Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Looks like my Brizzle 3-“Peaks” will be in markedly different conditions to the day I did the recce for it. Should be interesting. 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This weekend? Far too early to be looking at weather dear boy!

Spin
    Free Member

Far too early to be looking at weather dear boy!

Like I said, early doors but…

Spin
    Free Member

Also, not massively impressed by the info from the organisers. Even with the gpx it’s still quite difficult to work out where the route actually goes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I only really look at mwis, it’ll only give weather til Thursday, and even at that Arran weather is ridiculously changeable.

Bob, it doesn’t matter what you look like running, my neighbour runs as if he’s bursting for a shite, but wins most of the 10k races around here. 😊

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tbh spin, it’s fairly obvious on the ground, even if it’s a tad murky, the only dodgy bit, ie lack of obvious path, is coming off the west side of Cir Mhor and heading to caisteal abhail.
    Marc of mine got disqualified for Nov going right to the summit last year, Marshall directed him the wrong way, but onus is on you to navigate yourself to be fair.

You heading over on Friday or what? I’ll be on 0945 ferry on Sat, if you’re on that I can talk you through route wi a map, drop me a pm mate.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m not worried about navigation, I know the terrain and have the skills, just surprised at the poor quality of the route map and lack of info on the website. Whole load of dead links on it too.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m on the last ferry on Friday night.

Spin
    Free Member

But thanks for the offer!

dashed
    Free Member

@root-n-5th

Just to reiterate what others have said – don’t go too hard too early! I got into running at about 43. I’m still crap a couple of years later but love getting out in the hills and have done the odd race. I’ve struggled a bit along the way with IT band pain and tight hamstrings which always flare up if I have a break and then jump straight back in without gradually increasing the mileage.

turboferret

Yesterday was my first day back in the office after paternity leave, I now get my run commutes back 🙂

A bit damp running home, but was pleased to see that the forecast was dry for this morning. A couple of puddles which were around a foot deep did however mean my feet didn’t stay entirely dry on my run in this morning 😮

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll have to re-think my warm up. Thing is, it’s fine to say jog for a few minutes to warm up, but I’m only really jogging at full blast.

Come to think of it though, I never warm up on the bike, just get on and ride, picking up the pace as it feels like I can. Hardly ever experience pain or discomfort, unless riding for longer than usual, which is to be expected.

bob_summers

my neighbour runs as if he’s bursting for a shite, but wins most of the 10k races around here. 😊

There’s hope for me yet!

flyingmonkeycorps

I find warm up really tricky, much the same as you (I’m very slow at full pelt, and I don’t have time for long runs so distance is short). I tend to try and just have a brisk walk for a few minutes before running, then start at a steady(er) pace.

I do do a few static stretches at the end, if I remember. And a walk to cool down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s no real impact in cycling though, it’s markedly different. Sounds like you’re doing fine, as long as you don’t go haring off like a bat out of hell!.

djambo
    Free Member

Getting back in to the odd jog after pulling my calf muscle a couple of months back. I’ve been feeling really lethargic while running since the comeback begun, which is probably due to drinking and eating a bit too much.

Anyway today i managed 8.5km (i’m usually a 5km man) and even stopped off at a park and did 5 short sprints with some recovery in between. Despite hating it at the time I’ve now got that post workout smug/glow/hum and I’m looking forward to hopefully staying injury free and shifting a few kg.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brilliant, it’s a great feeling.

I currently am engulfed in ‘the fear’ for tonights club 5k time trial….

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Is that like a cycling time trial, runners off at intervals? Sounds fun and distressing at the same time. Hope it goes well and the rain stays away.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, it’s just a monthly 5k timed run, all start at same time, marshalled too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Running in the rain is boring.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d far rather have the rain than the wind tbf!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rain is the tears of all the people that finish behind you in the next race because they couldn’t be arsed.

But yeah, gimme rain over wind any day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

20.49 tonight, lots of work to do to hit the target, though it’s a tough loop.
    36 secs off my previous PB, so happy. 😊

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nice work!!

Thing I find depressing is knowing how difficult it is to knock off 12-15s per km to go sub 20. I just don’t know where they’re going to come from. It’s such a massive difference going from 4.15ish to 4ish isn’t it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, for sure, just need to keep plugging, wasn’t up for it tonight really, and didn’t feel I ran well, so I known I can run better.

Also, a rite of passage….. lost my first toenail due to running tonight, gave me a nice warm glow! 🤣

surfer
    Free Member

It’s such a massive difference going from 4.15ish to 4ish isn’t it.

It happens. Its amazing how fast you run if you persevere with the training. Like all things you have to continue to ratchet up your training and your expectations.
    Are you still doing the early morning speeds sessions? Are they getting faster/shorter recoveries/more intervals etc?
    Also mix your training up and do other events, particularly shorter ones that really take you out of your comfort zone. Maybe miss a session or two then do a 1 mile flat out TT, absolutely balls out. Forget 5k and when you eventually come back to it you will run it quicker. Introduce very short interval sessions such as 200’s etc close to flat out.
    A session I used to do every week after a steady run was 10x100m on the road as fast as I could. Stuff like that helps with leg speed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I do to track sessions every thursday surfer, but tbh I reckon I could work harder when there, need to learn to suffer more. Tbh I’m not really focussed on 5k at all, doing longer stuff and hill races this year, but sub 20 is a bit of an obsession tbh, just need to get it done.

lunge

Running in the rain is boring.

Nah, rain is the best possible conditions for running
    Did a Rothley 10k last night as my company sponsored it. Pouring rain, 2 lap course, hilly and far to far from home for a Tuesday night. Sneaked under 46 minutes which I was relatively happy with, but it reinforced how little I like 10k’s. Struggled with the pacing all the way through, started fast, decided I couldn’t hold it so back off, then finished strong and crossed the line thinking I had loads more in the tank. It’s annoying as I know I’ve got a quick, 10k in the locker but I just can’t get them right.

surfer
    Free Member

How close are you NBF?

Spin
    Free Member

bh I’m not really focussed on 5k at all, doing longer stuff and hill races this year, but sub 20 is a bit of an obsession tbh

You might find that you focus on other stuff for a bit and when you go back to it your sub 20 just sort of happens.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

20.49 last night surfer, I’ll get there. My local parkrun isn’t a parkrun really, it’s along a pancake flat promenade at Troon, and is boring as hell, I reckon I’ll get it there.

surfer
    Free Member

That shouldnt be too difficult to trim over 2-3 weeks on a good course 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like an optimist!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rain, nah.

Hate carrying a brolly.

☔️

bob_summers

I feel this could be the running equivalent of Shimano vs Campag, but does kinesio tape do anything? I’m a bit desperate, back from the physio today and my hip pain is a spot of tendonitis in the quad insertion. Rectus Femoris strain. Just watched a video of a bloke taping that same injury and I’m incredulous it’ll do anything at all, but willing to try anything.
    Racing on Sunday – I can climb OK but flat running and downhill, especially braking, is very uncomfortable. Will be out for a good 7 or 8 hours, best idea I’ve got is Ibuprofen (which luckily comes in 600mg over the counter here)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try it.

I worked for me when I had knee issues a while back. Didn’t stop the pain but did help with keeping it in a straight line.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have no experience of it directly, but it always strikes me that it’s not the kind of thing to do yourself, should mibbe be done by someone who knows what they’re doing?.

bob_summers

Good point. I just watched this. It’s not even tight, how can it possibly make any difference?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Bit slow with this but…

Running in the rain in draining. *

Drilling holes is boring.

* I actually quite like it.

turboferret

It happens. Its amazing how fast you run if you persevere with the training. Like all things you have to continue to ratchet up your training and your expectations.

Very much this – I would never think when I ran my first marathon in 2012 at 4:15/km that a few years later I’d be running nearly a minute/km quicker for the same distance.

Has taken some effort though, and has been a progression – pace has dropped 4:15, 4:02, 3:51, 3:47, 3:39, 3:28, 3:27, 3:23 for each marathon.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.