Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Talk to me about chainsaws
  • TooTall
    Free Member

I mean, there are lots of things we could kill ourselves with if we had an accident, but that we still use.

Go on then – start the list of ‘things that can maim’ that I use on a regular basis, cos I’m struggling.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Saxons post is much where I started off coming from. Grew up in the country, many people have chainsaws, and don’t have an entire outfit of safety gear (not knocking it, just saying) or do courses. What I don’t have [now] is anyone knowledge I trust to give me good instruction/advice/demonstration, so a bit wary of going it alone etc (certainly without the full safety outfit).

@tootall, food processor, they scare the crap out me…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

My (serious) question is, then: Are the safety-mongers on here being too emphatic?

I mean, there are lots of things we could kill ourselves with if we had an accident, but that we still use.

I’m sure lots of experienced people will answer this: both plus and minus.

My only comment is – I bought a chainsaw (I LOVE doing stuff myself), cut down a problem tree, chopped it into logs, and will never do it again. I’ll pay someone. I do have and love some proper dangerous hobbies and am self employed – basically “chainsawing” isnt enjoyable / fun enough to even run a 1 in 10,000 (or 100 times that) chance of hurting myself which – it appears to me – would never be a minor injury. Dunno if that answers your question – but that’s my take on it.

SaxonRider

Thank you, unklehomered. I acknowledge that my question sounds naive, but I’m only asking from the point of view of someone who observed a fair amount of chainsaw use without the safety precautions.

Incidentally, food processors scare me too; as do those electric hand mixers and circular saws. But axes can be pretty dangerous too. So can cars.

@couldashouldawoulda: Cheers. It does.

Grimy
    Free Member

If your trees are within a good extension lead range, you cant go wrong with an electric chain saw. Damn site easier, safer, cleaner. No petrol to **** about with, stops dead in a split second, more torque, more neigbour freindly.

Mugboo

Unklehomer – as I know your no idiot I’ll not tell you about how dangerous they are.

But I will admit they I only use mine for cutting up logs not cutting down trees.

It’s a basic, petrol McCullough chainsaw from B&Q and it’s done me proud. I bought a cheap file with guide as well and I keep it sharp with that. (in fact my dad bought the saw and barely used it, ive told him I’ll replace it when it dies but it’s showing no signs).

timbur
    Free Member

They are only scary when they do something you don’t expect. Unfortunately you don’t know when that is going to happen.
    Treat them with common sense and respect and your likely to be fine but it’s a risk. I’ve got the kit and the insurance as I can’t afford to get it wrong.
    Tim

organic355
    Free Member

On the safety gear thing. Ive got proper chainsaw gloves, Husky ear defenders, safety goggles.

But what I doint have is boots, trousers/chaps, helmet or visor …or training.

Was thinking about getting some chainsaw trousers 1st, as Ive got some steel toe caps I can use (I know they only protect the toes but better than nothing just now). think i am planning on doing the safety copurse at a local college but its damn expensive!!

I am not cutting down trees just logging up for the wood burner, but ive got a 20 inch fallen tre trunk to get through this weekend.

So would getting trouser/chaps be a sensible thing to get just now?

elzorillo
    Free Member

did you use the stihl file & guide? very cheap, idiot proof bit of kit.
    new files are only 80p in my local shop.

Yeah.. took my chain into the local stihl dealer to be sharpened and he convinced me to buy the stihl file/guide. Wasnt very successful I’m afraid heheh

monsho
    Free Member

Have had a cheap Mcculloch for years now, its got through some impressively big fallen trees, it was bought as a cheapie to chop a couple of things up but has kept going for years. Needs a new oil pump now but I’m chuffed with what its done.

Try and get nice light saw, nothing too big – your arms get stredded after a few hours. I think the fact that the saw is not too powerful works in my favour, have *never* had a kick back so far (touches wood etc).

At the very basic read / watch instructional videos, keep the saw to your right, never let your attention waver from the saw and the cut…they’re bloody dangerous things, but do it right and you’ll be safe.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

If your trees are within a good extension lead range, you cant go wrong with an electric chain saw. Damn site easier, safer, cleaner. No petrol to **** about with, stops dead in a split second, more torque, more neigbour freindly.

As there is only a day left now…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-electric-chainsaw?replies=1#post-4259774

teasel
    Free Member

My (serious) question is, then: Are the safety-mongers on here being too emphatic?

With stories of a father dying of a cut to the throat and his wife and daughter having to watch him bleed to death, no. However, with a good understanding of the forces involved and a healthy respect for the beasties, I believe a chainsaw can be used safely. Obviously if you’re a professional then you need the necessary training/paperwork, but the actual practical experience is far more valuable IMO. Main tips I would give is always be aware of where the tip of the saw is and never place a limb or your body in-line with the saw.

I’ve used chainsaws for about 15 years and had basic instruction from my father and a friend with some training. I’ve learnt more from felling and cutting than I did from any other source.

They are dangerous if used without care or regard for the amount of flesh they can remove. Zombies beware…

unklehomered
    Free Member

Still mulling it over as an idea in the longer term… As I have combated my fear of food processo0rs, not to mention belt sanders, jigsaws and cordless drills (all have the potential for an episode of cauaslty), and i do like logs.

Home Log chopper uppers – How do you secure said log/Zombie for chopping?

Stoner
    Free Member

Mine is a cantilever design based on a spare sleeper.
    Nails in the cross bars act as teeth to hold odd shape/weighted cords. Will also take Zombies but only if fully in rigor mortis.

I rarely need to cut on the floor – which IMO is where a lot of accidents can happen.

I was lucky enough to have some rudimentary training nearly 20 years ago on the farm. I’ve done bits of chainsawing since, but as of the last year have had to do much more so have collected various bits of safety gear such as wadding protected boots, chaps, on top of the obvious stuff like lid with visor/ear muffs. I am now the proud owner of a 3.5 acre coppice too so will be doing a bit more “felling” as well as logging, but nothing big save for a few poplar standards once a year as most will be just coppice fuel sized.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I WANT YOUR LOG SHED!

sorry shouting there was contextual… but I do, I want it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If trainng gives you better awareness than thats only a good thing right?

MrsBouys trying out a battery powered Husky in a couple of weeks. It’s something that she needs due to her sculpture work indoors. It’s quite expensive at £750.00 odd and the battery is only supposed to last 40mins +/- 10mins. I’m not convinced myself, but by god it’s quiet.
    We went to an Arbourists show a few weeks back to check them out.
    Could do worse than go to a show yourself.

As far as clothing, well she wears the CatA stuff, trews, boots. Then thin gloves and a visor and ear defenders.

ski
    Free Member

Mine is a cantilever design based on a spare sleeper.

Great idea Stoner, that looks like it could be made to be portable too, hmmmm, you have giving me an idea for working on my bit of a coppice too. 😉

donald
    Free Member

MrsBouys trying out a battery powered Husky in a couple of weeks. It’s something that she needs due to her sculpture work indoors.

She should look into mains powered ones IMO. Mine cost me £45.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I suggested that, but you see she’s all over the sculpture, think the lead might hinder her..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here is MrsBouy doing big stuff last week.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, so how do you upload an image from Dropbox onto here then???

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dblpost.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

We’ve a family tool hire business and I work on the counter from time to time. While there is no official line on who you can hire Chain Saws to we have our own policy. Tree Surgeons and people with a certificate/license only and even then at our own discresion. As everyone says they are a dangerous piece of kit and really only experience makes you any good with one.

Yes we lose business over this policy but we’d rather that than a report of someone using it incorrectly or having an accident.

We do offer an alternative though, it’s called a reciprocating saw. They’re electric (the battery ones are ok but not the best) and they take disposable blades which you replace if you blunt them with dirty wood. Yes they are slower but we find them much safer.

If you do use a chainsaw please please use the kevlar trousers and spats and never cut with the top of the bar.

Hope this is useful

teasel
    Free Member

never cut with the top of the bar.

Unless under-bucking, in which case you’d have no choice… 🙂

I rarely need to cut on the floor – which IMO is where a lot of accidents can happen.

I agree. I reckon the story I related in my previous post was a case of firing-up the saw with the stop off and the tip touching a surface. Other tales, probably of the urban sort – folk cutting their inner thigh and slicing a major artery, accompanied by little sayings like :

If you cut yourself in the wrong place I’d make the call to your loved ones rather than 999 because you’ll bleed out before the abulance can get there.

Gruesome thought, but similar injuries can be sustained from an incorrectly-used angle grinder, for example. Common (or not so) sense prevails…

teasel
    Free Member

And yeah; like the saw horse. Gonna steal that…

Stoner
    Free Member

There are metal cantilever designs you can buy on ebay
    here’s one £80
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150716005243

(my neighbour has this one, been meaning to try it out.)

Here’s another one – quite like the look of this TBH £75
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150826758927

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rightyho, lets see if this works..

MrsBouy in chainsaw moda..

Damn this linky…

bikebouy
    Free Member

ski
    Free Member

just put up the link and I will sort it for you bikebouy otherwise

http://singletrackworld.com/forum-help/

sharkbait
    Free Member

If I was going to buy a saw horse I’d defo be getting one of these – only £70.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8FACk4szH4[/video]
    and a good review here from arbtalk.
    There again you could just make one. If I don’t get a PTO saw for the tractor then this is the route I’ll be going down, but it would involve getting a bigger chainsaw.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Finally, got the linky.. MrsBouy..

ski
    Free Member

😉

Stoner
    Free Member

MrGrim

I fancy one of these – Loggit if/when I get to the volume of wood chopping to offset the cost.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sharkbait : im building me one of those this winter. Love it!

Stoner
    Free Member

had some time this morning actually 😉

Found some 1 1/4″ galv steel tubing in the shed. Have set it up at 20″ square so that 4′ cords can be cut into 4x 12″ logs. I’ll be bringing 4′ cords back from the coppice to store just behind the rack before logging.
    20″ wide I can cut the stack from front and back. Starting with cuts to the outside and then one down the middle.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Made myself this last year but it’s pretty useless when you get down to the last metre!

Gonna make me one of them cantilever jobs this weekend 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Mr Grim! How much!?>>!?!?!?

£245.00

That’s a hell of a lot of cash for a saw horse!

elzorillo, you dont need a sleeper for the base, just something around half as long as your longest cords. Just nail a plank cross ways at one end to provide stability.

Here’s an old photo of it in use recycling some knackered rafters.

timber

In response to the top of the bar comment, it’s not so much the top of the bar that is hazardous, but the top of the tip as the saw can run around what you’re cutting, causing it to flick back at you faster than your reactions can calculate.

Re: the oil pump, it’s probably just a plastic worm drive/screw that needs replacing behind the sprocket, simple fix of a part that sounds more complex than it is.

Got a metal saw horse in the back of a shed, must be almost a £100 in scrap, but could probably hold half a telegraph pole.
    For logging a lot of stuff in one go, as we keep stuff in big stacks, we just slice the stack with one of the bigger saws, leaving the bottom layer un-cut to avoid ground strikes.

Innes
    Free Member

I took the Oregon idea and made this from scrap materials and a couple of fence posts. I made the spacings that size so that if I cut in the middle of the poles makes the logs just the correct size for my stove.

It has worked out to be a really stable safe way of cutting lots of logs in a few cuts at a time. It also dismantles quickly as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about chainsaws’ is closed to new replies.