Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Svalbard Incident
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

Just been reading to that incident with the young Lad being Killed in svalbard.

I deeply understand that family’s grievances, and it shouldn’t happen to anyone. However my opinion is that you go on an expedition like that because of the excitement that there is a small risk.
    If you don’t want to run any risk in life, stay watching TV.

Secondly the Killing of that polar Bear. That group was invading the Polar Bear’s habitat which is extremely endangered. Where is there any sense in killing that Bear? It’s not a abnormal Bear its just reacted in its defense, so now we’ve lost another polar bear aswell.

jam-bo

Err. I get the impression it was kill or be killed.

I know what I’d do.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“Where is there any sense in killing that Bear?”

Simple really, sad as it maybe, it has learnt that humans are relatively easy prey and considering the size of it’s territory,surprisingly common in it’s environment. Statistically, many apex predators that have killed humans have a very high likelihood of doing it again.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Statistically, many apex predators that have killed humans have a very high likelihood of doing it again.

So kill them all then??

I’m not an animal/eco/wildlife warrior at all but I do think there is plenty of places on earth where we can just let wildlife get on with itself. I don’t go putting my hands in a wasp’s nest so I don’t get stung…

toys19
    Free Member

There isnt even a discussion, the bear was in the process of noshing on a few humans, it was them or us.

andyl
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Err. I get the impression it was kill or be killed.

I know what I’d do.

This ^

yes very sad story for everyone affected

yes its a shame a bear was also killed

but its not like the bear killed the boy then ran off. It also took chunks out of 4 (?) others so I am guessing it was sticking around for the full set.

Jamie
    Free Member

I know what I’d do.

Agreed.

….we are talking about shitting ones pants and curling up into the foetal position, while awaiting death to rain down from above in the form of polar bear hammer claws?

iDave
    Free Member

If you were standing with a gun in your hands while a bear was attacking/eating people and you were wondering about whether there was any sense in killing the bear, I’d like to think that having taken the gun off you and shot the bear, I’d then shoot you.

sweepy
    Free Member

I like bears as much as the next man, and i’d have felt like shit about it, but i’d have shot the bear.
    If I could have stopped myself running.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I cant help but think that this group werent fully prepared for a polar bear attack. Round the clock lookouts, trip wires, flares etc….

ade
    Free Member

The bear wasn’t killed after the event, like we’d destroy a dog for fear of it doing it again – it was shot during a frenzied attack, as others have suggested: kill or be killed.

They’re beautiful yet terrible predators, and you don’t mess about when you’re in their habitat, much like tigers, lions, jaguars and many of the other figurehead endangered species. It’s a tragedy for all involved, but they knew what they were getting themselves into, which is why they were armed in the first place.

What sickens me isn’t the individual stories, but the casual disrespect shown for their environment by the oil companies intent on drilling in the Arctic. That’s got a far worse potential outcome for the bears than one death. Imagine the sight of one of those magnificent animals covered in oil.

Jamie
    Free Member

Imagine the sight of one of those magnificent animals covered in oil.

imnotverygood

I’m a card carrying vegetarian save-the-whales tree-hugger.

I’d shoot the bear.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s the law of the jungle, innit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Apparently they had trip wire-flares, but they didn’t work.

I feel bad but I’ll fess up (at the risk of indignation) the story has made me chuckle.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I thought it was a bit off for the Beeb to describe the dead lad as an Eaton pupil. Presumably the injured lads were only half-Eaton pupils?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Trying not to snigger 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

Comedy gold Tucker 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Some friends have been on similar expedition to svalbard (geogrpahy field work) and they were all taught how to use a rifle to kill polar bears that threatened the camp. Part of the initiation stuff before you go out to the northern flows apparently.

psychle
    Free Member

So… it was an Eton Mess then?

rkk01
    Free Member

I’m not speaking for BSES, but I have been on two of their expeditions. To the Yukon as a “Young Explorer” and to Iceland as a leader.

BSES’ approach always used to be to engender a true sense of adventure and exploring, including all of the risks and responsibilities that go along with that. As a leader, in 2000, I was concerned, but somewhat pleased that they were still able to balance these in an increasingly “protective” society. The bear attack is an absolute tragedy for the individuals involved, but it would be an even bigger tragedy if organisations like BSES no can no longer take young adults to where the wild places are…..

MSP

They are not expeditions, they are adventure holidays labelled as expeditions to make them sound more than they are. While I am sure they are usually very nice and educational to those that have the opportunity, it wouldn’t be a tragedy if that opportunity was removed.

grum
    Free Member

:inversesnobbery:

Some friends have been on similar expedition to svalbard

Is it something that all posh people do then? I had no idea.

The bear attack is an absolute tragedy for the individuals involved, but it would be an even bigger tragedy if organisations like BSES no can no longer take rich young adults to where the wild places are…..

FTFY

They are not expeditions, they are adventure holidays labelled as expeditions to make them sound more than they are.

+1

neninja
    Free Member

Where is there any sense in killing that Bear? It’s not a abnormal Bear its just reacted in its defense, so now we’ve lost another polar bear aswell.

The most inane comment I’ve read in ages.

The bear wasn’t defending itself, it thought they were dinner.

Would you have given it a cuddle and politely apologised for being there?

grum
    Free Member

The bear wasn’t defending itself, it thought they were dinner.

Would you have given it a cuddle and politely apologised for being there?

Yes the rights of rich kids having a lovely holiday should obviously take precedence over an endangered species in it’s own habitat, doing what comes naturally (hunting).

I think once the group were there and being attacked clearly shooting it was the sensible option, but it’s not as if they needed to be there or were there doing valuable scientific research is it?

zokes
    Free Member

…or were there doing valuable scientific research is it?

Funny you should say that – some of my collaborators work up there quite regularly. I suspect they’ll be less blase about having to carry a rifle with them when they’re out sampling….

valleydaddy
    Free Member

A unfortunate incident that could have been avoided by the people not going to Svalbard in the first place.

Why do people go to these places where we are the hunted and then get all upset when someone gets attacked – they were food as far as the Polar bear was concerned.

I agree that once it attacked it needed to be shot to protect the others from almost certain slaughter but it was another needless waste of an animals life that could have been avoided by them not being there in the first place.

A poor episode of events

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If I was rich enough to go on an adventure holiday, I’d do it and not feel at all bad about the fact that others aren’t.

“Rich” “Kids” are no more or less entitled to do whatever they like with their money than you are. Grow up.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

but it would be an even bigger tragedy if organisations like BSES no can no longer take young adults to where the wild places are…..

No it wouldn’t don’t be daft.

If they want a bit of a thrill, something a bit dangerous and risky they can bore their friends with over dinner for years to come, why not take a party of them into say, I dunno, a council estate in Tottenham?

rkk01
    Free Member

Sprey to disappoint those above, but the expeditions I went on were pretty expeditionary. It may have changed over the last 10 years, so of course, if you have personal experience to back up your views I’ll vlast be convinced that my views are out of date. As a teenager my folks couldn’t pay for me to go- the idea is you raise the money through sponsorship. I did.

Yes, there have always been a large number of public school types on BSES, but also plenty of ordinary kids as well. the expedition I was a leader on we had a range from public school cadet force to a NE England council estate lad (whose “enthusiasm” for pranks / trouble was soon turned around to be very loyal and grafting team member). If you want to talk “tokens” we also had 2 “disabled” in our team of 12. One deaf girl and an amputee.

cranberry
    Free Member

If they want a bit of a thrill, something a bit dangerous and risky they can bore their friends with over dinner for years to come, why not take a party of them into say, I dunno, a council estate in Tottenham?

An excellent idea – they could use their rifles to make Tottenham a better place for its law abiding community.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Snobbery doesn’t look any better when it’s inverted.

neninja
    Free Member

I wonder if some of the views above would be different if the victims were not public school pupils but a group of poor kids sent on an adventure by a charity?

Why shouldn’t people still go on adventures or expeditions from any background?

To address the issue of ‘they shouldn’t have been there, it’s the polar bears habitat’ –
    Mountain bikers ride in places globally where we might damage the ecology or come into contact with potentially dangerous animals. Should people stop riding those places?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Snobbery doesn’t look any better when it’s inverted.

Where’s the snobbery?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

From the BSES website…

BSES is strengthening its commitment to youth development by progressing our Dangoor Next Generation programme that targets the kind of young people that would not normally even consider joining an expedition or have the opportunity to do so. We believe that the unique and powerful development benefits of wilderness expeditions are important for all young people, whatever their background.

I can’t see anything on their site that suggests they only work with young people from uber-priveleged backgrounds, so perhaps some of them may be from Tottenham in the first place.

franksinatra

Quality quote from the father of one of the victims

Patrick’s father, Terry, said his son punched the bear in the face to try to
    escape. “The bear got into the tent where Patrick was with two friends and
    he just grabbed hold of the other boy and killed him,” he said. “I don’t
    really know why he chose the boy — perhaps he was closest.

“If he looked at Patrick he was the chubbiest one, he probably had more meat
    on him, bless him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Elfinsafety –
    Where’s the snobbery?

Too close for you to see it.

rkk01
    Free Member

To those who suggested that these are holidays packaged as expeditions – you are way off the mark. When I went to Iceland in 2000 I was not only a group leader, I was also “chief scientist”. My own group spent several weeks camped in a lava field dessert and produced a topographic map of icesheet retreat markers and outflow channels. The mapping was undertaken using GPS and traditional stadia optical theodolites. It wasn’t extending the boundaries of science, but it was extending the boundaries of scientific fieldwork for the teenagers in my team. At least 2 were inspired to get themselves into college doing geology.

Other groups were set up on the icecap studying meteorology and ice melt rates, another group were stream gauging ice sheet meltwater flows and a fourth were also making ice sheet edge maps under the tutelage of a leader from the Ordnance Survey.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Too close for you to see it.

Really Al? Really?

No snobbery at all. People have simply imagined such things, as is usually the case on here.

Sigh.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“So kill them all then??” er……..not actually what I was suggesting at all, in anyway whatsoever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Svalbard Incident’ is closed to new replies.