Viewing 40 posts - 4,561 through 4,600 (of 7,710 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • dashed
    Free Member

@root-n-5th – you’ll shave a load off that with fresh legs and some concept of what you can achieve I reckon. If I known I’d be only 15s away then I’d have pushed harder around 6-7k when I dropped loads of time. But my previous PB was 47m something so I had no idea I’d actually get that close… I also need to find a flatter route – not big hills but just enough to sap your legs in a couple of spots!

Anyway, nice 10-miler along the river this morning for me at about 6ish before the crowds got up. Something very satisfy about being up and running at that time in the morning.

mogrim

Back running again after a 45 day enforced stop, and it’s great. I’ve been taking it easy to avoid injury with a couple of 30 min runs on Saturday and Monday, and today did a 10km run first thing. And it was lovely out: 12C, early morning sun, and no wind.

And as has been commented by the rest of you in the UK, the amount of new runners out there has been both amusing and surprising. Don’t know how long most of them will last, but it’s good to see more runners (and also clearly new cyclists) about 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have to get out for a run this week, committed to club pairs challenge and I’ve been paired with a 13 year old who’s pretty quick!.

Not run outside since lockdown started, ain’t gonna be pretty.

mark88

I’m one of these lockdown runners – quite enjoying it but I’ll be back on the MTB and gym as soon as I can!

My old rugby club is doing time trials which is keeping it interesting – submit your time then and it’s adjusted for weight to give the big boys a chance.

21.44 5km at 96kg hurt. Really surprised myself with that, I hadn’t gone under 23 before.

1 mile challenge this week. any tips? Pace it? Or go hard and hold on?

GrahamS

Hello all, just popping in for some sympathy.

I’ve been doing CouchTo5K (Public Health England app with Jo Whiley crooning in my ear). I’m on Week 5 and up to 5K total distance but still 30mins with a mix of running and walking.

Went out yesterday, got what felt like a cramp in my right calf early in the run. Decided to push on through it (mistake). Completed the run but still in pain. Got worse as I got home to the point that I couldn’t walk on it and it was throbbing as I was sat still.

Looks like I’ve injured my achilles at the transition to the medial gastrocnemius.

Really pissed off. I was just starting to make some proper progress with this whole running thing and now if I ever get back to it I’ll be right back to square one. 😫

lunge

1 mile challenge this week. any tips? Pace it? Or go hard and hold on?

Warm up properly, you want a good sweat on before you do it.
    1 mile is longer than you think it is, if you go hard it’s a brutal distance to run in my experience.
    Have a route planned that is 1.1 miles, know exactly where it starts and ends so you’re not looking at your watch or phone. Also know roughly where half way and 3/4 of the way are.
    I’ve only ever run that distance in a group, but I generally start hard, get to half way and feel I can;t hold it much longer but know that you’ve got little over 3 mins to go so push on a bit more. If you don’t want to vom as you cross the line then you’ve got another 10 seconds in the locker!
    If you can do a 21:44 5k then you’re running at 7 mins/mile, so a 6:30 for a mile is not unachievable.

mark88

Have a route planned that is 1.1 miles, know exactly where it starts and ends so you’re not looking at your watch or phone. Also know roughly where half way and 3/4 of the way are.

I’ve made a new Strava segment especially. I normally use KM, so good shout on noting 1/2 and 3/4 points.

There’s been a few sub 6 times posted already, so hoping to be inside 6:30.

Now to wait for the park to be quiet enough to not have to run it as a slalom.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well, that was interesting.

I’ve only ran on the treadmill during lockdown, but in a moment of weakness, signed up to a club 5k TT.

Did a wee 2 mile warm up (eyes all wobbly, a side effect of only staring at netflix on an ipad for 6 weeks).

Then into it, 5k, tried to pick a flatish route, felt better than I expected, managed a PB by 11 secs, 20.31.

Which only pisses me off as I now know I had a sub 20 in my legs before lockdown, but never had a go.

Oh well, back at it, I’ll get more running in now, now that Nicola is letting us out more often.

Next week’s TT is 10k, PB from 2 years ago is 44.27, I should get a couple of mins inside that…🙏🏻

surfer
    Free Member

What Lunge said. I used to race anything from 800 upwards and the shorter races are the hardest. You have to be brave and go out quite hard, the last bit takes care of itself but you need to be on your knees well before the finish (figuratively speaking of course) but you do have to pace it as well so yes having markers is as to how far gone/to go is good.

Got worse as I got home to the point that I couldn’t walk on it and it was throbbing as I was sat still.

Looks like I’ve injured my achilles at the transition to the medial gastrocnemius.

Unlikely to be serious but probably due to upping your training. Ice and NSAIDS for a bit. Dont be tempted to do any stretching (dont get me started) but at this stage, when it is tender, it may make it a bit worse. Ice every few hours for a few days and keep active but let pain be your guide. Should settle quickly (unless you really have done some damage) then build up again with slow runs and walks.

mark88

If you can do a 21:44 5k then you’re running at 7 mins/mile, so a 6:30 for a mile is not unachievable.

Thanks for your advice – did 6:19. I’d have liked to have another attempt but weather was too good not to be out on the bike at the weekend.

3km test this week. Aiming for somewhere in the region of 12:15.

dashed
    Free Member

Another crack at sub-45m 10km for me back end of last week. Tried starting off much slower this time but same net result – 45:16. Grrr!

Not sure if I’m a bit under the weather at the minute though as felt horrible afterwards, quite crampy and thoroughly drained the next day. I’ve also developed a weird sore on my toe which looks remarkably like “covid toe” if you google. Starting to wonder if I’ve actually had covid and been asymptomatic. I’ve been really careful about social distancing so hopefully I’ve not spread it around the place if I have…

GrahamS

Thanks @surfer – I iced for the first day. After that I switched to topical Ibuprofen gel which seems to have helped. Still walking with a limp six days later and struggle a little on stairs but it is definitely easing off.

Been on a couple of short walks but can’t manage much more just yet. Will try cycling on it when it gets a bit easier.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am feeling very annoyed as I had started to get my milage up again (after a winter of not doing much) then injured myself by hanging out of a window (trying to avoid putting myself at risk by climbing on the garage roof to fix something, I tried to lean out of the window and rolled over on my ribs a bit and have probably fractured a rib). So for over a week now I am struggling to breathe in so running with it is out of the question.

Fortunately my two little 10 yr old girls have started daily runs on the treadmill in our garage and are now doing <7 minute miles. They will leave me for dead the next time we go out together.

lunge

Anyone finding themselves contemplating spending far to much on new trainers at the moment?
    Currently in my basket are:
    Nike Streaks – My favourite short race shoes, I have 2 pairs, but one is nearly dead and Nike have discontinued them so I must buy a spare pair.
    Nike Pegasus 36 – Well, they new model is out soon, I don’t know if I’ll like it as much so best get a spare pair of these…
    Nike Pegasus Trail – These are pretty much the perfect shoe for the ultra I’m doing in October (hopefully), so again, a spare pair is needed.
    Asics Novablast – Oooh, new bouncy things!

I need to have a severe word with myself or I will likely be skint and divorced.

bob_summers

managed a PB by 11 secs

I hate you @nobeerinthefridge !
    I started running yesterday, gentle 9km uphill out qnd back and it was maybe the slowest I have ever run without actually qualifying as a walk! Took about an hour… Last run was the week before lockdown, so 15th March or so, although after a sprain in Feb I was only gently easing back into it.

Everything felt wrong. Hips hurt. Left knee isn’t right, and buckles when running downhill. Seems like the nerve problem I had last year, but my physio is still shut.

alanf
    Free Member

@lunge – I am afflicted similarly.
    I managed to pick up a relatively cheap pair of the new Adidas Adizero Pro, in the prototype colour scheme (Instagram competition prize sold off on ebay). I can confirm they are bouncy and snappy and got me a 4:57 mile in their first outing, so I’m sold. I can’t compare to Vaporflys as I’ve not tried them but they are a step up from usual Adios.
    2 pairs of Nike Terra Kiger 5s – I picked up a pair from an outlet pre lockdown and find them excellent so I’ve obviously had to get a back up pair – I have countered this excess by getting one pair of TK5s for the wife – she is happy…

Spud

Not quite so much buying going on but did (in response to my ‘what bouncy trail shoes ask the other week) buy a pair of Nike Wildhorse 6 in the rather Marmite colour scheme. So far so good, a lot more cushioning, almost a shame to get them dirty :-).

I will be replacing my very worn Inov8 X-Talon 212 soon too, now they’ve released the V2.

My running is somewhat curtailed at present and I suspect it is just overuse after being laid up for a couple of months with broken leg, awful pain at bottom of calf muscles and occasional shin aches, so roller on them and varying types of exercise. Although I do need to get my running fitness up to speed (sorry) ready for whenever the rugby season starts again, can’t have a slow ref!

mogrim

In my case it’s not so much I have that many “active” shoes, it’s all the retired ones that tend to build up under the bed… last time I did a clean out there were at least 10 pairs gathering dust and taking up space 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

@Spud – those new V2 x-talon 212s, is it just the incorporation of the graphene rubber sole as they look very similar to the original? great shows by the way.

lunge

In my case it’s not so much I have that many “active” shoes

Yes, what are you meant to do with the retired from running shoes? I already have a garden pair, a walking to the shops pair, a wear to arrive at races but not in the race pair, and various other things. The problem is I’m doing 60 miles a week at the moment which is roughly a pair of trainers every 5 or 6 weeks, I have no idea what to do with them.

mogrim

I usually either dump them in one of the charity clothing bins, or my local running shop colaborates with a charity than recycles them. Although the last time I was in there the owner did say that he’d given a couple of pairs to a homeless guy that had gone past, which seems fair enough.

Spud

@alanf, indeed, it’s the likeness to the original that I’m after, the fit is excellent.

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

I know the feeling re running shoes; since lockdown I came across 3 pairs which were on good offers. It wasn’t long before that I bought my last. Been a few sales on other running gear too

neila

Hi all, I’m a fairly regular runner doing 2 to 3 5k runs per week in around 22 to 23 minutes. Before lockdown I signed up for the Stroud Half (supposedy in October) so have been gradually increasing the distance and learning to slow myself down. I ran 13.5k yesterday in 1hr 4m at a fairly even pace, no particular issues, however; after finishing and stretching about half a hour later my right knee became very sore, hurting from the back and round the inside of the knee. Any ideas what I have done? Third run in new trainers (Ghost 12s) I have used ice and Ibuprofen, any other advice?

lunge

@neila, sounds like a bit of standard runners knee. Google it and there are loads of exercises to help fix t and stop it. It’s normally caused by pushing distance or pace a little.
    Nothing to worry about and easily sorted.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A week in to getting back running outside again, the DOMS are kicking in 🤣

Fitness seems fine, 6 weeks on the treadmill and turbo has kept the lungs okay, but the quads have taken a pounding after being reintroduced to roads and trails again…

Still, not complaining, it’s good to get out, need to start building mileage up again.

neila

@Lunge, thanks for that good to hear. I had done a couple of runs and rides this week aswell so probably going another half mile on top of my previous furthest was pushing it. I’ll have a look online.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

It’s Sutton Runners 10k day!

Of course, it’s been called off but we’re all doing our own solo 10k.

New 10k PB!

Went out bright and early, started on the highest place in the known universe (Rose Hill roundabout), ran down to Merton Park and flogged myself around there until my watch told me it was mercifully all over. It was my first 10k “race” and I probably went off too fast.

Still, I got a pb of over 2 minutes to come in at 44:40 so pretty happy with that! Not sure I could do it on a completely flat course yet, but I won’t be far off.

sirromj

Other than a few sporadic inconsistent efforts over the last 3 years, I’ve pretty much not run for over 25 years. A couple of years ago I decided to do more walking about with bare feet (had been a factory work wearing protective boots and my feet just felt dead, stiff spd shoes), mainly just the house to begin with, then I bought some ‘Barefoot’ Merril running shoes, and have been going on family walks in them, chasing after the toddler on his balance bike. Running around the flat barefoot playing chase etc.

This morning was my 5th lockdown run. After a short walk to start (and a warm up before leaving the flat), I decided to push how far I run/jogged before walking, again. Roughly 2.25 miles before I walked, gave me best 1 & 2 mile efforts. Felt reasonably comfortable, calves not aching anywhere near as much as the first three lockdown runs. Still a bit of shin ache but it’s getting better. After walking a short distance, when I ran again there was pain in the ball of my left foot.

I guess that’s what I get for running in zero drop minimalist shoes, but as mentioned I had my reasons for choosing them and hoped starting things off in them would help condition my feet. I’d like to keep going, but will be needing a new pair soon I think…Might just replace like for like. Or is there something with a bit more cushioning but still zero drop?

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I love the idea of zero drop, minimalist stuff and started running about 9 months ago in Merrell barefoot shoes. Had the usual calf pain, but feet not too bad
    After short runs but hurt after longer runs.

Joined a running club and nobody was wearing minimalist shoes. Nobody. And they were fast. After a few months I swallowed my pride, got some normal shoes with an 8mm drop and found my feet felt great after longer runs, the calf pain disappeared and knee pain went. YMMV.

Trail shoes are different. Lower drop
    And more minimalist – i think they work because your feet and body are constantly adapting to the terrain.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Sirromj – pretty sure Altra are zero drop with plenty of cushioning.

sirromj

The Altra look a bit too pricey for me. There’s a few of them on Sportspursuit at the moment, but they’re for mountainous rocky terrain – not Thanet. I currently have the Merrell Vapour Glove 3 which is very minimal. The newer Trail Glove 5 looks like it has a bit more to it and price is ok… hovering over the buy button.

I do like my Vapour Gloves, especially for walking around in! Think it was my second lockdown run where the ball of my left foot landed on a small protruding stone and was aching for a few days after so today may have been in connection to that – I’ve been more careful since and didn’t feel like I stood on or let my full weight down on anything pointy today.

The main thing is, I’ve been feeling like once I get past the pain element of running I will quite enjoy it. I did a ten mile run a couple of times in my last two years of school and would like to be able to get that kind of distance again eventually.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why are you into the idea of minimal or zero drop shoes?. Have you read somewhere that they’d work for you due to the safety shoes thing?.

I’ve no idea, what if any drop any of my shoes are, I prefer something that’s comfy with some nice padding, give it a go!.

ps- worked in Engineering for 28 years, vast majority of that in steelies!

comfort over purist notions ftw.

sirromj

If I was all purist about it I’d literally be running barefoot 😉
    Would quite like to be able to do that though 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

If that’s your aim I guess you should persevere with the Merrels!

avdave2

worked in Engineering for 28 years, vast majority of that in steelies!

Are your toenails as bad as mine! I’ve been wearing them for years since a colleague dropped 2 stage weights, 25 kg of metal, on his big toe. I at least still have a bones in my big toe rather than powder but steel toecaps have done my nails no favours! I even wear them when working at home so have spent way too long in them.

I’m up to 8 miles with 800ft climbing on my longest cross country runs at the moment which I’m pleased with. Will look to go up to 10 over the next few weeks if all goes well. I’ve had issues with plantar fasciitis  on a couple of occasions in the past but I’ve found some stretches which seem to have it in control now.

sirromj

When I used to wear steal toe caps my feet used to get all sweaty and sticky and smelled like they were rotting, my toe’s skin was white and crinkled where they’d been damp all day, and the skin was eroded where they rubbed against each other.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never really had bother with steelies tbh, quite lucky that way, lots of colleagues have.

Ultras and hill racing are the real toe destroyers!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Shoe question, sorry. After my full on 10k run on Sunday my arch started hurting. Shoes are on 250 miles. How many miles do you get out of your shoes?
    Cheers.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve never been one to count miles in shoes but you should start to feel more impact and “hardness” as the midsole starts to breakdown. I do a lot of my running off road so its not as pronounced and I run in Hoka’s (due to a toe problem) but when I did more on road I just changed them when they started to feel firm. I always liked the Nike Air shoes and found them to be more resilient.
    It is important to focus on the midsole and not the upper or the outersole. I am quite light on my feet and a forefoot striker. I throw shoes out that look almost untouched at the heel cos it never really touches the ground.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,561 through 4,600 (of 7,710 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.