• This topic has 50 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by llama.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • TdF Stage 16: Carcassonne – Foix (spoilers!)
  • crazy-legs

I didn’t post a rest day roundup thread here but ITV4 did a great job of a highlights programme well worth a watch – ITV Hub or it’ll be on at 1pm today in advance of live coverage at 2pm.
    Also a “best of” gallery here: https://www.letour.fr/en/image-gallery/best-of-photos-de-la-2nde-semaine

Onto Stage 16 – today has a teaser of the Pyrenees with two 1st Category climbs coming in the final half before a long descent to the finish line in Foix.

The profile is going to make it tough to get a breakaway established early on – too flat for climbers to get away but any of the big diesel engines managing to escape will then be suffering on the climbs later.

Last time here (2017), Warren Barguil won from a breakaway that also contained Nairo Quintana; Barguil of course no longer in this year’s Tour due to Covid but that long descent to the finish has all sorts of hallmarks of Tom Pidcock and Matej Mohorič (him and his dropper post winning on similar ‘flat – hills – descent’ terrain on Milan San Remo earlier this year).
    Jumbo-Visma are looking a little depleted now so it’s unlikely that Wout van Aert will be allowed to be Wout van Aert, he may have to be content with super-domestique duties rather than super-attacking ones.
    Question is of course if Pogacar will want to use the steep slopes of the later climbs to test Vingegaard’s lack of teammates…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Mohoric has been my biggest dream team let down, a paltry 6 points. MvdP has done loads better and he was ill and has went home. Had been hoping for at least a stage win by now, so finger out please.

Superficial
    Free Member

Froome 😇

Straightliner

Fantasy League standings are here, with the top two still having a considerable lead over the peloton.

Fantasy League

spawnofyorkshire

Mohorič targeted Milan San Remo as his big race of the year so he may not be in form now. Some of the riders are struggling in the extreme heat and he may be one of them. It’s been a hot race since stage 2

I’d really like to see Fred Wright pull it off today, could be one for him if he can get into the break and stay in touch on the climbs.

crazy-legs

Froome 😇

I’d really like to see Fred Wright pull it off today

that long descent to the finish has all sorts of hallmarks of Tom Pidcock

So we’re agreed. Top three on today’s stage is going to be Pidcock, Wright, Froome. 😉

spawnofyorkshire

Piddcock is in the top ten and only 8 mins back. He’s not a threat to Vinegard or Pogacar, but the other teams in the top ten will want to protect their riders ranking position.
    The other riders won’t let him get in the break either as that would force the peloton to keep them in check. Without any top 10 threats in the break the peloton may let them head off and win the stage

Froome could be a good shout, he’s a very good descender so the finish may suit him. A stage win would be amazing after he nearly died!!!

IHN

(him and his dropper post winning on similar ‘flat – hills – descent’ terrain on Milan San Remo earlier this year)

I was wondering the other day whether anyone is running droppers in the Tour for these kind of stages.

grahamt1980

If pidcock goes on the final descent i wonder who there is in the peloton that could bring him back though

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If pidcock goes on the final descent i wonder who there is in the peloton that could bring him back though

Mohoric certainly has the chops to go with him.

Klunk
    Free Member

perhaps something suicidal from Bardet ? this stage would be a shoe in for Thor Hushovd

Klunk
    Free Member

super cagey start!!!!

crazy-legs

Big break gone clear (including van Aert!).
    Gilbert in there too.

Klunk
    Free Member

looking like a crazy day…. the wind looks really frisky in places

corroded
    Free Member

Should I be watching this live then?

Klunk
    Free Member

G having an issue (visit to the medical car)?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

G having an issue

Suncream application apparently.

I wonder why the graphics show the green jersey in the break but not the polka dot. There was some discussion (on Eurosport) about the hierarchy of the jerseys with it being perceived that the mountains classification carried more kudos than the points.

Klunk
    Free Member

WvA being a bit of a dick there 😕

crazy-legs

Marc Soler seems quite ill. Pogacar now down another teammate…

Klunk
    Free Member

Vlasov upto virtual 4th on gc

YoKaiser
    Free Member

WvA being a bit of a dick there

What did he do? I missed it.

nbt

What did he do? I missed it.

Got beaten in the intermediate sprint and had words with the DSM rider who beat him

Klunk
    Free Member

with some shoulder barging thrown in for good measure.

Klunk
    Free Member

the peleton is going to get smashed on this climb! and who has post rest day blues (someone always does) ?

Bunnyhop

Lovely to hear Dan Martin in the commentary booth. He’s on holiday and seems happy to be helping out itv4.

Klunk
    Free Member

was hoping some one in the peleton would have taken it up early #disappointed

crazy-legs

Movistar taking it up from the peloton.

Klunk
    Free Member

are G && Yates are going to go in a bit (both all over yellow)

scud
    Free Member

Bearing in mind he has Points jersey pretty much sown up, surprised they are still letting WvA still go off and play, and it seems more than just having a man out front, as then he’d be trying to save energy and sit at back of the breakaway not chasing everything..? The team is down in numbers, so i’d thought he’d have been the one to drag Jonas along on the flatter early section?

scud
    Free Member

…aaanddd he’s off! Vingegaard straight onto his wheel though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Boom!

Klunk
    Free Member

working over yellow now (A WvA might be useful right now)

crazy-legs

Bardet just popped.

crazy-legs

This *really* needs Pidcock up the front at this point!

scud
    Free Member

I’d like to see Pidcock come to front, just to see his descent to the line..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If Pidcock took the lead on the final descent i could see it benefitting Pogacar maybe more than anyone. He’d be able to hold the wheel,how much the others would is debatable.

crazy-legs

Galloping Tony not doing much galloping any more…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Is pidcock in the GC group?

Seems he is 👍

Klunk
    Free Member

Seems he is was
    LMFTFY

crazy-legs

TP can get back on using the descent, it’s only 500m to the summit then downhill the whole way.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.