Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • TomB

Spin, enjoy your BG, I’m hoping to go in 2 weeks time, weather permitting. I live locally so can pick and choose a weather opportunity, after abandoning hypothermic at beckhead tarn 2 years ago in heavy rain and gales.

Good luck!

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers TomB, good luck to you too. That’s my training pretty much done. Had a really big weekend this weekend, will do something on Tuesday then a 2 week taper. Planning to go for it on Tuesday 3/7 but I can be flexible for a few days around that.

alanf
    Free Member

Good luck to all those doing big stuff (and small). How was everyone elses running weekend?

I opted for the 3 Lakes classic – it’s not as exotic as it sounds as it’s nowhere near the lake district. It is in fact based at Rother valley country park and the 3 lakes are Rother Valley, Treeton dyke and Ulley res.

It was quite flat at  the start but does get pretty lumpy in the middle section. The majority is off-road too which is nice. It’s quite tough but a great run and well organised by Killamarsh Kestrels. A grand morning too.

This was my June ‘Half mara and above’ race, so that’s 6 down, 6 to go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Best of luck guys, I’m in awe of anyone even contemplating the likes of the BGR….

lunge

Just the usual Parkrun for me, a 22:02 was bang average for me. Run up and back so 10 miles in total for the day, it was quite a pleasant way to start the day. Got a half in 3 weeks so really need to pull my finger out and do some training for that, maybe this week, maybe…

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Managed a good hilly 10km yesterday. Last weekend did a 16 hilly Saturday, then 19 hilly Sunday. Two out and back parts of a big loop. So should get the whole thing at some point.

Got an entry confirmed for the Ring of Steall race in September too. So need to up the hill running now!

on a gear note, does anyone use Dynafit shoes?

Also, has anyone got/tried the OMM aether jacket/smock or montane minimus?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

How did you get on Mr Sparkle?

From being a complete non-runner at the start of the year, I managed a PB in Parkrun on Saturday (high 26’s but it’s a hilly course) and did 12km fell run in the Forest of Bowland at the weekend. Was hard but I can see myself getting into it. Ground is still quite dry and nice and peaty up there but it can be a complete quagmire. It’s more engaging than road running and picking you line etc is quite similar to MTBing. Can’t get used to the downhill running yet though. Any tips?

mogrim

Can’t get used to the downhill running yet though. Any tips?

Practice, practice and more practice 🙂

Tips: if the terrain’s broken try upping your cadence and use shorter steps. Learn to spot what kind of terrain doesn’t move when you land on it, and what does. When you’re tired make sure you keep lifting your feet enough – most of my falls happen on easy terrain when I’m tired and lose my concentration, I catch a toe on a small rock or whatever and down I go…

Anyway, my weekend run was a 38km run/hike in the mountains with some mates, summer has turned up which is both good and bad!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone doing the Night Run at QECP in a few weeks ?

Not sure whether to enter or not… 🤔

duckman

Anybody else doing the Lairig Ghru ultra on Sunday? Signed up in March thinking it would be a good way to celebrate my 50th…What.an.idiot.

rugbydick

Can’t get used to the downhill running yet though. Any tips?

Head up, pick your lines, short steps / high cadence, don’t forget to breath!

Anybody else doing the Lairig Ghru ultra on Sunday?

I’ll be doing kit check in Braemar, so you’d better make sure you’ve got everything…!

But it’s not an ultra… it’s only 43km.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Aha a place to ask for some advice. I’ve tried getting back into running many times (I used to sprint for the city in my teens, then I stopped for one reason or another) I’m now nearly 50 and trying to get back into it, but keep getting the same injuries which stopped me in my tracks every time.

I’ve tried C25K and other slow start programs but eventually, I’ll end up with a soleus and or Achilles problem. I do lots of stretching and yoga so am pretty flexible I’m fit, 100k rides are no problem (I appreciate that’s not running fit!) and don’t find the running hard it’s just the same reoccurring problems which stop me. I like running I just wish I could get past this hurdle.

Could this be shoe related? Although I thought most shoe problems would manifest themselves at the knee or lower back.

I run on flat dirt/tarmac and use a neutral shoe as recommended after a visual analysis at the local running shop, however using the Brooks shoe finder questionnaire suggests I need a support shoe.

swanny853

Tried seeing a physio or someone similar?

My OH had no end of problems with her knees running and could barely manage a couple of km. This after happily running 5k+ most mornings for years. Eventually went and saw the physio, it turned out she had a problem with a different set of muscles being underused and got set a specific set of exercises to strengthen them. She’s been very patiently working up from mostly walking with a little bit of running to mostly running with a little bit of walking (over months) and says the running now feels much better. Soon she can start working some more distance in. She’s happy!

duckman

Rugbydick; over marathon distance is a chuffing ultra.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. I’ve also been told to run with my hips forward. Does that make sense? Will give it a try anyway.

As for mickyfinn’s Achilles, I saw a physio for something similar and it was an issue that stemmed from a tight glute. Apparently, your Achilles and calf are continuously connected by muscle fibres, tendons or ligaments all the way up to your neck. I’m inclined to believe the physio as they had just been on a human autopsy course.

mogrim

Rugbydick; over marathon distance is a chuffing ultra.

I’m with rugbydick here – 50km minimum for it to be an ultra. 43km and 640m climbing is a mountain marathon 🙂

mogrim

I run on flat dirt/tarmac and use a neutral shoe as recommended after a visual analysis at the local running shop, however using the Brooks shoe finder questionnaire suggests I need a support shoe.

Make sure you’re not plodding – try and keep up a nice high cadence, light footfall. I’d avoid support shoes personally, and concentrate on decent technique.

Spin
    Free Member

Got an entry confirmed for the Ring of Steall race in September too.

That’s a great race, I did it a couple of years ago, the first year it ran. Do you know the area well? Superb, airy ridges and varied terrain.

Spin
    Free Member

Best of luck guys, I’m in awe of anyone even contemplating the likes of the BGR….

When a mate first told me about these big rounds I had no idea it was even a thing and couldn’t imagine how people did that sort of thing and if you’d told me 3 years ago I’d have done the Ramsey Round, be gearing up for a BG and have had decent (but not spectacular!) results in some tough races I’d have laughed at you because I wasn’t any sort of runner*. All of that is just the result of putting the work in. That sounds simple and in some ways it is but you need to have a bit of belief and the way to do that is to set intermediate goals that boost your confidence. I didn’t do this consciously but looking back I can see how the events I did led me on to other things. In April 2015 a pal phoned me on a Tuesday to ask if I wanted to do the Highlander Mountain Marathon with him that weekend as his partner had injured himself. I wasn’t even sure what a MM was but he said I’d be fine so I gave it a crack, we missed a check point on the second day but covered a lot of ground. That summer, building on that I ran the Welsh 3000’s which was tough but good. After that someone asked jokingly if I was doing the Glen Coe Skyline. I thought it was just for pros but I had a look at the start list and saw a few names I knew and thought ‘if they can do it so can I’. So I did. At the end of that year I entered the OMM with a pal who’d also done the Skyline. I’d only done the Highlander and he’d never done a MM so naturally we entered the Elite class. By the end of the weekend we’d covered 88k and 6000m+ of climbing and I still felt fairly strong at the end (although I was busted for days after!) at which point I started to think that a Ramsay’s Round or BG wasn’t too much  more than that so why not…

So the moral of this is that if you want to do it (by which I mean REALLY want to do it, not just think it would be nice) then set the train in motion and start building up.

*I was however very used to big days in the hills winter climbing and ski touring so already had decent base fitness and hill skills.

MrSparkle

I survived the Ultra. It was a bloody tough day out. The forecast showers and 25mph changed to gale and soaking deluge on highest part of the course at Harter Fell. My hands packed up due to gloves being soaked (bad circulation), I was shivering like mad as hadn’t changed to thicker waterproof early enough so was going a bit hypothermic. Luckily I was doing it with two female club mates and we’d opted to run round together and looked after each other. It could have been a bit sketchy if you’d got  injured at that point. Luckily once we’d continued the weather improved. Had a really fun decent and then a fairly exposed scramble up Stony Cove Pike. This was the highlight for me, loved it! Checkpoint at Kirkstone Pass saw several retiring. We carried on walking the ups and running the descents and flat. Eventually we got back to Grasmere to finish in about 10 1/2 hours after 33 miles and 10,000′ climb. We were equal 100th place out of 135 finishers with 18 DNF’s. Because we’d taken it nice and steady and looked on it as a challenge rather than a race, I felt fine after. Did an 8 mile trot with the Mrs and dogs doing a bit of Wainwright bagging the day after. Given that I am an incredibly injury prone old crock I am amazed that I came out of this unscathed apart from being tired and very hungry! If this sort of thing is your bag then I can thoroughly recommend this race. Excellent course, well marshalled etc.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Make sure you’re not plodding – try and keep up a nice high cadence, light footfall. I’d avoid support shoes personally, and concentrate on decent technique.

Thanks for the Advice, I don’t think plodding is my issue, and my cadence is high. on a 1 min run 1min walk session my avg pace is still 6min/km.

bikebouy
    Free Member

That’s my Solstice Run done. 22k of hard dry dusty QECP/Head Down loops on the STW and MTB trails. No one out when I started, but plenty of MTB’ers mingling in the car parks when I left .. it must be a Thursday night “thing” .

Its been an age since the trails have been so dusty, and it was hot and glad the forest has grown quickly to cover..

Lovely.

Enjoy it if you are out tonight.

scotroutes

Another “advice please” post.

I’ve been out running very occasionally. My wife has singed up for a marathon (Fort William). As a result I’m chumming her on longer training rides. I did a 28km with her last week, on tarmac, and ended up with a sore middle toe on one foot. I wasn’t aware of any pressure on the nail but cut it a little shorter anyway – at which point some fluid came out of the blister that had developed.

Any advice on treatment and/or avoidance?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Keep it clean, don’t worry about it and it will soon sort itself out. Is my experience.

MrPottatoHead

Most of my blister issues disappeared once I started sizing up on trainers.  Long runs/hot weather can make your feet swell quite a lot.  It’ll vary by brand but I now run in a size 9 wear I’d normally take an 8.  I’d tried 1/2 size up, but still had issues so went for the full size.  Maybe something to think about?

whitestone
    Free Member

@Spin – if you’ve done the Ramsay then you should be OK on the Bob Graham, it’s a lot easier underfoot. I’ve helped out on a couple of Ramsay Rounds, usually the Mamores, but never managed it myself. I had six minutes to spare on my BG!

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers whitestone, I’m pretty confident but a lot can go wrong in 60+miles so it’s not a given!

sirromj

I bought a pair of Merrell Vapor Glove 3 Running Shoes at the end of April. So far a few walks to the shops in them until Saturday when I went for a walk on the beach into town when motivation struck and I ran for 30-45 seconds then walked for a couple of minutes than ran for another 30-45 seconds. Monday and calves still feeling it. Not very impressive I know. Might try again this week! Perhaps before commuting to work on bike. A couple of years ago after fracturing wrist I attempted running and gave myself shin splints which is putting me off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Half marathon post work today, kept it slow as it was bloody hot, beautiful day, stunning views over to Arran.

My longest run since 2012.

Spin
    Free Member

My longest run since 2012.

Good stuff.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I ran Wilmslow half yesterday – had originally been planned as spring marathon training but it was postponed due to weather. Too bloody hot – I’d have preferred the beast from the east to what we got!

MrSparkle

I’ve entered Arran half Marathon which is this Sunday. I’m still a dick, it seems.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent, just get on with it. You’ll either love it/hate it or fall over.

I just did a 26k loop out and back from Walderton (Sussex) over the drovers roads to Up Marden 12C Church, then back down the Downs to Stoughton then up Stoughton Down over to Kingly Vale and over the top back to Walderton… Utterly stunning, baking HOT and I sweat like a good un’.

God I love trial running.

turboferret

North Downs Run 30K on Sunday in beautiful sunshine, just like the London Marathon.  30K of lumpy trails in Kent.

I had tapered a little bit the previous week while on holiday, and did have my eye on the win, but 2nd place last year finished just ahead of me at London, so I was expecting some company.  Went out hard, built a decent gap and didn’t see anyone for the entire run!  Running on my own meant I could pace exactly as I wanted without any pressure to keep up with anyone, so took the uphill nice and steady to keep the HR under control, and tried to keep the speed up everywhere else.  Win by over 5 minutes, and 3 seconds shaved off the 2011 course record from when the route was apparently easier.  This was set by a 2:14 marathon runner, so it suggests that perhaps I need to pull my finger out and actually try during my next marathon 😀

Cheers, Rich

MrSparkle

Turboferret indeed. Well done that man!

ajf
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I have the Saunders Mountain Marathon this weekend and I have pulled a muscle in my back so currently trying to type whilst lying flat on my back.

Don’t think its too bad but its a bit close to the weekend already for my liking. Any tips for a speedy recovery?

MrSparkle

Drugs are bad, m’kay?

Maybe get a physio to dig their thumbs into it and make you cry for a bit.

highlandman
    Free Member

The 2018 West Highland Way Race took place at the weekend, won by David McLure in 16hr 24mins.

7th overall and first female, Nicola Adams-Hendry finished in 17.55.

235 started and 198 finished; at 84%, this is the highest percentage finishing rate we’ve ever had. A cracking day (and a half..) in the mountains and lots of happy new faces joining the Family.  74 runners completed the course in under 24 hours, again a record.  The Great Glen Way race is on in just two weeks, then not long after is the Devil of the Highlands 42 miler, a good first ultra.

2018 Results

stever
    Free Member

I’m liking this thread, some monster achievements great and small. 18 miles of racing for me this weekend – too much for my old bones 🙂

9 mile team trail race on Friday – road start, trail middle, road back. Lovely evening for it in Tattenhall (mid Cheshire) – the worst climb was a steady grind up an old mineral railway track that Strava has down as 100m rise in just over 200m. Ouch. Fitting that we were met at the top by both cameras and the Grim Reaper. Team race is a funny one as you have to stick together and know just how hard to push. We were pretty nicely matched in the end. Sunday was a boiling hot fell race in North Wales (Moel Y Gamelin) – never have I been more grateful for a drink station. Took a gamble with no kit and nearly came unstuck. Another 9 miles and around 2400′ of climbing over 6 hills. Phew. Prize Klaxon: I won some jelly babies!

brant
    Free Member

Had a fun run out on Saturday, with my first attempt at the Welsh 3000ers. We planned a train up, but forgot to book, so got dropped at PyP at 7:15am for a steady walk up Snowdon. Pretty busy on the climb up, but got sorted and off on the route from the top at 8:40. Headed down the ridge and off down to Nant Paris in as near perfect conditions as we’re ever going to see. Met support team on the road at Nant Peris, just before 10am for new gels and water, then headed up Elidr Fawr. Quite some slog up there in the rising heat, and so it continued.

Glyders were OK, but Tryfan descent finished my knees, which just weren’t used to the hammering of the downhills. With a time of about 6h 30 to Ogwen from Snowdon summit, I was pleased with progress, especially as I’d limped down off Tryfan, but it was clear my day was over.

Hoping to head back later in the year for another stab at it. For now, beating DOMS and then getting out and smashing some downhills to build more knee strength.

Thanks to Paul4Stones for his help.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.