Viewing 40 posts - 6,721 through 6,760 (of 6,856 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • Premier Icon nostrils
    Free Member

PSA – Reebok Energy Floatride Energy 4 £52.50 from their site, use promo code SPRING. Free postage too.

Ordered a pair – never had a pair of Reebok’s but they seem to get good reviews.

Premier Icon flyingmonkeycorps

Does anyone know Dorset particularly well? We’re staying in Wimborne Minster in a couple of weeks, any tips for nice 10kish trail runs (ideally from the door, but can drive if needed) would be much appreciated.

Premier Icon lunge

Morning all,
    Need a bit of help on how to taper for back to back events.
    I’ve decided, somewhat on a whim, to enter a marathon on the 2nd May. I’ve done this for no other reason than I feel in good form off the back of some big mileage and fancy a crack at a good time.
    This is all well and good, bar the fact that I have an ultra 3 weeks afterwards, which is what my training has been mostly geared towards.
    I clearly need to back of a bit to be fresh for the marathon, but I also don’t want to jeopardise the ultra.
    Any suggestions? Particularly around the weeks between the marathon on the ultra?
    Thanks all.

Premier Icon mrsheen
    Free Member

Could you use the marathon as your last or penultimate long run? Or take a week off after then one week normal intensity then mini taper.

Premier Icon lunge

That’s the plan, the marathon is the last long run, albeit, it’ll be (a lot) faster than ultra pace.
    I guess I’m concerned I’ll potentially end up with a 5 week taper (2 before the marathon, 3 after it and before the ultra) and don’t want to lose to much form in that period.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

25m 7500ft yesterday, cracking day out.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Lunge, I’d be tempted to wind back any ambition on the marathon tbh.

Premier Icon lunge

I’d be tempted to wind back any ambition on the marathon tbh.

No question that is the sensible approach, but realistically, that won’t be happening…
    I’ve only entered it as I’m in good shape and fancy giving it a nudge…

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

What’s your aim for the ultra? If it’s finishing and not making a fool of yourself by coming last, I don’t see any major problem.

Premier Icon lunge

@mogrim, aim for the ultra is as you say, finish and not make a fool of myself. It’s a 40 miler, I’d like to do it in 7 hours, but am not hung up on that at all. It’s my first ultra so is more about learning if I enjoy it and how my body reacts
    I’d like to see how close I can go to 3 for the marathon if that helps.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

How about just not tapering for the marathon bar a few easy days beforehand.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

@mogrim, aim for the ultra is as you say, finish and not make a fool of myself. It’s a 40 miler, I’d like to do it in 7 hours, but am not hung up on that at all. It’s my first ultra so is more about learning if I enjoy it and how my body reacts

I really wouldn’t worry about it too much then – my only concern would be getting injured in the marathon, but assuming you’ve done the training that isn’t that likely. After the marathon take a couple of days off, say midweek go out for a short run, maybe do a 15K easy trail run on the following weekend, your usual weekday training, and the following weekend do a 20-25K trail run before tapering properly.

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

@lunge – carry on as normal until a week before the mara then have an easy week but don’t go full taper, just make the runs easier and drop your mileage a little but not loads. Go do your mara and see what happens. Rest and then pick things up again but don’t get hung up on killing yourself before the ultra. The ultra will take care of itself if you’ve done the hard miles already, which I think you have. Is it Dukeries that you’re doing? If so it’s pretty flat, well really quite flat. I did the 30 a few years ago after a mara 4 weeks before and did OK at Dukeries, the mara was my aim though so Dukeries was just something to do post mara. You’ll be well under 7 hours for the Ultra.

Premier Icon lunge

@alanf, thanks, that seems sensible, and similar to what I had on mind. I tend to do well on high mileage, so even ignoring the timings, a long taper is not for me anyway.
    It is indeed Dukeries, and as you say, it seems relatively tame by ultra standards. Worst case I can walk large chunks of it.

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

Two big races about 3 weeks apart should be ok, I’ve done similar though it was 4 weeks (actually 27 days) in my case from marathon to 3 peaks. Just aim for some gentle jogging building up to another long run before a short taper, you shouldn’t be knackered and shouldn’t need a big taper for the ultra.

If you’re aiming for a proper time in the marathon, then taper properly for that. The second race is then a bit of a freebie, you get to complete it without another big training cycle. I PBed in the marathon and then had a decent run in the 3P considering fell running isn’t really my thing. I had done quite a lot of big fell runs throughout the marathon training though, the 3P was not entered on a whim (with its advance entry date you have to commit early).

I’ve done a pair of marathons 6 weeks apart (Mancs+Bentham) and am considering another now which will come in at 7 if I do it (Windermere). They are easy to schedule, though there is enough time to really lose condition if you try!

Premier Icon dashed
    Free Member

Big, big day by my standards yesterday. Ran the Edale Skyline route in the Peak District. 37k and about 1600m elevation plus a brutal wind that was gusting up to 50mph. Stupid day to do it really but it’s been on my list for a good while.

Longest I’ve ever run by some margin! When I say run – lots of walking on the climbs and also on some of the more exposed bits due to the wind. Feel it this morning but not as bad as it could be!

Premier Icon lunge

That sounds awesome @dashed.
    I’m currently on holiday nest Hathersage and the wind was nuts yesterday. I can understand that being a tough day out.

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

After my London marathon DNS last October due to a calf tear I have been steadily building back up to something like some form. Yesterday at the Blackpool marathon I managed to get almost back to where I was with a time that gives me a championship entry for 2023. I’ve kept things fairly low key and not done as many races as I would normally partly from a fear of getting another injury and also not wanting to race myself out of form. It seems to have paid off and I’m glad my strategy seems to have worked. It was a tough race as the Blackpool sea front is not quite as flat as you would imagine and the wind was pretty bad along the course, coupled with it being two laps of the sea front (four times up/down) it was mentally and physically challenging. All in all, I’m very happy with the day.

Premier Icon lunge

Lovely stuff @alanf, always good to hear of people being back on track. Championship time is what, sub 2:40?
    A club mate did Blackpool yesterday and got a 25 minute PB, safe to say he thinks it’s quick course!

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

Thanks @lunge – yes 2:40 is the Champs time so managed to get under that. Not quite a pb for me but happy with my run. I had the fear towards the end that I was being caught but as it turned out I was just imagining it, although it probably gave me a bit of a boost towards the finish. Undoubtedly a fast course but the wind was so strong in places it was blowing me off the tarmac onto the grass!

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Assess/diagnose my (latest) injury please…

Discomfort around my knee – almost like a horizontal ring around the back/bottom of one knee joint and it hurts more if I put sideways pressure on it (ie, when sitting cross-legged). It had been niggling me for a while then I did a Ninja Warrior assault course (surprisingly good fun actually) and it has made it worse.

Premier Icon lunge

@johndoh, isn’t the default answer to that kind of discomfort “IT Band”?
    Foam roller and stretching for the win.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Hmm, yes that sounds about right for my symptoms. Another injury lay-off for me then 🙁

Premier Icon dirtyrider
    Free Member

Hi all,

would anyone be interested in completing my questionnaire for a research project for uni please, it’s for people who completed parkruns pre and post covid

A participant information sheet and consent form is attached

Participant Information Sheet
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5look0mcvdi7rt8rfo6uo/Participant-Information-Sheet.docx?dl=0&rlkey=lca33vf1teb4tuf2b3hhropz6

Link to Online Questionnaire
    https://sprw.io/stt-48240a

Link to Word Document Version of Questionnaire
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wcs5mtzqjrn0y5fmg0bmr/Dissertation-Questionnaire.docx?dl=0&rlkey=w9b308ad1focrdw05nfsifwwu
    Many Thanks

Dan

Premier Icon lunge

Right then, niggle time, textbook maranoia.
    Discomfort on the inside of my right knee, the leg which I know collapses in a bit when I run. Generally appears when I run with a bit of pace and feels like my knee needs to click. Not painful, just uncomfortable and feels like it affects my stride pattern.
    I suspect it’s runners knee.
    Any suggestions on how to get rid of this ideally before Monday, or if not by late May?

Premier Icon edward2000
    Free Member

Lunge – You want Jeff Cavaliere AtheleanX.coms youtube channel.

Fact – Every runner should watch the above videos.

Premier Icon lunge

Interesting race day in Milton Keynes for me yesterday where I learned a good few things.

For context, the event has both a marathon and a half and the course splits at around 7 miles. I had entered the marathon but ended up doing the half.

1. You can’t blag the mental game of a marathon. Maybe you can blag the good legs but you need to have your head round doing the distance. And today, as soon as I got in the car to MK I knew my head wasn’t in it. The option was there to do the marathon distance, I’d argue that was the plan, but by the start line I was already saying “let’s see how you feel at 10k”, by 10k I already knew the half was enough.
    2. And that’s OK as I’m not sure I like doing marathons anyway. I’ve always enjoyed the training and the build up but never the event. I’ve enjoyed pushing myself in the build up, and getting the miles in, fast club runs, and shorter races. But the main event, meh. Maybe it’s time to accept that it’s just not my distance. And that’s ok.
    3. I do still love a half. Today was hard, strange course and a small field (most were doing the full distance) meant it felt like a slog. But a 1:24 is not to be sniffed about.
    4. I’m now really looking forward to my ultra. Just plodding along in the countryside at a comfortable pace, rather than thrashing myself to do sub-7 minute miles, sounds really appealing right now.
    5. Maybe the fast marathon will call me again in the future, but for now, it’s time to look at other things. I’m still adamant I’ve got a sub-3 in there somewhere. And one day, likely in Manchester, I’ll do it.
    6. Let’s ignore the elephant in the room that is Snowdonia marathon on October…

Premier Icon alanf
    Free Member

@lunge – it looks like you knew the mara wasn’t on the cards and talked yourself out of it. Indeed a marathon is not something you can blag. Starting under prepared/trained is going to be a painful experience, but equally going in there knowing you are unlikely to get out of it what you want can be a soul destroying and lonely place. You made the right decision and you can now look forward to your ultra. The other point about it not being your distance is probably right too. Why put yourself through the pain and punishment if you’re not going to enjoy it. Do the events/races that make you happy and forget the other stuff. Still, a 1:24 half is a decent effort given you weren’t actually going for that, so take some comfort in knowing the training paid off. Top work.

Premier Icon root-n-5th
    Free Member

Hello all,
    Some good running and come backs happening which is good to see. @lunge, sounds like a sensible option to do the half.
    You should get well under 7 hours for the ultra, as I got 7:30 for a 40 miler but only 750m climbing. Enjoy the day and your feet will follow.

I did North Dorset Village Marathon on Sunday. Prep involved an ultra 1 month ago, new job, holiday, university exams and coursework, and riding up snowdon the week before. Also had body aches and general crap feeling on the days leading up to it.
    Put all that to the back of my mind and started off dead slow on this hilly course – 300m climbing but always up or down. Ran to heart rate, keeping it in zone 2 for as long as possible, which lasted to about half distance. I was surprised as I didn’t think I had the fitness. Kept going and at 20 miles I still had some legs and pushed on. Managed negative splits and a pb of 6 mins to come in at 3:41. My last 5k in the race was a sub-25 min, which was a 5k target only two and a half years ago!
    I was very happy with that and I think I’ve found my way of cracking the 26 miler. I know loads in the club who have done marathons lately, gone off too fast and blown up in the last 6 miles. Start slow, save the legs and push at the end. It’s easier to make back time at the end. I must have passed 35 people in the last 6 miles, and it was a field of only 250.
    Legs feel it now, though.
    Keep at it guys and gals.

Premier Icon claudie

Did my first ever park run this morning. What a brilliant event. Its free, welcoming, inclusive, and fun. Got a clap from all the runners for it being my first park run! I did learn that starting near the back is not perhaps the best idea as it took quite a while to politely work my way through the slower runners but it made it very sociable as the back markers are all having a good crack! I’ll be back …

Premier Icon lunge

Love parkrun @claudie, it’s awesome seeing people of different levels all in one place.

Premier Icon nobbingsford
    Free Member

Great to read about so many of you getting back into it after injuries.

I’m currently waiting for what I think is Achilles tendonitis to bugger off so I can get back to it as well.

Did my first half marathon (Gateshead) a couple of weekends ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, though it was pretty undulating and I found it tough.

Shouldn’t probably have run on a niggly ankle,  but I’d been looking forward to it for weeks, so stupidly just ran through it.  I could ignore it fine while running, but looked like I was walking with a false leg after I’d finished!

Anyway, I shaved about 3 minutes off my best practice run time to come in at a little over 1:42.  Well chuffed with that.

Not so chuffed that I’m now out of it for probably another week 😕

You live and learn!

Premier Icon lunge

Good work @nobbingsford.
    I always take the view that you train for these events so if you get injured whilst doing them that’s OK. It’s when you get injured in the buildup that is annoying.

Related, anyone know how to fix a slightly tight groin in 2 weeks…???

Premier Icon fazzini

Well you lot are all ‘pro-runners’ so I’m more than moderately scared to pose a question 🤔😂…

I have been doing the C25k for a while now (on and off due to other stuff) – I’m at week 5 and my next outing is the biggie for me – 20 minutes of running. Now that might not sound a lot, but in my life I have never run for 20 minutes in one go. Ever. I play cricket – short bursts, and formerly played American Football – again short bursts. I cycle though not enough. I am overweight and under-fit, and asthmatic though that is well controlled. So my question…

I seem to get an excruciating pain in my upper left chest (behind where a pectoral should be (not in my case 😉) when I get to about 3 minutes of effort. I’m sure its a ‘stitch’ like issue, and wondered – has anyone else experienced this and what did you do? I can’t slow down as I barely ‘run’ above walking pace anyway. I drink fluids before going out etc. It does ease off once running is completed and I’m on the warm down, but will still remain to less of an extent during any walking periods between running segments.

So, achilles tendinitis.

I did a long (for me) 14k run on Saturday. About 60% offroad, moderately hilly with a good mix of terrain. Felt fine during the run apart from the tiniest of knee twinges but afterwards for a couple of days my achilles were super tight, to the point I was hobbling around. Walking and stretching helped, and they’re almost back to normal today (Tuesday) with quite a bit of walking in the intervening days.

This often happens whenever I do longer (10kish or more) runs.

I stretch regularly, and I’ve started to introduce heel lifts into my daily routine too. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Any stretches I might have missed? Foam roller techniques?

I appreciate it’s not gonna change overnight but any tips appreciated. I feel like I’m getting somewhere with my running and I’d like to keep at it.

Premier Icon lunge

I seem to get an excruciating pain in my upper left chest (behind where a pectoral should be (not in my case 😉) when I get to about 3 minutes of effort

I had this when I started and found that really concentrating on my breathing helped. It almost felt like the muscles were in spasm so forcing them to move in rhythm with my breathing got them back in line. More generally, don’t eat or drink to much before you run, you don’t want much sploshing around!

So, achilles tendinitis.

Rest and get it back to full strength.
    Then initially lots of slow heel raises and heel drops.
    Then start to load. Jumping off a small step, then jumping back up on the bad leg. Hopping on a soft surface works too.
    And then slowly ease back into running, easing the distance up.

Premier Icon surfer
    Free Member

I stretch regularly, and I’ve started to introduce heel lifts into my daily routine too. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Any stretches I might have missed? Foam roller techniques?

I wouldnt do any of those things. I have no issues at the moment but have been plagued on and off over the last 40+ years of running. I wrote a post ages ago with my thoughts so I have copied and pasted below:

Ice and active rest. Unless it is very painful when moving around try to move it as much as possible.

As above avoid NSAIDS for now and dont stretch. It does nothing for any injury but Achilles injuries can be made worse by doing it.

I dont suffer now (because my training is so light) but when I did I found (with a small number of exceptions over the years) that it was an injury that with care you could train through. Pain should be your guide but I found that after warming up it often didn’t worsen during the session and in spite of continuing to train it still cleared up after a while, icing at least twice a day I found helpful. Yours may be different and I wish you luck but the comment above shows that seeing a professional doesn’t always provide a good answer.

Its a bit out of context but my experience of seeing specialists is that they feel obligated to poke and prod it. I have never known anyone benefit from massage, rubbing etc of the achilles and all my years of running with and being around runners I have never heard anyone say anything good about somebody “touching” their achilles. Almost all I know have recovered to some extend or learned to live and manage it. It is an unusual injury in that my experience some athletes actually still compete at a high level with a degree of pain/discomfort.

Depending where it is (top of achilles or heel) then the eccentric drops (alfredson protocol) may help and as Lunge says if it is too painful to train then when recovering do hops then bounds to mimic the impact of running (which is very large) and that should help prepare you for running.

Cheers for that both – sounds not a million miles from what I already do tbh (I need to get better at icing though).

I’m pretty sure it’s not too bad, it usually loosens up after a few days anyway as long as I’m reasonably active – currently on holiday which has helped as been out and about every day, sitting at a desk all day is definitely not good.

Premier Icon c_klein87
    Free Member

had my first official ultra distance race on saturday in Marlborough, fun course but self nav so had to concentrate! took a few wrong turns. Happy with performance as had a slight niggly ankle, think a mild sprain. got round in 5hr16 good for 21st. legs recovered well generally, if it wasnt for ankle could have ran monday. onwards to a June for next race on the north devon coast path, hopefully work on my leg cramps!

Premier Icon crossed

I’m currently at the point where I’m running a couple of times a week, usually around 5k each time at around 6m/km
    I’m looking at doing a longer group run at the end of September, it’s 20 miles and I’ve been told the pace will be 10-11 minutes/mile.

What’s the best way to train to get up to doing the longer distance by the end of September?

I tend to do quite a bit of riding but only limited running, is the goal achievable without killing myself?

Viewing 40 posts - 6,721 through 6,760 (of 6,856 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.