• This topic has 50 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by llama.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • TdF Stage 16: Carcassonne – Foix (spoilers!)
  • crazy-legs

G is getting back to them…

grahamt1980

G back on, can pidcock catch up again with yates?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Ouch. As good as pidcock is there’s no point taking undue risks.

grahamt1980

Bet that stings.
    Hopefully they can all do the descent without accidents

scud
    Free Member

Maybe it is just me, but I am surprised that not more riders have fallen foul of the heat, i am struggling to walk to greenhouse and back in 39 degrees, let alone a 3 week race..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cracking emotional win for Houle, well done.

claudie

The commentators are constantly talking about Yates helping Thomas up the mountains. Can someone explain this to me as Thomas looks stronger, there’s no drafting benefit because they are going too slowly, and Thomas is quite capable of pacing himself – what don’t I understand? ( quite a lot probably! )

13thfloormonk

On a similar note, where is the benefit when one rider has a teammate ride in front on the climb e.g. Mijca riding in front of Pogacar?

The commentators always get very excited, but in the example above, Vingegaard is getting the same aero benefits as Pogacar (or more of he’s third in line) and also in the example above, was Pogacar really worried about having to neutralise any possible attacks?

butcher

The commentators are constantly talking about Yates helping Thomas up the mountains. Can someone explain this to me as Thomas looks stronger, there’s no drafting benefit because they are going too slowly, and Thomas is quite capable of pacing himself – what don’t I understand? ( quite a lot probably! )

There’s always some aero benefit, even if it’s very small. OK, maybe not always, but certainly on the faster sections.

On a similar note, where is the benefit when one rider has a teammate ride in front on the climb e.g. Mijca riding in front of Pogacar?

For the most part, keeping the pace high prevents attacks from behind because it puts everyone on the limit.

crazy-legs

A lot of it is psychological. The aero benefits are very limited but if you’re there with a teammate and your opponent is on his own, it’s easy to start playing mind games or to let one person attack, the other one hangs back forcing the opponent to chase.

And then the negative thoughts creep in – can I stay with both of them, can I counter the next attack, what if I get a puncture and need a bike swap urgently, what if I run out of gels and want one from a team-mate…?

Pics from today’s stage:
    https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-16/image-gallery

llama

We were at this yesterday, on the descent of the final climb just short of the summit (we were too hot/slow/faffing to reach the other side before they shut the road).

We had a good spot and saw everyone come through in dribs and drabs. It was seriously hot, tarmac was melting. Some of the domestiques look absolutely broken. Soler came past us about 15 mins after we started the descent back to Foix! Deserves to start today.

Nothing was ever going to happen on the descent into Foix, nowhere near technical enough.

Would post pics but the data where we are sucks.

Short ride long lunch today!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.