• This topic has 7,709 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by temudgin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not at all Dave, this thread is open to all, as per the title. I never used one tbh, I just started running and walking, gradually cutting out the walking when I felt able.

Best of luck mate, there’s loads of us on here who haven’t been running long, I’m sure someone will have a recommendation.

bob_summers

Didn’t use one either. Should have done. Cautionary tale:
    Came into trail running in December on a whim, from training about 15h a week on the bike, so fit-ish but zero running history ever. Started walking to work cross country (10k), ran a bit after a few days. After two weeks I was doing 65k and 2000m a week and the tendons in my ankle went. Swelled up so much the skin blistered. Fixed that, the knee went. Have had forefoot pain on and off for 2 months now. Weight went up, fitness down…

mogrim

Entered the T3T above, June 16th. I know all of the route through riding it, and carrying my bike over a good proportion of it. Doesn’t seem very runnable to me, but seeing the CR is a bit over 4h (5m40/km?), it must be. What do I do from here?

Time in the hills, basically. Run where you can, walk the rest. Aim for minimum 3 hour outings. If you’re thinking of using walking poles now’s the time to start using them.

flyingmonkeycorps

Re C25K – I didn’t use one either, but my Mrs liked the BBC one. If you’re already reasonably fit you might find it a bit frustratingly slow, but actually I reckon it’ll help build up your muscles and tendons nice abs steadily thus helping to avoid injury.

5k is about my limit at the moment tbh, but then I’m only getting out about once a week.

Spin
    Free Member

@will just looking at results, you had a great run yesterday!

lowey

The injury thing is what happened to me last time I started running. Knees went when I got up to 10k. Was in basic trainers not running shoes and didn’t follow anything structured. Thought a good c25 app would help. I’ll check the BBC one thanks.

oldtennisshoes

Miss OTS has shown interest so I’m doing C25K with her. Week 3 now and Michael Johnson is now my official man crush 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

New PB for my boy this morning at junior Parkrun. Made it all the way round without stopping for a walk 😀 in 12.11 over the 2k. Not too shabby for a 6 year old. Really nice way to spend a morning together. Nice turnout too today of around 70 youngsters.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thats wicked for his age Ciaran, awesome stuff.

Nice half marathon in Coatbridge this morning, was bloody warm, wife and I just used it as a training run. 👌🏻

oldtennisshoes

Good going junior DD!

bob_summers

Time in the hills, basically. Run where you can, walk the rest. Aim for minimum 3 hour outings. If you’re thinking of using walking poles now’s the time to start using them.

Well today was a good start. Reccied the first half, 4 hours to run 26k. Rubbish. Last year’s winner took 4h18 to finish. From the first summit, the second looked impossibly far away, couldn’t even work out where the third was. Then, after about 3h running I was cooked and that second hill didn’t seem to be getting nearer. The foot held together though, as long as I didn’t place it wonky.

Poles just seem like faffage to me, what do they do?

Spin
    Free Member

Poles just seem like faffage to me, what do they do?

Take load off your knees, aid ballance and allow you to use upper body to help with propulsion. Not everyone gets on with them but I’m a convert for really big days.

duckman

I always use poles hillwalking, other half has started using them coming down hills during races after a couple of years of knee trouble, we both think they make a difference. Some races disagree though as they are banned at some events.

Lowey, some local running clubs do a couch to 5k, it is a really good way to meet other beginners and keep your mojo going as well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, poles are a given for me now when coming off a munro, take so much pressure off of the joints, judging puddle/snow depth or whacking the odd unruly dug. Never tried running with them, I’d imagine it’ll take a bit of practice.

whitestone
    Free Member

The use of poles in races isn’t about the benefit to the user but the risks to others. The tip gets stuck and you yank at it to get it out and the pole becomes momentarily errant potentially striking other runners.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yeah, I can see that, though a simple assessment would place that way down the list of potential hazards on the hill!.

mogrim

Yeah, I can see that, though a simple assessment would place that way down the list of potential hazards on the hill!.

It’s only really a problem at the start of races, when you are all still bunched up. At the Transvulcania for example poles are banned for the first 10K or so. Once you’re a bit more spread out you just need to leave a bit of a space between you and the person in front. Anyway I’d certainly use them for a mountain marathon, assuming you’ve had a chance to practise. Not essential of course, but definitely a help.

mogrim

New PB for my boy this morning at junior Parkrun. Made it all the way round without stopping for a walk 😀 in 12.11 over the 2k. Not too shabby for a 6 year old.

Good going!

Here’s something to aim for next year:

Sara Meloni, con 7 años, vuelve a conseguir el récord europeo en 10K: 44’44”

(Can’t find a link to the news in English, but the headline’s pretty clear…)

Spin
    Free Member

Anyway I’d certainly use them for a mountain marathon,

I take it you mean marathon distance over mountains rather than a mountain marathon? I find the navigation element in a MM means I’ve often got map and compass in hand making pole use awkward.

mogrim

I take it you mean marathon distance over mountains rather than a mountain marathon

I meant a marathon distance trail race with course markers, at least here in Spain they rarely have any navigation element.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Here’s something to aim for next year:

😮

It’s the likes of her that’s dragging his age grading percentage down. 😅

Seriously though, that’s mad.

Yesterday was the first day he listened when I said not to go off like a train at the beginning and just go a bit easier. He seemed to enjoy reeling in the sprinters over the second lap. Put in a sprint at the end to grab another few places which was nice for him.

What a lovely event – 70 kids all out doing a couple of laps in the park. As it was deaf awareness week, all the pre-amble was signed and the kids learned a few basics. We signed “Thank You” to the marshals as we passed. Lovely. 🙂

lunge

Right then, after a brief foray into riding bikes this weekend, I now have 1 week to go until Worcester Marathon. Not sure 100 mile bike rides the weekend before is a textbook taper, but there we go.
    3:45 is the goal on what is meant to be a hilly course at Worcester.

firestarter
    Free Member

Did Leeds half yesterday my first road event. very hot, first half is hilly, got to halfway point then speeded up to try get inside 1.45 ended up chip time of 1.44.16 very pleased

will
    Free Member

@spin – Thanks, felt great on the up, and handled the descent well. Good time yourself!

Cracking weekend with Lomond Saturday, then Arrochar Alps recce on Sunday. Some day for it.

MrSparkle

Well done everybody who raced, especially DD’s lad! Brillinat.
    lowey – there’s a new running group started up locally to you North Bolton Runners. They run from the War Memorial I think. They might be of use?
    Meanwhile I have been cracking on with the JNC training. This weekend I was asked to help out pacing on a BG attempt. I’d never met the guy before but that is often the case with these things and part of it’s appeal. We did Leg 4 from Wasdale over to Honister. He couldn’t have chosen a better day for it (although he did have a bit of ice and snow overnight and on Scafell Pike and Scafell). It was beautiful on our leg. Anyway, the lad was an absolute machine and stormed round in a very impressive 21:01.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s phenomenal, well done Sparkles.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

30k of assorted hills, moors n glens in the Edzell area last Sunday

bob_summers

Bloody hell Mike, looks mega.

Q for the fellrunners.. I’d like to do one of the longer lakes races, thinking of going to the UK for a couple of weeks to visit family in S.Lakes in July or August. Just seen on twitter that Borrowdale entries open on 31st May. Given that I’d probably have to sort flights out before then, what’s the crack with the entries? First come first served, draw…? Daft idea to have a shot at something like that as a first fell race? Otherwise, I’ll just aim for my club’s race (Bootle show) tail end of Aug. Any other ideas within an hour from Furness? Kentmere? Sedbergh?
    Still a bit peeved to have DNSed the anniversary waltz thanks to a wrecked hire car.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think Borrowdale require that you have finished an A-long race before you can enter. Kentmere’s a good ‘un, not run Sedbergh as a race but run most of the course on training runs, all very runnable terrain.

@MrSparkle
    – Mr Beales I presume?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Always love your photos Mike! 💙

grimep
    Free Member

After reading this I think I’m going to advise my kids to go into the sports injury industry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well after a couple weeks hiatus recovering/down on energy after 10under the bens effort

Got back from offshore on Thursday at 12

Had a shower and packed my bag. Ran 15k to town @5:30kms (slow by most of your standards but quick for me over that distance.)

Today I’ve been hacking sticks all day but my mate text saying -hill of fare ?

So we did a half marathon on the hill out to the shooting hut then back over meikle tap.

Felt good Both times, feeling happier about ability to finish now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well, I relented and got the boy a pair of “proper” running trainers. Tbf, as long as you’re happy with an older model sportsshoes.com do plenty of ASICS etc for under £20 which is fair enough. He chose these goppers: 🙀🤢

We’ve just finished junior Parkrun and if my Garmin’s correct, he’s done his 2k in around 11.15 which is nearly a minute off his PB last week. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb sir! Well done lad.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

14th out of 42, 9th JM10, 53 seconds off his PB. Going to be hard to top that for a bit. 😀

Spud

I’ve been running for a couple of years, mostly trail, as a shoulder injury curtailed biking. I’m now refereeing rugby so have to be fitter than I was but still struggling to go more than 4 miles in one go and then it’s broken up with short stops whilst the dogs swim etc. I think I’m getting quicker but any advice on nudging the distance up? The last time I did around 7 miles my knees played up (old injury and surgery, was told don’t run again). I really enjoy it, clears my head and gets the dogs out (two birds and all that). Now the rugby season is done I’ve been thinking of Park Run, I know I’m getting quicker but today fr instance I’ve struggled with shins and calf niggles.

mogrim

I think I’m getting quicker but any advice on nudging the distance up?

Take it easy, and it’ll get there. Add at most 10% extra time/distance per week. When you can comfortably do 6-7 miles you should start thinking about different types of run, things like doing a shorter interval/fartlek run midweek, long run at the weekend, that kind of thing. But I personally wouldn’t worry about that at the moment when you’re still “struggling to go more than 4 miles”.

You haven’t said how many times you go running per week, but assuming you’re doing 2 or 3 outings there’s no reason you couldn’t make one of them a parkrun.

And if you can/need to, lose weight 🙂

Spud

Cheers, when I say struggling I think I might be pushing myself too hard too soon and then not being able to maintain it consistently. I am running around 3 times a week at the moment. It’s usually less in rugby season esp at the weekends. Weight loss is one reason I am running, I lost a reasonable amount last year but a little has crept back on. It is one exercise that seems to work for me in that regard.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hot and damp in the showers down this way, upping the distance and coming together nicely.

Plenty of dog shit hanging from the bushes, but on the way back it’d all disappeared..

All hail the dog shit fairy 🧚‍♀️

mogrim

when I say struggling I think I might be pushing myself too hard too soon and then not being able to maintain it consistently.

Running is definitely a sport where consistency is key, if you’re doing less during the rugby season you’ll find it very hard to make much progress. Anyway, life gets in the way so given that I’d definitely change one of your runs to a parkrun (and don’t be tempted to do the parkrun in addition to what you’re doing at the moment). If the park’s close a nice idea is to gently jog to the event, do the run, and then either jog or walk back.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.