Viewing 40 posts - 6,761 through 6,800 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • lunge

@c_klein87
    September is what, 4 months.
    I reckon someone could get fit enough for a fast marathon in that time, so a slow-ish 20 miler should be easy enough with some level of commitment. 6 mins/km is roughly 10 mins/mile so your pace is about there.
    Training would be, unsurprisingly, relatively straight forward.
    Push the mileage up slowly, along with the number of runs. You want to be aiming for 3 runs per week minimum, ideally 4, one of which will be a longer run. Be consistent, so for instance run every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
    The long run needs to creep up in mileage. You want to get up to circa 18 miles I’d suggest but you only need to do that once or twice. Add a mile, maybe 2 to the distance of your long run each week and you’ll be there.
    I’d also enter a half marathon around 4 or 5 weeks before the event as it’s gives you something to aim for.
    If you have a local running club they’ll make the process a whole lot easier as you’ll have people to run with.
    Basically keep it simple, and just try to run a bit further each week.

crossed

Cool, thanks for the advice.

It might be a bit of a challenge fitting the runs in with other bits like my commutes (7.5 miles each way on the bike) and trying to get out on the MTB now the weather’s good.

I’m a member of a local club but only manage one run a week with them at most as shift work doesn’t seem to fit with their runs.
    The run is with the club but it’s a circular route so if the worst came to the worst I could run what I can then bail at a pub and get a lift home 😂

edward2000
    Free Member

Manchester 10k this Sunday and im hoping for under 45 mins. How many days rest before the race? Im thinking 3. Today i did some short sprints up a hill between some markers, about 3k there and a gentle jog back. What about prep between now and when i rest up? More sprints? I’ve done a number of long runs most Sundays now so im comfortable with the distance.

lunge

Everyone tapers differently.

For a 10k I tend to do my normal weeks running up to Wednesday (my club night, which tends to be hard an fast) and then drop the intensity and mileage down for a few days. For me that’d be doing a gentle 5 miler Thursday, another 5 on Friday with a couple of efforts in and then an easy 3 miles the day before.

But I know I work better when I’m constantly moving, I ran my 10k PB last week 2 days after a 1/2 marathon that was 2 seconds of being a PB. I ran my half PB the day after a 19 mile training run that included a fast (for me) parkrun.

I think most would suggest taking it easy for the rest of the week, Tuesday off, Wednesday easy 5 miles with the odd effort thrown in, Thursday off, Friday a very easy 3 miles and then Saturday off.

thecaptain
    Free Member

crossed, I’d definitely be trying to work some running into the commute, if it’s at all possible. Bike one way, run the other? For my first marathon, I did a weekly long run as a (roundabout) commute. Of course it depends on logistics…

lunge has given great advice apart from that. On the tapering q too.

crossed

@thecaptain I thought about combining a longer run with the commute but I’m not sure how I can make it work.
    The commute is 1.5 miles on the bike, then the bus, then another 6 miles at the other end on the bike. I’m not sure anyone deserves to be sat next to me on the bus after I’ve ran 6 miles 😂
    I’m sure I’ll figure out a way to do it though.

mjsmke

Pretty pleased with my progress since starting running in August. Use to ride 2 or 3 times a week but no walking or running at all, to 2 runs and 2 rides a week now. A shorter 5 mile run and a longer run between 10 and 13.5 miles every week.

Can’t decide between working on increasing speed or adding more distance next.

turboferret

First post on here for quite some time, good to see progress from so many folks.

My A race is coming up on 4 weeks, South Downs Way 100, aim to learn from the mistakes I made in the Thames Path 100 last year and improve.  The main one was nutrition, I’ve been doing quite a lot of my runs taking on fuel as I go to match my intended race plan, to try and get the stomach accustomed to it, hopefully I won’t have a massive puking session and corresponding energy bonk at halfway like I did previously.  It was fascinating to watch the Thames Path Race a couple of weeks ago, and see the winner absolutely dominate the event with a margin of almost 2 hours over 2nd place. He used a waist bag for his compulsory kit, the advantage of this being that the back isn’t covered up, so it can be used to dissipate sweat.  As a June race, I would anticipate the weather being nice, so being able to cool down effectively is going to have a big impact.  I’m going to make a new race vest, but without any pocket on the back, this will just be to hold soft flasks on my upper chest.  I’ll sew some big zipped pockets into the back of my shorts to carry everything else.

Training has been relatively consistent, but haven’t hit the volume I was managing last year – working in France for 3 days most weeks has an impact, and I think I’m probably on average at least 90 minutes down on sleep every day…staying awake on the M20 to and from the Eurotunnel is my biggest challenge 🙁

Hopefully it’ll go to plan, the plan being as ever quite ambitious 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Unfortunately I am not one of those making progress – yet another injury set-back. The IT band issue I mentioned a couple of weeks ago – I thought it had settled down a bit so went for a very short and gentle run (just two miles), it flared up badly and I have been hobbling around all week. I have a physio appt on Monday so hopefully she’ll sort it. When I spoke to her she said ‘is it your right leg again’? Clearly I am doing something wrong with my technique as yes it is, of course it is.

alanf
    Free Member

@Turboferret – glad to hear you’re still in the mix and aiming high as ever. Hopefully circumstances are in your favour and you get a good crack at it (out of interest, what is the target – you don’t need to answer that but I think I can guess)

DrP

One of my first times commenting in a running thread…
    I’ve never really been a runner, but my OH was into it so started with her and enjoyed it!
    Have done 3 half marathons now (running alongside her..).. two of tehm at jsut over 2 hours, the most recent was 1.58.
    I reckon on my own I could aim for about 1.40 – would like to give that a go one day.

We both entered the Brighton Half again in feb next year
    But this week I’ve also entered the Brighton marathon!! I’m nervous and excited..
    Will really have to try to get long runs in i think.
    My plan is going to follow a degree of structure – basically every thursday I’ll drop the kids at school and run the 20ish km back home..adding in more km as the training builds up. Will aslo try to fit in a 10km run in the week as well…

Hopefully this running and a good background fitness should be adequate??!!

DrP

thecaptain
    Free Member

Good luck turbo, have to say I’ve never fancied a long race in the middle of summer. I know someone doing the Windermere 10 (marathons) in 10 (days) and though I was thinking of just doing the single marathon next sunday it’s just way too hot for me right now let alone in a month. Lovely day for a gentle jog though 🙂

turboferret

@alanf the course record is 14:03, the race report makes for interesting reading and obviously things have moved on in the past 8 years, but I want to knock a substantial amount off that, and off my 13:43 from last year.  I’d certainly be very happy with ~13:30, but it could depend on conditions on the day.  If it’s scorching, a conservatively paced win in a slow time would be better than course record pace for halfway then DNF.

I generally go pretty well when it’s warm, probably something to do with being scrawny so having a good volume to surface area ratio and little excess insulation.  The ‘warm’ London marathon in I think 2017 or maybe 2018 I thought was perfect while others were wilting, but 4 times the distance is a slightly different matter.

I’ll try and remember to stick a tracking link in this thread for everyone to watch me blow up spectacularly!

thecaptain
    Free Member

DrP, I think you will struggle on one run a week. It really doesn’t condition the legs adequately. That’s my experience anyway, I’m not a natural runner and struggled a bit at the start but it has come with the miles.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Hey Turboferret.
    What day is your sdw race on? I’d love to come and watch it.
    I came across this event a fair few years ago whilst riding a big 24hr loop incorporating the sdw from Steyning to Eastbourne. I started seeing runners around 8pm after joining the route and soon ascertained what was occurring. Rode in the same direction as them deep into the night, the quality of the athletes improving as I moved up the field. I was struck by the power of the occasion and its stayed with me for ever.

alanf
    Free Member

@turboferret – that is an interesting read, and yeah, taking the conditions into account and completing sounds much better than record pace and DNF. I’m sure you’ll work out the strategy for the day though. I would to see a tracker and keep up with progress.

turboferret

@rollindoughnut it’s the 11th June, starting at 5am in Winchester, aim to be in Eastbourne by around 6:30pm depending on conditions.  Event website is here if you want to read more about it.  These 100 mile races are quite something – last weekend I went to Reading to run with some of my buddies who were en-route to Oxford around midnight, almost like a festival atmosphere at times.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I had a look at the website. Still looks an incomprehensibly long way. Heck it’s taken me longer to RIDE the SDW than the fastest time.
    Since seeing it I’ve harboured a desire to do it one day. Only started running a year ago but have been enjoying parkruns and did my first half marathon this spring (1.29). I’ve been focusing on an upcoming mtb stage race but when that’s done in 6 weeks time I’m going to spend more time running. I think a trail half then full marathon would be a good way to progress.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Speaking of which…
    Can anyone recommend me a trail race in the SE of England around September/October? I like hills btw.

reeksy

DrP, I think you will struggle on one run a week. It really doesn’t condition the legs adequately. That’s my experience anyway, I’m not a natural runner and struggled a bit at the start but it has come with the miles.

Horses for courses, maybe. When i was training for a marathon obstacle race I couldn’t manage to run too much because it wrecks my legs, so started big commutes in the week and runs at weekends. I got quite comfortable at running a 20+km trail/mud run once a week with exercises at the end of each km.

turboferret

@rollindoughnut I’ve run the Bacchus Marathon a few times, in the spirit of the Marathon du Medoc, it’s now just a half and 10k, hilly, wine involved, most treat is as more a drinking than running event, but you can put more emphasis on one aspect.  https://www.run-bacchus.com/ Maybe not quite what you had in mind – the previous organiser had a bunch of excellent races starting at Denbies vineyard, but they went out of business and this was the only race which has survived under a new owner.

On the subject of progressing up distances, I wouldn’t rush, enjoy your running and extend the distance when you think you’re ready.  I’m more at the compete that than complete mindset, so I’ve wanted to be at the pointy end of the field, so you might be of a different opinion…

dogbone

Has anyone had issues with the sciatic nerve and their knee? I stretched pre-run (not something I normally do) and 3 weeks later my knee still doesn’t feel right. Top back calf / behind knee / back of lower thigh ache. Have a physio booked for next week but not certain what they can do.

johndoh
    Free Member

Injury update – the physio thinks I may have a Baker’s cyst (knee is slightly swollen but it’s certainly not massive). Not something I have heard of and hopefully it’s just over-useage and I can self-medicate as opposed to anything more nefarious like arthritis (which I doubt given how quickly it appeared).

Pass me the industrial ibuprofen…

lunge

First ultra tomorrow and the niggly groin that I picked up at a 10k race a couple of weeks ago is not where I want it to be.
    The hope is that, as it only hurts when I run fast, that it’ll be fine at ultra pace.
    Tune in tomorrow afternoon to see how it works out…

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@turboferret. Best of luck. Will be interesting to see how you get on.

@lunge
    . Wouldn’t be a proper day before an ultra if you didn’t have a niggle. Hope it goes well!

mogrim

@lunge
    . Wouldn’t be a proper day before an ultra if you didn’t have a niggle. Hope it goes well!

Exactly and +1 🙂

mogrim

So how did it go @lunge?

Good run today, around 25km and just under 2000m+. Post covid, or at least that’s what I’m blaming for my poor showing during the first half of the outing 🙂

lunge

Well then, that was a hell of a day. My first ultra and I absolutely loved it.
    40 mile course which ended up being 44 due to me missing a turning and done in 6:43, well inside the 7 hour goal I set myself.
    So much more relaxed and enjoyable than a marathon, I’ll definitely be doing more of those.
    Also, and I accept this isn’t out of the textbook, but it seems the best way to fix a niggly groin is to run 40+ miles. I felt said niggle for the first 5 miles and now it is gone.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

That’s so cool lunge. I’m really new to this lark but went out and ran for almost 2hrs in the woods today. So much more interesting than on the road. Really engaging.
    Man my legs get sore though. Tons of cycling fitness but very little running. Went super easy but still.

nobbingsford

I ran a 10k trail run near Alnwick Castle yesterday and totally surprised myself by getting a PB of 45:07 and coming first in my age category!

I say surprised, as I’d had to lay off running altogether for a fortnight, three weeks earlier, so hadn’t really prepared myself for it at all.

I also decided to forget everything I’ve read about tapering and do our local park run the day before the race.

So from this I’ve learned:

–  Taking a couple of weeks off isn’t the end of the world

–  A short, easier run the day before a race might actually loosen the legs off quite nicely

–  Courses described as ‘undulating’ are actually likely to be simply up and then down a bloody big hill!

Had a cracking morning and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Next up is the Great North 10k at the beginning of July…

lunge

@rollindoughnut, trails are so much more fun than road, I’d argue that good singletrack is as good running as it is on a bike. 2 hours is a cracking run as well, awesome work.

@nobbingsford
    , good work, everyone love a PB.

nobbingsford

@lunge cheers!

Daft question time, based on your very impressive first ultra: when you run these ridiculous distances, is it non-stop, or do you stop/walk for a bit?

mogrim

I’ve done quite a few ultras now, all of them mountainous, and they’ve all included a fair amount of walking. As for stopping: I try and minimise it, as it’s very easy to spend 10 minutes here, another 15 there, and before you know it you’ve added an hour (or more) on to your time. So at the smaller feed stations I usually stay on my feet and try to be in and out as fast as possible. But most of the ultras have at least one bigger stop, with hot food, and quite often the chance to leave a drop bag. Here I’ll stop and have a bit of proper food, slap on some more sun screen, maybe change my socks or t-shirt, etc.

lunge

Daft question time, based on your very impressive first ultra: when you run these ridiculous distances, is it non-stop, or do you stop/walk for a bit?

@nobbingsford
    , as Mogrim says above, there was definitely some walking, certainly in the 2nd half anything with any kind of gradient was walked up, but I tried to keep moving.
    I tried to keep stops at aid stations to a minimum. Filled up the bottles, grabbed some food and got on my way. I avoided sitting down as I’d have never got up again! I had one stop where I changed some kit and was there for maybe 10 or 12 mins, but that was the longest I was stationary for the whole event.

nobbingsford

Thanks both – one of those questions it seems stupid to ask – but I’ve never been afraid of asking stupid questions!

So ultras…..maybe  one day!

mogrim

Most of the races I do round here have bits where you end up walking – at least the ones that are actually up in the mountains do. Sometimes it’s due to the gradient, sometimes it’s the terrain, and it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve had to walk downhill either. The run I did this weekend was “only” 25km, but I probably spent about a quarter/third of that hiking.

piemonster

Whoever recommended Runderwear, thank you.

Literally saved my bollocks

Their Ultralight shorts are excellent too.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Hey guys. Need to tell someone!
    I’ve been wondering what comes next after my sole focus Alps Epic mtb race in June. Want to focus on running for the rest of the summer after a nice break. Have done a half marathon so was looking at a marathon, but nothing was quite ticking a box for me. Then the Beachy Head marathon appeared in my Facebook feed. Hmmmm…
    On today’s clubride, I got chatting to a lady who’s a very capable runner (3hr12m marathon, 3.45 marathon at the end of an Ironman!). She described the Beachy head marathon to me. “I know those hills!” I exclaimed. I spend a lot of time on the eastern end of the Downs. I love that area. Hell I even go down just to sleep; have bivied at Itford Hill, Long man hill, Friston and Cuckmere Haven in the last year.
    Got home from the ride and signed up.
    It’s in mid October. Perfect. Love that time of year.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anyone doing the brewdog run to dogtap next weekend ?

Boring as sin route but the company food and beer are great.

Last shake down before I do the celtman support run in a few weeks.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I’ve been following a marathon plan to get fit for an ultra. More to give some structure for my summer running than anything. Given the hilly nature of the course would I be daft swapping the weekly speedwork for hill repeats? I still have a weekly tempo but lack of hills made me think about getting in some specificity.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,761 through 6,800 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.