Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Spin
    Free Member

My wife’s doing the Newlands. I think experience required basically means able to navigate / look after yourself should the weather be bad or things go tits up.

MrSparkle

Yes, the Anniversary Waltz, as was, is an excellent race. Really good route. The TWA is a toughie by all accounts.
    Last night didn’t go to plan. Felt fine before KO although was in a rush and didn’t get a good warm up. Set off and it’s immediately up a climb. I was huffing and puffing a bit but soldiered on. About a 1/4 into race and I was struggling and already getting passed by people I knew I should be staying with. I got round and I ran it all but felt like shit when I’d finished. Very unusual for me. Several hours later I still felt rough and was wheezing. And then light dawned. The race goes over several fields and by a wood and I’d had a hay fever reaction to pollen. Had antihistamines so hoping it clears up soon. The positive I take from this is that I managed to tough it out and finish. I’ll be interested to see the results when they come out.

zippykona

Doing couch to 5 k and had my first 20 minute run on Sunday.

The outside of my left foot and ankle is still sore.

I have shims in my bike shoes that lift the outside of my foot should I put them in my runners?

Have tried those neoprene ankle supports but find them too tight on the arch of my foot. Do they make socks with a firm support ankle area but normal sock on the foot?

bob_summers

Zippy, I started at the tail end of last year and had loads of ankle and foot pain. Bit by bit it went away (to be replaced by knee pain and eventually more foot and ankle pain!). My conclusion is, it’s just a war of attrition against the injuries at my age! Currently resting/icing the top of my foot…

Spin, I entered the Memorial. For the sake of a tenner, if they don’t let me run then it’s a day out with the family. No idea how I’ll get there yet.

MrSparkle

Bob – there’s no test. If you say that you have the required Experience then it’s up to you.

bob_summers

Cheers Mr. S. Looking forward to it. If anyone hears of someone driving up from Ulverston way with a space, let me know (though might rent a car and dump the family in Keswick for a few hours if the forecast is not awful)

Spin
    Free Member

Spin, I entered the Memorial. For the sake of a tenner, if they don’t let me run then it’s a day out with the family. No idea how I’ll get there yet.

You’ll be fine I’m sure. Just make sure you have the mandatory kit (hat, gloves, full waterproof body cover, map and compass).

There are likely to be two people there in Highland Hill Runners colours, dark blue vests with red tartan flashes. One is very tall. I’m the other one. Say hi if you see someone meeting that description!

whitestone
    Free Member

Who organises the Anniversary Waltz/Newlands and TWA these days since Steve died? I’ve not spoken to Wynn, his wife, for a while.

The Memorial route is a great race, never did the TWA, my hip was just starting to go when it began.

bob_summers

Say hi if you see someone meeting that description!

Will do, Spin.

Whitestone, organised by Cumberland.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Memorial race next year for sure, I love biking those fells, but canny make it this year, going to theatre with family that day.

Looks awesome.

bob_summers

Those who’ve done the twa/anniversary before, is there owt going on in the village during the race, ie stuff to occupy the family or are they better off in Keswick (my better half doesn’t drive)?

Spin
    Free Member

Who’s racing this weekend then? I’ve got the Clachnaben hill race on Saturday.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Spin that’s my local.

Unfortunately I’m flying into Glasgow in the morning 🙁

Racing the spring bunny 10tt on Sunday as well so was probably never going to be.

Think I’ll pop my shr cherry with another local race at scolty on the 18th.

whitestone
    Free Member

@bob_summers – there’s not much in Newlands, they’d be better off mooching round Keswick.

MrSparkle

^ this.

Got results from Tuesday night’s race. 77th out of 262 wasn’t quite as dire as I thought.

Spin
    Free Member

Looking grim for hill racing today. Excellent!

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve not been out all week (baby sleep patterns plus a couple of days out of work have precluded it) and I’m really missing it! Bike ride tomorrow then hopefully I’ll get a few miles in next week.

bob_summers

Waterproof kecks recommendation, anyone?
    Loathe to spend 80 on something I’ll never use, if they pass kit check and pack reasonably small, I don’t care about weight. Decathlon (ugh) comes up blank. Alpkit?

stox
    Free Member

Go outdoors – £15 freedom trail waterproof trousers. Bought some a few weeks ago for a 50 mile ultra- much like you, to leave In my bag but iended up Wearing them for 30 miles.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Running in waterproof breeks? Sounds horrible! 😂

turboferret

The OMM Kamkeika troos are lovely, I sometimes run in mine if it’s horrible. Not super cheap mind, but very light, comfortable and breathable. The washing instructions are a bit fussy though, but that shouldn’t be a major issue.

Spin
    Free Member

Mountain Warehouse Isodry breeks. About 15 quid, pass kit check, weigh nowt and actually work quite well although as others have pointed out racing in waterproof trousers of any sort is rarely a thing.

mogrim

Decathlon (ugh) comes up blank.

Check the trekking stuff.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh500-protect-mens-black-id_8382416.html

Spin
    Free Member

Today I won a bottle of cheap rose in a race. Excellent. I think.

lunge

Well this is exciting. As of Monday I’m the Event Director of Dudley parkrun. So if any STW runners are in the area then pop over and say hello.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My mandatory trews came from decathlon trekking section.

8 quid

They are light and have taped seams.

I won’t be running in them. If I’m at waterproof trews stage I’m at walking out self recovery stags.

surfer
    Free Member

Hate running/walking in waterproof pants, just get the cheapest pair that get me through the kit check. If I am wearing them I am sheltering behind a stone or moving very slowly so weight etc doesn’t matter.

bob_summers

Trailrat, are your decathlon pants the ones mogrim linked to? Says ‘waterproof’ seams rather than taped but imagine it’s the same. They will do fine if they pass muster and fit in a Pete bland bumbag with a kamleika smock.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bob. Just looked at them. Yep that’s the ones and they are most definantly taped just pulled them out for a look

bob_summers

Cheers TR!

MrSparkle

The thing to bear in mind with waterproof kecks (and all mandatory kit) is that they are not necessarily for running in but if you get an injury or owt then it can be a long walk back in and hypothermia is a really shit thing.
    I got am trying to ramp it up a bit now. Had a run with some mates recceing the Old Counties Tops race route on Saturday. What a day! Absolutely glorious up in the Lakes. We got sunburn! We also slogged through some pretty deep snow at times. As we went up to Scafell Pike from Broad Crag there was a guy coming down wearing crampons who was amazed we were tackling it in studs. Anyway, a proper day out. 27 and a bit miles 7,700 odd foot of climb. 9 and a bit hours out. Great training for JNC. Iwas pretty ruined by the end of it but it was good training. Scafell Pike summit

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Likes!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any pearls of wisdom on downhill running? It’s the one thing about the upcoming hill races I’ve signed up for that I worry about! 🙈

Spin
    Free Member

Any pearls of wisdom on downhill running?

Watch some videos of good downhillers then go out and practice.
    Practice fast, accurate foot placement aiming to land on the ball of your foot.
    Your stance should be upright with your arms out wide.
    If you don’t love it learn to love it. 😉

MrSparkle
    bikebouy
    Free Member

Any pearls of wisdom on downhill running?

No none.

Except I took a 2 weekend course with a guy (Sam at Karibu) who organises running/training trail stuff. I can climb fine, but belting down chalk and flint forests I just bottle it and tip toe down them.

After the course it allows me to flow and be confident at foot placement, and that’s the key. Foot placement.. spotting and landing and going with it rather than the stall/stop/faff that I was doing.

If you get the flow right it’s hardly noticeable on the knees, before I would get sore knees but now I’m more confident… I think that’s it really, confidence.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some good stuff to work on there.

turboferret

Slight scare this weekend was a suspected metatarsal stress fracture. Not exactly what I wanted 3 weeks out from London :O

Potentially partly down to running a 15 mile mixed-terrain XC race in spikes, and all of my training in in India this week being on tarmac instead of my usual significant amount of gravel.

However it doesn’t seem to be that serious, lots of calf rolling, and ice/heat seems to have calmed it down significantly. Probably a bit of tendinitis which I can manage fairly easily. No pain while running, and just a bit annoying during general walking about.

2 weeks in India however has the benefit of getting some great hot-weather training in, and hopefully some sweat adaptation. Average temps for my runs have been 32-35C so hopefully a bit warmer than it will be for London!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Fingers crossed it’s ok TF – be gutting to put in the work you have to miss out.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’m currently tapering in advance of my fist marathon on Sunday.
    Is anyone else here running at Brighton?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.