Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Talk to me about chainsaws
  • richmars

This is mine, smaller version of the above.

A few vertical cuts and lots of small bits.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sitting out the rain in Portland I came across this thread.

Here is my horse. The V is wide enough to wedge three logs lengthways or lots of slab wood in a time. The tighter the safer.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113038090087066024057/GlassmountWoodPiles#5448907504013314834

It’s a delivery slope, you’ll need a bigger shed soon and then a hydraulic log splitter.

organic355
    Free Member

Where does everyone get these nice straight logs from? The ones I collect seem to be gnarly twisted buggers!

howellj1
    Free Member

Once you get a chainsaw you will start to see wood everywhere and slip into the habit of bunging the odd branch into the boot, friends will drop a variety of waste timber and pallets off. Quite soon the open fire will seem inefficient and a trip to the wood burner showroom will follow. It makes quite a lot of sense given fuel costs. So if you think you will be in it for the long haul go for a Stihl or Husky. Get some good safety gear and some training, your limbs will always thank you.

elzorillo
    Free Member

100 ash saplings bought last year…

Couple of days to plant them..

Every one of them coming along nicely..

Until this weekend when some &*%” thought it would be funny to trespass and drive over them all !!!!

Some people !!

timber

elzorillo – clean cut anything that is snapped, looks pretty healthy stock with good roots so should re-shoot, trees are amazingly resillient and ash coppices well, even if this is sooner than normal. We’ve a tenant that has ‘accidentally’ grazed one of our plantations the last 3 years, since we’ve removed all gates and access points last spring they are well on their way to head high (oak, ash, birch, rowan mix btw).

Stoner
    Free Member

nice one elzorillo. Hope they come back strong.

This is my plantation in the back field – Salix Viminalis and Q83 hibreds. The whips went in last December and have come on really well.
    I think I had only 4/500 not take.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice.. With the wet/mild summer, hopefully they had long enough for the roots to establish and they’ll survive.

Them trees look mighty close Stoner.. you sure you’ll be able to get in there to cut them?

Stoner
    Free Member

you sure you’ll be able to get in there to cut them?

coppice harvesting on three year rotation.
    Stand at one end, start the chainsaw, hold the chainsaw yay high, run forward 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about chainsaws’ is closed to new replies.