• This topic has 7,693 replies, 361 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by surfer.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,521 through 4,560 (of 7,694 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • ta11pau1

Went out for a quick ride this evening to see if the running had been doing its job when it comes to fitness on the bike, knocked 26 seconds off a 15 minute, 175m climb pb, on knobblies rather than slicks on my gravel bike (although I would have been carrying 5-6kgs of luggage on my previous pb, so that probably cancels each other out).

bob_summers

Running ruined my bike fitness @ta11pau1, seems like I’m an exception.
    May be the type of runs I do. The bike fitness was good when I started running and it complimented the running. I set some course PB’s back then which I struggled to beat after months of training.
    But over time the cycling form dropped off, and to add insult to injury it hurts my ass now!

ta11pau1

Yeah I started running to keep the fitness up over winter, I definitely feel stronger with better endurance when on the bike – considering the lack of miles I’ve done on the bike this year I’m happy with my fitness.

I’ve got some unfinished business with a couple of climbs in Wales too 😁

surfer
    Free Member

the taste of blood in the mouth

🙂

Looking at my local parkrun, there are girls and boys in the 11-14 category running 25 minute 5km’s, which is 5:00 /km pace

My Nephew is 10 and ran 20:03 for his 5km Parkrun recently 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, 13 year old at our local runs sub 18, he’s not a member of a club or anything, plays football, only runs at parkrun.

Wee shite. 😂

jeffl

Well last Monday decided to carry on running after 9 miles and do a half marathon distance. Ached a bit at the end and was a bit slow at 2h 8m but fairly happy with that as my first off the cuff attempt at a half marathon distance.

lunge

Highest mileage again this week, 60 miles.
    Do I dare go for 70 next week?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Enjoying the runs lately. Have lately had to keep the dog on lead more as it’s so much busier where I run.
    Took delivery of a cheap Trespass running harness/lead yesterday so took it for a test run today. Went well and much better than running whilst holding the lead.

Catching our breath by the canal at the end.

Those that run with their dogs. Do you use a harness/lead. If so which one? The Trespass seems fine but early days. Curious of options/opinions.

ta11pau1

So my new schedule calls for a rest day on Monday, then a medium length run, then short, then medium on consecutive days, then a rest day, and another rest or a cross training (cycling) day, then a long run.

Today was the short run of 3.2km, so I’ve planned this day as my “speed” day. Bear in mind my 5km pb is 25:39, so 5:08 /km pace.

Just run the 3.27km at 4:49 /km pace, ooh I felt that… 😯

lunge

Beautiful 10 miles today, threw a few intervals in too. Turns out that a 5:32 mile is possible if you can find a 1 mile downhill section with a tailwind.
    I won’t lie, it stung a bit!

flyingmonkeycorps

Gonna try for 10k with the pram tomorrow I think, unless I wake up early in which case I may do a solo 10k before breakfast. Wish me luck.

turboferret

This might amuse, was how I spent an hour this morning 🙂

https://www.fastrunning.com/running-athletics-news/great-britain/5k-world-record-smashed/29746

I think my fastest mile (made up of several 300m sections) was about 3:25 😀

lunge

Fine work TF, I was debating having a go at that myself, though I’m pretty sure I’m not getting anywhere near your time!
    I’ve got a friend on Strava who does this a lot, shouts about a 19 min 5k yet struggled to break 25 mins at parkrun.

flyingmonkeycorps

turboferret
    Subscriber
    This might amuse, was how I spent an hour this morning 🙂

5k World Record smashed

I think my fastest mile (made up of several 300m sections) was about 3:25 😀

Ha brilliant, that gave me a good chuckle. Excellent work, here’s hoping something ever more ridiculous tips it.

I managed my 10 (and a half!) k with pram today, super slow but I did have to keep stopping to give the weeun a drink.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve only been able to treadmill since lockdown started, I’m actually starting to not mind it as much as I thought I would!

Ipad balanced on it, an episode of ozark with subtitles passes an hour! 😊

Spud

Help please runnerists, I’m after some trail running trainers with a decent amount of cushioning. I don’t run far, max 5 miles, but the local trails are like concrete at the moment and all my shoes are limited cushioning Inov8, fab when it’s soft and gloopy but not at the moment. So more cushioned Inov8, Hoka or others?

lunge

@Spud, have a look at the Nike Pegasus trail. Very similar cushioning to their road sibling with a much more aggressive sole. They’re not great in real slop but bar that they’re a cracking shoe.

alanf
    Free Member

@Turboferret – I saw that on Fast running!!! Brilliant work, most impressive, and perfectly executed!

@spud
    – I use Inov-8 trail roc and x-talons most of the time, but at the moment I’ve got a pair of Nike Terra Kiger 5 (I think the 6 are the same but different colours) and they are great for the hard ground. Not massively aggressive tread but seem pretty good in most conditions except extreme slop, so are in their element at the moment. I managed to pick them up from a Nike outlet store just prior to lock down for £40 which is an absolute steal! They often pop up on ebay too.

Spud

Cheers Both, will have a look.

mogrim

@Spud I’ve got some Saucony Xodus Iso 3, they’re very well padded.

Seems like we might be allowed out at the end of the week, only an hour mind, although the Spanish government is saying it will depend on each province… here’s hoping!

Spud

@mogrim, fingers crossed for you. I can’t begin to imagine the level of lockdown you guys have had.

mogrim

Cheers! Thankfully I’ve got a smart turbo trainer, doing that everyday is keeping me sane. But I’m definitely looking forward to going for a run, even if it is only an hour and close to home.

johndoh
    Free Member

Managed to get out for a longer (for me) run today at long last (I have been doing short 1.5 mile runs with my 10 yr olds recently). So for the first time since last year I did a four-miler by myself and thoroughly enjoyed it – managing a respectable 8.56 minute mile pace on my hilly run (some way off my normal fighting speed of around 8.10).

I wonder how my legs will feel tomorrow…

bob_summers

Lockdown starts to ease off in Spain – having barely run this year and not at all for the last 7 weeks, I’m starting again on Saturday!
    Fairly strict still – individuals only, must remain within city limits, between the hours of 0600-1000 and 2000-2300 only. Looking at the map I can do my usual 15km mountain loop without straying into the next municipality! Whether my legs can get me round is another matter. I’m half tempted to do C25K instead…

jam-bo

Trying to run at least 5k a day since I’ve been furloughed. On day 6 now and starting to settle into it now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb Bob, enjoy mate.

bob_summers

Cheers Nobeer – only problem is, everyone is going to be running in the same place at the same time! But I’ll take it.

dashed
    Free Member

I had a punt at a 45m 10k the other night – been a target for a while but not really done anything about it – previous PB was 47 something. I’ve done no targeted training over lockdown – just getting the miles in and enjoying running.

Anyway, managed a 45m15s so pretty chuffed. I certainly felt it but I’m pretty sure I could find 15s!

bob_summers

First run for months – didn’t go well!
    Sun’s out, never seen so many joggers going around the beaches.
    Got up on the hill, trails fairly busy, about 5k in my knee felt rubbish and my glutes started to lock up, on the wrong side of the hill. Walked/limped back to town, 45 mins over curfew oops.

mogrim

Unlike @bob_summers, my first 6K in 45 days was great – not very fast, took it easy, and felt great afterwards.

Did manage to follow the curfew laws though 🤣

duckman

By now I should have finished the Tiree half and should be well on my way to being lightly pished at the ceilidh. Bah!

bob_summers

Did manage to follow the curfew laws though 🤣

It was excruciatingly embarrassing walking off the hill at the time all the oldies had been let out and were walking up. No funny looks or comments, but I was still of half a mind to whistle for an imaginary dog…

seadog101

Joining this thread to get some advice.

I consider myself reasonably fit, at least fitter than average. When Im at work on the ship I get to the gym at least 5-6 times a week. Not so much when home on leave, but I do what I can on the rower, bike etc.

However, running is my nemesis. I can manage 5km in 25mins and don’t feel too bad afterwards. However about 24hrs later I will be hit with stiffness, legs and lower back, sometimes even shoulders. Not just a bit achy, but proper struggle to move kind of stiffness.

I try warming up and stretching before, cool down gently on the rower and stretch afterwards, but it still hits me.

Help me runners of STW, you’re my only hope.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s just time seadog. You need to keep at it and then the DOMS will fade in intensity the day after a run. You’ll still get them of course, from an intense session, but not from a run at an easyish pace.

I’ve done more riding and turbo recently to the neglect of running and got horrific DOMS last week after a hilly 10k. Unlike some on here I find my running or cycling don’t complement each other – if I focus on one I can do it quite well but not both!

lunge

Help me runners of STW, you’re my only hope.

Classic “fit person tries running” symptoms @seadog101. Basically, as you’re fit you go hard (25 mins for 5k isn’t hanging around) as you’re lungs and CV system can deal with it but your muscles aren’t used to it so scream at you a day later.

The way to stop it is to build up slowly and consistently. 3 runs per week, much slower than you’re doing and perhaps with some run, walk, run in them. Basically, you need to do a sort of couch to 5k. Stretch a lot immediately afterwards focussing one the areas you know have hurt in the past, calf’s tend to be where I feel it.

It’ll feel frustratingly slow to begin with but once you’ve built it up you’ll be in a better place to run more.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@turboferret

Class but if running for that 5k last week. Immense pace! Nice going this morning too – looked proper tough on the pace chart and very consistent splits. Nice.

@dashed

Funny you should say that about a 10k. Well done on that time – you will def crack it. Never actually run a 10k as a distance before – always more so the 10k is part of a longer run. Pb was 49 mins something but went out on Friday for my run and a few km in I thought I would do a 10k. A fairly undulating route and included 2k slow start as warm up and came in at 46:42. Beat my age and happy with time. Pace was 4:40/km

Some comments got me thinking I might be able to nudge a 45 as its 4:30/km pace.

Went out yesterday to try to hold a pace if 4:30 for as long as I could. Got to about 6km then I felt the previous day’s run and caved in. I should have known as I’m the sort of runner who needs long recoveries and I’m never good at consecutive days. Will try again soon. 45 minute 10k seems less painful that a sub 20 5k for some reason.

bob_summers

As above Seadog. I took up (hill) running last year from a good fitness base. At first, the results were flattering, but I’d gone in too hard too soon and the injuries crept in – which I tried to run through. Did everything wrong, basically. Sounds daft, but I was enjoying it so much I didn’t care.
    As I spent more time resting injuries, the base fitness ebbed away. On “good” days I couldn’t get near times I’d set just a few weeks after starting!
    If I were to start over (actually thanks to a sprain and quarantine I practically am) I’d mix a lot more cycling in, and just run a couple of times a week.

turboferret

@root-n-5th thanks, we have some club virtual TTs going on the first being 4 miles this morning. I forgot about it until yesterday and thought I’d sabotaged my chances with a hard tempo on Friday, but the legs responded when required 🙂 Nice to see the fitness gradually returning – at the 5k point I was only 6 seconds slower than my 5K time from a few weeks ago, but still managed to continue for nearly another mile. 5 mile at the end of the month, so getting a bit closer to my stronger distance.

Well done on your 10k effort, if you want to get as quick as possible then a mini taper will help in advance and choose your route carefully. Battersea Park isn’t right on my doorstep but I get a decent warm-up running there and its a lovely flat smooth and quiet (at the times when I’m there) loop. Tooting Bec Common wouldn’t be too much slower but some sharp corners would cost a couple of seconds

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@turboferret. Certainly doesn’t look like you’ve lost any speed!

Cheers for encouragement. I think running to Battersea park would kill me! After 6.8 miles I’d be no good to man or beast. It’s hard to find a flat route around here. It’s not exactly mountain country, but when you’re pushing for a time a 2 minute incline just saps the energy. I don’t think runners benefit S much from downhill as cyclist as it still hurts to go for it on the downs.

seadog101

Yup, I kind of guessed I might just be trying a bit too hard.
    I’ll ease into it a bit more gently this week. Maybe just a row / 2k / row and see how I feel. Then up the distance over a couple of weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,521 through 4,560 (of 7,694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.