• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • brant
    Free Member

>I bought a pair of Merrell Vapor Glove 3 Running Shoes at the end of April. So
    >far a few walks to the shops in them until Saturday when I went for a walk on
    >the beach into town when motivation struck and I ran for 30-45 seconds then
    >walked for a couple of minutes than ran for another 30-45 seconds. Monday and
    >calves still feeling it. Not very impressive I know. Might try again this week!
    >Perhaps before commuting to work on bike. A couple of years ago after fracturing
    >wrist I attempted running and gave myself shin splints which is putting me off.

I’ve been running in Merrel Trail Glove – which looks to be a similar shoe – since November and finally have got used to them (especially after this weekend).

Zero drop is super tough on your calves and achilles in a quite different way to a drop shoe. I have persevered as it gives me so much more ankle stability and I’ve had no pulled calf muscles at all, which I used to really suffer from – probably down to appalling technique which anything with a cushioned heel let me get away with.

sirromj

I’ve been wondering how to fit running into my schedule but it ocurred to me that at this stage I do so little that I could just throw the vapor glove shoes in my backpack and stop somewhere along my commute hide the bike in hedge and run/walk/run/walk for a few minutes and then back on bike. Would be warmed up overall from cycling but should I do anything else to prepare?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone interested in this festival on the Gower on 13-15July? Trail Running and Music ?? Sounds good.

https://www.lovetrailsfestival.co.uk

Spin
    Free Member

Going for the BG on Monday. Not much to pick and choose between the days I had on offer but Monday looks like it should have a bit more of a breeze.

whitestone
    Free Member

@spin – good luck. Current conditions would be way too hot for me, prefer it cool 😉

Spin
    Free Member

I’m trying not to think about that. Living in Inverness I don’t have much choice on dates, at least I shouldn’t get lost! I’m not too bad in the heat but it’s a long time to be baking.

Spin
    Free Member

Just seen this: https://www.inov-8.com/blog/nicky-spinks-double-ramsay-round/

docgeoffyjones

If you like listening to podcast interviews with so-called ‘action-sports’ people, then you might be interested in this interview with ultra runner Ryan Sandes:

His comments and thoughts about ‘pain’ are certainly ‘interesting’:

http://wearelookingsideways.com/podcasts/045-ryan-sandes

(also available in iTunes and includes loads of other interviews with people from snowboarding, skating, climbing, surfing & mtb (Tracey Moseley)

Thanks for posting this link, just listened to this one and really enjoyed it.

surfer
    Free Member

Best of luck Spin. Do you have a tracker??

whitestone
    Free Member

@spin – I was told about Nicky’s double CRR attempt the other day. She’s tough and a bit diesel like in that she can just keep going at the same pace. It’s not a slow pace either – I was talking to her on the Howarth Hobble a few years ago, well she was talking I was reduced to gasping something approximating “yeah” or “no”  before she slowly pulled away 🙂

Anyway, recorded BG attempt or just doing it for the hell of it?

Spin
    Free Member

Anyway, recorded BG attempt or just doing it for the hell of it?

I wont get in the club as I’m running solo, just doing it for me. Charlie is much less fussy, I just sent him a GPS trace and a screen shot of a timer and he put me on the list (no.93).

@surfer
    thanks, no tracker I’m afraid, but I will let you guys know how I get on. Getting excited now!

stayhigh

So ignoring intermittent shin splints (?), I’ve been pain free with my back and hips for a number of weeks now and averaging around 15k over three runs which I’m pleased with.  The issue with my shins is a sharp, deep pain about half way down the inner edge of the tibia and goes most of the way to my ankle.  It seems to be OK if I leave it a few days between runs but it would nice for this to kindly bugger off!

On the plus side I’m starting to feel stronger while running and have increased the distance by a couple of K once a week.  I’ve also entered my first half marathon which is in Greece in October so have a couple of weeks to investigate training plans before I start in earnest.  Well its back to work for me, post night shift run to treat myself to when I escape!

Happy weekend all 🙂

MrSparkle

Good luck Spin.

Arran Half Marathon update: Christ, it was warm. Decided to take it steady from the off. Chatted and encouraged another lad all the way round until 3 miles out when I saw we were going to get caught by 2 others. Got finger out. Finished 16th out of 91. 2nd V50. Only 2 mins slower than my PB and this was a lot hillier than Barcelona! Very happy with that. Plus Arran is ace!

lunge

Birmingham Black Country half for me this weekend, Wolvo to Brum on the canals, pan flat and a prime PB course. Shame it’s forcast for 29 degree heat…

Spin
    Free Member

Well, that was a thing. For whatever reason I didn’t have a good day, never got into a rhythm and felt woozy at Dunmail after which I slowed right up. Caffeine and a powerful desire not to have to go through it all again saw me through in 22.28.

I suspect I’ll look back on it with pride as a day when I toughed it out but right now I’m just glad it’s over!

Thanks for all the good wishes.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Well played that man. Can’t have been easy keeping fluid intake up in this heat. Bravo.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jeeeze, what an effort ☀️

Spin
    Free Member

Cheers. As I was running solo a mate offered to meet me on Rossett Pike and Great gable with water. I can honestly say I wouldn’t have managed without that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Well done @Spin. 22:28 is a decent time, not been many faster this year with the heat.

surfer
    Free Member

@spin Well done, excellent effort, particularly in the heat!

lunge

Runners, prompted by a conversation with a friend recently, what is your least favourite distance to run? And indeed your favourite?

Least – 10k. I just can’t get my pacing right, either feel like I have lots to give at the end still or blow up at 6km and stagger home. Too long to enjoy the pain, to short to be able to go slow enough to avoid it. That I feel like it should be a should be good at makes it even worse.

Most – Whilst I do like a fast thrash at 5k, I relish a half marathon. I find the pacing easy to manage, I like how they feel and they’re long enough to embrace the pain.

turboferret

Awesome effort @Spin, congrats 🙂

durhambiker
    Free Member

Kilian Jornet has knocked a fair chunk off the BG record today, unofficial time of 12:52, knocking 1:01 off the previous (long standing) record

Spin
    Free Member

Just seen that. Well impressive.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Phenomenal Spin, chapeau!.

Lunge – i completely concur, 5k at a decent clip is okay, but I basically feel like a 10k is just too long at 5k pace! Half Mara is a bit more enjoyable as I can slow it back a bit, probably too slow tbh!.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I posted something answering Lunges question but the forum felt it was too profound and deleted it.

So, least is 5k.. too little, haven’t even got in my stride.

Fave, 20k on mixed off-road where there are lots of climbs. Feel like I’ve really fizzed after that.

whitestone
    Free Member

Went up to The Lakes today in part to see Kilian finish. I’d gone for a walk then nipped up to Honister to be told that he’d just gone through and was on his way up Dale Head. This was 11hrs10mins after setting off! Got to Keswick and the market square was pretty busy. By the time he arrived there were close to a thousand there. Chatting to Billy Bland, the previous record holder, he said there were just six there at the finish when he posted his time.

Unofficially 12:52, there may be a minute plus or minus.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Advice, if you have any.

Looking at getting a running vest for soft bottles and phone, gel that sort of thing.

Dont want a heavy nor full back one, just a light clipping minimal one.

Sal/Inov etc do a few models, but it’s typically a brand price-point nightmare.

Advise greatly received, ya.

stayhigh

Looking for some route advice/ideas please.

Heading off to Cornwall for a weeks camping at a place called Dinham Farm which is around 3 miles out from Wadebridge.  I’m planning on a couple of 5k’s and a 10k run while I’m there so I can follow my (rather loose) half marathon training plan and have been looking for some route ideas.  I know that if I head into Wadebridge I can pick up the Camel Trail towards Padstow or from Padstow to Stepper Point looks nice too.  Heading out from the site there is a 5K footpath loop around the local fields so think I have things covered.

Unless someone has a hidden gem they want to share?

thecaptain
    Free Member

strava heat map can be useful for finding routes.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve recently (2 months ago) got back into a bit of running after being out of the army 20 years , I’m upto ten mile runs at around the 9/9.30 m/m, pace wise I’m happy with it,  I’m running 5miles at 8/8.30mm and 3miles at 7/7.30mm but any advice for moving the distances forward now. I feel that a 10 percent jump each time and I’ll take forever to get anywhere but I tried at the end of last year to start up running and got injured doing too much too soon and not listening to my legs,  thanks

Edit BTW. I’m now in recommended orthopaedic insoles and mild stability shoes so footwear I’m all set

lunge

@firestarter, in a word “intervals”. Loads on the web but basically, run faster for short period of time, rest, repeat. For example, if you want to go sub-20 mins for 5k you might do a minute at 6:15/mile then 45 seconds at 8/mile and repeat. It’ll be rather unpleasant and if you’re doing it properly you’ll want to vom when done, but it does work.

firestarter
    Free Member

To be fair I’m more interested in pushing the distance rather than pace. After my holidays I’m signed up to join the local running club and they apparently like their intervals and being sick lol

thecaptain
    Free Member

10% per week (with the occasional rest/pause) is about right really. You’re already at 10, it won’t really take you long to get up to 20 miles. ok, increasing by 15% once or twice probably won’t kill you either.

firestarter
    Free Member

OK cool I’ll stick with what’s working and join the club when I get back they have a club run night and a training night so I’ll work that intoy programme when shifts allow.cheers all

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How many repeats of that interval lunge? Are you meaning to do the full 5k as intervals?

mogrim

Looking at getting a running vest for soft bottles and phone, gel that sort of thing.

I’ve got an Arch Max lightweight vest, very lightweight but I’m not sure it’s available in the UK. Fortunately, Decathlon to the rescue: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/gilet-trail-5l-water-id_8489223.html

You’ll need to add a couple of softflasks to the price, although they’re pretty cheap. Other brands are also available, but I’m not convinced the extra 30gbp you’ll end up paying will actually get you anything other than a bit of brand chic.

And while 5l isn’t a bad size for summer, it’s a bit limiting in winter if you want to carry anything beyond a lightweight windbreaker and your phone. If it’s your only backpack I’d be looking at something a bit bigger – unladen it won’t weigh that much more, you can carry a proper camelbak style bladder, and it’s a lot more flexible.

mogrim

How many repeats of that interval lunge? Are you meaning to do the full 5k as intervals?

(Not lunge, but…)  At a guess for the 1′ on / 45″ off workout you’d probably repeat 8-10 times. This is just an example of an interval workout, and I’m sure lunge won’t contradict me when I say that other plans are available and also benficial 🙂

Just as an example, the last workout I did (last week) with my triathlon club we did 6x1000m intervals, first two at race pace, second two 10% faster, then last two at race pace again. 1 minute recovery between intervals. Most of us are half-ironman distance competitors (ie a half marathon run), so the longer intervals aren’t a problem, but if you’re building up to your first 10K this is probably too far!

Whatever distance you do make sure you’re fully warmed up beforehand – we usually do a 3km run and then some drills before starting. You should also include another 2k or so to cool down after.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My club generally does around 18 mins/5k of intervals, with varying format usually 1-3 min pieces. Hill climbs are less (more like 10 x 1 mins though the slower runners are doing more time in this case). This feels about right to me, it’s not a huge session and suitable for a range of abilities.

surfer
    Free Member

There are a number of ways to skin a cat ref intervals. For Mo the distance, speed and recovery need to be precise. For mortals simply running very hard for a set distance then having a fixed recovery is enough. I know lots of runners who simplify it further by doing fast and slow in a continuous run (fartlek)

dont let the perfect be the enemy of the good and don’t overthink it. The main point is that the last should be as fast as the first and it should hurt, a lot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.