Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Taking two spaces when parking !
  • plus-one

Going by the reverse parking thread it seems parking cars is controversial 🙂

What’s our thoughts on these twonks!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I generally park the van right next to them.

tthew

Heh, I’ve done that in the past, (parking right beside and very close) in my old van which I wasn’t too bothered if it got scratched. Then the car left before me and I looked like the arse blocking two spaces!

Obviously I was being a bit of an arse, just in a different way. 😁

dyna-ti

Depends if the carpark is empty of not, doesn’t it.

Were we to expand the pic, would it be very busy, or very quiet.

I think I’ll hazard a guess from what we can see to say this is a misleading picture, posted(not by the OP) but to illicit hate towards the owner.

We can tell its empty because the picture was taken in at least two empty spaces in front, and looking at the car its sitting in front of another 2 empty spaces, with a further empty space to its right.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Given that a lot of people can’t park very well and are lazy enough to try and park as close to the entrance of the supermarket as possible, sometimes the opposite approach is valid.

I don’t mind walking the length of the carpark so if I park right out of the way there’s less chance I’m going to get a mumbus next to me and have their kids smash their doors into my car. I don’t take up two spaces, but if once side is right up to the line, then it discourages others from parking next to me.

If it’s somewhere that is going to fill up, then I don’t park like that. The odd time I visit a trail centre I consider the gaps between cars quite selfish. With a bit more care and consideration, you could probably fit 20% more cars in.

In answer to the OP, where is it and what are the chances of those spaces filling up and their behaviour inconveniencing someone else?

onewheelgood

There was a guy at work who bought a Range Rover of which he was inordinately proud. He always parked like that to reduce the chances of anyone scratching his pride and joy.

kerley
    Free Member

If it is a paying car park then you can get a fined if you only have one ticket as you are using two spaces.

oldnpastit

It’s one way to encourage cycling – reduce the availability of free parking. I approve and I shall do this myself henceforth.

jaymcjayface
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue with people doing this as long as they pay twice.

It would be a bit cheeky to do in a free car park though.

fasgadh
    Free Member

Plagued by twospacers here. Always so careful to leave half a vehicle between them and the end of the available parking. Bonus points for getting half a vehicles worth of space in front as well.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Pff amateurs.

My record was 7 spaces (across) when towing a caravan, was never ballsy enough to go for the 14.

Round here double spacing seems to be justified since people invariably get their cars battered by other drivers. The vast majority park forwards, coincidence? Anyway, the car parks round here are always rammed so they are all twunts, just for differing reasons.

breadcrumb

I’d sooner park at the back of the car park if I’m in a car in bothered about people damaging.

Years ago when we were visiting the Trafford Centre a big ol’ Lexus SUV had parked over two bays. Luckily my shit box 106 could just squeeze in the part of bay that was left by the driver’s door. Literally an inch gap between our cars. Very satisfying when I came back and he (I assume as the plate had TOM on it) had left, meaning he had to use an alternative to his driver’s door to get in.

nickc

Well, at least they’ve reversed in or pulled through.

I don’t mind 2 spacers , there could be any number of reasons, from wheelchair to limited mobility, who knows? I find I tend to park as far away as I can though.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I am very precious about my car and I never do that as it invites someone’s anger so you’re probably more likely to be keyed.
    I’ll always park at the other end of the car park in a clear area and never had an issue. In fact it’s surprising how often it’s quicker to do that than try and find a space near the store, I’ve often parked up and walked past someone just getting into a spot or getting out of their car who was driving in before me when I came into the premises.

woody71
    Free Member

I always have a much bigger issue with drivers who park in adult/baby or disabled parking spaces (and that don’t have kids of a blue badge)

boblo
    Free Member

Even more annoyinger is when the car park is completely empty, you park miles away from the shops to dissuade the idle door clatterers from parking near you and you come out to a still empty car park with one parked right beside yours… Special bullets for the selfish shits that smash my stuff.

MSP

It is a consequence of people seeing cars as status symbols rather than just as transportation.

Houns

I like parking next to those who park in the furthest corners of the car park just to piss them off

johnners
    Free Member

The odd time I visit a trail centre I consider the gaps between cars quite selfish. With a bit more care and consideration, you could probably fit 20% more cars in.

That’s what I refer to as National Trust parking, at one site near me they’ve actually resorted to battens separating spaces to try to get people to park more considerately!
    See also the arseholes at busy NT coastal car parks parking their campers, extending awnings and setting up a seating area, thus occupying about 3 spaces. Most prevalent during the first easing of lockdown in 2020.

boblo
    Free Member

@houns It works. Mainly due to ‘their’ inability to open a door without it bouncing off the next car.

@msp
    Not really. I look after my stuff regardless and don’t appreciate people who don’t care messing it up. They (you?) can do what you like with your own stuff, just leave mine alone please.

northernmatt

There’s a twitter for this https://twitter.com/YPLAC

Round here if there’s a car parked like that it’s usually a bit of a chavmobile. Yeah it’s someone’s pride and joy but to everyone else it’s a shitbox Corsa with a big exhaust.

ElShalimo

@squirrelking – I think I saw you in a supermarket car park in France. I didn’t know you were Swiss

trail_rat
    Free Member

Even more annoyinger is when the car park is completely empty, you park miles away from the shops to dissuade the idle door clatterers from parking near you and you come out to a still empty car park with one parked right beside yours…

Those are the people using your car as target practice to line up against because they can’t use the mirrors to see the lines Chances are they are even worse than those you were trying to avoid.

Pook

Hope car park the other week we saw a guy pull up in his electric car, park in the charging space, get out with his dog and just walk off without plugging it in.
    It was as if the charge point was a reserved space for him.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Isn’t that theartistformerlyknownsasstr elshamino.

….lazy bugger could have reverse parked it

grum
    Free Member

Isn’t this mostly done by people who’ve bought cars too big for them to park (despite having every parking aid under the sun)? The same ones who insist on SUVs for small country lanes but then refuse to drive them even slightly into the verge.

They’d be off to the gulag if I was in charge…

johnners
    Free Member

Isn’t this mostly done by people who’ve bought cars too big for them to park

I hate to say it because it sounds like I’m defending inconsiderate parking but cars have got steadily bigger, parking spaces don’t seem to have kept pace. Width aside, a 5 Series overhangs the spaces at my local Tesco by about half a metre and they’re not especially big cars.

grum
    Free Member

hate to say it because it sounds like I’m defending inconsiderate parking but cars have got steadily bigger, parking spaces don’t seem to have kept pace

I’m not sure the logical conclusion there is that parking spaces need to get bigger, though I’m sure many would think so…

tomhoward

(Told this before but seems relevant)

A former colleague came back off her lunch break furious that she’d been given a parking ticket, as she hadn’t been parked for long enough to warrant one.

We said to her that if she genuinely believed she was in the right, she should email and ask for proof of the violation.

Shitty ‘how dare you’ email sent (against advice to be polite about it.

I bet the company couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw that email, nor be more smug when they responded. You’ve heard the term ‘banged to rights’? This is the definition of it.

‘Pay the fine. Right. Now.’ Was the advice given…

baser
    Free Member

Our local Tesco changed its car park during the first lockdown and added another row of disabled spaces and parent and child. Lots of people complained as its a small car park for the size of the store so they added spaces by reducing the size of the regular spaces. Our Golf just fits in a space now and my C class kind of fits if you don’t need to get out of it. They now get lots of complaints about dings in car doors.

In a country with limited space and where land is expensive you can’t win. As people we are bigger, our cars are bigger, parking spaces are the same size or smaller. If you have a ‘pride and joy’ be it a Bentley or Corsa with a big exhaust and want to keep it parking dent free you don’t really have a choice other than go shopping at mid night when its quiet, straddle 2 spaces or use click and collect (which has taken 8 parking spaces) and don’t go in.

Maybe we should treat our cars like the French? Anyone watch the Grand Tour Christmas special?

meikle_partans
    Free Member

I came out the supermarket once to find a note on my car admitting to having bumped it while reversing. While I was looking for the damage the person who left the note (who had waited for me) came and apologised.

The car was covered in scratches and dings but that’s because it was my old shitheap. They couldn’t have picked a better car to bump. It was a really nice gesture for them to stay and fess up to it tho.

I genuinely don’t really want a new car because I would be worried about it getting scratched and damaged. Much more relaxing to have an old one.

tillydog
    Free Member

Depends if the carpark is empty of not, doesn’t it.

Not really, no.

Selfish twunt either way.

Houns

I’m not saying white cars are driven by twunts, but…..

onewheelgood

a 5 Series overhangs the spaces at my local Tesco by about half a metre and they’re not especially big cars.

They overhang even more when they’ve been reversed parked but leaving space to open the boot. If you’ve got a few of them, it forces drivers to slalom down the lane and causes hundreds of accidents because most people aren’t skilled enough to manage all those changes of direction.

johnners
    Free Member

it forces drivers to slalom down the lane and causes hundreds of accidents

Crikey!

I’m staying well clear of the supermarkets you go to!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t really want a new car because I would be worried about it getting scratched and damaged. Much more relaxing to have an old one.

I’ve just bought a 2007 Fiat Panda because I can’t get to the golf course on my motorbike and my wife has the big car most days now. I look daft driving it, but don’t care, and certainly don’t care if anyone bashes it 😀

northernmatt

Maybe we should treat our cars like the French?

Absolutely this. I stopped giving a crap about the exterior appearance of our Berlingo (I know) after a couple of years. It’s much more relaxing not having to worry about every single scratch, plus I can push wheelie bins out of the way when the binmen distribute them randomly about the back lane.

Admittedly, if you’re spending upwards of £500 a month on a lease car you’re likely to have a different opinion. But then if you’re paying £500 a month for a car you’ll never own you might need help.

Cougar

It is a consequence of people seeing cars as status symbols rather than just as transportation.

I’ve always found this to be a weird argument. I presume you see your house as just a dwelling and haven’t bothered with things like wallpaper or carpets?

How much did your bike cost? More than £300 from Halfords? Why? It’s just a mode of transport.

I’ll always park at the other end of the car park in a clear area and never had an issue. In fact it’s surprising how often it’s quicker to do that than try and find a space near the store

Indeed. My (formerly) local ASDA has the most godawful car park. It’s a one-way system in a big loop so you either have to drive all the way around to get in, or park earlier and then still have to drive all the way around to get out. At peak times it’s chaos. Alternatively, there’s a couple of rows down the side which don’t involve going anywhere near the main car park, right next to the site entrance. So it can save you like ten minutes but it means you need to walk an extra 50m maybe. They’re always near-empty.

Wally

This went badly wrong for me this summer. I parked within a space, but at the end of a long line of solid spaces, with an odd shaped gap to one side leading the next long line of spaces, off at an angle. My reasoning was I was reducing door impact by 50%.

What I had not factored in was that every other person in the carpark behind me with prams and bikes would also use the same narrowing triangle shaped gap past my car to get out of car park. Yes, I left car park with two lovely new dents down the door. Despite being perfectly parked in a spot. Oh well, it’s battle scars of summer holidays. Happy New year all.

ajantom

it means you need to walk an extra 50m maybe. They’re always near-empty

See my local chippy.
    On a corner T-junction, double yellows, but 25m up the road there’s a row of (almost always empty) 1hr parking spaces.

Guess where most of the customers park? 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Taking two spaces when parking !’ is closed to new replies.