Viewing 24 posts - 281 through 304 (of 304 total)
  • the bike industry is suffering
  • andreasrhoen
    Free Member

.just convince the ‘industry’ (‘they’ meet every other wednesday in the back room of the Horse & Jockey at 7.40

every wednesday?
    Was nobody there yesterday!
    😥

Del

The only downside is that when riding with people who have 29’ers it is definitely harder to keep up

Or, you know, buy a 29er and get back in the game 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Only the even wednesdays.Duh.
    I was in error in my lst post.Crabs don’t know how 🙁

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I was in error in my lst post.

no problem so.
    My old needle printer is still struggling to get the whole thread printed out so.
    Guess needs some WD40.

“The industry” will get the print out the next Horse & Jockey meeting then. Including all these details about BOOST induced pain and evil things like that.

Stuff will change soon!
    8)

Will give me a chance as well to check this:

the bike industry is suffering

The whole bunch will be there!
    Suffering.
    😥

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not suffering, insufferable maybe…

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Nah-I’ll just wait for 26″ to come around again! 😀

jonnyboi

Did I miss the bit where ‘the industry’ wasn’t trying to wring as much cash out of us consumers as humanly possible?

bencooper
    Free Member

Just like every other industry, then – except the bike industry isn’t so good at it…

matt_outandabout

Did I miss the bit where ‘the industry’ wasn’t trying to wring as much cash out of us consumers as humanly possible?

It was concurrent with the time when standards kept moving on and on each year, in an attempt to make things obselete and bng’s.

I’ve never been a sucker for silly money spends, latest fad or 7.3% stiffer parts. I’m happy on a hardtail. On deore. With reliable, durable clothes and parts. All bought in sales. Value is not cheapest, but it shouldn’t be expensive.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

…see page 1…8 … 😉

I’m not suffering, insufferable maybe…

happy bloke!
    That’s the way it should be…
    😯

catdras
    Free Member

Road bikes got it worst. The introduction of discs is a good thing but the roll out was very badly done. From MTB its known that thru axles are better. Anyone that’s used qr with discs knows that sometimes they go in wonky and they rub. Bolt thru fits right everytime. Some road bike brands decided on 135mm qrs, I think trek made 130mm disc frames, some went bolt thru up front qr rear and rather than settling on 15mm bolt thru up front they’ve since changed to 12mm. This means road disc wheels have to be compatible with all these standards while not being necessarily as good as if they didn’t have to be compatible with all those standards. Some people have to buy a wheel set and then spend another £30 on adapter sets.

variflex
    Free Member

I think FROG have got it spot on and chosen a sensible part of the market to specialize in….by basically not being too greedy.

Kids market is a constant as they keep growing until mid teens. Their bikes arent complicated, but solid and well built with a reliable spec. The sales model works really well too by including the dealers and not doing direct only. They have taken a chunk of the kids market off the direct brands in a relatively small amount of time. My LBS’s sales lead up to xmas was 90% Frog bikes with a few nice high end MTB, eMTB and Roadies thrown in.

DickBarton

Agreed about Frog…like Island bikes about 5 years ago until they also jumped on the greed model.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Agreed about Frog

had a look at the Frog homepage. Smart!
    Like it.

jumped on the greed model

what’s the greed model?
    😯

molgrips
    Free Member

It seems to me that these days mountain bikes are so different to what I need

Not read the whole thread but this is bobbins. Every kind of bike still on the market from gravel bikes to rigid Surly to basic hardtails besides enduro bikes. There is no question that MTBs are WAY more diverse than they used to be. And good thing too.

You must be reading the wrong mags.

molgrips
    Free Member

jumped on the greed model

Bit nasty of you to assume a manufacturer is being purely greedy just because prices have gone up. I’d bet Islabike are the antithesis of greed.

Have you read the ‘what kid’s bike?’ threads on here? What’s the immediate recommendation? Second hand Islabike. What do you think that does to their sales? I wouldn’t be surprised if that why prices have gone up, cos they are selling fewer new bikes. That and Brexit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m happy on a hardtail. On deore.

That’s relable, inexpensive and highly functional Deore as produced by this bike industry you hate so much?

Perhaps it’s a good idea I haven’t read the thread! So much fail on one page 🙂

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

what’s the greed model?

o.k.. Thanks.
    Understand now.
    For some greed model is:

purely greedy just because prices have gone up

for others not.
    🙄

mindmap3
    Free Member

Bit nasty of you to assume a manufacturer is being purely greedy just because prices have gone up. I’d bet Islabike are the antithesis of greed.

Have you read the ‘what kid’s bike?’ threads on here? What’s the immediate recommendation? Second hand Islabike. What do you think that does to their sales? I wouldn’t be surprised if that why prices have gone up, cos they are selling fewer new bikes. That and Brexit.

Plus they try and pay their staff a half decent wage.

DickBarton

Greed model…like many other brands that want to be seen as premium they have massive prices for what is essentially being offered for less by other manufacturers.
    Isla do now have a pro range (I think that is the name), but is truly extortionate for a kids bike (that may last a year until it is outgrown).
    I’m all for people riding the best they can afford but the prices for many things aren’t priced to cover costs (although they have gone up – but most wages haven’t gone up at the same rate) but more because we, the mtb buying public, have shown we are prepared to pay it…so the greed continues…we are a small number but apparently have a lot of disposable income (not everyone does).

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’ve seen the term greed thrown about a lot in recent threads. Have the people who assume a brand is being greedy checked the profits of the companies? Have Isla started making a much bigger profit since they put prices up, or is it just to cover costs or improved bikes? If these brands that have put up their prices arent making more money than they were before then it’s not greed.

Obviously it’s for you to decide whether the increased cost is worth it, but it’s a different thing to greed. Not all brands cater for the premium end of the market, so criticising the ones that do is a bit stupid. From a customer’s perspective it’s good that there is a wide range of bikes at different price points. If you don’t have a lot of disposable income then there’s still a lot of brands out there that make decent affordable bikes.

IdleJon

catdras – Member

Road bikes got it worst. The introduction of discs is a good thing but the roll out was very badly done. From MTB its known that thru axles are better. Anyone that’s used qr with discs knows that sometimes they go in wonky and they rub…..

Put wheel in frame, tighten QR, spin wheel and check for rubbing. If it is, then loosen QR and straighten wheel. Not at all difficult, and nothing to do with the introduction of through axles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah but every time I use the QR’s on my road bike I realise there is a much neater and simpler solution out there on the bike sat next to it…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Put wheel in frame, tighten QR, spin wheel and check for rubbing. If it is, then loosen QR and straighten wheel. Not at all difficult

If you had seen the ways wheels/qr’s have been fitted wrong that I have over the years.You would realise that it’s beyond the scope of a reasonable proportion of people who just buy a bike to ride (‘non’ cyclist).

Viewing 24 posts - 281 through 304 (of 304 total)

The topic ‘the bike industry is suffering’ is closed to new replies.