Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 596 total)
  • The 2018 XC Racing Thread
  • padkinson
    Free Member

I was at the MSG on Sunday too, but I’m feeling a bit lazy so I’m going to paste what I put on facebook on here.

The Eastern XC on Sunday, being the first race with any BC points attached, attracted a few hitters from further afield, so I was pleased to take second behind strong man @rothwellchristopher 🥈. No comedy crashes this time, but I made up for by getting lost mid race and accidentally taking the C line on the only wee tech descent. Happy to find a bit of speed in the legs amidst the marathon training, ready for the season’s (drinking) peak of euro SSCX champs at Koksijde next weekend 🍺🍺
    #elbowsout

Surprised that I made it up that little tech climb 4/6 times, almost 5 with some ungainly trials jibbing after stopping. Cool to see Grayson Perry out racing again, hopefully the organisers can persuade him to make some series trophies like he did for the Beastways years back.

weeksy

2nd place is just truly fantastic… well done and massive respect. 🙂

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It was nice to watch the podium presentations and see you get on it Pad.

Going back a couple of posts about not being able to ride outside during winter due to time constraints, I would like to point out that we tend to meet at 7pm, ride 45mins to MTB trails, then stay out for 3 more hours. It’s really grueling sometimes, most of the time to be honest, but pays dividends.

Kryton57

Stuck at home today instead of travelling around Essex to a work meeting.  An opportunity arises then for 3 x 20’s in the mancave at lunchtime.  I’ve put the oil filled Rad on to 10 degrees, but not looking forward to a walk through the snow in my bibs  😀

Congrats Paddy.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

3 x 20 Kryton?

I thought you were resting?

2 x 20 is quite a big load..

Kryton57

I thought you were resting?

I was, Monday and Tuesday.  Its just a 24hr bug I had confirmed by each of us having it at home.   I’ll measure by the first 20 – if I’m struggling or HR isn’t showing as normal I’ll abandon.

ferrals
    Free Member

Going back a couple of posts about not being able to ride outside during winter due to time constraints, I would like to point out that we tend to meet at 7pm, ride 45mins to MTB trails, then stay out for 3 more hours. It’s really grueling sometimes, most of the time to be honest, but pays dividends.

No lights and to be honest no inclination to ride in the dark, especially since to ride at a decent training pace I’d be on my own.

Its only the last couple of months that I’ve been super time constrained, till end of November I was getting at least one midweek offroad ride in by working at home one day, and once this cold snap goes I’ll be commuting to work and adding an hour or so to the ride in to get the miles in.

Have to agree with Kryton though, I love it when the light gets better and you can get in a solid ride and still be ready for a day at work or with the familiy by 9ish

weeksy

no inclination to ride in the dark, especially since to ride at a decent training pace I’d be on my own.

This in spades. Sure, i could go out when the wife is home from work etc. But it would be lonely, dark, muddy… it’s not sounding massive fun if i’m honest. OK, i admit that may affect my overall performance, but that’s OK, that’s the chance i take. Middle of summer, maybe…. depths of winter… Nah, i’d rather have an hour on the turbo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Starting work at 9, yey Gods thats late

Kryton57

No lights and to be honest no inclination to ride in the dark, especially since to ride at a decent training pace I’d be on my own.

I’m similar, and Epping Forest is a bit Blair Witch also with a reputation spawned by the Krays that makes night rides alone a bit nerve racking…

everyone
    Free Member

Must be nice to stroll in that late!

ernie

Nice ride rollindoughnut!
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div></div>
    </div>

ferrals
    Free Member

Getting in for 9 is early where I work! ;-P

ernie

Turbo for me through the winter. Aside from giving me quality training time, it gives me time to watch trash on Netflix that the wife will not tolerate and means I don’t have to clean my bike.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just idly looking on bc at the nationals this year, interesting to see they’ve ditched the open category (or at least I couldn’t see it on the entry page). I think it’s pretty good, should make a larger better category in sport. In mid pack sport would often find myself racing guys in open who would suddenly stop with a lap to go 😂

Seems like entry is up another fiver from last year if I remember right

windyg
    Free Member

No Open but there is a Fun Race at the Nationals.

I’ll be in Vets and that is looking like it will be a large category.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah I saw that. Personally I think its a sensible move better to have fewer bigger categories. Only doing one national this year so donest really affect me anyway

windyg
    Free Member

Are you just doing Sherwood Pines? A couple of us are going up on the Sat to ride the course stay overnight and then easier bimble to the start on Sun morning.

Planning on doing Phoenix as it’s local to me and the champs at Hadleigh

ferrals
    Free Member

No, I was jsut looking at Sherwood to see who’d entered in sport with half a thought to do it, but decided I’m not fit enough to race nationals at the moment so will just do Builth as closest to me. Need to get some mojo from somewhere to invigorate training!

windyg
    Free Member

I’m just doing it for the hell of it, i don’t expect to be any where near the front but will just give it my best shot and see how it goes.

stylish
    Free Member

Now the Open Category has gone at nationals, it will naturally fill up the other races, almost a quiet year for me at the moment on BC Duty, just 4 MSG Rounds, Sherwood National and The National Champs at Hadleigh, its a different take on racing but one I do enjoy, and find quite rewarding.

good luck to all in 2018, and see you on the start line somewhere!

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member
    weeksy

Who was racing at the weekend and how did you get on then ?

mcvittees
    Free Member

Oh to ride outside…my life is Zwift in the bedroom, except when I get out for a race or commute to work.  Suffer from serious Strava envy these days.   Oh well, price of a family and at least when I race I feel competitive enough for a top ten.  Maybe I’ll have more time to ride/train/rest when I reach Grand Vet!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m kicking this season off with a proper bike shakedown on Sunday at the Elan Lowther XC race in Penrith.  I was going to race the first round of the SXC at Glentress but this is much closer to home for a race that I’m not prioritising.  Sherwood Pines the week after that for me.

Just got back from a week riding in Gran Canaria and now trying to shake the fatigue off.  I’m sure I’ll be ready to go by weekend!

Excited to see where I stack up against my nemesises from last year!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who was racing at the weekend and how did you get on then ?

Not this weekend but last, did the Dyfi Anti-freeze down at Coed Y Brenin, went ok with 3 consistent 12k laps with around 300m of climbing per lap and coming home as 4th fastest finisher.

dawson

Would I need a race license to enter Vets at Sherwood Pines?

ferrals
    Free Member

Yes, assuming you mean the nationals there

weeksy

went ok with 3 consistent 12k laps with around 300m of climbing per lap and coming home as 4th fastest finisher.

That sounds better than ‘went OK’ doesn’t it ? 🙂

Kryton57

Having this conversation last night with Rollindonut…   In the main whats better for XC racing all else being as equal as possible – a hardtail or short travel FS?  The former perhaps being more efficient overall vs that latter being less wearing for 90 mins?

And yes I’ve read all the bike rader articles blah de blah, just interested in the personal opinions / debate.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That sounds better than ‘went OK’ doesn’t it ?

Suppose so 😉 I did manage to crash a couple of times though 😂😂😂

steve_b77
    Free Member

@Kryton57

Personally I think it’s very course dependant, anything with roots and / or rocks it’s FS for me, it’s just faster.

Endurance is FS without a doubt, less punishment equals faster overall.

weeksy

Having this conversation last night with Rollindonut…   In the main whats better for XC racing all else being as equal as possible – a hardtail or short travel FS?  The former perhaps being more efficient overall vs that latter being less wearing for 90 mins?

And yes I’ve read all the bike rader articles blah de blah, just interested in the personal opinions / debate.

As you saw from my discussions yesterday, i’m kinda in similar sort of thoughts. For me, i think it depends on the course/terrain. But i feel the Whyte T-130 i have is quicker over the tech sections, not losing out that much on the faster bits. I think therefore, the short travel FS. Not necessarily THAT short travel FS for you, but a short travel FS.

Didn’t you buy the super Scott ?

Kryton57

Didn’t you buy the super Scott ?

I did, with a view to Marathon / Trail use.   I’m racing at Henham this weekend which appears – via MSG Facebook video – to have lots of fire road and non-tech single track, so I was debating “what bike”.  We decided on the Scott despite on the basis of specificity and familiarity in a race scenario for the upcoming Marathons, as the MSG races are not my priority.

Just thought I’d pose the general question.  I’ll be riding the Scott in “firm” 70mm mode at Henham I’d expect.

mcvittees
    Free Member

If you can afford a top end FS bike (i.e. 3k+) and it has suspension lockout of some sort, then you won’t regret your decision.  However, my HT is lighter (22.5Lb vs 25.5lb) and has less on it to go wrong than my FS bike so I generally race on that.  Last summer some of my races were on hard, dry, cracked ground and I could’ve done with the comfort of FS but it never got to the point where I needed it enough to switch.  However, as pointed out already, any event over 2hrs or if your courses are very technical a FS would be better.

Kryton57

You know who I am Jack… right?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 596 total)

The topic ‘The 2018 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.