Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • The wind this year…
  • Joe

Wow. Is it me or has it been really really windy this year? I’ve never spent so much time in the south-east as this year, but since spring (…and apart from the few really hot calm days we’ve had) there has consistently been really really blowy weather (…even when it’s been very clear). I’ve really noticed it whilst out on the road bike.

Am i imagining it? What is causing it?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Agreed, I’ve been noticing it over the last several years – we now seem to get the kind of wind at this time of year that we didn’t used to get until Autumn. It feels like Autumn out there now and it’s not just cos it’s a bit cloudy and a bit rainy, it’s because of the wind.

I’m putting it down to global warming and the general messing-up of weather patterns.

dissonance

I dont think it has really stood out.
    Have had some heavy gusts with the change in weather fronts especially when it was thinking about thunder.
    When you say time in the SE where do you normally spend it since whilst the SE isnt overly windy it is more so compared to some locations.

richardkennerley

I was wondering about this as well. I feel like I’ve only been out once or twice this year and not grumbled about the constant head wind! Even on the hottest day last week it was still blowing a bloody gale.

mjsmke

What is causing it?

Lockdown means more people at home eating baked beans.

Caher

Yep it seems a lot more windy than usual. Most of our group rides have planned around wind direction.

robbo1234biking

Did my first bike commute this morning for 3 months as had to be in the office briefly. Forgot how much the wind seems to affect you on the bike! Def don’t get wind on my zwift commutes!

gobuchul
    Free Member

I bought a drone in January and have noticed just how windy it has been all year.

Up in the NE, it has hardly dropped below 15 – 20 mph.

Seems really windy.

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, definitely windier over last few years. Climate Change would be my guess…

MoreCashThanDash

Thought it was just me – agree seems way more of my rides have comments about strong winds than usual. I do seem to have adjusted to it, stopped trying to fight it and just spin into headwinds, take advantage of tailwinds.

Seeing more trees damaged than usual for this time as year as well, I don’t know if the soaking wet winter weakened them.

40mph gusts are still the limit of my comfort zone, was forecast around that yesterday and changed my route to avoid a busy road and HGVs.

supernova

Definitely seems to be more trees down in the woods over the past few years, but we do like to see patterns where there’s just coincidences.

Should bode well for building more wind turbines though, especially if it is an unseen consequence of global warming.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, very windy. When the trails were dry I just rode in the woods, no loss, but now it’s just annoying.

footflaps

Great feeling when you get a perfect tailwind though, was doing 28mph with Zone 1 HR on Saturday’s ride, which is not a combo you often see…

kula72
    Free Member

Really windy days seem rare here (peaks). I’m riding 4 times a week and can’t think of many times I’ve had a strong headwind to cope with. My house is surrounded by tree’s too so I notice it.

Stats seem to suggest it’s stable too: https://www.statista.com/statistics/322785/average-wind-speed-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

Was blustery yesterday when out walking.

tomd
    Free Member

Been brutally windy this year in the North East. We’ve had loads of days in May / June with 45+mph gusts. You can see out the woods a fair number of large oak branches down as well. They’ve just been battered whilst in leaf.

Not to mention late winter and spring, which were also very windy.

zilog6128

Yeah it’s mental, bought a little drone just before chrimbo last year and still haven’t used it outside that much as it’s been blowing a gale most weekends since!

sirromj

Beware the KOM hunters!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yep, been very windy here in Manchester. As you say, not just when it’s wet and pissy, but also even when it’s sunny. Very strange

Twodogs

as a windsurfer, I’m not complaining. had a nice wavesailing session before work this morning 🙂

singletrackmind

Yep i did the same on Saturday morning. Then smashed a 4 hr session sunday
    It has been a windy may and une for sure, and sunny and warm mostly.

white101

I don’t think it’s never not windy here in the NE, at least it seems that way.

So windy recently though I actually picked up a couple of the gold cups on strava on the road bike, an belter of a tailwind. However I put my good fortune down to expert route planning!

DezB
    Free Member

Bloody awful on the days that it is windy. Seems to be either NOT WINDY or **** WINDY nothing in between!
    Worst thing is doing a jump and that there wind blowing a nice gust as you take off and you land on your shoulder instead of your bike and spend the next 6 months suffering for your stupidity (a perfect 3 months into that time at the mo).

cheers_drive

It’s very windy today, although I don’t think this year has been particularly windy compared with last year which was ridiculous. Mind you it’s always windy in the flatlands.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It does feel like it’s been either windy, rainy or super scorching this year around Southampton.

Very few nice days 15-20C.

It feels like a lot of the worst weather has been on my days off or annual leave… Still got loads of my local hills I’ve yet to climb for the first time this year, including Harvesting Lane.

And the end of June is upon us. 🙁

DrP

Try living in Worthing… literally where wind is born..!

Towards the end of 2019 it felt like there was CONSTANT wind for about 5 months. Non bloody stop.
    In fact, even into early 202 it continued.
    Did the brighton half marathon in PROPER gale forces…

It’s getting boring now

DrP

jonesyboy

It’s because Wales is in lockdown and I can’t go windsurfing do to the smackdown..

nickc

Wow. Is it me or has it been really really windy this year?

Glad it’s not just me! Has felt like it this year, but after a while it probably just feels like conformation bias

somafunk

You’d better get used to it, as the world heats up the wind will increase.

Link to scientific american article

finbar
    Free Member

Yes. More energy (heat) within the atmosphere = more wind. It’s only going to get stronger.

Joe

Interesting- i had never thought about that relationship.

roverpig

Yes, I’ve been wondering about that recently too. Not sure whether I’m just forgetting how things used to be or whether the fact that I’m doing more gravel/road rides means I notice it more, but I can’t remember it being this bad before. I tried to find some data on this, but couldn’t find anything specific to NE Scotland.

The fact that every hill up here has its wind turbine would suggest that it’s always been pretty windy, but it does seem to be getting worse.

Twodogs

It’s because Wales is in lockdown and I can’t go windsurfing

you can if you live within approx 5 miles of a windsurfing spot, like Gower 🙂

ElShalimo

Some years are windier than others. It’s too easy to point the finger at Climate Change at everything which is a bit different. You also need to look at the observations of the Jetstream position this year versus other years too.

And remember we live on a very big rock in the northern Atlantic. We have a mild maritime climate.<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> Its always windy here. Look at the wind potential maps for the UK to see how windy it is without even factoring in CC.</span>

MrOvershoot

Well to buck the trend here in the North West I would say it’s been less windy than previous years, our workshop faces straight onto the Mersey and the Irish sea and when it blows here bits of the building fall off and the roller shutter doors onto the shop rattle like Ernie’s ghostly gold tops.
    Perhaps it’s because I have been working all the way through this situation and have not had the time or inclination to ride my bike, so maybe those that say it’s been windier have had time to ride their bikes?

ransos
    Free Member

I manage renewables so have a keen interest in the weather. February was the windiest month we’ve ever recorded and May was the sunniest.

ElShalimo

Ah…….since records began. But when did the records begin?

😉

You’ll have a wind potential map to hand then. Can you post it to show just how windy these islands are?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Seems normal mix to me. Have had some beautifully still days recently.

garage-dweller

I’m pretty focussed on the wind (enthusiastic dinghy sailor) and I’m always watching it for a chance to get afloat and for my eldest son who is slowly progressing up the wind range.

Certainly first three months was really blustery, and there’s a good 25-30knots been blowing for a few days. Before that we’ve had several relatively gentle weeks and weekends since about mid May.

Late 2019 was the same albeit a bit feast or famine. Loads of drifters and few “stay in the bar” days.

Iirc early 2020 there was an odd weather phenomenon where the strong winds were stuck in a cycle of air being pulled from somewhere or other…

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say it’s been less windy than previous years, our workshop faces straight onto the Mersey and the Irish sea

An unusual amount of easterly wind, I reckon, so you might not’ve felt it as much at work.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘The wind this year…’ is closed to new replies.