Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Taking two spaces when parking !
  • ElShalimo

@trail_rat 😆😆😆

Dickyboy

A forklift truck would definitely solve the op’s issue 🤣🤣

CountZero

It is a consequence of people seeing cars as status symbols rather than just as transportation.

Ha! My EcoSport is hardly anyone’s idea of a status symbol, however, it’s the newest car I’ve ever owned, and the second most expensive thing I’ve ever bought after my house. I intend for it to be the last car I ever need to buy, because of my age, and so looking after it makes perfect sense.
    It’s people who lease cars, particularly Motability customers, who I’m sure are the biggest culprits, because it’s not ‘their’ car, they hand it back at a later date with little or no consequences for the poor treatment of the car, and thus no consideration for banging into other peoples cars. I have seen and driven many, many ex-lease cars and the condition they’re handed back in to think otherwise.

irc

Don’t see a problem in a near empty carpark. The spaces are to evenly allocate space in a busy carpark.

AD

There was an excellent example of entitled parking at Lanthwaite Woods this morning – three cars parking lengthways managed to take up 7 spaces – good effort!

dannybgoode

An associate of mine has a Hummer and a Bentley. He has a season ticket for two spots at his local train station as the cars do not fit into one….

Isn’t that theartistformerlyknownsasstr elshamino.

….lazy bugger could have reverse parked it

Hehe 😉

Even more annoyinger is when the car park is completely empty, you park miles away from the shops to dissuade the idle door clatterers from parking near you and you come out to a still empty car park with one parked right beside yours… Special bullets for the selfish shits that smash my stuff.

This x10

MSP

I haven’t had a car damaged by the fabled door clatterers in over 30 years of driving and have never felt the need to take up 2 parking spaces. Parking in a parking space is a normal usage scenario for a car, if you deem your car too precious too be used in a normal situation then you have elevated its importance above its intended use and you are just going through mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.

boblo
    Free Member

@msp That’s the second time you’ve made that point and it still doesn’t mean those that look after their stuff either park badly or elevate the care of things beyond just that ie taking care of it.

You treat your stuff like shit if you like but don’t tar others with your rather scabby brush please.

if you deem your car too precious too be used in a normal situation then you have elevated its importance above its intended use and you are just going through mental gymnastics to convince yourself otherwise.

Oh do shut up.

Yet another case of if you don’t think how I do, you are obviously wrong

boblo
    Free Member

Yet another case of if you don’t think how I do, you are obviously wrong

AKA ‘a TJism’. He’s not here to defend himself but that was his default setting in his former existence.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Extra points if park forwards over two spaces.

MSP

@msp That’s the second time you’ve made that point and it still doesn’t mean those that look after their stuff either park badly or elevate the care of things beyond just that ie taking care of it.

You treat your stuff like shit if you like but don’t tar others with your rather scabby brush please.

I look after my stuff just fine, that is nothing to do with the over entitled selfishness of taking up two parking spaces for 1 car.

boblo
    Free Member

@msp Don’t be obtuse. Taking care of things/not wanting your stuff bashed does not necessarily mean taking up two spaces.

I’d really prefer the former without the latter which is why I usually park in the next postcode.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t mind me. Just unloading.

I’ll just leave my engine running too.

It’s not causing any harm.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m not sure the logical conclusion there is that parking spaces need to get bigger, though I’m sure many would think so…

Presumably you are one of the advocates of removing all safety features from cars?

My 2003 Civic was bigger than an 80s Accord estate. I know which one I’d rather be in if I was crashing it.

Don’t be obtuse. Taking care of things/not wanting your stuff bashed does not necessarily mean taking up two spaces.

So what’s your actual point here? If you’re not defending double parkers then who are you defending?

@elshalimo
    that’s exactly it! Although in my defence I parked as far as possible from the shop in the dead zone and on the end of a row lest a pair of funny buggers decided to box me in.

boblo
    Free Member

So what’s your actual point here? If you’re not defending double parkers then who are you defending?

Defending? Nothing. Rejecting the ‘logic leap’ that if you’d prefer to take care of your stuff you’re either the anti Christ or some sort of materialist, self entitled narcissist.

I’m pretty certain other options are available. Eg you’d just prefer to not have your stuff trashed by careless, thoughtless oafs.

MSP

Defending? Nothing. Rejecting the ‘logic leap’ that if you’d prefer to take care of your stuff you’re either the anti Christ or some sort of materialist, self entitled narcissist

You are the only one who has made that logical leap.

gowerboy

With two threads on it this week, I am genuinely fascinated by how so many people can be so interested in and annoyed by how people park cars.

irc

I look after my stuff just fine, that is nothing to do with the over entitled selfishness of taking up two parking spaces for 1 car.

But the OP’s pic didn’t show selfishness. There was numerous empty spaces. Selfishness only applies in a busy carpark where parking over 2 spaces deprives someone else of a space.

It’s more selfish to park right next to a car in a near empty carpark. The driver/passenger may have mobility issues but no blue badge.

Marked bays are to evenly allocate space where it is at a premium.

trail_rat
    Free Member

But the OP’s pic didn’t show selfishness. There was numerous empty spaces. Selfishness only applies in a busy carpark where parking over 2 spaces deprives someone else of a space.

Well that would be a valid point assuming they stopped admitting folk to the carpark after the person with the most important car I mean I often arrive places at 6am….. It’s quiet. By 9am it’s at capacity…..but shit it was quiet when I parked over 2 space situations are fluid and a parked car is not.

maccruiskeen

If it is a paying car park then you can get a fined if you only have one ticket as you are using two spaces.

There are free carparks near me where you’d get a ticket for not parking in the bay properly

Extra points if park forwards over two spaces.

Weird – thats not how it works in Roulette. A split reduces they payout from 35:1 to 17:1. A corner square only gets you 8:1.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a high profile case where a BMW driver bought two tickets and still got fined for parking like a donkey ?

Edit – was a Ferrari

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ferrari-driver-furious-parking-car-two-spaces-bays-church-road-antrim-northern-ireland-kevin-mcwhinney-a8037651.html

b230ftw
    Free Member

That one is interesting as he said he was doing it as his car was as wide as the space so paid for 2 spaces or he wouldn’t have been able to get back in his car. I can imagine he is right as those cars are very wide with long doors.
    To still fine him when he paid for 2 tickets is petty really.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well I got as far as the first three words of that article – “A sausage tycoon…” – and got the giggles. I’ll try again later.

grum
    Free Member

Presumably you are one of the advocates of removing all safety features from cars?

Is it only big SUVS etc that have safety features? No one used to drive them here 20 years ago, now they are super common. They might be safer for the people inside, but not for everyone else.

Buying an inappropriately large car for our roads then complaining that parking spaces aren’t big enough seems like the height of entitlement/stupidity to me. 🤷‍♂️

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The odd time I visit a trail centre I consider the gaps between cars quite selfish. With a bit more care and consideration, you could probably fit 20% more cars in.

You need to be cautious with that one. I share the same viewpoint and always parked with a view to allowing the maximum number of people to park.

One time a few years back I parked at Llandegla and then thought I’d left too much space between me and the next car, so I went out and reparked a bit closer. The guy went absolutely ballistic. He was apoplectic and if I hadn’t had he kids with me there was no doubt he would have kicked absolute shit out of me.
    He was right in my face, toe to toe telling me exactly that. Then he went away but the came back and started again.
    I tried to explain that I was just trying to take up less space so other people could park. But he wasn’t having any of it.
    It was a thoroughly terrifying experience.

northernsoul

But the OP’s pic didn’t show selfishness. There was numerous empty spaces.

True at the time the picture was taken. Not necessarily true later…

longdog
    Free Member

Buying an inappropriately large car for our roads then complaining that parking spaces aren’t big enough seems like the height of entitlement/stupidity to me. 🤷‍♂️

In Shetland we have a local policy of parking spaces that are larger than the national roads design guide specification. Partly due to the number of big SUVs, pick ups and 4x4s, but it has the advantage of giving a bit more space for people with kids and mobility issues getting in and out of cars. Ironically you still see plenty of people using up double spaces as it would seem a larger space still isn’t enough for some 🙄

scotroutes

dyna-ti

True at the time the picture was taken. Not necessarily true later…

Oh FFS 🙄

And all these perfect drivers on this thread, whiter than white, never did nowt wrong EVER.

I dont know which is worse, the holier than thou or the fing apple polishers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And all these perfect drivers on this thread, whiter than white, never did nowt wrong EVER.

Naw just not self important enough to think my car deserves two spaces that could occupy two vehicles at some point during my tenure

See also- not sitting on two seats on the bus/train/aeroplane

Or not eating the person next to me’s lunch at a restaurant…..

But then the last time I professed to have good manners I was shot down on here for not sticking it to the man and being my own person…..

northernsoul

Oh FFS 🙄

And al these perfect drivers on this thread, whiter than white, never did nowt wrong EVER

It wasn’t an unreasonable comment. I’m not a perfect driver by any stretch, but I do know that if I park in a half empty car park at some times of day, such as mid-morning, there’s a good chance the car park will be busy before I get back to my car. It’s not very realistic to assume because it’s not busy now it’s going to stay that way. (FFS 😛)

dyna-ti

That part of the post wasnt directed at yourself, just the bit before it.

I mean what if you took a pic at a distance and the entire park was completely empty – That would infer one thing, maybe not so negative, or another pic of it choke-o-block, and that the only car taking up two spots, that then would infer something else. But i think commenting on the actual pic at hand rather than speculating as to what might be is the best way forward.

Its not the daily mail comments section we’re replying to 😉

grum
    Free Member

I do plenty wrong but this is a very easily avoided piece of bellendry.

northernsoul

the daily mail comments section

Shudder! 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Taking two spaces when parking !’ is closed to new replies.