Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)
  • The Racing Post – CX Season has begun
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

trickydisco, I would advise pre entering for Thursday night. It’s getting very popular and only 60 places available on a first come, first serve basis.

ah ha.. I will do

What’s the course like? many dismounts? technical?

fontmoss
    Free Member

My club’s president is lending me his Ti SS

:O very generous!

trickydisco
    Free Member

So i’ve just registered for my 1st cross of the season tonight. The gwr Evening Winter Cross League 3

Lights at the ready.. can’t wait for the sliding around

hammerite
    Free Member

Oldgit – how did you get on on Saturday – or were you otherwise engaged at your road race? I rode out to the Bowl watched the lad race and rode back. There were plenty tumbling down the banks after the night’s rain.

Only just seen this, the nice Condor on the back of the car was the newly purchased (as in minutes before!) cross bike for Jnr. I now have bike envy of an 11 yo. Unfortunately he can’t race on it yet, I need to change some bits on it to make it more child friendly, cranks, cassette, chainrings.

mooman
    Free Member

Brecon CX race yesterday .. me and my nemesis … rider 44!!

I could see his rear wheel in my sleeep …

oldgit
    Free Member

Hammerite
    Still got a dreadful cough so haven’t ridden at all between races which isn’t ideal.
    I was occupied with clubs road race earlier, but did go and race afterwards rather foolishly.
    Started at the back, in my state it wasn’t fair on fit riders. I was walking on the first lap because of a bottleneck. Then I was taken down by a falling rider, but went on to pass more that thirty riders.
    Still coughing now.
    From Saturday

MikeWW
    Free Member

Wolverhampton yesterday-ended up in 7th so got some work to do still

dobo
    Free Member

The wessex league eastleigh sotonia cx yesterday was excellent. I really enjoyed the course an got right in the zone, my cantis were bang on, locking into some bends on the rear and my chain didnt come off! trying to find the lowest safest psi for the mich mud 2’s. i think i can lower a bit more to 35-37 psi on a course like that.
    results not up yet so no idea where i came but felt good

carbon337
    Free Member

Did anyone race thrunton CxNE series at Druridge Bay Sunday? Very sticky draggy course.

carbon337
    Free Member

Not thrunton at all that’s my iPhone autocorrect playing up. Should have said the.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Rounds three and four of the Swedish cup, placed 16th and 18th, so will drop out of the top 10 in the overall 😥

Great course up in Kumla, just a pity I had dire starts both days on a track where the start is ooh so important. Not many pictures floating about so far

Cool flyover though, (not me):

Photo credit to Henrik @ http://oijer.blogspot.se/

hammerite
    Free Member

Hope the cough clears up OG. Did the road race go ok?

cool photo SC.

and well done Mike.

barrykellett
    Free Member

First round of the Ulster CX series on sunday and my first ever proper CX race. 21st out of 43 starters, not so bad but not so great either. Have a few target men for the next round to aim for now 😉

By far the hardest form of racing I have ever done. And I have done no specific preparation for it either after a full season of XC and just riding around on my commute since that ended. You need a lot more top end for CX than XC, and I didn’t have much when the XC ended!

cp

CX is just flat out from the gun… great fun!

I raced the North West CCA round 3 – Velocity Cross. Was brilliant fun, with plenty of claggy mud. Discs were a god send, if just for the quiet braking!

Never have I worked so hard to be lapped twice (by Nick Craig amongst others), and come 33/166.

Got the race face on 🙂

No time for rest either

Can’t wait for the next one 🙂

barrykellett
    Free Member

It truely is flat out from the gun.
    But its the nature of the power output that is hardest to come to terms with. Huge power spikes sprinting out of corners, jelly legs dismounting and remounting.

Plus I had serious gear issues!

cp

Plus I had serious gear issues!

+1! Selection got a bit random in places/non existent.

sefton
    Free Member

Velocity was my fist real cx race – great fun but hard!

mini v’s completely clogged my wheels on a few laps making it impossible to turn the wheels – I think 40psi was a little too much as well!

thomthumb
    Free Member

raced my first ever CX race on sunday; wessex league at eastleigh. Not a very SS friendly course. was 26th/ 27. great fun though.

hoping to do at least one more race this season.

cp

I was running about 38 psi, 12.5 stone, 35mm tyres. Seemed a lot better than the pressure’s I’ve run in the past for cross – think 80 🙂

Might try about 35 next time.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well chuffed with my 17th place in the GWR evening cross last thursday. Loving cross at night. The course has no dismounts and is fairly technical in the woods

Finally met Mulletus Maximus who stormed round the course

Can’t wait till this thursday now i know the course

Was running about 30psi in my tyres and they gripped amazingly well

thomthumb
    Free Member

are you 30-40psi guys running tubs?

sefton
    Free Member

whiles the mini – v’s were a godsend for the peaks – in the mud they clogged up real fast – might have to put the canti’s back on?

anyone else running v’s?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I was running clinchers (toro cx’s) i weigh 67kg

trickydisco
    Free Member

whiles the mini – v’s were a godsend for the peaks – in the mud they clogged up real fast – might have to put the canti’s back on?

anyone else running v’s?

Funnily enough i’m about to put V’s with travel adjust on mine for racing (on advice of clubber on here) cus my avid cantis are a bit rubbish – although weirdly they were fine for racing but I cycled bath to didcot off road on saturday across the ridgeway and i had terrible fork judder problems)

Can’t afford the avid ultimates so going with single digit v’s

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

When I’m forced to use clinchers I put somewhere between 28-32 psi in, tubs range from 22 upwards. 74kg here

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

trickydisco, have you seen the forecast for Thursday? It’s going to be very wet. Should make the last technical section fun. 😀

Don’t forget it’s back there for Sunday too but pre entry only.

hammerite
    Free Member

40psi if dry, 30-35 depending if wet/muddy.

Not punctured yet in 3 seasons of cross.

IdleJon

I’ve just returned to cx after 6 seasons of no racing. I can’t believe the number of entries – 102 in Brecon on Sunday.

When I used to help organise events we’d rarely have over 50.

Brecon on Sunday was mainly flat, fast and not too muddy. After about 20 minutes I basically wanted to stop and die because the speed was so high, but I looked around and it seemed that everyone around me felt the same so I kept going. Disappointed in the end result, but I’ll console myself that there were so many starters!

mooman
    Free Member

Only my 3rd cx race. It really is flat out from the start. One of the biggest surprises I have found is how long I can maintain my max HR.
    It goes up to 180bpm within the first few seconds of race starting – then stays between 180 – 190bpm for the full time of the race …

IdleJon – I think I talked to you as we signed on? were you in an Abergavenny jersey?

IdleJon

mooman, no I’m not with an affiliated club these days. (I used to ride for Schmoos years ago..)

I’ve been wearing a bright green Royle jersey, riding an old silver Jake the Snake and pottering in a worn out fashion about 2/3rds the way down the field. (66th on Sun)

If you were anywhere near the back at Risca you may have seen my somersault down the first steep bank – wiped out about 6 other riders in the process.. 😳

Where did you finish?

mooman
    Free Member

I was 39th at Brecon .. loads of excuses why I was so far back too 😆

Actually had my best race at Risca. 28th ( or as I dress it up – 4th out of the vet-cat).
    I have had two falls in each of the 3 races I have done this year … both falls at Risca were on the same bank as you describe .. great fun.
    I guess you still remember the weather at Risca …

If your racing round6 at Hereford – give me a nudge.
    I will be the guy looking knackered in the blue MigglyMoos jersey 😀

IdleJon

Ah, I know you now – assuming you are the only Miggly Moos rider.

I don’t think I’ll do Hereford, it’s a bit far. I’ve just sent my entry off for Carmarthen. Should be interesting under floodlights.

After Risca my teeth were still chattering half way down the M4 with the heating on full. My wife thought it very amusing that I’d given myself mild hypothermia.

dobo
    Free Member

are you 30-40psi guys running tubs?

thomthumb, i ran about 40psi on mich mud 2 clinchers and weigh about 12.5 stone, im sure i can lower psi a touch on a course like. i had no grip issues though as i was.
    That SS must of hurt on that course!! Swindon is flat aparently

mooman
    Free Member

Yes – the only Moo rider.

Carmarthen is a bit awkward with it being a Saturday evening race.

Good luck with the rest of the season anyways.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Swindon is indeed flat and also a very short lap. You can expect about 10 laps for the vets race and about 15 for the seniors.

It’s a great little course with single track at each end. Plenty of dead stop corners too and some slippery off camber corners that could catch you out if wet.

I’ve been racing there in the night series for two seasons and still not bored of the course although they are running it the other way this year.

vegasdave
    Free Member

I was at Manchester on Sunday…it was tough! I finished 100th !,but I did finish. After a few laps,the bike stopped dead,caked in mud.I was ok for grip…and I was running 50psi.
    Felt sick at the end,but I’ll be up or more in the Notts/Derby League this weekend.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is everyone ready for their race Sunday?

aP
    Free Member

Well, I’ll be there before 9am, give up 7 hours of my Sunday and still pay for a cup of coffee.
    So, L has made sandwiches, I’m warming up the thermos and digging out warm clothing inc long johns and a waterproof. I think that means yes.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Raced at Alfreton today in NDCXL, felt rubbish but thought I’d done enough to crack top 100. Sadly not, finished 119th but unless Steve Seamark was riding then possibly sneaked first ss :O

vegasdave
    Free Member

Fontmoss,I was a couple of places behind you….and I didn’t feel shit! Loved the course,favourite so far,in my fledgling Cross “career”.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘The Racing Post – CX Season has begun’ is closed to new replies.