Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 596 total)
  • The 2018 XC Racing Thread
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

@Kryton57 – I’m heading down Friday night, practice Saturday morning then racing Sunday. What category will you be racing in?  I’ll keep an eye out for you!  What’s your race number?

@w00dster
    – check out Midweek Madness MTB on Facebook. It’s either that or the Crank It series in the North West

Kryton57

Predominately Red shirt/kit, Black carbon HT, Sport Cat, no 439.   I shall be arriving in time for the 10am practise, would be good to say hello.

If I get dropped off the back of my first national please promise not to tell anyone here 🙂

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ll keep an eye out for you. Looks like @padkinson is going to be there too. Would be good to say hello!

Not sure what kit I’ll be wearing for practice but I’ll be number 516 on a Black full sus with a lefty!

In the meantime I’ll be panicing that a 32t up front and 11t at the back could get me dropped on some of the fast bits. What do you reckon?!

iain65
    Free Member

Jimbob – I’m the same, thinking about putting a 34 on having watched the video. I’m a 10 at the rear, only time I’ve come close to running out before was at the first Round at Sherwood. Will take one and see if needed.

Kryton57

This is my 4th time there and I run 32/34 oval 32-11 no issues.

Kryton57

full sus

Hmmm, that has me thinking, a hard Phoenix can be quite physical, so shall I take the Spark, although I’m hung up on the 4lb weight difference between bikes…  then again I’m not going for results…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’d probably race a hardtail looking at the course given the option but I’ve only got the Cannondale Scalpel. I’m not worried about weight given there’s so little climbing. Compared the the last round anyway. To mitigate any weight penalties I’ll just pedal a bit harder!

My only issue with the scalpel is the lockout does front and rear together. To it’s fully rigid or fully open!  I could bleed the lockout in a way that the rear is always locked though…. which would make it a hardtail..!

iain65
    Free Member

I went on a very expensive weight shed on my Top Fuel, lost a kg of the standard spec 9.9, quite pleased with it but skint now! Could have done with it at Dalby and Glentress.

I tend to only use a full lock out or fully open so not such a problem for me.

Maybe see you at the weekend, I’m off 309 in GV, orange kit, orange Trek.

cheers,

Iain.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Righty Ho, here’s some photos from WEMBO Euro 24hr Solo Champs in Slovakia, it got an awful lot muddier, slippier and wetter than it looks here.

After 4 hours, they postponed the event for 2 hours due to imminent ground strike lightening and epic levels of thunder, so all in all we raced for just under 22 hours. I managed 30 laps, 279km and around 7000m of climbing,

For those that like numbers (based on Garmin recordings):

Average heart rate –  132bpm / Max Heart rate – 168bpm

Average Power – 126W (not exatly amazing) / Peak Power – 725W

Average Speed – 13.2kph / Max Speed – 55.8kph

Max Temp – 30 degC / Average Temp – 15 degC

9’ish KM lap, 250’ish meters of climbing

Fastest lap – 32:58 min / Average around 40 mins

In the region of 10,000 Calories burnt, 20 SiS mini bars, 30 bottles of SiS Electrolyte, 20 odd SiS Isotonic Gels, loads of nuts, cranberries, crisps and some pasta, a coupe of cans of Red Bull and some Coke

Kryton57

Brilliant Steve, theres a picture for your mantel piece.

I think my decision is made – had some physio on my lower back this morning which is “starting to lock up”, so thats the FS then.  Position isn’t important so I may as well reduce the risk of injury for the rest of the seasons A races.

Thats saved me cleaning a bike tonight at least.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m just packing up ready for the 4 hour drive to Kentford tonight!

Kryton57

Let me just preface this by saying I thoroughly enjoyed my day.  I didn’t manage to knowingly bump into anyone except Gaz Hurst who is racing tomorrow – good luck Gaz.

I went in a little tired as this is a “training race” and part of a mini Build phase toward the next Regional on 1st July, so no real taper and a pretty big 5:30hr ride last Sunday to boot.  \

On the start, I knew my legs weren’t quite as good as they should be but was amazed by the quality of the Sport Cat.  Now, I have a decent sprint, but lining up at the back (I haven’t raced a National before) I couldn’t get past anyone on the initial Sprint.  I also have a decent phase two, so I settled for a bit, then as we rounded the bottom corner to come back on itself I kicked again, passing 5 riders.     Slowly but surely though after lap 1.5 all but 2 had passed me, so I just focused on riding as hard as I can to keep those behind, and try to force the guy in front… who slowly pulled away.

And so it was for 7 laps, 20.1kmph and a paltry 200w average.  I have spent 100% of the race in my Anerobic zone so I know thats as good as it will get today pretty much, I was just in it above my level.   I eventually finished 33rd (5 points yay!) and last (doh) with 10 DNF’s behind me.

So there we go, a really good day, racing as best I could but a bit out of my depth this time.  I’m smiling now, and having a beer, must do that again next year I think 🙂

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, course is dry and very fast.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it. I saw you out on course and gave you a few words of encouragement!

My friend Christian raced sport today. Managed to tear a big hole in his sidewall and had to run to the pits from the drop. We changed his wheel and got him on his way fairly quickly. Think he ended up 10th or so. My other friend had a big crash on the first drop after loosing his front tyre on the turn in. Looked nasty!

Glad I’ve got my full sus tomorrow. The course was very bumpy in practice today. Debating if I should lower the tyre pressure a bit but fear the super fast berms could burp some air from them if I do. I also think a 38t chainring would be pretty reasonable if I had one!

Not sure it’s a national worthy course, lots of flat turns around what looked like wasteland…. Took me a while to talk myself into the 2nd drop after watching the first 2 out of 3 riders in practice have big crashes on it though!

Weather forecast looks hot and sunny tomorrow so it should be a nice day. Shame it’s a 5 hour drive home after a 3:15pm race start time.

padkinson
    Free Member

I saw you there too Kryton (I think)! I was parked just across from you, in a (one of about 10,000 there) VW T5, I didn’t want to distract you by starting a weird IRL forum conversation right before your race!

I’ll be racing tomorrow, albeit slightly tentatively. Last night I managed to plant my face into the ground rather firmly, tearing a cut in the bit between my top lip and nose. Luckily I didn’t land on my already-fractured wrist or nose, but my lip looks like it’s stuffed with grapes, and I’ve got ten stitches in. Went around the course ok today, although I’m avoiding the second drop. I know I’d be fine on it, I’m just really not into risking crashing again. The only real problem for the race is drinking without dribbling, apart from that is should be the usual arse kicking I get in elite.

iain65
    Free Member

Not sure I fully enjoyed the course today, had to also give myself a bit of a talking to before getting over the two drops, still not sure if I am A or B tomorrow, will have to work that out first lap! Some bits were good fun though, just too many tabletops and flat corners for me.

Kryton57

I did see you padkinson – ive seen a pic of you somewhere but with a helmet on, and when you got out the van i thought “ is that padkinson?”

The scraped top lip also helped as a disguise.   I almost came over to ask to borrow some spray lube actually when i saw your box of tools as my saddle/post was creaking annoyingly, so yes that was me sitting opposite you on the boot of my car going through some lap visualisation

@jimbob
    , i didnt hear you sorry, but as mentioned pretty much all inwas hearing was my heart rate 😀

i was quite happy on my hardtail but did wonder if through some of the bumps and ruts a FS would be an advantage. This is the first time ive used a mezcal though and on several occasions i thought id lost pressure as on hard turns it made that swooshing sound, but no.  Must be a characteristic of the tyre as it started and ended at 20psi.

ernie

Wow my legs hurt after hacking around Phoenix Bike Park!

Last weekend I tried racing again at the central race at Black Park. To cut a long story short I came second behind Ade Lansley.  I was happy and hoping for a good ride at the National.

Tuesday the race detail arrived and I had an (expected) poo gridding (I guess this happens when you don’t race). I lined up second row from the back with 7 laps to make time. Gun goes and off we go. I made up some positions on the starting charge and then hit the single rack and the procession began. On lap 4 I made contact with a group of two fighting for 5th/6th. I pulled and attacked, led out the last lap only to get passed on the final rocky climb, I just didn’ have the legs to regain that position. So 6th place it is. I’m very chuffed. As I’ve said before, after all the asthma issues i had last year I’m just happy to be able to ride let alone race and finish close to the pointy end.

The course was cool to race but boring to ride. Very close racing  and as I got told a whole ago; nationals you are racing the series, not a one off race. The drops were sometimes intimidating and certainly helped decide the results. I know what I need to train now and hopefully a better gridding and a result is on the cards at the national champs.

I’ now recovering with a glass of wine in the garden and trying not to think about getting up for work tomorrow.

jako

Sorry, late to this thread. 2018 was going to be the first season where I did som3 actual racing, focusing on marathon stuff. And the season ended before i5 even started.

Similar to Padkinson (hope you are on the mend) I was out for a leisurely spin 3 weeks ago, and bam, out of nowhere I was on the deck.  In short, paramedics, 5 days in hospital and now at home with arm in brace waiting for a fractured humerus to heal.  This in addition to groin strain and the usual scrapes and bruises.   Unfortunately the humerus is one of those bones, that takes longest to heal with a long recovery period thereafter.  So that is the 2018 season out of the window..

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Sorry to hear it @jako guess it adds some fuel to the fire for next year!

Just got back from Phoenix Bike Park myself and echo the comments about a pretty dull course although it wasn’t quite as bad to race on.

Absolute sufferfest! New threshold heart rate for me and averaged 186bpm over 7 laps for over 90 minutes.  Had an OK start but wasn’t going to do anything special with a 32t and 11t rear which felt a little limiting at times. Especially the track parallel to the trainline. Conditions were super hot and dusty. Anwway for 5 laps I settled into a group of 3 where we worked together. Eventually one got spat out the back and the other guy managed to latch onto the elites when they come through to lap us. Eventually I finished 14th in Expert and not far behind the 2 riders in front. Really happy with that, took both A lines and taught myself how to jump mid race!

Think I spotted @padkinson in the warm up circles. The wrist brace and scabbed top list confirmed that. I would have said hello but you were getting called up for gridding.

Gave Iain a few cheers in the vets race this morning too.

Seems quite a few people had some nasty crashes this weekend and even one of the strong Elite guys came unstuck somewhere with a face plant and a broken arm as a result!

Good weekend for me, consistent laps and a top result so I’m happy.

weeksy

Well done Jimbob, you’ve come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months thats for sure. Top job 🙂

weeksy

I guess as a couple of posts above, this one should be in the Doldrums 🙂

I’m still debating round 3 of Southern XC in a couple of weeks time. I fancy it, but due to the Cats, it would be a 6am or so leave time from the house, which if i go alone isn’t too bad, but if my boy races that’s then a proper early start getting him out of bed etc.

It’s a good 2hours+ drive from home to the track, which i’m struggling with justifying to myself in honesty… I don’t know. I’ve sort of settled myself into a more gentle mode of riding at the moment rather than head down, balls out all the time, which i expect would influence my results in the race. I’m not like some of the guys in here who can take 6 months off then come back in with a top3 lol.. .

Struggling to motivate myself for it.

Kryton57

a more gentle mode of riding at the moment rather than head down, balls out all the time

Which I suspect would do you good, e.g. rested.

weeksy

Which I suspect would do you good, e.g. rested.

Oh god i wish that were the case. Yesterday was standing in a field for 6 hours for a Footy tournament for my lad, so my legs are even tireder than usual today… stiff and achey.  Along with looking like i’ve sat next to the sun for a week 😀

crosshair
    Free Member

🙄 Hardly worthy of the doldrums thread. You want to race- just not enough to be arsed 🤣

I expect there’s a lot of injured folks who’d do anything to get out and race with very little sympathy for you!!

As for jr- he only needs to roll out of bed and eat some breakfast. Then he can sleep again in the car 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh and buy yourself a folding chair 🤣🤣🤣

weeksy

Hardly worthy of the doldrums thread. You want to race- just not enough to be arsed

thought that was the whole point of the doldrums, i don’t class injury as being a doldrums thing, motivation was my thoughts and perception.

ferrals
    Free Member

From memory you’re not doing the series just the odd race? If that’s the case, sack it off. No point racing if you can’t be bothered. Seeing all the pics and reports afterwards will have you frothing for the next one!

I missed my last planned race out of laziness, spent the day feeling guilty and now I’m already fired up for this coming weekend 🙂

weeksy

From memory you’re not doing the series just the odd race? If that’s the case, sack it off. No point racing if you can’t be bothered. Seeing all the pics and reports afterwards will have you frothing for the next one!

Plan was for the full series, but it was scuppered by being in Germany for round 2…. I do have the time booked free to allow me to do all the others though.

padkinson
    Free Member

Bloody hell that was hard!

Not because of the injuries as such, looks like it was a brutal day out for everyone. That being said, it got very exasperating losing time every lap on the second drop, and I came very close to deciding to go for it in the race, but I’m under doctors orders to not crash again!

Elite start was a bit manic, one of the french lads in front of me flipped over after a few pedal strokes, then Chris Rothwell snapped his chain (again right in front of me). I gave myself a really bad stitch trying to chase down the elite group, so had to sit up after the second lap, which probably did me well, as I most likely would have dropped right off at the end.

I didn’t really notice my lip while racing, apart from it cracking open at one point bleeding a bit. The wrist brace got a bit annoying when all  my fingers went numb, so had to do a bit of mid-race fiddling.

Owing to the small field, I actually managed my best national result in elite with 14th. Not really a massive achievement from just 27 riders, but I’ll take it.

I reckon our little team must take the title for most successful at the race: winners in grand vet male and elite women, 6th vet for ernie, 9th and 14th elite for Rich and me.

crosshair
    Free Member

🤷🏻‍♂️ I thought it was usually when someone had trained for something and then life had conspired against them.

Not being sure if you can be bothered seems a bit different??

iain65
    Free Member

I thought the Expert/Elite race looked tough with the temperature climbing, well done padkinson!

Jimbob – in case you were wondering who was cheering you on and calling you jimbob, that was me..

We had a good day out, the drops scared the hell out of me on Saturday, opted for the B lin on the first one as the time difference was minimal and I was struggling on the berm at the bottom (not the difficult bit at the top for some reason, probably because I’m sure I close my eyes and miss the braking point!). The second drop was okay and gained time on the guys around me each lap which was good. Ended up 6th in GV which is my best National result yet. My son was 18th in Youth which he was pleased with and team mates got second in vets and 6th in Expert so a good day all round.

It was a really well run event and the guy from Mud, Sweat and Gears looking after the camping area could not have more friendly or helpful, more mountain biking in Sufflok for me!

brennanpeyton
    Free Member

@padkinson Luke’s Dad here sorry to see your face that must have really hurt.  From a viewing point of view that was about the dullest thing I have ever driven 2 hrs to see.  It was a flat field with a few jumps down a railway cutting.  Don’t get me wrong I really appreciate that if you live in Suffolk there is a very limited amount you can do with a small bit of land and they had tried really hard and plainly made a great job of it..but its supposed to be the Nationals Mountain Bike Series. Luke’s Garmin showed 465ft of climbing for the race..so if blasting round a flat field is your thing it was ideal. Maybe British Cycling should have a chat with the Southern XC team as the courses have a bit more in variation/elevation.  That said I am an old git who just holds the bottles so I have no idea if it was fun for the guys racing.

Kryton57

You should get on a bike and race it at full pace, perhaps you’d feel differently.

No, its no Hadleigh but the short sharp leg burning climbs and trying to focus on landing the front wheel correctly when your chest is exploding isnt the easiest.   It likely wont appeal to climbers, and is also very different when wet.  Plenty of twisty single track with off camber turns, ruts and bumps where you no doint could see it anyway unless you’ve walked or ridden the course.

it was the same for everyone but it wasnt a flat field.  The MSG  guys are well organised and do a great job at hosting an event, might be nice to be grateful for thier efforts.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I know i’ve said the course was dull to ride.  It was better to race on but it was absolutely brilliant to Spectate on.

From the viewing area near the pits you could see 8 different parts of the course.  It was almost as exciting as racing it!

The series results have been updated with the 4th round now.  I’m 1 point ahead of my biggest rival going into the last round.  It’s going to come down to the line! So far this season has given me some seriously close racing in every race which is great.  Sometimes you can end up riding solo for most of the race but certainly not this year!

padkinson
    Free Member

It might not have looked good from the sidelines, but in elite the course made for fantastic racing. Proper cut and thrust, high speed tactics and battering each other.

Now I’m all for long climbs and descents, mostly because that’s what I’m good (*less bad) at, but variety really is the spice of life. The french word for our sport, velo-tout-terrain, is much better as far as I’m concerned, as it’s not really mountain biking, for most of us, most of the time anyway. It’s much more about covering a huge variety of different terrains at pace, which includes grassy turns and man-made jumps.

The other issue is that of parking, spectating, facilities etc. Even if you didn’t think much of the course, the eastern team nailed it in all other aspects, which is why the national series keeps coming back to them in spite of the terrain.

And a final note, don’t dismiss Suffolk as somewhere to never return to. I grew up and am still based there and do alright. Yes it’s (fairly) flat, but that builds strength as you have to sprint about the place rather than coast downhill (see Tunstall forest).

ferrals
    Free Member

Sounds a bit like the RWAS at Builth (location for many welsh races and the last national round this and last year) – no real hills to speak of and a fair bit of uninspiring terrain but I’ve never not enjoyed racing there because its so tight.

I think the spectating thing is really important too – my wife ‘enjoys’ (happily suffers?) coming to watch cx races as you can see a lot / easily access areas of the course but avoids coming to mtb races like the plague most of the time because watching people cycle along a bit of fireroad at the start/finish once every 15-20 minutes is apparently boring!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

So what’s the deal at Builth Wells?  I’ve never raced there before.  I thought there was lots of climbing?  What strengths would you need to do well there?

ferrals
    Free Member

They held a couple of nationals at Fforest fields which was an epic course with some nice big climbs but last year and this its at RWAS which is an out and out power course. You’re basically going round the differnet levels of the overflow car-park – which is better than its sounds as there are some single track sections though the adjacent woods, two rocky drops between the levels and last year there were a few wooden jump-ish features.

This is the strava segment from last years welsh champs which i think was the nationals course: Strava segment

There is a fair bit of flat gravel/grass. The climbs are a few short sharp steep (3-5m high) ramps up and then from memory two draggier climbs with quite shallow gradients. It races well.

ferrals
    Free Member

few photos of the nationals last year on roots and rain here:here

Realised I’m away that weekend which is a shame so no nationals for me this year at all – probably not a bad thing with my current fitness and mindset though!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Thanks, sounds like it might suit me like Phoenix I guess! Another sufferfest to look forward too, yay!

Anyone seen any photos from Phoenix? There were photographers everywhere.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I raced the local midweek series last night at Chorlton Waterpark just outside of Manchester. Massive turnout as always. The course is normally super flats but this year they’d found some fun new singletrack to chuck in there with a few short punchy climbs.

I wasn’t gridded but managed to start somewhere near the front. The top 4 riders quickly formed a group and worked together. 70% of the course is full on drafting / road racing territory. I was in 6th for the first lap and slowly reeled in the guy ahead. We worked together for the rest of the race but weren’t able to catch the lead group. Lap 5 was supposed to be the last lap so I emptied the tank and and attacked only to find the organisers had added an extra lap in! I nearly sat up and let the guy I’d been working with pull away but I couldn’t give up….! Managed to just about hang on for the final lap and get the better of him in a sprint for the finish from the last corner.

Top racing with a new 10 / 20 and 60 min power record!  Not bad for a Wednesday night.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 596 total)

The topic ‘The 2018 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.