• This topic has 98 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Swinley 17th March ? (This coming Sat)
  • weeksy

Anyone fancy some Swinley this weekend ? Want to start getting some XC riding in and the least boggy i guess at the moment is Swinley.

Blue/Red/Blue sounds like the plan for it i guess… Pace can be whatever suits really. There’ll be a few trails i may push on a bit, but of course we’d always wait at the end of each section for anyone slower

Who fancies it then ?

Tiger6791

I could be up for that 🙂

Only slight snag might be I’m marshalling the Womens Enduro on Sunday so will have to test that water on getting a pass.

Akers

I might be up for this, what time were you thinking of starting?

I’ve not done an STW meetup ride before, but following on from the “Rides alone 99% of the time” thread a social ride might make a nice change.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Some of the trails might be closed for tapping of the Womens Enduro on Sunday

weeksy

Akers, I’m flexible on timing, whatever suits the masses, assuming we get masses 🙂

Tiger6791

Early as possible is best on Sat otherwise Parking gets mental!

weeksy

Works fine for me 🙂

I’m up handy…. How about we go for 9am ?

kelron
    Free Member

I’m also in the “rides alone 99% (100 really) of the time” club. I’ll try to make it on sat.

natrix
    Free Member

least boggy

Mmmmm, Red 2 trail might not agree…………  🤡

weeksy

Agree… but we can if we want circumnavigate a few trails, or even shoot off Piste on about Red 7 etc…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe, will have to see about getting a pass, I’m supposed to be sailing on Sunday and TBH I;ve not been on the water in ages!

Mmmmm, Red 2 trail might not agree…………

Simple, just ignore everything between Stickler and Pips Seat.  Given the state of the fireroad there sometimes I’m not the only one that does that!

Akers

Early as possible is best on Sat otherwise Parking gets mental!

I park at Lightwater CP and ride in these days, more fun, more miles. I should be able to ride over to  the Hub by 9 though

Mmmmm, Red 2 trail might not agree…

I normally consider Red 2 to be OB from around October to June

…even shoot off Piste on about Red 7 etc…

for a pootle round Crowthorne Woods and the Corkscrew? 😉 I’m up for that…

frogstomp

I’m a definite maybe..

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I wish I wasn’t working!

scaredypants

I can’t make it but hoping to get up there one midweek day sometime soonish.  Never been before

Is routefinding easy enough for half a day’s amusement?  Have a garmin/phone and could raid strava if needed but I prefer following obvious(ish) trails to looking at a screen all the time

Any tips gratefully accepted

Tiger6791

It’s easy but may be there this week also (fair weather depending) if you want a guide

kelron
    Free Member

The main route is all clearly signposted. There’s a couple of spots on the red where you can miss the trail, but it pretty much all converges back to a central point so you can’t really get lost.

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ll show if my shock turns up in time. I’ll be riding over so don’t be surprised if I’m a bit slow! Was it 9am at the trail centre car park you’re planning?

weeksy

Yeah why not Padkinson. If you’re short a bike, i’m taking both of mine for some testing, you’re more than welcome to use the Whyte T-130/Parkwood.

Lets say 9am at the right hand domey thing just in front of the main doors.

natrix
    Free Member

I normally consider Red 2 to be OB from around October to June

Does anybody know if they’re going to improve Red 2??

There was a trail team swinley meeting to announce planned trail works but I think it might have been cancelled due to snow…………..

razorrazoo

Part of me is tempted, part of me is worried I’d be slowing you guys up (not ridden for a month and still in winter mode)

razorrazoo

Does anybody know if they’re going to improve Red 2??

There was a trail team swinley meeting to announce planned trail works but I think it might have been cancelled due to snow…………..

The TTS meeting is to discuss building out the freeride / clubhouse area to make more of those trails official and be able to develop them with new features.  Don’t think the XC trails are due too much change, R2 is fine (and a change from the cobbles when dry), it’s just the amount of traffic and natural trail surface make it a winter bog, I just bypass via the fire road in winter.

weeksy

is worried I’d be slowing you guys up

Please don’t think that. Even if you’re slow, it’s just more time to chat about bikes, cars, beer, football. If you want to come and meet up, just do it.

thepurist

The TTS meeting is to discuss building out the freeride / clubhouse area to make more of those trails official and be able to develop them with new features.

Really? After all the faff with the new (old) freeride area they decide that swinley is still the perfect place for an official freeride area? If the jump gully was no good for ambulance access then the clubhouse area isn’t going to be any better. Sure that part of the forest probably had the best of those sort of trails already, but why not leave them in their fine unadopted state and do something for the 99% of riders who don’t need 8 foot gap jumps and do need a trail you can ride without a snorkel (red 2!)

…and breathe….

razorrazoo

I get where you’re coming from but whole point of the meetings is to consult with riders of all abilities (they were after reps of various skill levels) as to what they want to see. Expect to see progressive features and use / maintenance of existing trails. (If it ever happens)

The white elephant that they expended all the time on by the discovery center has never been opened because it is so exclusive (big features), plus according to insiders, still needs a load of work for it to even get to a decent state.

To be fair it is only really red 2 which is a big issue on the marked route unless it gets really wet. I’d welcome some time spent on progressive features as it would help my riding, as frankly features like the Seagull drops of doom followed by the ultra mellow table don’t add much interest/value. On top of this they have been working on the XC trails, blue (7?) has had a revamp recently (more flow, but I sort of preferred its natural state).

natrix
    Free Member

R2 is fine

Really??!!  Most riders don’t even bother with it, it’s a mess……………….

weeksy

I think he meant as a trail in general, not as a trail in winter/slop 🙂

I quite enjoy it when it’s dry 🙂  But i am a Swinley fanboi overall to be honest.

Akers

…blue (7?) has had a revamp recently (more flow, but I sort of preferred its natural state).

100% agree. I can understand why they did it, it’s a blue trail section after all, but the old natural surface had roots and texture. You had to earn your speed through line choice and bike handling. Now it’s just another section of smoothed out berms that becomes ginger sludge when wet. 🙁

razorrazoo

think he meant as a trail in general, not as a trail in winter/slop

This.

I agree it’s horrible in the wet, but the same was true of the previous section on the other side of the fire road.  But the winter condition is due to the surface / volume of traffic, so unless it’s paved in cobbles and ginge it’s likely to stay that way.  I just see it as a nostalgic reminder of the ‘old swinley’.

weeksy

So who’s in then ?

Padkinson, you wanting to use my other bike ?

padkinson
    Free Member

I’ll pass on using the bike, but thank you! I don’t fancy driving over so it’s ride out or bust for me, if the shock doesn’t arrive I’ll go for a road ride :O

weeksy

I’ll pass on using the bike, but thank you! I don’t fancy driving over so it’s ride out or bust for me, if the shock doesn’t arrive I’ll go for a road ride :O

Damn, that means i have to go back to the car now to swap to the 2nd bike and then back out on the trails !

Akers

So who’s in then ?

Provided the Gods of Weather (looking good so far) and Parenthood (fingers crossed for no family illness) look favourably upon me, I’m in!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went for a blast last night, I can confirm that Crowthorne was wet although the Gorrick track was still holding up well (or at least it’s recovered, I’ve not diffen it since the last race). Fine on the fat bike, but seriously wet in places, and about to get wetter today/tomorrow judging by the forecast.

The Seagull drops of doom, I actually missed them in the dark as the trail is now so wide you actually have to look out for them in the middle of the bog.  And the bogginess didn’t endeer me into going back and riding them.

I agree with most of the negative sentiments above about TTS’s work, but then I don’t have time to volunteer so I guess I get what I pay for.

weeksy

LOL you’re not selling this weekends idea to me TINAS 🙂

Akers

It can’t be any worse than the Sunday after the snow (March 4th). At one point I got off the bike because I thought either the rear brake was binding or the freehub had died. But no, it was just the drag of ‘The Ginge’ on the fire road

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It can’t be any worse than the Sunday after the snow (March 4th). At one point I got off the bike because I thought either the rear brake was binding or the freehub had died. But no, it was just the drag of ‘The Ginge’ on the fire road

I dunno, I usually ride elsewhere on natural trails that get less traffic and if I do Swinley it’s usually not the entire blue/red/blue loop so I miss the worst bits (how F***ing hipster do I sound?).  The fire road from Upper Star post to Caesar’s camp was so wet I actually struggled to keep it in a straight line due to wheelspin.

The trails themselves seemed OK, a mix of good work by TTS sanitising the awkward bits of seagull, and thousands of riders wearing out the older bits to turn them back into a lovely rooty ‘natural’ surface (that doesn’t get muddy) means they were actually quite fun.

[edit] I don’t mean the old seagull which now forms the outbound section, that’s horrible and I avoided it, I mean the first section of the ‘new’ Seagull.

natrix
    Free Member

Apparantly TTS haven’t been maintaining the trails for the past year or so, it is somebody else’s responsibility now…………….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh and while were here, who removed the root at pips seat?

Tiger6791

Still not sure if I can make it Sat

Short story is CE are sick of mopping up injured riders and ambulance’s they have a  responsibility to ensure people are safe on CE land.

Most of the injury’s are on not on official trails but on ‘dug’ features

CE revives no income from Bikes and due to William the conqueror is only answerable to god. Swinley is not public land so ultimately CE are responsible.

They need to do something about the level of injury on the land and activily mitigate risk and the choices are level and ban or adopt and make safer.

I understood there is currently no budget (or very little) for existing trails and the work being proposed is purely focused on routes from Clubhouse and Camel

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Swinley 17th March ? (This coming Sat)’ is closed to new replies.