Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well done bob – sounds like a tough day out – certainly puts my whinging into perspective. Good work for finishing.

turboferret

After a few days in India with slightly higher temperature and humidity than normal, combined with jetlag etc, I returned home on Friday morning a bit down on my usual weekly miles. Made up for it with a hard session on Saturday morning, slightly easier session Saturday afternoon, then a long run Sunday morning. 70km for the weekend made for some sore legs for traipsing around Kew Gardens shortly after my long run! A slightly easier week now before the Orion 15 mile XC race on Saturday 🙂 I’ve come 2nd for 2 years in a row, hopefully I can go one better this time!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Made up for it with a hard session on Saturday morning, slightly easier session Saturday afternoon, then a long run Sunday morning.

Look dude, this kind of madness has to stop. 😀

MrSparkle

Cheers surfer. I took it nice and steady, checked nav a few times and ended up running a bit further and it took me 2 1/2 hours. I get 2:20 for that leg on a 15 hour schedule. I’m quite happy with that.

bob_summers

Had to dig down to page 5 to find the running thread, that won’t do!

Post mortem on Sunday’s debacle – the mysterious implosion on 20k became less mysterious when I looked at Strava – PBs all over the first 8k (shared with my twice weekly 2h loop) – burnt matches everywhere.

Tomorrow is slightly more suitable – 20k and 1200m – if I keep a lid on the first climb which goes up about 800m in 7km. I know the area a bit from MTB, the ridgeline from there will be blast if I’ve got legs.

burko73

Couch to 5 k was going well but had a week off at week 5 as I had discovered I had high blood pressure (hereditary, everything Else tested was good, mum had from young despite being v sporty)

Back on week 6 running for 20 mins and feeling good. Feeling better on the bike and swimming a couple of k’s a week.

Been getting sore shins, like someone’s standing on them. Doc says it’s shin splints so I’m off the running and swimming and cycling for a few weeks. They seem quite a bit better already. I’m gutted as I had been really enjoying being able to run.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just walk ?

Blinking HOT and dry trails eh!

God I love the hot weather.

🤩🚶‍♂️🌞🌞

Spin
    Free Member

Deuchary Canter at Dunkeld tomorrow. Not expecting to set any heather on fire.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

New tattoo meant no running for 4 days, decided to use it to have a rest week. I bloody miss running though, I seem to run better if I run pretty much every day.

Back into it now, and have to say joining the club has been brilliant, I’ve never experienced a more positive group of people, so different from my bike club experiences.

Best of luck tomoro spin, and stick at it burko. 💪🏻

bob_summers

Bit disappointed after today’s race. Amazing conditions, stunning scenery, organisation, so far so good. First 9km just went up and up, 850m ascent, but I kept a lid on it after the horrors of last week and felt good for the ridge. But… My foot just stopped working. Got steadily worse and I watched the few people who were behind me start to fly past. The descent was grim, legs were good, had loads in the tank, just couldn’t put any weight on the foot. Limped home in 2h50, 21k 1200m all in.
    Can’t even walk now, it’s a mystery, it’s not swollen or tender to touch, feels like the arch, metatarsals. Wondering if it’s just knacked after compensating for the other knee for so long.

Good crowds on the tops though! https://twitter.com/b0b_summers/status/1112415108209274880?s=19

bikebouy
    Free Member

Where was this ?

bob_summers

@Bikebouy – Arantza, about 45 mins from San Sebastian. Route here: https://www.wikiloc.com/trail-running-trails/ii-arantzako-mendi-itzulia-15288801

flyingmonkeycorps

Keep at it @burko73, keep walking if you can’t run, and decent shoes seem to make a difference to injuries. That and building it up steady like.

Bit of a weird random question – does anyone have a dead Forerunner 405 they don’t want (or want to resurrect, I guess). Mine has cracked on the case where the strap attaches so is currently pretty much useless, so if anyone has a case kicking around they don’t want I’d happily take it off your hands – or send you my innards, ‘cos either way it’s useless at the moment.

mogrim

Good crowds on the tops though!

Have to say I prefer the terrain in Madrid, but the local support you get for races in the north is something else!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😂
    Might give it a go next year.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s nuts!

turboferret

Slightly different weather for the Orion 15 this year than I’ve experienced before, certainly no gloves or arm-warmers required on Saturday, sunglasses were the order of the day instead! Due to it being so dry I decided that my Inov8 fell shoes were overkill, and that I could probably get away with XC spikes with short/worn spikes fitted. I did slip in an extra set of insoles to provide a bit of extra cushioning. Went off pretty hard with a few Woodford and Victoria Park boys chasing, but after about 5 miles I was on my own and seemed to be going pretty well. Shoe choice was spot on I reckon, some guys just in road flats but wouldn’t have been ideal in the sections of mud which were still around. Unknown to me the course had been lengthened this year as I was expecting the finish to come a bit sooner than it actually did, but despite and extra 1km distance, I was quicker than last year 🙂 Winning margin was just over 4 minutes, 2nd place was the guy who beat me last year. Pretty pleased with 3:45/km for 24.5km of hilly trails. Funnily last year I came into the race feeling pretty fatigued with training, having run ~75km in the preceding week. This year I had run 110km in the 5 days before the race but felt great, so obviously I’m handling the increased training load fairly well. Hopefully this bodes well for a decent London performance.

bob_summers

Have to say I prefer the terrain in Madrid, but the local support you get for races in the north is something else!

Was thinking that too. It was at least a 15k round trip to stand on the top of that hill, no roads anywhere near. I’ll make a opint of doing a race down in the capital, my niece has just moved down there and her flat is usuall empty at weekends which makes logistics easy

Turboferret, congrats. Bloody hell, don’t think I’ve ever seen 3.45/km even hurtling downhill

MrSparkle

Well done all who raced at weekend including @ajf who did the fearsome Lakes 42.
    I did a bit more recce work for Joss Naylor Challenge. Did a mash up of my route and a mate who is doing an anti clockwise Bob Graham route. We had a claggy day out round Wasdale.
    https://www.relive.cc/view/2252669989
    Video reluctant to namecheck Scafell and Scafell Pike for some reason!
    Yesterday I went up Dollywagon Pike with my wife and the dogs. Only 4 miles but 2000′ ascent.
    My first ever 60 mile week too. :-0

mogrim

I’ll make a opint of doing a race down in the capital, my niece has just moved down there and her flat is usuall empty at weekends which makes logistics easy

Let me know when you’re thinking of coming down and I’ll see what’s on, although a lot of the races sell out fast… like in 30min of opening the registration page!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Arrived in Majorca (Pollenca) on Saturday.
    Aw
    Ran 10k up puig de Maria (that’s the big refuge on the highest point overlooking the village )and and the calvari steps yesterday for 353m of height gained quickly….largely in z5 for the climbs.

Then we rode to the cap de formentor in the afternoon

This morning I ran to the beach in port de Pollenca along the cycle track 7.5k each way the flatness was welcomed and was done mostly in Z2

Rode to a different light house this afternoon.

No run tomorrow – going into the mountains to do sa colabra …..ok might run when I get back – we will see

whitestone
    Free Member

@MrSparkle – that’s a choice of two for your mate 😉 It’s a long climb out of Wasdale whichever way you do the BGR but on a clockwise round you look down on Yewbarrow for a long long time as you descend Scafell.

bob_summers

Let me know when you’re thinking of coming down and I’ll see what’s on, although a lot of the races sell out fast… like in 30min of opening the registration page

CHeers, it’s similar here tbh, I was half expecting to rock up and pay a fiver on the day but all three races I’ve done were full and I only got in via the waiting list!

MrSparkle

@whitestone he’s tried it clockwise twice so has now decided to have a go a/c. We are yet to find an easy way round it… ;0)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another couple of race entries in last night. River Ayr way ultra – 40 miles, bussed to start at Glenbuck, then finishes a couple of miles from my house, be rude not to!. Arran half in June as well, no excuse needed to get on the MV Caledonian Isles….

So, a few halves, 2 ultras and a few local 5k races for me this year, and the one on Arran for something completely different.

Guid.

Spin
    Free Member

he’s tried it clockwise twice so has now decided to have a go a/c. We are yet to find an easy way round it… ;0)

Obviously it’s exactly the same distance and ascent / descent both ways but anti-clockwise seems harder psychologically. A long, long climb up onto Scafell and other significant ascents towards the end. Going clockwise it gets much easier from Great Gable onwards with more descent/flat, shorter climbs and more runnable terrain.

mogrim

CHeers, it’s similar here tbh, I was half expecting to rock up and pay a fiver on the day but all three races I’ve done were full and I only got in via the waiting list!

You tried to get into Zegama yet? 😀 😀 😀

turboferret

I like these shots from the weekend 🙂

MrSparkle

Fair play @nobeer, some good events coming up there. By contrast I will be doing my 3rd race since op last August, tonight. It’s a 5 mile local fell race. It’s free and you get some choccy at the finish. What’s not to like?!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds awesome Sparkles! Where is it?.

bob_summers

Mogrim, Zegama is somewhere down the bottom of my ‘to do’ list, about one up from Ehunmilak!

lunge

Can I say, once again, how much I like running in the rain? 5 miles on the canals into work today, cool air, heavy rain and I had a lovely time. Warm, sunny runs have their place, but there is something quite wonderful about running when the weather is a bit grim.

MrSparkle

@nobeer – https://rossendaleharriers.co.uk/races/pete-hartley-memorial-hill-race/
    Possibly a bit far for you to travel to!

mogrim

Mogrim, Zegama is somewhere down the bottom of my ‘to do’ list, about one up from Ehunmilak!

I did Ehunmilak last year, but it got cancelled after 55km due to storms. Was quite exciting at one point must be said with lightning striking very close by… Still slightly pissed off I didn’t get to do the full race, maybe I’ll give it another go next year.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Weekend spent out by Braemar doing an outdoor first aid course, but managed to sneak in a trail run or two

bob_summers

I did Ehunmilak last year

Bloody hell!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Possibly a bit far for you to travel to!

True!

I’m keen to try a proper old school lakeland fell race this year, though I’ll get my arse handed to me!😂

bob_summers

’m keen to try a proper old school lakeland fell race this year, though I’ll get my arse handed to me!😂

Me too, I’ll be in the UK over easter and at least a fortnite in August, have to break my duck since I’ve joined the FRA

Spin
    Free Member

Me too, I’ll be in the UK over easter and at least a fortnite in August, have to break my duck since I’ve joined the FRA

Still places on the Teenager with Altitude on Easter weekend. I’m told it’s excellent. Haven’t done it before but I am doing it this year.

bob_summers

^ Spin, I do like the look of that but it’s way too much for me at this point, being sensible. There does seem to be space on the Newlands Memorial though. 18.5k/1100m, I can get round that.

What exactly does Experience Required mean?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.