The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 3,124 total)
  • The Running 2019 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Repping the City of Dreams in the MK Marathon!

madeupname

Anyone got stuff on this weekend?

Isle of Wight ultra.

Wondering if I have possibly bitten off more than I can chew, but hey, only one way to find out!

And at least navigation is easy – keep sea on left

Spin

Good day at Stuc a’ Chroin today. No results yet but paced it well and finished strong ahead of a few people who often beat me. Pleased with that in the build up to Jura.

Anyone got stuff on this weekend?

Did an 18k trail race here in País Vasco, after about 5 or 6 weeks of easy runs on a gammy foot. The injuries behaved, though my hips tightened up in the last few Ks – would have finished stronger if not.

The Basques do love to put a bit of scrambling in their trail races. I am scared of heights. One section yesterday involved climbing up a gully over well-polished, wet limestone. I literally crawled up it, with a queue of runners behind me. I’d reccied the mountain a while back, but assumed it would come up another route with a path.
    Descending was just embarrassing. I can run on my foot but have to be careful on placing – if I put my weight on it and it isn’t straight, it wrecks. Gingerly picking my way down a trail with folk barreling down either side of me, and watching the group I was with disappear into the distance was annoying, though I did catch some later.
    Still, fairly happy with how it went. The previous races I’d done had gone progressively worse so good to buck the trend.

Did a recce for my hardmoors in Nov the other day 20 miles on very open moorland that’s gonna be fun on a cold day , enjoyed it though

trail_rat

struggling to get over the threshold.

10 unders knocked the shit out of me , Put in a big effort for obvious reasons.

Feeling really fatigued and generally Achey all over but know i Just need to GET OUT – but the old theres always 100 jobs to do is stopping me right now.

Chill out mate, get yer jobs done, you’ll know yourself when you’re ready to come back.

will

Stuc a Chroin 5000 at the weekend and my first Scottish Long Classic. 13 miles and just over 5,000ft of climbing.

Finlay Wild broke the course record (and won) and 2:06:24. I finished I 2:37:21. Which I was pleased with. Conditions were pretty ideal, ground wasn’t too wet and on the day it was warm-ish. Going up I felt superb, down I was just about in control, so could have probably gone quicker! Always nice to bag another Munro as well.

trail_rat

Cheers Greg. It in the back of my mind that the target race is 7weeks away.

Never mind enforced fun tonight , let’s see how legs fire. 12mile CTT on the aero blade tonight.

Get a run in jmmorns morning if all goes well

Thinking of trying my first ever road race(on bike) Thursday as well ….just get the legs going. Just finding it hard to get back on my feet after a week off , start on the bike and progress back to feet.

Also looking back at Strava my months run total was double that of Jan/Feb/march and was approaching marcothon levels but with intensity thrown in plus 25hours on the bike -pretty much all at intensity -2 short course races and one 10hour race and the club run on Tuesdays which is 2 hours turning my self inside out

I’m allowed to be fatigued I think -just not for too long with deadlines pending.

That’s a tough gig Will, it’s a long drag off of Stuc a chroin! well done sir.

Terry, when’s the big day btw?

@mattoutandabout are you doing Dumyat hill race on wednesday night?

will

Nobeer – Hardest section was up Beinn Each, just so steep.

Also doing Dumyat on Wednesday, Helensburgh 10km Thursday and Ben Lomond Saturday.

Spin

Stuc a Chroin 5000 at the weekend and my first Scottish Long Classic.

Looking at the times and club colours I reckon I passed you on the way off Stuc itself, before the cut off back to Glen Ample!

I have mixed feelings about that race, it would be great if they could work out a route that avoids all that landy track.

will

Nice work Spin, who do you run for? We were chatting to one of the organisers at the end, and he was saying they’ve found an alternative route which cuts out alot of the fire road, but with all the forestry work it might not get approval. Same with the original route.

trail_rat

Lairig ghru is June 30th and jnr arrives July 29th or thereabouts.

Good stuff Terry!.

Spin

I’m with Highland Hill Runners. I had the same chat with the organiser so fingers crossed. I’m also doing BL on Saturday so maybe see you there. Think I’m the only HHR so should be easy to identify!

First ever marathon in MK yesterday – aimed for 3:30, (secretly) hoped for 3:20 – managed 3:13! I am absolutely buzzing! 20 second positive split, and I’ve still got all my toenails! What next – mebbe Abingdon?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Toenails 🤣👍

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

Well done for absolutely smashing your goal time, Tarka 🙂

Spin

Nice one Tarka.

mark88

I’ve started doing a bit of running on my lunch break. So far it’s been 20-30 minute runs which I’ve enjoyed but my competitive instinct wants more…

I did a Parkrun on Saturday in 23.40 which gives me a nice marker to improve on.
    I’m looking for a 3 session per week plan to follow (6 weeks ideally). Any that people would recommend?

I found this Nike Run Club 8 week plan which I like the look of but that much track work seems like overkill for what I want.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

I’m hoping to get back into the fold after a winter of 70 plus hour working weeks pretty much killed all forms of physical exercise some November! I’ve managed four nice steady 5k runs over the past week with no ill effects so hopefully I can start to build that up over the next week or two to get back to where I was in the autumn. nothing too major. 8-10 miles is generally my “long”Sunday effort….

MrSparkle

Well, I’ve been rattling on about doing the Joss Naylor Challenge on here for a while. I’ve made the attempt ‘official’ now. An element of taking part is that I have to raise money for a Charity. I’ve chosen Prostate Cancer UK for obvious reasons. Doing this will be part of my recovery and if I succeed then it will be my big f*** you to cancer. If anyone can spare a quid or so then I would be very grateful. Ta.
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/simon-fox24

Fantastic Sparkles, lost my dad to PC, he retired from ICI at 50 with the golden handshake, full pension, life was gonna be good…

He was gone at 52.

Mark88, there’s loads of those kinda plans out there, tough bit is making one work for you.

If It was me I’d do something along the lines of 1 x 5k tempo run, 1 x long slow (and I mean really slow!) run, and one interval or hill session. My BIL started doing pretty much all of his training using mafetone method, 180bpm minus your age, as he’s 44 he keeps it below 136, which he struggled to keep with as it felt so slow to him.

He’s really seen huge gains, can batter out cracking speeds now at that HR.

mark88

Thanks nobeer, that’s pretty much what I had in mind.

I plan to maintain the bulk of my running being at lunch, so shorter, more intense sessions fit better than low HR aerobic stuff

will

Absolute shocker of a race Dumyat last night. Legs just cooked from a big few weeks, and injured tow didn’t help things. Did finally loose my big toe nail though after a month on hanging on/pain.

Would it be ridiculous to enter a mountain marathon? Is there any point in doing these things just to get round before the cut off?
    Just noticed a few spaces left on a local one on June 16th. I’ve done 4 trail races now between 15 and 30k, running since December, about 65k a week now all off-road/hills.
    The 30k I did felt 10k too far for me, though I did start too hard. I’m also quite good at getting injured. 43k and 2700m vertical, I’m tempted to take a punt anyway before it sells out, but it’s 50 quid. There’s a shorter course but it’s full.

https://www.wikiloc.com/trail-running-trails/t3t-maratoia-2017-15993795

Will, I loved it last night, only my 3rd hill race after Kaim and Whangie, longest yet, but I know Dumyat well for biking there, and strangely the climb wasn’t as bad as I anticipated!.

Think I was around 54 minutes, as ever, happy with mid table mediocrity!.

mogrim

Would it be ridiculous to enter a mountain marathon? Is there any point in doing these things just to get round before the cut off?

Definitely. In fact it’s what most of us are basically doing, to varying degrees. Lovely thing about mountain races is that they’re a lot more sociable than a road race, assuming you’re not that bothered about the final result.

Absolutely agree, much more sociable, not judgemental on times, and your in the hills. It’s all good.

Edit – just seen that Tarsuinn trail on Arran is sold out, big race that Spin s in only has 5 places left. It’s only 15 miles for the one I’m in, but 2000m of climbing takes me quite a bit out of my comfort zone!.

Canny bloody wait! I love a ridge, the idea of racing on one gets the juices going!.

dashed

MrSparkle – chucked a few quid in the pot for your JN challenge – good luck and keep us informed 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Has anyone issues with Strava?
    A few months back it stopped working (Xperia XZ1) and since Pie update now works to start with but stops working properly…

I’ve tried an uninstall/reinstall.

MrSparkle

Thanks dashed. Very much appreciated.
    Here’s a video about the JNC that I found quite inspirational. If anyone else wants to chuck a couple of quid in, feel free! Ta.

JNC

Make sure you haven’t some kind of battery saving mode enabled Matt.

stayhigh

At the start of the year I had a series of niggles and issues with my calves and shins which hopefully appears to be behind me now (pretty please). Still having some issues with my hip flexors but getting into better habits again re yoga and stretching so things are looking up. I’d entered the Afan Tough Runner half marathon earlier in the year and now its starting to loom larger, 12 weeks on sunday, would like to get a little more structure into my running.
    I’m under no illusions this will be tough run with lots of elevation and am looking forward to the challenge but want to be adequately prepared. Given the vast array of training plans available online is there one that is considered “the one” or at least a good starting point?

would like to get a little more structure into my running

Watching with interest. My ‘training’ is basically run up hills until I can’t, then walk. And repeat. Still very much feel like a cyclist dabbling in running!

Entered the T3T above, June 16th. I know all of the route through riding it, and carrying my bike over a good proportion of it. Doesn’t seem very runnable to me, but seeing the CR is a bit over 4h (5m40/km?), it must be. What do I do from here? I was thinking of some recce runs, the first hill alone is a big day out for me… Also need to talk to my physio about my tight calves/hams – get the feeling all the steep stuff I’ve been doing is going straight through my forefoot, leaving it constantly sore. Calves need to help a bit more I reckon.

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

Started running in mid March this year, haven’t ran properly for 10 years. Did my first half marathon this morning with my little girl in the Chariot. Managed 1:59 which was a little slower than I’d hoped for. But as this was 10k longer than anything else I’ve ran, I’ll take it. I can do a 5k in 23mins and a 10k in 50, but this was MUCH harder for me.

Well done Daffy!. 👏🏻

lowey

Sorry to drop into a massive thread where its probably been asked loads… but

what c25k app would you guys recommend. I’m going for a running shoe fitting thing next week as I’m pretty determined to start running again. Cheers all

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 3,124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.