Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 596 total)
  • The 2018 XC Racing Thread
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

Sorry but as an add-on I’m also planning on being at the Scott. How do I recover in time for that in two weeks? Thoughts?

My current thinking is a few EASY recovery rides this week with some short high cadence efforts on Friday (if the legs feel up to it). Endurance road ride Sat (3hrs)

Next week plan to do some Climbing intervals (3min on 3min off) Tues and some ramped power intervals Thurs. Recovery 45min spin Friday. Then a pre race workout before the Scott (normally 4 or 5 30s efforts and one 5min effort over a short 1hr spin)

Kryton57

Great write up Buzzard, and well done I’m pleased you were able to get a really good result.     Recovery wise, I’m resting completely until the Scott, with just a Club social ride on this Saturday for volume, a recovery spin on Sunday, and perhaps 2 x short “openers” during the week leading up to the Scott.   My TSS is not predicted to be back at 0 (zero) until next Wednesday!

@ Ferrals – thanks for posting that and yes.  I’ve definitely lost my top end and I’m thinking that with time/the bad winter I haven’t managed enough volume for BeMC, timed with fatigue at the end of Winter training and my recent races, International travel and a stressful work load.   In retrospect my last 3 weeks should have been less about racing XCO and more about lengthy Z2 rides, much more time in the MTB saddle and resting I feel.  Its dull but probably correct, I just didn’t get hardly any long XC rides done before BeMC.

I’m going to post a bit more wary on here – and with the greatest respect for others that are posting when I say this – I am of a nature that I take to comments quite personally/negatively and in the respect I don’t help myself but opening myself up to them.  There are those on here that don’t train the way some of us/I do or with a coach and they don’t understand the process, or the personal nature of the learning involved, I’m learning that too – see Gaz Hursts posts earlier.  I have a good coach, we’ll have a chat and see what I need to do to get better for the Marathons and my new target – the 24/12 12 hours solo.     At least I have light on my side now to get the volume in, perhaps thats what I needed.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Kryton – from my perspective your posts on here have been massively enlightening. I’m not as “structured” as you (whatever that means really) and I dont have a coach but hearing your process has given me great insights and also perspective.  Without this thread and you I would never have taken Day1 BeMC so sensibly and likely not have achieved what I did but more importantly not had nearly as much fun doing it.  Really appreciate it. Hope to see you blasting away from me up the first climb in Wantage.

I’m new to this short recovery between events and Wantage is not really a specific target for me but would like to give it a proper go. I guess we will see when I get on the bike tomorrow for a recovery spin. hopefully the legs respond. My lower back, hips are still aching (really struggled with these on Day3) so that could well limit too much riding this week.

Kryton57

not had nearly as much fun doing it

Yeah, this isn’t obvious is it?  Its a brilliant weekend in a stunning location, I had an excellent weekend with Rollindonut & 1T and we had some good laughs.  I think I would have got through day 3 if it hadn’t rained, but it sapped my remaining energy and once I was off, living to fight for another day seemed the best thing to do.

My lower back, hips are still aching

Yup, me too!

ferrals
    Free Member

Keep posting Kryton, will be good to hear of your progress.

I’m slightly frustrated at the moment. Next weekend is my main target xc race – its the welsh champs (not that I’ll be anywhere near competing for that) and its a course i enjoy and really suits me being hilly with good steep lengthy climbs. In my current ‘structured-not-structured’ training regime I’d been really pleased to put in a couple of 150km (mostly offroad) training weeks with some good hill climb intervals and also been getting on top of stretching and foam rolling for maintenance and promoting recovery. Was looking forward to an easy taper week and hoping to turn up on sunday fresh and focused.  As it is work had gone into overdrive, I spent all of last night awake stressing and have to spend the next four days driving all over the country so I’ll get no riding in and will be exhausted come the weekend. Pretty much the perfect example of my previous post, the best laid plans and all. Still lookin forward to it though 🙂

ernie

@Kyton57 I can feel the pain you are going through:  I spent close to 5 years being coached, 2yr by the head coach for British Cycling Paralympic programme and 3yr by a professor in sports physiology.  The experience taught me some valuable lessons: coaching is as much trial and error as it is science and trying to replicate what works one week may not work another.  Even more so when you throw in all the ‘noise’ created by life outside of riding (work, kids, social life, etc.).  Under both coaches I did reach my mental limit; which resulted in me spending time away from a training plan and spending time just enjoying riding.  This may have been triggered by anything from a bad result or not hitting the power zones in successive days. Coaching is all about pushing your body and mind.  I really think it is often forgotten how mentally taxing training can be and coaches need feedback to be aware of this.

Fast forward a few years and I am now coach free but use all that experience to self coach, its working I think.

Kryton57

Ernie, that’s very valuable – thanks for posting it.

crosshair
    Free Member

Yeah don’t take it personally Kryton- it’s fascinating stuff. I’m sure there’s loads of us that would love to be coached if we could justify the expense so it’s always interesting to hear about experiences.

Speaking generically, I’ve always thought having a coach would be MOST useful for dealing with the very situations you’ve outlined- juggling work, fatigue, family and other stresses. There’s so many times on a generic TR plan when I think “hmmm, I’m  tired from banging in fence posts all day but the plan says this” and that’s where I’ve always pictured a coach as being the one to save ones self from ones self IYSWIM.

I for one hope your faith in them and their methods is vindicated with some cracking Scott Marathon results- you’ve certainly put in enough effort 👍🏻

weeksy

Gutted i’m not making the Wantage race, it’s my local stomping ground and i know the routes/terrain well. Not that it means i can climb quicker than i do just because i know it… But you feel a bit ‘at home’.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I raced the 3rd Round of the Nationals at Glentress at weekend.  What a fantastic weekend.  I knew the course was going to be a tough one, but my god that was tough!  Proper old school XC with long climbs and long techy descents. In a nutshell the course was one long climb and one long descent with fantastic weather to boot.

I knew after the Saturday practice that the course suited my mountain goat rivals more so than myself and had planned to adopt the just hang on for grim death on the climbs and make haste on the descents approach.  That being said I felt strong after a decent taper week leading up to it and knew that I was probably in the best shape I could have possibly been in.

I didn’t get a great start (again!) as the door closed right in front of me off the start line.  I still managed an all time 10 minute power record from there onwards though!  That led straight into 5 laps of the closing racing I’ve ever had.  Lap after lap I changed place with my main rival on the climb, I had to dig deep, like really deep.  Somehow I managed to hang on as he attacked, then I attacked, the he attacked, then I got tunnel vision, then repeat.  I would always pull out a 10 second gap or so on the descent and then I’d have to prepare myself for the battle up the climb again.  As I started the the climb at the begining of the last lap I was truly prepared to surrender and let him catch me and pull away….  but that didn’t happen!  Knowing I just had another 12-15 mins of outright suffering up the climb I just got my head down, said a prayer and cracked on.  Occasionally glancing over my shoulder to see the gap extending was a welcome sign.  I done him in, on a course that definitely swayed in his favour and I was properly chuffed!!!  Just one long descent to go….

I rocked over the line in 16th in Expert Cat, 8 seconds clear of my rival.  Whilst a mediocre result at best, it made the last 8-9 months of training worth every second.

weeksy

That’s fantastic ! Well done indeed. I’m exceptionally jealous !

ernie

Nice ride R8.  Great to hear you had a great battle…and won!

@crosshair My second coach was fantastic for being available for tailoring the plan to fit me.  Being a Prof, training athletes was an opportunity to test theory in the real world (he would tell us when he did).  With five years coaching plans under my belt I know what works and can now happily chop and change as the mood suits me.  If I were to get a coach again, I would only go the way of someone who can give me a plan that fits me and my life, not a generic off the shelf plan.  As you said, a coach should prescribe a plan to fit you, your strengths/weaknesses and more importantly, for those of us who this is just a hobby fit it into the hours we have available.
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div></div>
    </div>

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Few snaps –

Top of the long loose and techy A line. Wouldn’t be so bad if you weren’t at max HR piling into it.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Being chased down the rock garden

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Finally getting that gap

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome pics 😎😎

adsh
    Free Member

Race Beastway tired or Z2 ride…..

I presume you can enter at the event?

Kryton57

You can ADSH.

I’m going, but to watch Kryton Jnr race.  I shall be resting after 30 mins of some Z2 with minor SS intervals  🙂

Social Media shows a “fast” course tonight, making use of the outer hard surface.

Tiger6791

Might be free in 2 weeks and Wantage isn’t far.

Never done a Marathon but is the 80k the distance to do? ( I can ride 80k no bother, just not sure how quick )

What sort ‘average’ of time are these done in?

Kryton57

What sort ‘average’ of time are these done in?

Last year, 3hrs or just below for the winners, around 3.5 – 4h for the rest of us.

Tiger6791

Sorry to ask but what’s the terrain like? Is it technical or is it doubletrack open country stuff?

Is it a self supported job or is it like a Sportive with water stops?

Full suss 120mm 29er or fully rigid bikepack 29er?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

I too raced BEMC and loved every second, the racing was amazing and the scenery was at times breathtakingly good!

Second time racing a stage race so still learning lots but loved it more than XC racing so far this year. I was amazed with how many British riders there was but I am afraid I didn’t know any of you.

I will defiantly be there next year and as with many of you will also be at the next Scott MTB Marathon. I race in Renvale Race Team kit on a red Top Fuel. Feel free to say hi!

weeksy

Sorry to ask but what’s the terrain like?

Ridgeway, hard packed, double tracks, grassy, typical of this area.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

So looks like I’ve slipped a disc / trapped a nerve in my neck this week!  Bugger, hope it sorts itself out soon.

The next round of the Nationals is Pheonix Bike Park in Suffolk.  Anyone have any ideas what this place is like?

Kryton57

Dry, dusty hardpack.  Long grass start/finish straight, several short very steep 10m ramp ups, lengthy single track winding through bracken and WC style 20ft high wooden bridge leading to more single track with some doubles, berms & jumps, and two National A line features of note: a) a a wooden ramp to about 3ft drop, and a near vertical 10m drop in over some railway sleepers down into a gravel sharp left berm.

Parking is in 2 big fields one of which has a small bike shop. Its exposed, so when its hot, its very hot.  Tyres should be for loose over hardpack, bring lots of fluid.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks Kryton, that’s a great description.  Not much climbing then?  Other than the short rampy bits?  Wondering if I’ll have the edge over the mountain goats…

Kryton57

No.  I climbed 250m in 6 laps / 90 mins last time.  Its the short steep stuff the get your legs, the rest of the course is flat out.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Awesome, not quite the 900m+ in 5 laps at Glentress then!

john_l
    Free Member

a 10m drop!? Bloody hell.

Kryton57

“Drop in” aka near vertical slope.

You can probably get some idea from the photos from the MSG round here:

http://www.basilthorntonphotography.com/portfolio463541p1.html

Kryton57

Not XC related so a slight aside…  A good reminder today that its not all about Training plans & races.  Eschewing a planned 2h Z2, I attended the Saturday (Road) club ride in the Social group to keep things at least a little easy.  Really enjoyed riding and chatting, and smashing the local finishing sprint followed by Coffee and cake.

After BeMC last week my legs feel really good, and 84k on a sunny day it couldn’t have been more enjoyable.

adsh
    Free Member

^I’m jealous.

5hr Z2 Road ride for me. Lovely weather and stunning route but ouch. Amazing how much you can hurt your legs with Z2.

Kryton57

Slightly embarrassing that I don’t know the answer – as a 46yo Vet, can I ride Sport category in the Nationals?    Suits me better to ride Saturday not Sunday in the June event.

ferrals
    Free Member

Round two of the Welsh series incorporating the Welsh champs today. The worst race I’ve had in ages. It’s been a busy week but went out to spin the legs for an hour yesterday and felt great. Today I had nothing in the legs at all, started last and went backwards! Can’t really understand why I went so badly. Totally demoralised. After half a lap I was just in a solo time trial, by half way through my hr was dropping and the last lap was firmly in z3. There were issues with race timing so we started an hour late which messed up my normal eating (I’d eaten lunch at 10.30 as normal and my energy bar at 12.30 expecting a 1.30 start before hearing of the delay) but everyone was in the same boat. Bit gutted as a climbing course should have suited me.

Kryton57

Bad luck Ferrals, I can’t empathise as that has remarkably the same parallels as the previous MSG XCO I posted – if you find out what was wrong please let me know. 🙂

You mentioned before about beating highly stressed at the moment, perhaps that effects us more than we think?

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers Kryton. Yeah maybe it does. Thinking about it i was pretty stressed on the day too as well as underlying work stress: It was a fraught morning with our toddler before i left the house; then a 2.5hr drive because of slow traffic (nearly turned around hlaf way through the drive thinking i wouldnt get there in time); I was pissed off before the start by the long delay in the race timetable, followed by being told over the tannoy we were starting at 2.15 prompt and then everyone still waiting there at 2.30 for the commisare to arrive at the start line; and then i had a fairly frank discussion with the commisaire on the start line (being the welsh champs there should have been a masters cat for sport and expert riders but it hadnt been organised, the com. didnt know who should be in masters and expert had already been set off). So all in all not the best way to start a race!

Actually, thinking about what you said before about caffiene, normally i have an instnat beofre leaving the for a race but as we were out made an accidentally stronger than normal real coffee which did leave me feeling a bit jittery.. though this would have been hours before the race started.

edit: just seen results.. dead last (though only out of 7) and 18 minutes back from the leader 🙁 wondering if i should just put a pin in racing for a bit

Kryton57

I doubt its the caffeine – my shots were 5 x cans of coke 45 mins pre race 😀  But that sounds a very stressful day…

I didn’t think I was hugely stress at my race either, but last weeks “normal” week at work had me feeling like everything was happening in slow motion, and that I might be bored.  I guess before that plates were spinning faster than I thought.  I also wonder if BeMC was playing on my mind.

Well anyway, I’m going to ride a national in June in Sport cat with no expectations other than doing a race for racings sake on familiar ground, so I’m interested to see if the lack of expectation, lower workload and no international travel makes a difference in my performance!

john_l
    Free Member

Didn’t ride the Battle in the Bowl yesterday, bit took the bar instead to keep everyone refreshed. Excellent day’s racing with fantastic views of the course from the event area – thoroughly recommended for next year when hopefully it’ll be over two days with camping on the saturday night.

Only marred by smacking my head on the steel trailer door at the end and spending 5 hours in A&E getting it stapled back together (not recommended!).

weeksy

my shots were 5 x cans of coke 45 mins pre race

Say what now ? You had 5 cans of coke pre-race  ? and we’re wondering why it all went wrong ?

ernie

2018 racing takes another delay. I have Scarlett Fever. Bang goes the southern regional champs and my plan of getting a demo good gridding for the national champs

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 596 total)

The topic ‘The 2018 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.