, I work outdoors all day, and from the New Year to the end of March it didn’t seem much windier than usual, and during lockdown the weather was particularly benign, for which I’m particularly grateful, being able to sit outside and read in warm sunshine.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘The wind this year…’ is closed to new replies.