Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Wow – new Olympic Record (48/50) and he also holds the World Record at 49/50.

tetrode

It’s sad that Charlotte Worthington has not qualified for the BMX.

I’m gutted about that! I wonder what happened, it just seemed like her heart wasn’t in either of the two runs she did.

timmys

Wow – new Olympic Record (48/50) and he also holds the World Record at 49/50.

Previous Olympic record was 43, so a pretty impressive increase! Chinese dude in silver place scored 44 so must be a bit gutted to break the previous record and not even win.

johndoh
    Free Member

Previous Olympic record was 43, so a pretty impressive increase! Chinese dude in silver place scored 44 so must be a bit gutted to break the previous record and not even win.

Yeah, they both did something special. I watched the last bit of it and I didn’t even spot one clay.

pothead
    Free Member

Someone really needs to explain the judging on the boxing to me

I’ve no interest in boxing but a good mate coaches under 18’s at a local club, his take when I’ve asked the same question is basically ‘boxing is the most corrupt sport in the world’. My take is that if no one has won by KO the 12th round should continue until someone does, no judges at all

blackhat
    Free Member

The Pidcock race would make for the perfect Tom Cruise script: our hero is already successful and highly familiar to us.  He sets off on his latest mission and all goes to plan until he suffers a major setback.  But he is lucky as his back up is relatively close to hand and he has time to make amends.  Using his cool calculating head he bides his time on his revenge mission and just as it looks as he is gaining ascendency we realise his foe has something in reserve.  The daring fightback looks to be in vain when, with a final piece of quick thinking and skill, he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat.

martinhutch

I had no idea Johnny Vegas was so knowledgeable about gymnastics.

crazy-legs

Idly flicking through channels, that US gymnastics floor routine is impressive.

Commentators seem to agree but I have no idea how the scoring or judging works. Kind of like in BMX or skateboarding when the commentators excitedly say what trick it is and all I’ve seen is a wildly tumbling athlete impossibly spinning around in midair and then a score to 3 decimal places is given.

WTF?!

Also, that Italian – holy ****, how does the human body actually do that?!

onehundredthidiot

Given what’s happened in lots of sports I’m slightly to uncomfortable with the middle aged male coaches hugging the gymnasts.

It’s bloody impressive but feels a bit odd with the dance elements.

crazy-legs

Given what’s happened in lots of sports I’m slightly to uncomfortable with the middle aged male coaches hugging the gymnasts.

I wondered how to phrase that and then decided against mentioning it so I’m glad it’s not just me.

imnotverygood

Who on earth decided to hold the triathlon swimming in the river in the middle of a huge city like Paris? That’s just an inseine idea!

je vais chercher mon manteau

footflaps

Who on earth decided to hold the triathlon swimming in the river in the middle of a huge city like Paris? That’s just an inseine idea!

Especially one where until very recently all the neighbouring streets dumped raw sawage direct into it….

They have been connecting buildings up to sewers over the last four years, but still are only part way through the process.

martinhutch

I don’t mind the ambition though – using the prospect of the games to try to drive change that will benefit the residents of Paris in the long term. It could have been quite the Olympic legacy. Unfortunately they didn’t quite make it though.

London didn’t even bother trying to use the Thames, and it has got progressively more filthy over the past decade.

Twodogs

Tennis:  I’m old enough to remember when doubles partners didn’t fist pump after every single flipping shot . Even after one of them’s done sod all, or screwed up.  It’s so irritating.

kayak23

The Great Britain swimmers trackies are a bit on the chavvy side…

scuttler

Goldie Looking Chains too

gs_triumph

@blackhat rules out him being scottish

We’d be winning to the last then throw it all away

gs_triumph

It seems that hugging and fist bumping is de rigeur these days in all walks of life.  Maybe we need to move on.  Not everyone is creepy.  Sometimes it’s actually quite a nice thing to do.

gs_triumph

Atmosphere in paris is lovely.  Very friendly.  Had some right nice chats with spectators from all over and shared a drink with the first ever equine entrant from morroco.  Bloody lovely.

gs_triumph

I am finding it hard to keep up with proceedings.  French telly and thrnfan zones are understandably biased towards French hopefuls.  Player works on my phone.  Also have discovery plus – again works on phone.  But despite a vpn  still can’t get it to cast to telly in airbnb.

Hey ho!  More beer. More chatting.

zilog6128

What does a horse drink on a night out in Paris these days?

slowoldman

Surf’s Up.  Is this the photo of the Paris 2024 Olympics?

Can’t embed the image.

Rich_s

What does a horse drink on a knight out in Paris these days?

Chevalier, probably.

martinhutch
    shinton
    Free Member

Carnage at the women’s triathlon.  Swim looked brutal against the current and multiple bike crashes on the wet cobbles.  Men off at 09:45.

kormoran
    Free Member

“Ooh me wet cobbles”

BruceWee

After I caught sight of a random photo and did a bit of digging I discovered olympic windsurfing is now olympic windfoiling.

I haven’t followed olympic windsurfing for over 20 years but I might make the effort watch this.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Has the water actually miraculously cleaned up or is it just me who thinks that the organisers have just thrown them in there to save face?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I haven’t followed olympic windsurfing for over 20 years but I might make the effort watch this.

Good luck finding it!

Bunnyhop

So looking forward to the rowing. It’s a favourite in the bunnyhop household (11.25am).

thecaptain
    Free Member

What happens is the dirty water flows downstream and the fresh water coming down is cleaner (hopefully).

The Seine is basically swimmable in summer nowaways, it’s just heavy rain that occasionally overwhelms their systems.

scud
    Free Member

The women’s triathlon just need the Benny Hill music on it, if the E. Coli didn’t get them, the slippery cobbles will…

paddy0091
    Free Member

Don’t think the BBC could be doing a worse job of coverage today;

Day 4: Women’s Triathlon, put it on rewind from iPlayer – table tennis, archery, and MEN’S triathlon.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What happens is the dirty water flows downstream and the fresh water coming down is cleaner (hopefully).

I thought that the recent pollution was caused by the rainfall on the opening ceremony day? (or at least that’s what they said)

kilo

Don’t think the BBC could be doing a worse job of coverage today

The coverage last night was quite bad and I can’t abide Claire Balding – she adds very little other than a smug middle class attitude and no subject knowledge to proceedings.

Thankfully the Discovery app has better coverage.

mr edd
    Free Member

Go Alex Yee and what a job by Sam Dickinson, loved him encouraging the crowd to get behind Alex.

crazy-legs

The coverage last night was quite bad and I can’t abide Claire Balding

The constant digging up of vox pops and athlete profiles with literally every person the athlete has ever met wishing them luck / recounting stories of their youth etc is also massively cringey and annoying.

ajantom

If anyone’s in Paris watching the Triathlon today, my sister is doing the live onsite commentary (she’s a two time Olympic triathlete for reference :-) ).

Also, her wife is doing the commentary on FrTV.

Annoyingly in the UK I can’t actually listen to either of them!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Alex Yee Gold !

The real race may start later when he has to run to get to the toilet in time

johndoh
    Free Member

Wow – what a morning – with 500m (or so) metres to go in both the Men’s Triathlon and Women’s Quad Skulls, we were hopeful of silvers (at best). Just wow.

And I missed both of them as I was on client calls FFS.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.