Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The Expanse (Spoilers)
  • northernmatt

Had a search and couldn’t see a specific thread.

Just watched the last episode, annoying that they only did 6 when previous seasons were 10+. Anyway, shortness aside, the whole thing just seemed a bit rushed. Like they had filmed the previous 5 episodes at the same pace as the first 5 seasons and then just “screw it, we’ll ram all this into one episode”. Quite a lot of loose ends and no season 7 to tie them off.

I just thought the whole ending was a bit meh compared to how outstandingly good the whole thing has been from the outset.

rOcKeTdOg

There’s still another book due too. Highly recommend those as a read

northernmatt

I have the 4th one in the pile of stuff to read

thols2

Apparently it was just down to budget – they were given enough money to make six episodes to finish things off. I don’t understand why they included the sub-plot about the magic dogs/resurrection though, that was obviously meant to be a major thing in the next season, no point having it if they have no plans to continue.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Apparently it was just down to budget – they were given enough money to make six episodes to finish things off. I don’t understand why they included the sub-plot about the magic dogs/resurrection though, that was obviously meant to be a major thing in the next season, no point having it if they have no plans to continue.

There was also all the stuff about the Laconians and protomolecule research (mad scientist from season 2(?) suddenly popping back up again all excited about… something…) which was obviously heading somewhere too 🤔

Also Prax’s wee cameo which looked important plot-wise but got left hanging…

Amazon teeing up a feature film or other series spin-off or something?

scruffywelder
    Free Member

There was also all the stuff about the Laconians and protomolecule research (mad scientist from season 2(?) suddenly popping back up again all excited about… something…) which was obviously heading somewhere too 🤔

Also Prax’s wee cameo which looked important plot-wise but got left hanging…

Amazon teeing up a feature film or other series spin-off or something?

MrPottatoHead

I got the impression from reading around that cast and crew are hoping that even though Amazon pulled the plug it will get picked up by someone else.

Agree they packed a lot in the final. Only twigged half way through it was last episode as they hastily tied up the main story arc. It was a fantastic episode though.

I guess they’ve still got some wiggle room to pick up the Laconia thread if someone continues it.

sirromj

Trust STW! 🙄
    The last episode was awesome!

shermer75
    Free Member

Had a search and couldn’t see a specific thread.

The Expanse Season 5 – Landing near you on 16th December

househusband

I’ve got through all of The Expanse seasons over the last several months and it has been the most compelling entertainment I’ve ever seen; so much so I’ve had to pace myself at times.

The first book arrived a few days ago.

scud
    Free Member

I listen to the Pilot TV podcast (from Empire magazine) and they interviewed a couple of the cast, who stated they did not want it to stop, and that the hope was that it would of continued for another season.

I really enjoyed and not usually a big sci-fi person, but this and first season of Altered Carbon, i thought were great.

I also love Shohreh Aghdashloo’s ability to swear whilst sounding like a female Tom Waits..

richmtb

Agree there were too many threads left unresolved and it seemed rushed.

Why was that leader on Laconia supplying weapons to Inaros? What was his agneda?
    What’s with the resurrection bald dogs? How are they linked to the protomolecule?
    What’s with the missing protomolecule sample in the Solar System, who has it what’s their agenda?
    What’s going to happen to Fillp Nagata?
    What’s going to happen to Mellisa Yao?

Not sure I really liked how they dealt with Inaros in the end. Yes the Ring Gate entities had been briefly covered before but they just seemed like a convenient plot device to prevent a final showdown between the Pella and the Rocinante.

Don’t get me wrong it didn’t shit the bed like GoT. Holden didn’t suddenly go nuts and fly to Ceres and nuke all the Belters before being shot by Amos! It’s just a shame to see it go out with a bit of a whimper rather than a bang.

WildHunter2009

Pretty sure it’s being set-up for a feature length movie to cover the next phase. Bigger SFX budget will come in handy for the stuff that happens after in the books.

rOcKeTdOg

The first book arrived a few days ago.

The first 6 are unput downable, kept me entertained through the first lockdown sat in the garden, the next two not so much but then it was more planet based than space & the big jump forward in characters age annoyed me

Why was that leader on Laconia supplying weapons to Inaros? What was his agneda?
    What’s with the resurrection bald dogs? How are they linked to the protomolecule?
    What’s with the missing protomolecule sample in the Solar System, who has it what’s their agenda?
    What’s going to happen to Fillp Nagata?
    What’s going to happen to Mellisa Yao?

Read the books!

beej

Anyone else spot the names of a couple of the marines..?

Hicks, Ripley.

There’s a ship called the “Mark Watney” mentioned in Babylon’s Ashes too.

Last episode did feel a bit rushed, but very enjoyable.

argee

Amazon picked this up a couple of years ago and i think it was just not sold that well, which is a shame, it was a huge campaign to get it picked up, doubt it’ll happen again, just too much cost associated with it.

The last season was a bit weird, i’ve said it a few times on the netflix thread, it was covering a few things, and they knew it was only going for the final 6 episodes, amazon didn’t help by doing the one a week crap as well.

The last episode did settle a few things, the ending for Marcos was almost the same as the books, relationships were built up and it gave some closure, they did leave the open ended bit about the protomolecule and so on, but that’s pretty standard these days.

fazzini

It’s been an amazing series, but I still cannot get away from the fact they use my father-in-law’s microwave on the Roci.

Kuco

Thought this season was a bit meh and struggled to keep with it.

Anyone else spot the names of a couple of the marines..?

Hicks, Ripley.

Yea I noticed that there was also a Hudson.

scotroutes

And a W. Riker, K. Thrace and S. Conner etc. All the names are sci-fi characters.

I thought the ending was actually pretty good.

The Pet Semetary/Protomolecule story was never going to reach a conclusion. I think it was enough that Duerte showed he’d only been using Inaros to buy time. Prax’s cameo just showed that individuals on all sides were willing to take risks for the greater good – probably one of the things that convinced Avasarala that long-term peace was possible if folk could just resolve their differences a bit. The Roci crew are all in a good place – their story has come to an end anyway. Drummer is in charge of the Belters and the Belters have an equal share in the future with control of the ring.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘The Expanse (Spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.