Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Svalbard Incident
  • rkk01
    Free Member

I don’t know about snobbery. Certainly a lot of poorly informed / uninformed comments.

I’m probably one of the “chippiest” posters on here. Take it or leave it as far as my comments are concerned. BSES inspired me to do a geology degree, based on the scientific fieldwork aspect, and that is still part of my career today. I came to BSES from a comp, as had the previous people who I knew and inspired me to apply. I went back as a leader because I wanted to pass on some of the professional field science skills I had subsequently acquired during my career.

As for the holiday bit? Well I never thought carrying 80-100 pound packs for several days, including all your food, fuel, camping, survival and science kit as a holiday. More like a military operation perhaps?

I can see the temptation of looking at this as some gap year jaunt for rich kids. The gap year Market is one that BSES has to compete in, but the reality is (was?) that they precede that Market / fashion by about 50-60 years, and offer something quite different

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

it’s only a bear guys, it was killing folk and got shot.

is it liberal pussy day on STW today?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes Fred, really.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Really, Al? Really?

Care to explain why then?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member
    I don’t know about snobbery. Certainly a lot of poorly informed / uninformed comments.

I’m probably one of the “chippiest” posters on here. Take it or leave it as far as my comments are concerned. BSES inspired me to do a geology degree, based on the scientific fieldwork aspect, and that is still part of my career today. I came to BSES from a comp, as had the previous people who I knew and inspired me to apply. I went back as a leader because I wanted to pass on some of the professional field science skills I had subsequently acquired during my career.

As for the holiday bit? Well I never thought carrying 80-100 pound packs for several days, including all your food, fuel, camping, survival and science kit as a holiday. More like a military operation perhaps?

I can see the temptation of looking at this as some gap year jaunt for rich kids. The gap year Market is one that BSES has to compete in, but the reality is (was?) that they precede that Market / fashion by about 50-60 years, and offer something quite different

please stop responding to trolls with facts and first hand experiences. Some people just see what fits their view of the world. Chances of changing their mind on an internet forum = 0

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fred you assume those kids would not cope because they come from a different and more posh background.

SImples

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Do I? Where did I say anything like that, Al? Where?

You’ve just added 2 and 2 together and made 39.

Find where I made any reference at all to anyone’s background. Go on. Off you go. And don’t come back until you’ve found the evidence to back your statement up with.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh go on then what point (if any) were you trying to make?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well tbh Al I was merely trying to make a humorous reference to events in Tottenham (High St rather than a council estate now I realise), but I don’t really think it was in very good taste actually. 😳

IE, you don’t need to go all the way to Svalbard to find excitement and danger oh I can’t be bothered any more.

kimbers

whats the difference between a polar bear and prince william?

a polar bear doesnt have to marry kate middleton if it wants to eat some posh ****

i g m c
    (and prossibly a ban)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

kimbers, probably better to substitute Mike Tyndall for Prince Willy there.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

whats the difference between a polar bear and prince william?

A polar bear is quite happy to live in the Frozen North, whereas Prince William prefers warmer climes.

That’s not the answer, is it….?

😳

matt_outandabout

Well, I partially trained some of these kids and all of the others on the BSES / Wild fox Norway trip, so a topic close to home.

I paddled the length of Loch Tay with them after they had camped wild for 2 nights, walked over big Scottish hills with no paths, spent a day being pushed to do all sorts of random team challenges and scary high ropes stuff. I saw a bunch of young people who were way beyond what they though they were capable of physically and mentally. BSES trips are not holidays. They are true wilderness journeys with all the physical and emotional challenges that brings.

Half of the particpants were from really rough places in London, Manchester and Birmingham. For them it was a massive challenge not to be nicking my kit or the minibus at the start of the event. By the end they were telling my staff off for leaving kit around and returning it to the owner.

Some of you need to re-think risk (a main reason I bike/paddle/climb etc) and judging people before you know full facts.

My thoughts are with the families of the people involved.

matt_outandabout

The bear attack is an absolute tragedy for the individuals involved, but it would be an even bigger tragedy if organisations like BSES no can no longer take young adults to where the wild places are…..

^this.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tell that to the parents of the dead lad.

It’s exciting and character building and all that, but it’s not essential, is it? I mean, there are other places which are just as wild but don’t have polar bears running about.

cynic-al
    Free Member

oh I can’t be bothered any more.

🙄

matt_outandabout

It’s exciting and character building and all that, but it’s not essential, is it? I mean, there are other places which are just as wild but don’t have polar bears running about.

Better not get in a car tomorrow. Statistically the most common accident on expeditions, or any school trip is a car or bus accident.
    My ‘adventure center’ is 3x safer than school, and that is significantly safer than home for children.
    You stay wrapped up in a place with apparent risk not real risk – some random illness will get you before living life does.
    *edit*
    read this while you are there http://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Fear-Growing-Averse-Society/dp/1903080088/ref=pd_sim_b_1

highclimber
    Free Member

Jees guys, A young adult has lost his life and a family have lost their son. most frigteningly of all is that his peers witnessed all this happen. they were then themselves injured in a freak accident involving a WILD animal.

Give it a rest and have a bit of sympathy for those who loved him.

bruk

My initial thought on hearing of this incident was thinking that it sounded like a Gap year gone wrong. However I then wandered off into the internet and discovered a bit more about BSES and how it’s not all about providing the rich with a way of off-loading their teenagers for a bit of the summer holidays.

I think it would be a shame if the opportunities this charity provide were to closed down. There may well need to be some more investigation into where it is appropriate for them to go and the support provided but it should carry on.

1 good thing that may happen from the death of this explorer is that the BSES may become more wideknown and possibily increase the awareness of this organistion beyond it’s current scope. I would have loved to have known about such a thing many years ago when I was younger.

Hopefully the news coverage will open up the charity to more support and more chances for people from all over to apply.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Better not get in a car tomorrow

Quite easy, as I don’t own a car.

You stay wrapped up in a place with apparent risk not real risk – some random illness will get you before living life does.

Yawn. I’ve bin to Norway several times, and had instruction in handling firearms there. Bin out on my own in areas where bears and wolves are known to mooch about in. How about that then, eh?

All I’m saying is, coon’t areas where polar bears live be avoided, y’know, to help avoid tragedies like this, and also the need to have to kill an endangered species if it does attack humans? I mean, you’re in his back yard, not your own.

grum
    Free Member

Half of the particpants were from really rough places in London, Manchester and Birmingham. For them it was a massive challenge not to be nicking my kit or the minibus at the start of the event. By the end they were telling my staff off for leaving kit around and returning it to the owner.

Fairy nuff, I stand corrected. I just saw the name Horatio and my inverse snob-knee started jerking wildly.

And the stuff about risk – as Elfin said, it’s not that people shouldn’t go there because they should be ‘wrapped up in cotton wool’, it’s more about not messing up the habitat of (and killing) endangered species due to non-essential trips.

aracer
    Free Member

If they want a bit of a thrill, something a bit dangerous and risky they can bore their friends with over dinner for years to come, why not take a party of them into say, I dunno, a council estate in Tottenham?

They’re after something a bit dangerous, not suicidal.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I mean, there are other places which are just as wild but don’t have polar bears running about.

Much of the world has dangerous animals in the wild though. I’m in Canada at the moment (Banff today, moving onto Jasper tomorrow) and so far this week we’ve had several trails closed near the hotel ’cause of bear activity plus a little girl was attacked by a cougar (which was then hunted and killed) at one of the places we were at (Kananaskis).

rkk01
    Free Member

When I went to the Yukon with BSES we had a number of brushes with grizzlies. A young bear had to be trapped in base camp as it was raiding food supplies, a few of my team had to resort to tree climbing when a mother an 2 cubs turned up, and one night we were all bricking it as a bear(s) was pushing our tent around. Next morning there were bear prints all over camp. Fortunately we had done as we had been trained and stashed all our food up a high tree – otherwise the bear would have been in the tent, not outside of it!!

Point is, we were all jealous of the previous expedition that had gone to Svalbard and Greenland, as they were armed. Wandering around in grizzly country did not warrant carrying firearms – regarded as a greater risk to us. Wandering around in polar bear country did warrant firearms, because the polar bears will actively hunt humans.

As Epic Steve says, plenty of places were there are dangerous wild animals- we really are quite sheltered in the UK. BSES are very experienced in Svalbard and Greenland expeditions ( I cite these countries because of the polar bears). From what I understand having spoon to expeditioners, coming across these creatures is very common on these expeds. This one appears unusual in that the normal procedures to scare the bear off don’t appear to have worked. Starving bear perhaps? That possibly indicates that there are too many polar bears – ie more than the environment can sustain….

rkk01
    Free Member

Forgot to add…
    …good to see a few more posters weighing in to add ther (positive) thoughts onBSES and expeditions in general!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Svalbard Incident’ is closed to new replies.