• This topic has 98 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • Swinley 17th March ? (This coming Sat)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whilst I sympathise with the CE, if that is their position why flatten the gully? It was relatively accessible by ambulance and helicopter and a good intro to the jumps on the red route. And apart from the inherent risk of the jumps themselves posed no other risk (no gap jumps, no trees to hit, no loose corners, no crossings).  So<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> they’ve flattened that and now want to bring babymaker and axle run upto spec which even without jumps if you messed up on the official trail (deerstalker) you’d hit a tree and be in trouble.</span>

Tiger6791

I believe that they are learning from Gulleygate, they levelled that and saw the problem move not go away, this time I think they are being more pragmatic but I understand the status quo option is not an option. They are talking about widening and removing trees.

There’s a meeting tonight, get yourself along.

Max…
    Free Member

Guessing a few of us have never been there before – any link or brief synopsis or a good overview of what’s available/facilities/parking/local tips etc?

weeksy

Come on Sat 🙂 We’ll tell you when you’re there 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Quite fancy making this with my kid, but no way we could get there for 9… (he’s a teenager, you see). 10 probably, at a push!

Is it all arranged for 9?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a meeting tonight, get yourself along.

I’m going riding somewhere else, I find it solves most of my Swinley related problems.

Akers

CE revives no income from Bikes…

Serious question, who gets all the money from the parking?

I was always perfectly happy to pay to ride when it was by permit (day or annual). I’d be happy to do so again, if it meant we see some adoption, (sympathetic) maintenance and development of the trail network.

weeksy

Quite fancy making this with my kid, but no way we could get there for 9… (he’s a teenager, you see). 10 probably, at a push!

Is it all arranged for 9

Up to now there’s only potentially 2 of us who have said “yes”… The rest.. have replied but are not confirmed as such.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers weeksy, will check back tomorrow (if I can find the thread!)

Akers

any link or brief synopsis or a good overview of what’s available/facilities/parking/local tips etc?

Swinley Riders has most of the info you need regarding facilities, parking, etc

Swinley Bike Hub are the onsite bike shop/hire/etc place shoud you need anything

Local tips – If you are planning to visit at weekends in the morning, you really need to be there before 10am or you’ll struggle to park, afternoons aren’t quite so bad. Alternatively park over the road at Coral Reef. There are more unofficial trails to enjoy both inside and adjacent to the park if you know where to go. Best bet is to get a local to show you round.

cokie

If we are meeting for 9am, I could come. Depends how much we mince around blue-red-blue, as I’ve got lunch time commitments.

(I can bring the bike bag too, if that’s convenient Weeksy)

Max…
    Free Member

Cheers Akers.

@weeksy

Ahh, love to but totally man-flued up at present and just about got the energy to type let alone propel a bike! 😉

Akers

(they)now want to bring Babymaker and Axle Run up to spec which even without jumps if you messed up on the official trail (Deerstalker) you’d hit a tree and be in trouble…

See Here for prime example(I have no idea how embed video in here!)

Tiger6791

Car park is owned and run by the council and that’s where the money goes (apparently)

Swinley Trees are actually Ents, I’ve had a few frisky ones suddenly move onto my line.

weeksy

Lets stick with 9am then guys… I’ll be starting on the Whyte T-130SX in sky blue and be by the satellite dish thing just in front of main entrance.

Akers

It looks like it should be a dry morning, though the trails won’t be. Best wrap up warm, BBC forecast is 1 to 2 deg C but with windchill it’ll feel nearer -3 to -4. Brrrrrr-acing!

Looking forward to it though 🙂

weeksy

I’m all good with that… Wrapping up warm is easy, being wet isn’t nice from rain.

razorrazoo

I think I’m meeting an old friend up at peaslake so probably out of this one. Will let you know if plan changes otherwise, but up for Swinley another time If not.

weeksy

Debating whether i should take a rest day today… Don’t want to have peaked before the big event !

Akers

If you’re now tapering I’m starting to worry. As this is my first STW meetup ride, have I entered an unofficial race that I don’t know about!?!

Is this a “First rule of Fight Club…” moment! 😉

weeksy

LOL i was kidding mate 🙂  I’ve got the Pilgrims of Zwift ride in 30 mins… Although, trust me when i tell you… I’m not fast, not in anyones world or imagination.

Scamper
    Free Member

Was up there y’day and things have improved from the big thaw 10 days ago when the main trails were getting a right hammering esp the newly refurbished sections. It’s still wet though. A lot of the off piste stuff could do with being left alone to recover a bit, but the runs off section 20 are still fine.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Might be up for this. Can I just ask what sort of bikes people will ride? Don’t want to be underbiked.

Cheers.

boobs

It’s Swinley, a hardtail is fine, actually a singlespeed is fine.  HTH.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If I turn up (50/50, I need to finish some decorating tonight to earn my pass) I’ll be on a rigid single speed fat bike, you can never be underbiked at Swinley it just makes the odd bit a little harder!

Tiger6791

Can I just ask what sort of bikes people will ride? Don’t want to be underbiked.

Unless you turn up on a Road bike, you’ll be okay or overbiked 🙂

cokie

Sadly can’t make this anymore. Car shopping has been pushed forward 🙁

Can we do another when the weathers nicer?

Enjoy all!

Tiger6791

Even though I’m not committed yet do we have a plan?

Say meet at the big listening tubes in front on the Lookout @ 9am

or are we just going to ride around looking for portly middle aged men driving Audi’s and unloading Niche single speed bikes with bizarre handlebars?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

or are we just going to ride around looking for portly middle aged men driving Audi’s and unloading Niche single speed bikes with bizarre handlebars?

I don’t drive an Audi.

Akers

Weeksy Said

Lets stick with 9am then guys… I’ll be starting on the Whyte T-130SX in sky blue and be by the satellite dish thing just in front of main entrance.

this seems to be the planned meeting point…

weeksy

T-130 for me.

Meeting at the dish things 9am.

frogstomp

I’m in.. green Chameleon.. will be happy to ride at the back to make everyone else look good (cough)..

Tiger6791

Singlespeed Unicycle with Alt bars will be on the roof of my Quattro All Road S

Tiger6791

Permission granted, see you at 9

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Sounds like a variety of bikes. Threat of snow so it will have to be the fat bike and it’s the only one ready. Apologies. Will try to make it for 9.

weeksy

No one needs to apologise for any bike, it’s all just blokes on bikes messing about.

I’m looking forward to it. Just stuck some air in tyres as it’s not moved since NYD, bit of a check, put seat post on charge, will scoot in and lube chain etc. All good

weeksy

Oh.

Went to lube chain. My cranks don’t move lol. Not a problem, bottom bracket dead. 2 min swap.

Oh. My tool doesn’t fit! The swingarm is in the way on one side!

I’ll be on the Parkwood!

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t know Whytes had press fit… 😉

weeksy

Lol HT2 race Face. Last time I used it, it was a mud bath at Swinley, it seems to have died after that.

Bought this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acor-Bottom-Bracket-Tools-Fits-Shimano-Hollowtech-II-SRAM-GXP-MTB-Bike-Cranks/142529956071?epid=1023800419&hash=item212f7288e7:g:Z0oAAOSw3gJZNqsQ

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Parole applications filed in triplicate, good behaviour delivered along with copious amounts of tea, and permission has been obtained.

I’ll be there at 9.

portly 30something man cheapskateing and riding in from muzzys kebab van on a  niche single speed bike with bizarre handlebars?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Swinley 17th March ? (This coming Sat)’ is closed to new replies.