Viewing 18 posts - 2,041 through 2,058 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season
  • geoffj

Home after a glorious 7 days in Alpine Italia

Already looking at flights and free ride skis for next year 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

wow – those are amazing conditions.

What alt?

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Missing the snow, Was in the Dolomites 2 weeks ago.
    Some slush low down.
    Had the MRI of my knee on Saturday 🙁
    But I’ll get it fixed for next year…

geoffj

Stoner – Member
    wow – those are amazing conditions.
    What alt?

About 2,800 m there, but we were skiing up to 3,400 m from the top of Plateau Rosa 8)

geoffj

So 2 questions:
    1. Can anyone recommend a well vented helmet? My K2 Thrive is just too warm and cooks my once – I need something a little cooler; and
    2. Any recommendations for some 50/50 piste vs off piste skis? Black Crows Orbs are looking good, but so are Wed’ze Samurais as a budget option. Who you got?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I would massively recommend my smith vantage mips helmet

Smith Vantage Review And Buying Advice

geoffj

I like the look of the Smith Vantage Mips and after some of the prices I’ve seen in the past week, it looks quite reasonable. Maybe see if I can get a 2016 model in the sale.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

2. Any recommendations for some 50/50 piste vs off piste skis? Black Crows Orbs are looking good, but so are Wed’ze Samurais as a budget option. Who you got?

I loved the old S3 I had and had a test on the new Rossi Sin 7 and it was a good fun, slashy ski too. Skis fairly short for its length but at 98 under foot and a decent rocker they float pretty well too. The Experience 98 is also apparently pretty good with a more on piste focus.

DezB
    Free Member

@geoffj – SportPursuit have a Cratoni Tempest which has some large vents at the front and it’s only £40
    Also have Smiths and Pocs at the mo.
    Worth a look.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Just about to order a set of these for next season: Ambush. This year was great but the days with 50cm of powder and a few bootpacks make we want something lighter with a wee bit more float.

geoffj

Thanks to dez and whatnobeer – there is a bargain pair of sin 7s in my LSS, which I’m probably going to go for – and that bloody sport pursuit site is like crack. I’m now £200+ lighter 😕 🙂

igm

Worse than that Geoff, the SP computer learns the things you like and emails you about them.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Know it’s a long shot but has anyone stayed in the Hameau area of Flaine?
    Thinking of there next year but it is stuck up the road a bit. I did read there is a free bookable taxi service which is available after the skibus finishes ….

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve just put the storage wax on my skis for the Summer. When does the new thread start, after the solstice? Last week:

The snow was awful, icy low down then softer higher (temperature inversions are common when the wind is in from Spain), 20-30cm of surface soft which slipped off as soon as any pressure was put on it. Making a turn would have taken me straight back into the slide I’d started so it was skis off and walk down the line my mini-avalanche had cleared.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I just bought some new bindings for next season! We’ve had the longest day here so the countdown to winter is on!

wallop

New thread please, Flashy – it’s July on Friday 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Patience, patience…..

Let’s at least have a day or two to enjoy summer!

New thread coming soon…..!

Viewing 18 posts - 2,041 through 2,058 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.