Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • grum
    Free Member

Not been to Andorra in winter but it wasn’t as cheap as I was expecting when I went there for the bike parks in summer. I always bang on about it but Austria is best for value IMO, especially away from the more famous resorts.

It would appear it’s absolutely dumping this week in Grimentz – hopefuly still some pow pow for my touring/off piste course in a few weeks.

hammerite
    Free Member

Duane – where in Andorra were you thinking? Not been to Arinsal, it always comes up on TO searches as pretty cheap to get to and stay. The area is quite small if you like to travel about.

I have skied Grandvalira though. We had a good time there. The area is reasonably big, so you can get about. Not a huge amount of really challenging runs. Agree with Grum about the cost of things while there, we didn’t notice it being particularly cheap to eat and drink. Certainly cheaper than France though. Food on the mountain wasn’t great quality.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/R7YaukMmDhs[/video]

40cm of powder on Friday afternoon/evening, so Saturday was a mega day. Super busy with all the new snow and being a long weekend too, but it was a great day regardless. Huge queues for the lifts meant only 1 alpine lap but the tree skiing lower down the mountain was all time.

igm

Sadly ditch the flows, incredibly difficult to get back into them if riding off piste

Modern Flows have ratchets as well as the drop back, so you can use the just like a ratchet strap binding. And the back clicks into position before anyone asks about that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Let me just have a read back through the thread…I’m surprised that’s not been mentioned already igm? 😀

(Or in other words, you could be sayin’ it all day…)

igm

Indeed

Kahurangi

deadlydarcy – I can vouch for Freesole as a good alternative to Shoe Goo. It’s not a contact adhesive, it’s a PU mix that you just squirt in and around, spread it all over then strap it up to bring the surfaces together and allow it to cure.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers JT. Sounds much easier given the profile of the sole. Will check it out.

willard

I know that the technology is controversial and it’s already injured one skier, but this is a pretty awesome way to film yourself and, if doing awesome stuff, better than shaky headcam footage.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Skoun_wXno[/video]

colp

DD, same thing happened to my Vans Aura using Flows. I can confirm that Bostic doesn’t work.
    As said above, new flows work both ways, loving my NX2s.

Duane…
    Free Member

Regarding Austria, yep in Arinsal, and I’d be staying at a friend’s place, so accommodation and food would be cheap!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    hammerite
    Free Member

If it’s cheap staying at a mate’s then go for it. Even though the area is relatively small it’s supposed to be a lovely place.

dashed
    Free Member

Willard – nicely filmed but I couldn’t bear to watch it as the skiing was so awful!! I guess that’s the danger – everyone thinks they’re a pro and youtube will be awash with crap drone clips (to go with the crap gopro clips!) 😉

Quite excited – off to Japan in the morning!! Yay!

jam-bo

nicely filmed but I couldn’t bear to watch it as the skiing was so awful!! I guess that’s the danger – everyone thinks they’re a pro and youtube will be awash with crap drone

DC-rainmaker is a triathlete, what do you expect 😉

piemonster

@dashed

You git!

Enjoy 😀

I don’t think there’s any danger in going skiing again this season. I appear to have just sold a house and have a rather urgent need to buy a new one.

momo

I’m getting excited now, heading out to Sauze on Sunday morning. Board is freshly waxed and I’ve got some new boots since last year, just a day and a half of work left to endure!

grum
    Free Member

Sauze should be good now – there was a little dump when we left and lots more forecast.

Conditions on Raise and in the back corries on Aonach Mor looking really good at the moment. Might try and get up to Scotland next week if it’s still there.

Can’t bloody wait for Grimentz in March though – 125cm predicted for the next 9 days including about 80cm in two days at the top of the mountain, let’s hope it keeps coming!!

toby1

nicely filmed but I couldn’t bear to watch it as the skiing was so awful!! I guess that’s the danger – everyone thinks they’re a pro and youtube will be awash with crap drone

I’m no expert, but overuse of upper body and skis too far apart, any other massive flaws from that – genuine question, I still have a LOT of technique to learn and improve personally and critiquing others can be quite helpful!

dashed
    Free Member

Skis are doing random things, weight is often on the wrong ski, sitting back, bum out, initiating turns by throwing shoulders around, jumping skis around to turn, hands flailing around – take your pick, it’s all there. Pretty much the opposite of quiet upper body and smooth skiing – all meant in a helpful, critique-y way 😉

In all honesty though, some of that powder looked pretty heavy and windblown.

And I’d hate to see drone footage of me skiing!!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Loads of snow in Peisey at the moment. It’s been great this week.
    New skis, NRGY100 are brilliant.
    Kids (4 & 6) both skied blue from above Peisey. French all seemed to stay in today, so none of the queues we have had all week were a problem. Not great light but the snow is lovely.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

NRGY100 are brilliant.

This is correct.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendation on those CFH. They really are a master of most conditions.
    Powder, piste, crud, bumps are ok too..
    Nearly went for the narrower version but having had as much snow as we have this week, I’m glad I had the fatter ones.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Watch out for tree wells..
    Where did he go?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Overview
    Thoroughly consistent, yet average in its overall scoring, this is a decent choice as an all-mountain ski. For the price there are definitely better choices in our review, but it is at least consistent across the board. We prefer versatile skis in general but when a ski stands out in some way, it deserves special attention. The Nordica NRGy 100 was not a stand out ski for most of our testers, like the Volkl Mantra as an example.

So what do you lot know eh? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Laterally stiff, vertically compliant.

hammerite
    Free Member

I ended up buying some Rossis. But looked at the NRG80/90 are these as good as the 100s?

wallop

TheDTs – have you seen the eagle/vulture thing yet?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shall we have some Swell Panik pron?

They make monos as well. Which is awesome!

scaredypants

<sings>

I’m going skiing in the morning
    half term, it costs a **** bomb

😀

(and you can foff with yer monoskis too flash)

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m currently on the coach en route to Chamonix. Coach is full of ****, I’m full of manflu…..week of off piste in Cham should make up for it though 😀

singletrackmind

Coach is full of skiers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

STM, he’s going to Cham, so probably either ****s or Russians.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

it’s all there

Probably how I’d look if you stuck a drone on me 😛

TheDTs
    Free Member

Wallop, no sensible bird would be out there this week it’s been “turbo puking” most of the time. Only half a day of sunshine.
    We did have some “big old bird” in our chalet though. She left this morning.
    Our last day tomorrow, going to get out for first lift and meet Mrs DTs and the kids for a run or two after, been snowing on and off all day and night.
    Transfer to Chambery on Sunday has been brought forward to accommodate road conditions though..
    Hope it lasts for trip 2 with a bunch of *****s to Chamonix in a few weeks…;-)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Oh and the Mantra wasn’t on offer for the price I got the NRGY100.
    HAMMER, not better different. Just a bias to different conditions.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Anyone own or has rented the Salomon Q105? Thoughts?

rone

Arrived in Morzine after a pretty awful drive from Notts. UK side was great for a change but weather, standard of driving and amount of traffic in France was pretty dreadful. I know it’s half term but other half is a teacher – and last time was delayed on plane for 6 hrs – so driving this time.

You feel out of place if you’ve not got an AC90 of X5 flashing everyone out of the way at 90mph in torrential rain. ****ts.

Drove plenty of times before but this was a perfect storm. Still, Morzine now and shed loads of snow , almost put the snow socks on which were flashing up mandatory.

Stoner
    Free Member

brave man, but good effort.
    Have fun, and get yerself over to Chatel for a day if you can.

Already itching to go back out in a few weeks time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.